09 Real Deal College Football Discussion/No Homers - Lets geh geh GET IT!

That was @ the Huskie fan up there.

I figured Bud just took the phone call to get another raise from VT.

Mark Richt got one more sorry yr before he is Fired... It always starts with forcing out of Assistants...
when was the last time an administration made their coach change staff members and i the head coach wound up keeping his job ? I cant recall

laugh.gif

I wonder if Coach Beamer told his D when Bud Foster placed a call about the FSU opening....
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by dreClark

laugh.gif

I wonder if Coach Beamer told his D when Bud Foster placed a call about the FSU opening....
nerd.gif

Who did you hear that from?

I can see his reasoning, he's getting no looks at major HC jobs since he's been here. FSU might be a better springboard and he'd have a bettertalent pipeline.

But it doesn't matter, because he's not going anywhere. Basically he is getting paid what he was already going to get paid for the next five years, butif he is still here five years down the line he gets a TON of money. He just said today he wouldn't even take the Cincy job if he had a shot at it...so youknow we must be offering him a $!** ton.

DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR BUD FOSTER

ON TEAMS BEING INTERESTED IN HIM: "Urban Meyer (Florida's coach) called me. Jimbo Fisher (FSU's coach) called me and Mark Richt (Georgia's coach) has called me. Some of it is just conversation. The Georgia deal ... that could be of interest on my part. I've got no kids at home, that type of thing."

ON WHAT TECH DID TO KEEP HIM: "I got a nice annuity package. That'll come out later, once we get it finalized."

ON WHY HE'D STAY AT TECH, BEYOND THE NEW FINANCIAL COMPENSATION: "Coach Beamer has been extremely good to me. I want to ride this thing out with him. We've been doing this a long time together and there's no reason to stop there. Let's finish this thing. It's a good deal all the way around. I'm extremely pleased."

ON WHAT HE'D DO IF CINCINNATI CALLED AND OFFERED ITS HEAD-COACHING JOB: "That would be hard to do right now, to be honest with you, unless they're going to come up with a lot of money."

ON THE DEAL BEING THAT SWEET: "It's good enough for me. Obviously, the right head-coaching job, that would offset what this would do, but it would have to be the right job. And obviously if I were to leave, that annuity would be null and void. It's making it worth my while to stay. Let me just say that. I'm excited about it. Very excited."

ON THE BOTTOM LINE ABOUT WHAT HAS HAPPENED THE LAST COUPLE OF WEEKS: "The bottom line is this: I've been approached by (teams). The strongest was Georgia. And Tech came through with a package that's going to keep me here. I'm pleased with that. This thing is five years. It's not official yet. It will be made official after the bowl game. But on the table right now, there's a nice situation for me to want to continue here and stay here. I've been very fortunate that Coach Beamer has allowed me to be on his staff and I feel honored by that. But at the same time, I feel obligated to him. We started this thing together. He's the guy, when this thing (schools pursuing him) kind of came on, I went and talked to him - more for advice than anything else. He has helped me in this decision and I'm very proud of that and very pleased with that. I'm pleased with what Coach has done for me and Jim Weaver has done for me and what Dr. Steger and the administration has done here. We've put a lot of time and effort into this place. I feel good about where this program is and the hard work that we've put into it. It shows a lot of appreciation."

ON WHETHER THERE'S ANY HEAD-COACH-IN-WAITING CLAUSES IN THIS NEW DEAL: "No, there's nothing in there about being a head coach or a head coach in waiting or anything of that nature."

old article but very interesting.

Oversight vs. privacy at OSU

Nationally, the Buckeyes rank high for NCAA violations, many of them minor and self-reported. OSU also is among schools that put a clamp on details about investigations, saying a federal law prohibits their release.

By Jill Riepenhoff and Todd Jones

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

FERPA_osu_oversight_05-31-09_A14_7ME1ETB.jpg

Kyle RobertsonDispatch
An NCAA investigator came to Columbus last summer and questioned an Ohio State football player about the special treatment he received during his campusrecruiting visits.
The Dispatch learned about the incident through a public-records request for NCAA violations, but few details are known.

OSU edited the records, removing the football player's identity, where he stayed and the dates of his visit. Officials said they had to protect hisprivacy -- and that of every other athlete -- because of a federal law.

Since 2000, Ohio State has reported to the NCAA more than 375 violations -- the most of any of the 69 Football Bowl Subdivisionschools that provided documents to The Dispatch through public-records requests. Most infractions were minor -- a coach called a recruit toomany times, for example. Others, however, left athletes benched, fined or at least embarrassed.

The public likely will never know the specifics, because records of all the violations were heavily edited by Ohio State in the name of student privacy.Ohio State says the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act ties its hands. If OSU releases what it thinks is private information, the U.S. Department ofEducation could withhold federal funding.

http://

In 35 years, though, that's never happened at Ohio State or any other college.

Ohio State Registrar Brad Myers said that, based on his interpretation of FERPA, revealing names of rule-breaking students is "an invasion ofprivacy."

Critics, such as the former U.S. senator who wrote the law and a national network of college professors, say that secrecy prevents oversight of suchprograms. OSU has the country's largest athletic department, which has a $115 million budget. Until March, it had spent three years on NCAA probation forviolations that cost the school at least $1.3 million in legal fees and penalties.

FERPA has prompted coaches and athletic department officials to give vague statements about why an athlete isn't playing. For example:

• Football coach Jim Tressel said before the national championship game against Florida in 2007 that one player could miss the game because of an injury.Records show that one benched player had failed a drug test four days before the game, which disqualified him from competition. That same player also missedthe entire 2005 season.

• When an OSU football recruit suddenly left town before classes began in 2002, former athletic director Andy Geiger said only that it wasn't anacademic problem. He didn't elaborate. Records show that the recruit and his family had received thousands of dollars in financial help, against NCAArules.

• Tressel has used the term "violation of team rules" to explain the suspensions of at least 10 players. Such infractions can range from missingcurfew or class to criminal behavior. One of those team-rule violators was Troy Smith, who missed two games as a penalty for accepting cash from a booster.Another was involved in an academic-fraud investigation by Ohio State. University officials found no wrongdoing but censored the public report so heavily thatit was impossible to know what happened.

Without full disclosure, it is virtually impossible to determine whether athletes flout NCAA rules or whether Ohio State officials diligently enforce them.The same is true for all schools.

About 4,000 violations a year are reported to the NCAA, many of them unknown to the public because of FERPA. But one thing is certain: Ohio State has morethan most. Florida, for example, reported 112 violations since 2000, and Oklahoma reported 224.

The NCAA rule book, at 412 pages, is as thick as the Columbus White Pages. Ohio State officials said they expect more violations because they policethemselves well and have the most sports teams in the country at 36. But more than 75 percent of Ohio State's violations -- 292 of them -- were committedby 17 teams, including football and men's basketball. Florida and Oklahoma each sponsor a total of 17 teams.

Doug Archie, Ohio State's associate athletic director for compliance and camps, gave a report this month to a committee of the OSU Board of Trusteesabout the university's NCAA violations.

"We have high ethics here, and we want the coaches to think of self-reporting as good and healthy," Archie told The Dispatchlast week. "We do a good job of educating the coaches and making sure they're aware if violations occur and to then report them. A repetition of thesame violations is a negative as opposed to the same overall number. Are we doing the same thing over and over again?"

Repeat violations haven't been a problem, he said.

"It's not about athletes' behavior; it's about the institution's behavior," said David Ridpath, an assistant professor of sportadministration at Ohio University and a member of the Drake Group. The group of college professors from across the United States advocates for moretransparency in college athletics. Opening files on NCAA violations is an important step toward that goal.

"I don't know how any reasonable person can see those as education records," Ridpath said.
[h2]Top programs benefit all[/h2]
Sports fans or not, central Ohioans have a stake in OSU athletics. A winning tradition brings in money, for both the university and the community.

After the 2002 national championship, football revenue was $87.9 million, up 28 percent from the previous season. Sales of OSU apparel and other merchandisequadrupled to $4.2 million.

In the 2006-07 season, OSU merchandise provided $7.5 million to the athletic budget. The public's buying frenzy followed an undefeated regular season infootball and a trip to the Final Four in basketball.

A winning program also brings in people who fill hotel rooms, shop at local stores and eat at restaurants. A 2005 study showed that those people pump atleast $100.5 million a year into the Columbus-area economy.

So if a team slips and doesn't recover, it can have a significant effect beyond the academic institution.

In a worst-case scenario, Southern Methodist University in Dallas, which had one of the winningest programs in college football in the early 1980s, hasnever fully recovered from a 1987 scandal. Athletes received cash from overly enthusiastic boosters. The NCAA suspended the program for a year. Since then, SMUhas had only two winning football seasons.

On average, OSU spends nearly $111,000 a year on each athlete; that includes tuition, room, board and athletics-related expenses. Football and basketballplayers on scholarships receive a full ride. Athletes in other sports receive partial scholarships.

By comparison, the university spends an average of $14,000 to cover the educational costs of students who aren't athletes. The tuition students paydoesn't cover all the costs of their education.

OSU loses nothing if a music major accepts money from a music booster. But if the quarterback takes money, there could be big financial fallout.

"I believe we should treat student football players the same way we treat a student piccolo player," said OSU President E. Gordon Gee."They're first students; consistency is very important to me."

Given the money at stake, oversight is not only important but necessary, said Ohio Attorney General Richard Cordray.

"State government across the board should be transparent so that the public can oversee what's being done and make judgments about it. FERPA, asI've come to see, is an obstacle to that," Cordray said. "It's a public university, and the sports department is not a private arm of thepublic university. The difficulty is that you have federal law transposed on top of state law, and they are in conflict at times."
[h2]Privacy concerns grow[/h2]
Ohio State hasn't always considered NCAA violations private.

In 1993, then-athletic director Jim Jones issued a news release to report that Ohio State had broken the rules when it recruited high-school basketballplayer Damon Flint. An assistant Ohio State coach had given Flint $60 for a meal and travel expenses.

Back then, that was a major violation that kept the Buckeyes out of the NCAA men's basketball tournament, prevented Flint from playing at Ohio State (hewent to Cincinnati), and landed the program on probation for a year.

Fast forward 10 years, and a shroud of secrecy surrounds Ohio State's records of violations.

In the summer of 2002, Derek Morris arrived in town from North Carolina as one of the country's top football recruits. He left Columbus weeks later withrumors circulating that he didn't have the necessary academic credentials to play football.

Records show that boosters, coaches and members of the Touchdown Club of Columbus gave Morris and his family:

• At least $1,175 in cash.

• Help securing a $3,000 loan.

• More than $500 in airline tickets.

• Housing and expenses.

• Legal advice.

• Outside tutoring from a woman who later filed a criminal complaint against the family for nonpayment.

• A job for the recruit's father.

Ohio State said it erred when it didn't remove Morris' name from the NCAA violation report before giving a copy to The Dispatch.In documents provided to The Dispatch in the same case four years ago, Ohio State edited differently, stripping away all details of thespecial treatment afforded the Morris family. The heavily redacted record also concealed the penalty, if any, OSU faced for the violation.

In May 2003, the shoe company adidas paid for a football player's trip to Los Angeles. The athlete flew on a private plane to the West Coast. Oncethere, he was treated to free meals, lodging, tickets to a Lakers basketball game and adidas apparel. OSU removed the athlete's name and the punishment hereceived, citing the law protecting education records.

Also that May, an undisclosed number of Buckeyes worked at a convention where they were paid $130 each to sign autographs and play golf. The athletestemporarily lost eligibility for taking improper jobs and had to give the money to charity to regain eligibility. OSU's report does not identify theathletes or the booster who hired them because of FERPA.

In October 2005, two football players stole a $60 alarm clock and a $10 hair dryer from the Hilton Minneapolis. The team was in town to play a game againstthe Golden Gophers. Their names were blacked out by OSU because of FERPA.

In February 2006, an undisclosed number of football players attended a charity event and signed autographs without permission. The athletes lost eligibilityfor a time but did not miss a game because it wasn't football season. Their names were removed from the record because of FERPA.
[h2]Investigation follows tip[/h2]
The NCAA enforcement staff arrived on Ohio State's campus on July 30 after receiving an anonymous tip that the courting of a recruit in 2007 went toofar.

Ohio State records say this about the violation involving a student athlete, "SA" for short: "See full report, which includes both a responseto the NCAA Enforcement inquiry as well as a violation report. Report includes analysis of two issues: recruitment of current SA (name blacked out) and therelationship with (name blacked out) and former student athletes working at institutional camps."

It took two more public-records requests to obtain additional information from Ohio State. From those heavily edited records, this much also is known aboutthe athlete: The recruit arrived in town sometime during the 2007 football season with three friends and went to a game.

The football player received a special, discounted hotel rate and free food while visiting Ohio State.

On Aug. 21, OSU declared the athlete ineligible and filed a violation report with the NCAA. He never missed a game, though. He paid back $158 for his extrabenefits, and the NCAA restored his eligibility.

He was a freshman at Ohio State last year.

He was recruited by quarterbacks coach Joe Daniels.

First off, Bud Foster is going to become a Head-Coach in waiting soon.

2nd i know Locker maybe loves college & all but come on dude...Your predicted by some to be the #1 pick?!? Psh...Seen what happened to Bradford? Smh

Originally Posted by IYE2

Eric Wolford and Youngstown St?
USC losing key recruiter

By Phil Kornblut
According to a reliable source, USC offensive line coach Eric Wolford, one of the key recruiters on the staff, is leaving to become the head coach at Youngstown State. According to the source, Wolford's offensive line recruits were contacted Sunday night and told of his departure. One of the players most affected by this will be OL Eric Mack of Calhoun County who had made it clear a major reason he committed to USC was Wolford's presence on the staff.

This *##% threw me off.

Had me going, like who the !$$! is Eric Wolford, he ain't our OLine coach.

South Carolina being called USC
smh.gif

Looks like TCU and Oregon State will kick off their season against each other in Cowboys Stadium

http://espn.go.com/blog/p...-to-inking-game-with-tcu

Oregon State certainly isn't shy about scheduling.

It appears the Beavers are about to sign a game contract to open next season against TCU on Sept. 4 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

So Oregon State will be breaking in a new starting quarterback in front of 80,000 hostile fans in the most sparkling -- distractingly so -- venue in football.

The Beavers will be dropping Eastern Washington to add the Horned Frogs, who are presently unbeaten and headed to a Fiesta Bowl date with Boise State.

Did someone say Boise State?

Oregon State visits Boise State on Sept. 25, the week after playing Louisville. The Broncos are 71-2 playing on the blue turf since the 1999 season.

Trivia question of the blog post: Which other team -- or teams! -- in the nation will play two opponents presently ranked in the top 6 of the BCS standings aspart of their nonconference schedule in 2010?

In a matter that may or may not be unrelated, Oregon State went 11-1 in 2000 and finished ranked fourth in the country when its nonconference schedule includedEastern Washington, New Mexico and San Diego State.

http://nflmocks.com/2009/12/14/trojans-rb-cj-gable-could-run-to-nfl/

It was reported yesterday that USC running back Stafon Johnson may still petition the NCAA for another year of eligibility and return to school, but the situation could be different for another USC tailback.

CJ Gable started all but one game for the University of Southern California last season and he was was tied with a team leading 10 rushing touchdowns. However, the redshirt junior has become frustrated with his lack of carries at USC; he has 12 carries this season.

"It's been frustrating," Gable said. "Anybody would be frustrated. … Why would you play if you don't care whether you get in or not?

Yeah USC did CJ kinda dirty, but then again, it's hard to keep all those tailbacks happy.

I think CJ was forever in PC's doghouse after he fumbled on a particular play early in a game last season.

Makes me wonder though...Joe McKnight has fumbling issues too, but PC never benches him. Maybe he's playing favorites, I don't know.

Originally Posted by Chester the Cheetah

Gotta give props to the Beavs - dudes are playing a hell of a schedule next season.

you gotta love their courage
laugh.gif
i don't even know who their starting QB is gonna be though...? so i could def see them struggling. then BSU fans aregonna say how they own the pac 10
eyes.gif
frown.gif
smh.gif

Todd Chandler to decommits from UM, now to USF.

I remember one of y'all cane dudes saying he wasn't going to be a cane in the end.

Y'all just dropping DT's like it ain't nothing
laugh.gif
smh.gif

And possibly Jose Jose and Jeffery Godfrey to USF too.

Originally Posted by ACE BOMBER

Gotta give props to the Beavs - dudes are playing a hell of a schedule next season.

laugh.gif
i don't even know who their starting QB is gonna be though...? so i could def see them struggling. then BSU fans are gonna say how they own the pac 10
eyes.gif
frown.gif
smh.gif
Well until they join the conference they cant say $+!!
mad.gif
Theycan only say they own the state of Oregon
ohwell.gif
frown.gif
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Brian Cushing

Yeah USC did CJ kinda dirty, but then again, it's hard to keep all those tailbacks happy.

I think CJ was forever in PC's doghouse after he fumbled on a particular play early in a game last season.

Makes me wonder though...Joe McKnight has fumbling issues too, but PC never benches him. Maybe he's playing favorites, I don't know.

its been rumored for a while it wasn't just the fumbling... there's something else going on there that we're not being let in on. An insiderearlier this year said it was because CJ puts in minimal effort on the practice field, but I'm not buying it. Something's up.

And keep "all those tailbacks" happy? It isn't 2006 when they had 10 on the roster. Last year they were a little banged up at the position andstill didn't give CJ any touches claiming he was "hurt"? From what? Stretching before the game?

Originally Posted by 18key

Originally Posted by ACE BOMBER

laugh.gif
i don't even know who their starting QB is gonna be though...? so i could def see them struggling. then BSU fans are gonna say how they own the pac 10
eyes.gif
frown.gif
smh.gif
Well until they join the conference they cant say $+!!
mad.gif
They can only say they own the state of Oregon
ohwell.gif
frown.gif
eyes.gif
Agreed on both points.

I thought Jose Jose was going to UT?

But yeah....USF racked up today. And our idiot AD put them on the schedule every year now. SMFh

Back
Top Bottom