10-15 years from now....Drake, top 10 DOA?

Originally Posted by Deuce King

MC Hammer..Vanilla Ice..Shaquille Oneal...A few different artists on No Limit..Master P for that matter..Marky Mark..Will Smith..
There weren't that many artists out during the early 90s, hip hop music wasn't mainstream, but I can still name 100 more.

Your originally said 10-15 years ago, and then you list rappers which are in bold that weren't even in the game during that timeframe, nice try though champ.

Still haven't had a single person give me a list of current rappers who are better than Drake
illphillip gave you a list of rappers, and then your proceeded to move the goal posts back even further by saying that half the rappers he listed were past their prime.  Doesn't matter if those rappers are past their prime or not, they are still better than Drake currently.  You asked for a list of current rappers, and that's exactly what he gave you. 
I was responding to son that said "early 90s," so yeah..nice try "champ."

btw..you sound like a bitter +@* old dude hating on new talent.  Get over it, hater.

Originally Posted by red mpls

Originally Posted by IamMD

Originally Posted by illphillip

Nice sig.

So you're trying to put us on one extreme side of the fence......when you clearly live on the other.

Yea, you're capable of rational, unbiased discussion on this matter.......

Better rappers? Em, Lupe, Jay, Nas, Royce.

Me sitting here and coming up with a list of CURRENT rappers that are better than Drake doesn't change how ridiculous the idea of him being Top 10 DOA is.

I really don't get how its ridiculous...he has more talent than Royce..thats for damn sure..i won't even argue with the rest because I don't want to start anything.

The fact that your brain even considered the possibility of "arguing" that Drake is better or more talented than Em, Jay, and Nas shows everyone exactly what we're dealing with
roll.gif
.  This makes it painfully obvious that there's really no sense in engaging in further "dialogue" with you guys but I hope you all understand the following:

You Drake fans have to learn to differentiate between your "favorites" and "greatness" because that's clearly the heart of the issue here.  For example, I'm a huge fan of Cormega and he's one of my FAVORITE MCs.  I thoroughly enjoy most of his music and I think he puts out great albums (well, this is somewhat general sentiment in the "hip hop community").  Does that mean I think he's one of the 10 GREATEST MCs that ever lived?  No.  Is he one of my 10 favorite MCs?  Without question.

DO YOU GUYS UNDERSTAND HOW THAT WORKS?
You're way past late because nobody is talking top 10 ever anymore. We're talking current top 10. You don't think Drake is a good enough rapper to seal himself in a current top 10 list?

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Originally Posted by CripwalkinK

Originally Posted by illphillip

Listen to you. You sound foolish. No one even mentioned Gucci, Weezy or Jeezy. So who are you arguing with?

Apparently you agree on Lupe and Royce. Jay, Nas and Em, even "past their prime" (you sure about Em being past his prime?) are better current rapper than Drake. That's what you asked for right? So why leave them out? Because it suits your argument?

Get your mind right. I could never make myself look stupid.

Check it. I'm a Drake fan. You're sitting here with his team as your sig on a message board. You down with the team? Because if not, you are WAY more than a fan homie.

And that will make it real hard to take your opinion on the matter seriously.
recovery200.jpg

2703216.jpg

^Yes, I'm sure he's past his prime.

I'm only leaving them out of the equation because they don't fit in the mold of today's rap game. They're better associated with early 00's rap. But even at that, I'll only add in Nas. Blueprint 3, Recovery, Relapse, all garbage when talking rapping and lyricism. I'll say it again, Drake is a top 10 rapper in the game today. You're judging my opinion more off my signature than my actual argument. You tell me I have no argument but you're only out here telling me I'm a Drake stan so whatever I'm stating is invalid.

Also, have you actually listened to Drake aside from Thank Me Later and So Far Gone? Just wondering.

WHAT!!!

Relapse word play wise is incredible (stupid accent aside).  And Recovery is the highest selling hip hop album of this year??? His rapping on that album is great and he made a ton of great SONGS on that album.  At this point its just your personal opinion.  Because the millions who bought Recovery don't agree with you.

But yeah drake is top 10 out now.  But he is behind Em Jay Nas Lupe Royce Wayne Black Thought...but yeah he gets in the top 10 sure
Don't bring record sales to an argument about lyricism and rapping because it doesn't support your argument, it rather hurts it. I personally thought Relapse was awful, we know what Eminem is capable of, to listen to that was dreadful. Recovery was hardly any better, maybe a few select tracks but that's it.

Originally Posted by boricuachulo321

I really don't get how its ridiculous...he has more talent than Royce..thats for damn sure..i won't even argue with the rest because I don't want to start anything.

The fact that your brain even considered the possibility of "arguing" that Drake is better or more talented than Em, Jay, and Nas shows everyone exactly what we're dealing with
roll.gif
.  This makes it painfully obvious that there's really no sense in engaging in further "dialogue" with you guys but I hope you all understand the following:

You Drake fans have to learn to differentiate between your "favorites" and "greatness" because that's clearly the heart of the issue here.  For example, I'm a huge fan of Cormega and he's one of my FAVORITE MCs.  I thoroughly enjoy most of his music and I think he puts out great albums (well, this is somewhat general sentiment in the "hip hop community").  Does that mean I think he's one of the 10 GREATEST MCs that ever lived?  No.  Is he one of my 10 favorite MCs?  Without question.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain
[font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]
[/font]

wrong.  I have favorites that I don't think are in the top 10 of all time...ppl like Cam'ron, Hell Rell, the whole Set, in fact..Fabolous. I don't think they are top 10 worthy or ever will be..however I think that Drake is. This is all based on opinion so at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter..but for you people to deny his talent, just boggles my mind.  To say he is not lyrical and has no flow or isn't versatile is just not true.  

Still haven't had a single person give me a list of current rappers who are better than Drake
illphillip gave you a list of rappers, and then your proceeded to move the goal posts back even further by saying that half the rappers he listed were past their prime.  Doesn't matter if those rappers are past their prime or not, they are still better than Drake currently.  You asked for a list of current rappers, and that's exactly what he gave you. 
Is that it? The argument is current top 10. Y'all thinking I'm calling him the GOAT because of my signature?
laugh.gif
Come on son.

Again, you said current rappers and he gave you a list.  It has nothing to do with GOAT or not, the fact is all those rappers listed are better than Drake, and it's not even close.

I was responding to son that said "early 90s," so yeah..nice try "champ."

Okay, then let's see the list of rappers from 10-15 years ago that Drake is better than that you alluded to earlier that were considered to be the best rappers back then.

btw..you sound like a bitter +@* old dude hating on new talent.  Get over it, hater

.........and you sound and play the part of a simp and simp lover which would explain your fasination and defense of Drake, quite sad champ.  You dudes have to learn that just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they're a hater.  You dudes use that word too much and in the wrong context.  It makes you dudes look real weak and foolish, which would explain how and why you dude like Drake so much to begin with.

Is that it? The argument is current top 10. Y'all thinking I'm calling him the GOAT because of my signature?
laugh.gif
Come on son.

Again, you said current rappers and he gave you a list.  It has nothing to do with GOAT or not, the fact is all those rappers listed are better than Drake, and it's not even close.

I didn't know a list of 5 rappers excluded him from a top 10. Thanks for the math lesson.

.........and you sound and play the part of a simp and simp lover which would explain your fasination and defense of Drake, quite sad champ.  You dudes have to learn that just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they're a hater.  You dudes use that word too much and in the wrong context.  It makes you dudes look real weak and foolish, which would explain how and why you dude like Drake so much to begin with.

Never been a simp cuh
indifferent.gif
You the one that comes in this joint basically talking down to everybody like our beliefs are so outlandish.  If we like Drake, we like Drake..you don't have to agree with it thats cool..but as far 10 years ago..he's better than Chingy, Fabolous , Cam'ron, Mase, Nelly all the other rappers in d12, Lil Bow Wow, Lil Romeo, Noreaga lol

rah digga...memphis bleek?

Never been a simp cuh
indifferent.gif
You the one that comes in this joint basically talking down to everybody like our beliefs are so outlandish.  If we like Drake, we like Drake..you don't have to agree with it thats cool..but as far 10 years ago..he's better than Chingy, Fabolous , Cam'ron, Mase, Nelly all the other rappers in d12, Lil Bow Wow, Lil Romeo, Noreaga lol

Drake is better than Fab, Cam, and Mase????!?!??!?!? Children of the corn >>>>> Drake

Never been a simp cuh
indifferent.gif

Drake is better than Fab, Cam, and Mase????!?!??!?!? Children of the corn >>>>> Drake

Fab and Cam are two of my favorite rappers..but does Drake not compose better music than the two? Srs question.

Never been a simp cuh
indifferent.gif
You the one that comes in this joint basically talking down to everybody like our beliefs are so outlandish.  If we like Drake, we like Drake..you don't have to agree with it thats cool..but as far 10 years ago..he's better than Chingy, , Nelly all the other rappers in d12, Lil Bow Wow, Lil Romeo, Noreaga lol

I and others talk they way we talk because believe it or not, WE are exactly trying to help you dudes yout, tough love is the best love.  As the saying goes champ, each one teach one.  That might be too much for you and others to comprehend right now but it saddens me to see you dudes make bold statements such as you and others have done and not even be knowledgeable on the subject you are speaking on.  The overall "rejection mentality" that you dudes have is going to hurt you more than you realize, not even just with this thread but perhaps bigger and better things.  It's cool if you dudes like Drake and if he's your favorite rapper, but just like the example red mpls made earlier regarding Cormega being one of his favorite MC's and then he went on to say that he wouldn't list Cormega as one of the 10 greatest MC's.  Do you and others see the difference between the two and why??   

Also, as far the rappers you just listed above, were you responding to this question that I just asked which is below as well....................??

Okay, then let's see the list of rappers from 10-15 years ago that Drake is better than that you alluded to earlier that were considered to be the best rappers back then.

Never been a simp cuh
indifferent.gif
You the one that comes in this joint basically talking down to everybody like our beliefs are so outlandish.  If we like Drake, we like Drake..you don't have to agree with it thats cool..but as far 10 years ago..he's better than Chingy, , Nelly all the other rappers in d12, Lil Bow Wow, Lil Romeo, Noreaga lol

I and others talk they way we talk because believe it or not, WE are exactly trying to help you dudes yout, tough love is the best love.  As the saying goes champ, each one teach one.  That might be too much for you and others to comprehend right now but it saddens me to see you dudes make bold statements such as you and others have done and not even be knowledgeable on the subject you are speaking on. 
This guy thinks he's superior, DKM.
roll.gif
Stop being ignorant for a second. I'm not saying Drake is the GOAT, I'm not saying he's top 10 DOA, I'm saying dude is a top 10 rapper in today's rap game. Everyone has an opinion, if you can give me your reasoning as to why he's not in the top 10, then that's cool, we can agree to disagree and that's that, but don't act like you know all things hip-hop, bout "each one teach one," f**k outta here with that ahaha.

recovery200.jpg

2703216.jpg

^Yes, I'm sure he's past his prime.

I'm only leaving them out of the equation because they don't fit in the mold of today's rap game. They're better associated with early 00's rap. But even at that, I'll only add in Nas. Blueprint 3, Recovery, Relapse, all garbage when talking rapping and lyricism. I'll say it again, Drake is a top 10 rapper in the game today. You're judging my opinion more off my signature than my actual argument. You tell me I have no argument but you're only out here telling me I'm a Drake stan so whatever I'm stating is invalid.

Also, have you actually listened to Drake aside from Thank Me Later and So Far Gone? Just wondering.

WHAT!!!

Relapse word play wise is incredible (stupid accent aside).  And Recovery is the highest selling hip hop album of this year??? His rapping on that album is great and he made a ton of great SONGS on that album.  At this point its just your personal opinion.  Because the millions who bought Recovery don't agree with you.

But yeah drake is top 10 out now.  But he is behind Em Jay Nas Lupe Royce Wayne Black Thought...but yeah he gets in the top 10 sure
Don't bring record sales to an argument about lyricism and rapping because it doesn't support your argument, it rather hurts it. I personally thought Relapse was awful, we know what Eminem is capable of, to listen to that was dreadful. Recovery was hardly any better, maybe a few select tracks but that's it.
Exactly.  But we are asking a general question of is drake top 10 DOA....and apparently we are asking top 10 now too lol

Personal opinion ASIDE.  You are polling the consensus.  The consensus says that Recovery is an incredible album (yes album sales do matter).

I agree with MPLS.  My favorite rappers (aesop rock, jedi mind, ill bill, el-p, skyzoo, torae, royce, atmosphere, POS, cudi, lupe, Fashawn, Kendrick, Mellowhype) would rank about drake in the top 10 out NOW question.  But i see that he is extremely popular now and does make good music.  So i can say yes he would be top 10 now.  This is what i feel people would agree with.  Even though I do not  personally.

IamMD wrote:
Never been a simp cuh
indifferent.gif

I and others talk they way we talk because believe it or not, WE are exactly trying to help you dudes yout, tough love is the best love.  As the saying goes champ, each one teach one.  That might be too much for you and others to comprehend right now but it saddens me to see you dudes make bold statements such as you and others have done and not even be knowledgeable on the subject you are speaking on. 
roll.gif
Stop being ignorant for a second. I'm not saying Drake is the GOAT, I'm not saying he's top 10 DOA, I'm saying dude is a top 10 rapper in today's rap game. Everyone has an opinion, if you can give me your reasoning as to why he's not in the top 10, then that's cool, we can agree to disagree and that's that, but don't act like you know all things hip-hop, bout "each one teach one," f**k outta here with that ahaha.

I tried making that point a few pages back
laugh.gif

Some people wanna claim Drake has no talent or lyrical ability whatsoever, yet choose to put rappers who's best work came out in late 90's early 2000's 
indifferent.gif
 Look let's see what Drake does within his career, his album drops in 2 months and judging off that we should see if he has what it takes to be a top 10. Until then dude's just can't blatantly say he doesn't have what it takes, TML was a good start for him but let's see what he does from here...

I'm not saying Drake is the GOAT, I'm not saying he's top 10 DOA, I'm saying dude is a top 10 rapper in today's rap game. Everyone has an opinion, if you can give me your reasoning as to why he's not in the top 10, then that's cool, we can agree to disagree and that's that

My question wasn't directed to YOU, but since you feel the need to jump in the mix if you and others feel like Drake is one of the Top 10 rappers in the today's rap game then that's fine with me.  I got no issues with that.  However, for those that feel like Drake is Top 10 DOA or could be later in the future then those are the folks that need help and need help the most.  As far as my response to your earlier, I was just stated that the rappers that you feel are past their prime are still better than Drake currently.  I didn't say if the person prior to me gave a list of 10 rappers or not.

Stop being ignorant for a second
Pot meet kettle.

Originally Posted by hitopsandflannel

roll.gif

I tried making that point a few pages back
laugh.gif

Some people wanna claim Drake has no talent or lyrical ability whatsoever, yet choose to put rappers who's best work came out in late 90's early 2000's 
indifferent.gif
 Look let's see what Drake does within his career, his album drops in 2 months and judging off that we should see if he has what it takes to be a top 10. Until then dude's just can't blatantly say he doesn't have what it takes, TML was a good start for him but let's see what he does from here...

Agreed. /thread

roll.gif

You're way past late because nobody is talking top 10 ever anymore. We're talking current top 10. You don't think Drake is a good enough rapper to seal himself in a current top 10 list?

That's what YOU may be talking about but that's not what this thread is about nor is it what IamMD has been talking about.  I'm late?  You're the one who just came into this thread
laugh.gif

As far as top 10 current rappers, Drake would not make my list but I could understand him making a lot of people's lists depending on their criteria.  But making a current top 10 list is not too much of an accomplishment in my opinion given the current state of hip hop and I certainly wouldn't care to argue with dudes about whether or not Drake deserves to be included in such a largely meaningless "list."

roll.gif

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain
[font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]
[/font]

wrong.  I have favorites that I don't think are in the top 10 of all time...ppl like Cam'ron, Hell Rell, the whole Set, in fact..Fabolous. I don't think they are top 10 worthy or ever will be..however I think that Drake is. This is all based on opinion so at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter..but for you people to deny his talent, just boggles my mind.  To say he is not lyrical and has no flow or isn't versatile is just not true.  

It seems as though you do have some concept of the separation between favorites and greatness but I don't understand your lack of application of this concept with regards to Drake.

I wouldn't say he has "no talent," or that he's "not lyrical" or "isn't versatile" but that's a VERY small part of a list of attributes that basically prevents an MC from being automatically dismissed outright and labeled "wack," "weak," or a "sucker MC" (if you want to go old school), NOT the basis for arguing that the guy could potentially be one of the greatest MCs that ever lived.

How is that not clear?

WHAT!!!

Exactly.  But we are asking a general question of is drake top 10 DOA....and apparently we are asking top 10 now too lol

Personal opinion ASIDE.  You are polling the consensus.  The consensus says that Recovery is an incredible album (yes album sales do matter).

I agree with MPLS.  My favorite rappers (aesop rock, jedi mind, ill bill, el-p, skyzoo, torae, royce, atmosphere, POS, cudi, lupe, Fashawn, Kendrick, Mellowhype) would rank about drake in the top 10 out NOW question.  But i see that he is extremely popular now and does make good music.  So i can say yes he would be top 10 now.  This is what i feel people would agree with.  Even though I do not  personally.
At the end of the day, everything is based off preference. I see that you prefer listening to more underground music because that seems to be your cup of tea. So even though we disagree, you're giving me a good enough reason. That's the problem with what's going on in this thread, people are only saying "Drake isn't good, he's wack, dadadada" without any real reason and instead acting like they know everything about hip-hop.

At the end of the day, everything is based off preference. I see that you prefer listening to more underground music because that seems to be your cup of tea. So even though we disagree, you're giving me a good enough reason. That's the problem with what's going on in this thread, people are only saying "Drake isn't good, he's wack, dadadada" without any real reason and instead acting like they know everything about hip-hop.

Yea i see your problem, As far as mainstream rapper is concerned i actually really like drake lol.  Dude makes good songs.  The first one that did it for me was Successful.  Top 10 NOW yes of course, top 10 ever no....but the verdict has to still be out since he is only 1 legit album into his career you never know.

I am bowing out of this thread lol. 

Also.. What Drake is spitting now>>>what Hov was spitting on WTT....
Drake is spittting simp music though, and even with that none of what Drake is spitting is better than Jay on WTT. 

Can this thread end already with statements like this falling out of people's mouths. It's just getting sad now. Yes WTT is a love it or hate it album and had all these expectations around it. Take that out of it and Hov's lyrics demolish anything Drake has ever said. Drake's two topics in rap life are women and fame and Jay did a far better job on both of those topics on WTT than Drake ever has.

Then to the guy who said he's a better rapper than Cee-Lo and has never listened to the Goodie Mob albums, go listen to Soul Food and then you'll be embarrassed that that statement ever entered your consciousness. Goodie Mob Cee-Lo is a level of rapping Drake has never seen in his life. And as far as singing goes Cee-Lo might not be the greatest singer ever but he damn sure has a good voice that doesn't need studio enchancements and he can write a hit just as big as Drake so never let that singing statement come out again either.

Yes right now Drake is a good mainstream artist. But he's very one dimensional and too many adjectives are being thrown into the discussion about how great he is. He's a quality artist, no doubt but this thread has really jumped the shark.

Drake is spittting simp music though, and even with that none of what Drake is spitting is better than Jay on WTT. 

lol..you keep saying this "simp music.." What..besides Marvin's room can be considered simp music? And why does everything have to be so "hard?" or "macho?" NH

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Y'all need to live your lives. 

Why does everyone have to criticize Drake or hate on him?  Dude makes AMAZING music period. 

Lol, I'm done with this thread.

Never been a simp cuh
indifferent.gif

Fab and Cam are two of my favorite rappers..but does Drake not compose better music than the two? Srs question.

When we generally talk about top 10 on this board. We usually talk about lyrical capability. Does he rap better than either of them? IMO no.

Back
Top Bottom