09 Real Deal College Football Discussion/No Homers - Lets geh geh GET IT!

laugh.gif
Mangino

I'd whup his fat cold cut eatin *@% if he ever thought about layin a hand on me.

Originally Posted by langfor5

Speaking of buyouts and firing...word on the street is that Mark Mangino may be on his way out of Lawrence for an alleged physical altercation with a player and other "multiple" incidents. I have always heard rumors about MM's anger but its funny how it is all coming to light during one of his worst seasons at KU.

Hell, if this is indeed true it pretty much sums up our season really. A player can't get away from a guy that weights 350+. No wonder we are in the midst of a 5 game losing streak.

I seen earlier they were doing an internal investigation, but that Mangino had reported everything to the AD and told them what was going on... Should beinteresting...

Charlie Weis buyout...
laugh.gif
smh.gif
I thought Sherman's would be a tough pill for boosters to swallow...

Red shirt Nyshier Oliver was arrested for trying to steal a $120 shirt just before the memphis game
laugh.gif
these Young dudes are some gad damn fools

UCLA got 3 star TE john Young out of the same high school Anthony Barr and slick Rick son goes to

also got 4 star LB Aramide Olaniyan out of VA

Ive heard the same about Powell being a Gator soon.

Last I heard on Elam he is solid.

Like Dre said Dorsey has major work to do on his grades to get eligible.

Whats the latest with Jeff Luc? :
nerd.gif

[h2]Leach and Louisville[/h2]

The latest from the coaching rumor mill is that there is a mutual interest between Texas Tech coach Mike Leach and Louisville.

It is almost a certainty that Cardinals' coach Steve Kragthorpe will be relieved of his duties after this, his third season. Louisville is 4-6 with games left against South Florida and Rutgers. It needs to win those to have a chance to go bowling for the first time since 2006. Kragthorpe is 15-19 at Louisville.

The school is already assured of its first consecutive non-winning season since 1987.

Leach just went through a bitter contract extension negotiation earlier this year. But he emerged with a who's-your-daddy chip after a battle with AD Gerald Myers. Leach owes no buyout if he leaves. The Red Raiders are 6-4 which ties for their worst 10-game start since 1999, the year before Leach was hired.

The colorful coach is known to have a wandering eye. He interviewed with Washington last year and was reportedly interested in the opening at UCLA before Rick Neuheisel took over in 2008.

"If there are communications [from Louisville], it's not been with us," said a Leach representative on Tuesday.

Louisville AD, Tom Jurich, is one of the more aggressive ADs in the country. He got Rick Pitino to coach basketball and moved quickly after Bobby Petrino left to coach the Atlanta Falcons after the 2006 season. At the time, Kragthorpe was one college football's hottest coaching properties.

Such a move would make sense. Texas Tech is coming off its best season in Leach's decade-long stay. It went 11-2, losing to Mississippi in the Cotton Bowl in 2008.

The Big 12 South Division is one of the most rugged in the game with annual powers Texas and Oklahoma in control. A move to the less competitive Big East would allow Leach better access to a conference title and BCS bowl.

Leach is in the first year of the extension which pays him $2.8 million this season. That includes an $800,000 bonus he will be paid on Jan. 1 if he is still at Texas Tech.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/18374274

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Red shirt Nyshier Oliver was arrested for trying to steal a $120 shirt just before the memphis game
laugh.gif
these Young dudes are some gad damn fools
So where did he shop at? And no *+#!@+# way I would pay $120 for a dam t-shirt....who in the blue hell who do that?

out of all the jobs leach name has been link to over the last few years that UL one makes the most sense

him and that offense would pretty much own the big east

how is leach at recruiting tho?

So a update on the Mangino situation...apparently this has to do with a current player alleging that Mangino, I kid you not "poked" him a weekleading up before the Colorado game this year. Now that this has all gone public a couple former players have come out of the wood work claiming that Manginoverbally abused them and didn't motivate them in the "proper" way.

You ask me, it sounds like a bunch of guys who didn't play when they were here or aren't playing the minutes they thought they would coming out andcomplaining now that Mangino is in the midst of a horrible 5 game losing streak.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

does he have to be a great recruiter? all he needs are servicable guys, no? guys to run his system...he doesn't need the JimmyClausen's and AJ Green's and whatnot. hell i think Peanut Whitehead was the only 5 star recruit that Petrino ever landed at Louisville.

I think Peanut Whitehead was only a 4*.

And with the system Leach runs, he doesn't really have to be a great recruiter. He gets guys to fit his system, then he's just gotta plug and play yearafter year...

That said, I don't think Leach has ever taken over the recruitment of a kid since he's been at Tech. (I'm not sure if it's common practice fora head coach to take over the recruitment of some of the more highly-sought after players, but I know of at least a few that do.) He fills his staff with guysthat are pretty solid at recruiting and lets them do their job. He has a heck of an eye for scouting players and offering kids that will fit his system,though.

As a fan of A&M and a fan of Louisville, I would love to see Leach at Louisville. Especially if he can bring Ruffin McNeill along...

Not sure if many of y'all know about A&M's Bonfire tradition, but 10 years ago today (right around this time - 2:45) 12 died after the stackcollapsed. There was a pretty good article about the football team dealing with the collapse and the Texas game that year in the school newspaper today. Goodread if any of y'all care:
Spoiler [+]
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper657/stills/83jt176o.jpg

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper657/stills/97fhjp50.jpg
[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]
Media Credit: File Photo

Former A&M Head Coach R.C. Slocum and the Aggie football team stand outside Kyle Field before a game.
[Click to enlarge]
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]
Media Credit: File Photo

Members of the 1999 Texas A&M football team help carry the fallen logs at Stack the day after the collapse. The team cancelled practice in order to help remove the debris.
[Click to enlarge]
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]Nov. 26, 2009, the Texas A&M football team will face off with the Texas Longhorns at Kyle Field, but "Beating the Hell Outta t.u." won't be the only thing on the minds of the athletes that day.

On Thanksgiving this year, exactly 10 years will have passed since the 1999 game against Texas, a contest that brought two rivals closer than ever before and united the Aggie family.

Eight days before the Aggies defeated the Longhorns 20-14 in College Station, Bonfire collapsed and killed 12 current and former A&M students.

Former Texas A&M athletic director Wally Groff said he remembers the call he got that night.

"I was in town and asleep when someone called me," Groff said. "It was early in the morning, and I wasn't sure who it was, they told me the terrible news."

The Texas A&M football team took action immediately the next day, cancelling practice to help clear the thousands of logs from the site of the tragedy.

Former Head Coach R.C. Slocum said he called a team meeting to discuss the plan for the day and what the team could do to help.

"The whole team showed up over there," Slocum said. "I think that helped, too, helped the team and helped the students. For the team to be working together like that, that was something special."

Former A&M quarterback Randy McCown took the trip with his fellow teammates out to the polo fields and said the team jumped right into the strange scene.

"It was a tough atmosphere there at Stack. They were 12 hours into the removal phase," McCown said. "I think the people there saw the determination in our eyes, and it just made sense for us to help."

McCown said moving the logs helped bring the team even closer together during the time of hardship.

"It was amazing teamwork moving those logs," McCown said. "I grew up on a sawmill and I remember thinking that there was no way these 20 or 30 guys could move this huge log, but we did. It was one of those things I'll never forget."

After a day of helping with the fall site, the Aggies got back to work on the field to prepare for the Texas game, in itself a difficult decision.

"Everything was up in the air about whether or not the game was going to be played," Slocum said. "But I felt strongly that we should play the game. Everyone was so torn apart at the time, I thought it would be good for our students to be here with their families and I thought it would be good for the Aggie family."

Slocum said he knew practicing would put a toll on his players, but the players understood the significance of the work.

"I said, 'Let's take a few hours a day, practice and get ready to play,'" Slocum said. "I didn't expect a 'rah-rah' type of deal, and the guys didn't either. They just quietly did their work and got prepared for the game."

That Saturday, the Aggies took the field in College Station after the numerous pregame activities honored those fallen only a week earlier.

"The pregame ceremonies were spectacular," Groff said. "I vividly remember that they released white doves before the game. It was real evidence that the teams had total respect for each other in that time of mourning."

McCown said the respect was evident from the Texas team, but the rivalry was still present as well.

"Leading up to and after the game, there was a lot of respect between both teams," McCown said. "But when the ball kicked off, it was all back to business."

When the record-breaking crowd for a football game in Texas assembled at Kyle Field, the rivalry was renewed. McCown said the team knew what needed to be done.

"It was one of those things where you didn't have to state the obvious," McCown said. "The look in everyone's eyes; everyone knew what had to happen on the field that day."

As the game commenced, the Longhorns quickly took the lead on two drives led by freshman quarterback Chris Simms. The Aggies trailed 16-6 going into halftime.

"The whole time I coached, I've never more felt more pressure to win a football game." Slocum said. "I just felt like we absolutely had to win that game. We just had so much sadness, and that week had been so hard that we didn't need any more hardship."

In the second half, the Aggie defense found its fire, holding Texas to just two first downs.

Ja'mar Toombs led the Aggies in rushing with 126 yards on 37 carries, and brought A&M within three points with a 9-yard touchdown run in the third quarter.

"Ja'mar Toombs played like he was possessed that day," Slocum said. "That was one of his better games at Kyle Field."

With 4:02 left in the fourth quarter, McCown found receiver Matt Bumgardner for a 14-yard touchdown pass that turned out to be the game-winning play.

"The fact that they won meant so much to the Aggie family," Groff said. "The team felt like it was just something that they could do for their fallen comrades."

Slocum said the team and the A&M family were closer that week than ever before.

"Everyone was all in one mental state at that time," Slocum said. "We all were feeling the same hurt, we all felt the need to win the game, but we all recognized the relative importance of the game compared to what had taken place that week."

McCown said the win and the support from all sides showed the character and spirit of Texas A&M University.

"It really shows a testament to the fortitude of being an Aggie," McCown said. "That in the hardest of times, we will not be shaken and we will not give up."

i'm almost positive Peanut was a 5 star, in at least one recruiting service, be it rivals or scout...either way, just going along with what we'resaying, especially since he was defensive player.

and i would hate to see Leach at Louisville.
laugh.gif
i like Krags.
pimp.gif

Dammmm this dude just told me expect Powell & Riley to join Shaw in Gainesville

*bitter beer face*
I'd expect Powell, but not Riley unless Dorsey and/or Elam pull a switch. I don't see Elam switching due to his long-term relationshipwith Meyer, and Dorsey seems to have gotten over his anxiety with us bringing in other players... Personally, I'd like Dorsey to get a shot at receiverwith him running a Deion-esque 40yd dash

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

i'm almost positive Peanut was a 5 star, in at least one recruiting service, be it rivals or scout...either way, just going along with what we're saying, especially since he was defensive player.

and i would hate to see Leach at Louisville.
laugh.gif
i like Krags.
pimp.gif

Yeah Whitehead was a 5 star and according to Scout was the #3 DE in the country. I didn't even know he was that nice.

does he have to be a great recruiter? all he needs are servicable guys, no? guys to run his system...he doesn't need the Jimmy Clausen's and AJ Green's and whatnot.

correct. If he gets one or two playmakers in that system, he will do work.

If Leach leaves, I'd bet Ruffin McNeal is the next head coach at Texas Tech...

Leach isn't a bad recruiter, but he's never been able to out-recruit Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and LSU in Texas... Even Okie State lately... His2010 class would only be his second Top 25 class this decade, the other being the one that brought him Crabtree...

He doesn't need great recruits, but I'd bet he has as much or more success recruiting at Louisville than he does Texas Tech...

does he have to be a great recruiter? all he needs are servicable guys, no? guys to run his system...he doesn't need the Jimmy Clausen's and AJ Green's and whatnot.

correct. If he gets one or two playmakers in that system, he will do work.
Enter Ben and Javares McRoy.

Back
Top Bottom