09 Real Deal College Football Discussion/No Homers - Lets geh geh GET IT!

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Originally Posted by dr funk 13

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Originally Posted by Kal Ripped Ken

where all the pac 10 stans at
Could any of these Pac-10 teams compete week in and week out in the Mountain West??
laugh.gif

MWC 3-0 in bowl games so far
pimp.gif
I seriously hope you're joking...
Yes. Settle down, I put the
laugh.gif
I couldn't take the chance. Better safe than sorry
laugh.gif

Hoping Michigan can snag Sean Parker. Tough to go up against U$C and not putting our odds at anything more than 5% but hopefully he sees that our secondary isjunk and he could start next year as a true frosh. We may have 3 True or RS Frosh starting in our secondary next year. Might be another battle for our D tostop anyone.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Damian Williams is going pro
probably for the best.

he could have a monster season next year with Barkley more comfortable under center, then again his stock is decent right now and may not get any higher thanit is now. no reason to risk playing in another down year or even worse, getting hurt.

The 10 best individual seasons of the '00s

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 | Feedback | Print Entry

2010 arrives in a little more than a week. I wanted to look at the best individual seasons by a player in the past decade. Interestingly, Ndamukong Suh this year ends up pretty high on thislist.

1. Vince Young, Texas Longhorns QB, 2005:

There are other guys who packed together more impressive stat-driven careers than Young, who basically played two full seasons for UT and whose firstwasn't all that spectacular (12 TD passes, 11 INTs). However, what Young accomplished in 2005 was epic, and it coincided with Mack Brown's decision tobasically flip Young the keys to his offense and "let VY just be VY." Young simply made play after play, often unconventionally, and was bothbrilliant and beguiling. He amassed 346 yards in a win at No. 4 Ohio State, was 25-of-29 against No. 24 Colorado in a 42-17 win and threw for 239 yards in a52-10 win over No. 10 Texas Tech. At Oklahoma State, he ran for 276 yards. Against archrival Oklahoma, he threw three TDs in a 45-12 Texas romp. But it was theway he finished off the season that elevated Young to all-time great status; everyone knows the game. He stared down a USC team that was riding a 34-gamewinning streak and playing a game in its own backyard. Texas hadn't won a national title in 35 years.

Young produced the greatest clutch performance I've ever seen as he accounted for 467 yards of total offense, rushing for 200 and passing for 267 on a30-of-40 night in an amazing 41-38 comeback win for the Horns, capped by a 9-yard TD run inthe final seconds. It seemed like on that night the more dire the circumstances, the more comfortable and the better he played.

2. Reggie Bush, USC Trojans RB, 2005:

As fantastic as Young was in '05, he still didn't win the Heisman. Bush did, and he won it by a decent-sized margin. He averaged 222 all-purposeyards per game and had almost a 9-yard per rush average while running for 1,740 yards. He also caught 39 passes for 481 yards, and in a game against FresnoState, he set a Pac-10 record for total yards with 513. (He also did this.)

Sparked by Bush's game-breaking skills, the Trojans scored more than 40 points in nine of their 12 regular-season games and scored at least 34points in every game they played that year. He had runs of at least 30 yards in nine of USC's 12 games, and runs of 40-plus yards in seven games. He alsoassisted Matt Leinart on a TD sneak on the game-winning score at Notre Dame in whatis now known as "the Bush Push." It is also must be noted that Bush's season is still in question thanks to an open NCAA investigation, but untilthe NCAA weighs in, his season remains as is.

3. Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska Cornhuskers DT, 2009:

The 295-pound defensive tackle put on the most dominating single performance I've ever seen by any defensive player in a college game against Texas inthe Big 12 title game, making 12 tackles and 4.5 sacks despite being the focus of UT's game plan. Suh was often double-teamed -- and held -- and it stilldidn't stop him. But if you watched more than one Huskers game this season, you know the guy was more than just a one-game wonder. He led NU in tackles andalso broke up 11 passes -- as a defensive tackle! He blocked three kicks. Suh won two defensive player of the year awards (the Nagurski and Bednarik)and also the trophies for Best Lineman (the Lombardi and Outland). He also finished fourth in the Heisman Trophy voting; he got my first-place vote because hetruly was the "most outstanding" player this season. Earlier this week he became the first defensive player voted The Associated Press CollegeFootball Player of the Year.

4. Tim Tebow, Florida Gators QB, 2007:

In his first season as a starter at UF, Tebow threw for almost 3,300 yards, completed 67 percent of his passes and rushed for 23 TDs. Like Suh, Tebow led ateam that wasn't top-10-caliber and lost four times. But you can't blame Tebow for the Gators' D, which gave up at least 30 points five times thatseason.

5. Larry Fitzgerald, Pittsburgh Panthers WR, 2003:

Even though the rangy Panthers receiver came in second to Oklahoma QB Jason Whitefor the Heisman, Fitzgerald certainly deserves his due. He became the first sophomore to win three of the six voting regions in the Heisman selection processas he set seven Big East receiving records in '03: single-season receiving yards (1,595), single-season receptions (87), single-season TD catches (22),career TD catches (34), career 1,000-yard receiving seasons (two), career 100-yard receiving games (14) and single-season 100-yard receiving games (10). Andkeep in mind he was doing it in a system that wasn't a traditional high-powered, throw-it-every-play Texas Tech or Houston kind of offense. The guy had todeal with constant double- and triple-teams and still produced acrobatic catch afteracrobatic catch. It's not like this was a stacked offense with other options. Can you name other Panthers offensive players from that season?

6. Ed Reed, Miami (FL) Hurricanes DB, 2001:

The safety was the best player on the decade's best team. Reed sparked anopportunistic defense that led the nation with 45 takeaways, including 27 INTs. Reed led the nation with nine INTs in 11 games and scored three TDs offinterception returns. He also broke up 18 passes, which led the Big East, and had two fumble recoveries. Reed was also the calming influence on a team that wasworking its way through the coaching transition from Butch Davis to rookie head coach Larry Coker.

7. Matt Leinart, USC Trojans QB, 2004:

Yes, Leinart probably had as much firepower at his disposal as any quarterback had in this decade or possibly ever. But the guy was still nearly flawless inthe way he piloted this attack. He had a 33-6 TD-INT ratio and completed more than 65 percent of his passes in a big-play scheme to win the Heisman. He savedhis best performance for the finale. Against No. 2 Oklahoma, Leinart scorched the Sooners' D for five TD passes and 332 passing yards, winning MVP honors as the Trojans, just a one-point favorite, won by 36, 55-19.

8. Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech Red Raiders WR, 2007:

Crabtree's signature moment actually came in 2008 (against Texas), but he was also hobbled for some of the season and had to deal with more of rivaldefenses' focus. In his debut season, he put up jaw-dropping numbers: 134 catches for 1,962 yards and 22 TDs. Not bad for a guy who really had never playedmuch wide receiver before in actual games prior to that year. And it's not like Crabtree just was piling up stats against weak teams. In the regularseason, Tech faced three top-15 opponents: at Mizzou, at Texas and Oklahoma. In those three games, he managed 31 catches for 425 yards and three TDs. It's also worth noting that this came after Crabtreehad become a "marked man" since he caught 17 TDs in Tech's first six games.

9. Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma Sooners RB, 2004:

Few running backs have ever had college debut seasons that were remotely close to what Peterson did that year. He went over 100 yards rushing in everyregular-season game, except for OU's 30-3 blowout of Nebraska (he had just 15 carries for 58 yards). Against OU's two biggest rivals, Texas andOklahoma State, he ran for 225 (video) and 249, respectively. Those were also the twohighest-ranked opponents the Sooners played in the regular season. The downside: USC's defense contained him (82 yards on 25 carries) as the Trojans routedthe Sooners 55-19 in the Orange Bowl to win the national title.

10. Colt McCoy, Texas Longhorns QB, 2008:

In his third season as a starter, McCoy blossomed for UT with an NCAA-record 77 percent completion rate while also throwing 34 TDs and just eight INTs.Better still? He was also Texas' leading rusher with 561 yards. McCoy went through a stretch in which UT played four-11 opponents -- and if it weren'tfor a stunning Graham Harrell-to-Michael Crabtree big play in the final seconds at Texas Tech, the Horns would've made it through clean and went on to playfor the BCS title. During that stretch, McCoy connected on 79 percent of his passes and averaged 325 yards passing per game. Then against Ohio State in theFiesta Bowl, McCoy went 41-58 for 414 passing yards in a 24-21 win.

^ That list
indifferent.gif
They must have forgotten about Colt Brennan throwing58 touchdowns in one year.

Originally Posted by 18key

^ That list
indifferent.gif
They must have forgotten about Colt Brennan throwing 58 touchdowns in one year.
You can't be serious about putting Colt over any of the people on that list. He did that at Hawaii.

Dude set records. I wouldnt say he deserves it over anyone else because of the defenses he played, but he damn sure deserves a mention. And you're sayingHawaii like they have great receivers.

Originally Posted by IYE2

Any uga fans hear anything about interest in Luke Fickell as d-coor..?

We have ALOT of potential candidates in mind.. Kirby Smart from Bama is the #1 guy, so we will see what happens.. All I know is that whoever it is will bebetter than Willie because we couldn't get worse!

Some chatter that William Gholston is looking at Alabama. Lives with his HS DCoord who is a Sparty lover but hopefully he will go to the Tide because I do notwant to see him for the next few years.

WAC this terrible? Let me go throw all this X-Mas cash on TCU before they move the line...

Originally Posted by Newbs24

Some chatter that William Gholston is looking at Alabama. Lives with his HS DCoord who is a Sparty lover but hopefully he will go to the Tide because I do not want to see him for the next few years.
Could we be that lucky?

Good for Damian. He has been consistent all year for us. Surprised me with his punt returns. I wish him well in the league.

Originally Posted by swizzc

What's the word on SC vs BC? Can the pac-10 finally win a bowl game?
They should be able to. We beat them 48-14 and it would have easily been in the 60's if Frank didn't call the dogs off. I know USC's Owas down this year but they should be able to handle BC.

Back
Top Bottom