1,700 Workers Laid Off via Conference Call

Originally Posted by stateofsingularity

Question for the critics: what would you have the company do?

Do things the RIGHT way. I was laid off in May...and it wasn't anything as inhumane as this...and that was from AT&T, a company with 70,000 employees.

It's bad enough you laid them off, but to take away their dignity as well? It's a slap in the face. Companies are so concerned w/their bottom line, they dont care HOW they treat people....but, will spend millions to try & clear their tarnished reputations in PR smears such as this.

my company (biotech) did something similar. those who were sent an e-mail stating to come into a conference room at a certain time kept their jobs, the others who were told to come in at another time were laid off.

these employees are just pawns for the chess players (execs) and can be sacrificed if it means greater profits in the long run.  brutal but that's how it goes. 

my company (biotech) did something similar. those who were sent an e-mail stating to come into a conference room at a certain time kept their jobs, the others who were told to come in at another time were laid off.

these employees are just pawns for the chess players (execs) and can be sacrificed if it means greater profits in the long run.  brutal but that's how it goes. 

Originally Posted by Nako XL

up-in-the-air-movie-review1.jpg

came in here to post this

Well god Damn that's some cold @@++

Bet I know 1700 houses Santa won't be hitting this year

Well god Damn that's some cold @@++

Bet I know 1700 houses Santa won't be hitting this year

Originally Posted by Cameron Nelson

Do things the RIGHT way. I was laid off in May...and it wasn't anything as inhumane as this...and that was from AT&T, a company with 70,000 employees.

It's bad enough you laid them off, but to take away their dignity as well? It's a slap in the face. Companies are so concerned w/their bottom line, they dont care HOW they treat people....but, will spend millions to try & clear their tarnished reputations in PR smears such as this.
damn

i remember you made a thread waaaaaaaaay back posting a weeks check you had that was like 2k from madd OT pay or something.

damn

i remember you made a thread waaaaaaaaay back posting a weeks check you had that was like 2k from madd OT pay or something.

Originally Posted by Al Audi

damn

laugh.gif
Yeah...that was one of my first OT checks. Hell, I had one that was for $3300 for 2 weeks...there was one period back in '05 where I didnt see a check under $2500 every 2 weeks for 6 months.

.....and now, I make 1/2 of what I made before.

BUT, I'm employed, so I'm thankful. A lot of folks can't say that. I'm not making anywhere near what I used to, but I'd rather get something than nothin. Bein laid off was esp.hard for me cause I wanted to try & set a good example for my son....he knew what happened, and I HAD to get a job...didnt want him thinkin I was a bum or somethin.

Originally Posted by Al Audi

damn

laugh.gif
Yeah...that was one of my first OT checks. Hell, I had one that was for $3300 for 2 weeks...there was one period back in '05 where I didnt see a check under $2500 every 2 weeks for 6 months.

.....and now, I make 1/2 of what I made before.

BUT, I'm employed, so I'm thankful. A lot of folks can't say that. I'm not making anywhere near what I used to, but I'd rather get something than nothin. Bein laid off was esp.hard for me cause I wanted to try & set a good example for my son....he knew what happened, and I HAD to get a job...didnt want him thinkin I was a bum or somethin.

crazy world out there. You could be the most dedicated worker for 75% of your life, being at the same place for 45 years. but when it comes down to it, you could be laid off like the rest of them. As a worker, don't be too dedicated to a company, they can and will ditch you or people like you without a care in the world

crazy world out there. You could be the most dedicated worker for 75% of your life, being at the same place for 45 years. but when it comes down to it, you could be laid off like the rest of them. As a worker, don't be too dedicated to a company, they can and will ditch you or people like you without a care in the world

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

yep

i was talking to some co workers after they let them folks go

we all just numbers to corporate at the end of the day.

yep

i was talking to some co workers after they let them folks go

we all just numbers to corporate at the end of the day.

Basically, remember that you're always a free agent. This ain't the old days where you worked the same place for 40 years and retired with a crazy pension. You're just a number to them, so they just gotta be a paycheck to you.

Basically, remember that you're always a free agent. This ain't the old days where you worked the same place for 40 years and retired with a crazy pension. You're just a number to them, so they just gotta be a paycheck to you.

This is exactly why I am trying to launch my own company. These corporations have no loyalty at all. I hate being called into meetings because you never know if you will show up only to see an HR rep and your sup.

A former friend of mine worked for them, I almost wanna call to see if he was on that second call.

This is exactly why I am trying to launch my own company. These corporations have no loyalty at all. I hate being called into meetings because you never know if you will show up only to see an HR rep and your sup.

A former friend of mine worked for them, I almost wanna call to see if he was on that second call.

Back
Top Bottom