10-15 years from now....Drake, top 10 DOA?

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

Its like when Lebron first entered into NBA, I knew he had the potential to be one of the greats...So did other people....Now that he's statistically proven himself people are saying "Well he has no rings, the greats have Rings"....Ok, he gets 3-4 Rings...Then what?...Can he be one of the greats then?

Now take Drake, The man is obviously musically inclined ...You're in denial if you think other wise. "Oh....Well, Drake doesnt have any Classics under his belt....He cant be considered one of the greats"...Ok, He's only ONE LP into his career....Let the man put in work... He has the proven potential to drop classics.

I honestly think if Drakes next 2-3 LP's were Flawlessly put together, some of ya'll STILL wouldn't give the man any credit....

If Drake doesnt have the potential to be top10 in 10-15 years....Can you name another new artist who does have that type of potential?
Lupe. Son's wordplay is insane. Now what?

And what does "another new artist" and their potential have to do with Drake and his potential?

You need to stop with this not giving Drake credit *%+%*@*@. You're coming in here with an outlandish argument. Stop making it seem like we're hating just because 90% of us think you're out of your mind. Just stick to your script and stop trying to project on to us. I'll be the first to give that man and his 2-3 FLAWLESS albums all the credit in the world.

In my opinion Lebron won't go down as one of the all time greats even after 3-4 rings, because Wade will take him there. And as of now, he can't hold up under pressure.

Potential ain't !@$%. Results mean everything. IF and WHEN Drake makes a classic album.....well that's when you should have made a thread like this.

We done now? Because I'm mad that I'm on the road in a hotel room in a city bracing for a hurricane, or I wouldn't be about this madness.

Originally Posted by illphillip

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

Its like when Lebron first entered into NBA, I knew he had the potential to be one of the greats...So did other people....Now that he's statistically proven himself people are saying "Well he has no rings, the greats have Rings"....Ok, he gets 3-4 Rings...Then what?...Can he be one of the greats then?

Now take Drake, The man is obviously musically inclined ...You're in denial if you think other wise. "Oh....Well, Drake doesnt have any Classics under his belt....He cant be considered one of the greats"...Ok, He's only ONE LP into his career....Let the man put in work... He has the proven potential to drop classics.

I honestly think if Drakes next 2-3 LP's were Flawlessly put together, some of ya'll STILL wouldn't give the man any credit....

If Drake doesnt have the potential to be top10 in 10-15 years....Can you name another new artist who does have that type of potential?
Lupe. Son's wordplay is insane. Now what?

And what does "another new artist" and their potential have to do with Drake and his potential?

You need to stop with this not giving Drake credit *%+%*@*@. You're coming in here with an outlandish argument. Stop making it seem like we're hating just because 90% of us think you're out of your mind. Just stick to your script and stop trying to project on to us. I'll be the first to give that man and his 2-3 FLAWLESS albums all the credit in the world.

In my opinion Lebron won't go down as one of the all time greats even after 3-4 rings, because Wade will take him there. And as of now, he can't hold up under pressure.

Potential ain't !@$%. Results mean everything. IF and WHEN Drake makes a classic album.....well that's when you should have made a thread like this.

We done now? Because I'm mad that I'm on the road in a hotel room in a city bracing for a hurricane, or I wouldn't be about this madness.

Potential is EVERYTHING fam... Thats all we have when it comes to Drake, He's still Fresh... Thats what this thread is about.."Potential"...I said 10-15 years from now.

And I agree with Lupe, I love Lupe...

And Lebron not consisdered one of the greats?....You're nuts...Malone, Stockton, Barkley, Iverson, Gervin, Nash, Miller....I can go on-and-on....NO RINGS.... still great....

But ill save that for the S&T forum
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by devildog1776

drake is a cool artist...

but to rate him as top 10 rapper is ******ed....

he makes cool songs but I cant put him past 20 rappers off the top with creativity, variety of flows, wordplay and charisma.... his presence on certain track sound so annoying to me.. his voice sometimes get so whiny it sounds like he's damn near bout to cry rapping...

im not knocking drake but i aint slobbing him either...
How other people don't see that baffles me. That's the main problem I have with Drake (and Big Sean, Meek Mill, B.o.B, and J.Cole sometimes). They all have this screaming/yelling/forced/whiny delivery,
that long term just makes for some terrible songs. One 16 on a song or a hook is cool, but good lord, it's agony after that.

A lot of heads in here not taking what Drake has done pre-mainstream. To say he's a terrible lyricist is ignorant.

I'll tell you right now that dude is top 10 in the CURRENT rap game. I don't know if you're talking top 10 of all-time, that's a HUGE stretch (pause). But currently, I don't know how you can tell me he's not in the top 10. I challenge anybody to name 10 better rappers in the game right now who aren't past their prime (meaning no Jay or Nas or Em (plus Eminem sucks now)).

If I were to play devil's advocate, I'd put (in no order) Kanye, Jada, Lupe, Cole ahead of Drake right now lyrically. Let's not forget that this dude has only put out TWO mixtapes and ONE album that people have heard of. At the end of the day, it's all preference really but if you're trying to deny Drake's talent as a rapper, fall off the nearest cliff sir.

Edit: Big Sean is arguable as well.

laugh.gif
saying no one is putting out his type of music.  Yeah you're correct.  Nobody is making that cornball $!#* that sounds the same EACH time.  Drake is overrated as HELL.

Originally Posted by CripwalkinK

A lot of heads in here not taking what Drake has done pre-mainstream. To say he's a terrible lyricist is ignorant.

I'll tell you right now that dude is top 10 in the CURRENT rap game. I don't know if you're talking top 10 of all-time, that's a HUGE stretch (pause). But currently, I don't know how you can tell me he's not in the top 10. I challenge anybody to name 10 better rappers in the game right now who aren't past their prime (meaning no Jay or Nas or Em (plus Eminem sucks now)).

He's definitely top ten in the current rap game, but with the later part of your statement, isn't it sad and tells the state of rap music that you CAN'T name 10 better (credible) rappers in the game right now?

In terms of who has buzz or is on the radio (excluding Jay, Nas, and Em like you said), in no order...

Drake
Wayne
Nicki
Rick Ross
Wiz Khalifa
Lupe Fiasco
Big Sean
Young Jeezy
Fabolous
Gucci Mane/Waka Flocka

I was gonna put Common on that list, but I couldn't truly make a case for it. But looking at that list, isn't that mostly a sad embarrassing group. I mean, no wonder Drake is
in contention, look at his competition. I would have mentioned Jada and J.Cole too, but you could say Jada is past his prime, and I'm really not sure exactly the type of buzz
Cole has, regardless of his lyrics.  

Originally Posted by Peep Game

He's definitely top ten in the current rap game, but with the later part of your statement, isn't it sad and tells the state of rap music that you CAN'T name 10 better (credible) rappers in the game right now?

In terms of who has buzz or is on the radio (excluding Jay, Nas, and Em like you said), in no order...

Drake
Wayne
Nicki
Rick Ross
Wiz Khalifa
Lupe Fiasco
Big Sean
Young Jeezy
Fabolous
Gucci Mane/Waka Flocka

I was gonna put Common on that list, but I couldn't truly make a case for it. But looking at that list, isn't that mostly a sad embarrassing group. I mean, no wonder Drake is
in contention, look at his competition. I would have mentioned Jada and J.Cole too, but you could say Jada is past his prime, and I'm really not sure exactly the type of buzz
Cole has, regardless of his lyrics.  
Damn,never knew 'Ye was so wack that even Waka would be put infront of him
30t6p3b.gif

Drake
Wayne
Nicki
Rick Ross
Wiz Khalifa
Lupe Fiasco
Big Sean
Young Jeezy
Fabolous
Gucci Mane/Waka Flocka

in contention, look at his competition.
It is really sad actually but I hold guys like Drake, Cole, Lupe and Kanye in high regard right now for the rap game. I think those group of guys are carrying the torch and are doing as good a job as you can. I like Big Sean too. I like listening to Wiz but dude is a terrible lyricist. Like awful. Same with Ross (dope live performer though). Jeezy isn't that great either IMO but he has a few standout tracks. Fab fell off a bit. Gucci, Nicki, Waka and Weezy are all +%%$.

Originally Posted by red mpls

roll.gif

I mean, do you guys understand all of the MCs Drake would have to "surpass" that don't even generally get mentioned on people's Top 10 lists?  Artists like Redman, Common, Black Thought, LL Cool J, Q-Tip, Ghostface, Andre 3000, DMX, Snoop, Big L, Jadakiss, Eightball, Fabolous, Big Pun, Missy Elliott, Ludacris, Cam'Ron, Bun B, Guru, Raekwon, AZ, Kurupt, Cee-Lo, Beanie Sigel, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, DJ Quik, GZA, Juvenile, Lil' Fame, Busta Rhymes, Prodigy, etc.

Not to mention he'll have to beat out his contemporaries, including Kanye West, Lil' Wayne, Rick Ross, The Game, TI, Pusha-T, and Jeezy, all of whom I would take over Drake right now and three of whom will almost certainly end up "ranked" higher than Drake when all is said and done.

Finally, he would have to knock someone who's a "regular" in Top 10 lists out of their position.  MCs like BIG, Tupac, Nas, Jay, Rakim, KRS-One, Kane, G Rap, Slick Rick, Eminem, Ice Cube, Chuck D, Scarface, etc.

IT'S NOT HAPPENING.  PERIOD.

People are certainly entitled to their opinions and all but Drake will NEVER be generally considered a Top 10 DOA rapper.  Ever.

HOLD ON! I usually read through threads before I reply, but this dude is seriously high as %$#@ right now.  You really think Missy, Cam'Ron, Cee-Lo, Beanie Sigel, Rick Ross, The Game, and Jeezy are better than Drake?  How did you manage to mention Missy Elliot and not Lauryn Hill?
sick.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Now I'm not gonna say that Drake will be top 10 DOA in 10-15 years, but there's some dudes that don't wanna give him credit for being better than 90 95% of the rappers out today.  Kanye's rapping fell off after College Dropout, and this is coming from someone who owns all of his albums except 808s.  WTT wasn't even near what it was expected to be, I'd much rather listen to MBDTF.

Originally Posted by Rolaholic

Damn,never knew 'Ye was so wack that even Waka would be put infront of him
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I think you I wrote that, I either did mean to include Kanye, or meant to put him with Jay, Em, and Nas.

Originally Posted by Degenerate423

roll.gif

I mean, do you guys understand all of the MCs Drake would have to "surpass" that don't even generally get mentioned on people's Top 10 lists?  Artists like Redman, Common, Black Thought, LL Cool J, Q-Tip, Ghostface, Andre 3000, DMX, Snoop, Big L, Jadakiss, Eightball, Fabolous, Big Pun, Missy Elliott, Ludacris, Cam'Ron, Bun B, Guru, Raekwon, AZ, Kurupt, Cee-Lo, Beanie Sigel, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, DJ Quik, GZA, Juvenile, Lil' Fame, Busta Rhymes, Prodigy, etc.

Not to mention he'll have to beat out his contemporaries, including Kanye West, Lil' Wayne, Rick Ross, The Game, TI, Pusha-T, and Jeezy, all of whom I would take over Drake right now and three of whom will almost certainly end up "ranked" higher than Drake when all is said and done.

Finally, he would have to knock someone who's a "regular" in Top 10 lists out of their position.  MCs like BIG, Tupac, Nas, Jay, Rakim, KRS-One, Kane, G Rap, Slick Rick, Eminem, Ice Cube, Chuck D, Scarface, etc.

People are certainly entitled to their opinions and all but Drake will NEVER be generally considered a Top 10 DOA rapper.  Ever.

HOLD ON! I usually read through threads before I reply, but this dude is seriously high as %$#@ right now.  You really think Missy, Cam'Ron, Cee-Lo, Beanie Sigel, Rick Ross, The Game, and Jeezy are better than Drake?  How did you manage to mention Missy Elliot and not Lauryn Hill?
sick.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Now I'm not gonna say that Drake will be top 10 DOA in 10-15 years, but there's some dudes that don't wanna give him credit for being better than 90 95% of the rappers out today.  Kanye's rapping fell off after College Dropout, and this is coming from someone who owns all of his albums except 808s.  WTT wasn't even near what it was expected to be, I'd much rather listen to MBDTF.
are you okay? hell YES Cee-Lo is better than Drake. 
that is all.

Drake makes enjoyable music but I'm not sure about all this "top anything" talk because he's not aiming to make something extremely flawless like how debuts in the '90s seemed to be.

He's a different kind of artist and wants to make albums that are well-rounded and can cater and reach as many people as possible, the guy to have music enjoyed by most.

In this climate in hop-hop music, commercial success and undisputed critical acclaim in all areas of an MC (supreme lyrical ability, amazing production, original musicality and groundbreaking impact) is a very tough balance and almost unheard of anymore.

He has the flare, makes good songs, and at the top of his game as one of the few current hip-hop artists with highly anticipated material but I don't think he can reach it, nor is he trying to. 
However, he has and will make an imprint. That's more than a lot of artists can say.

Originally Posted by niquefreak94

roll.gif

sick.gif
30t6p3b.gif

that is all.
If you're talking about singing, sure. Rapping? No.

sick.gif
30t6p3b.gif

that is all.

i really meant as an artist...but yeah drakes a better rapper.

that is all.

i really meant as an artist...but yeah drakes a better rapper.
It's arguable, I can't be mad at either opinion.

roll.gif

sick.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Missy is novilty rapper just as drake truely is at heart, aubrie just got in the game at the right time, paid no dues. And cee- lo is more then what you see now DF all day... Oh and he is a better singer then WCJ

It is really sad actually but I hold guys like Drake, Cole, Lupe and Kanye in high regard right now for the rap game. I think those group of guys are carrying the torch and are doing as good a job as you can. I like Big Sean too. I like listening to Wiz but dude is a terrible lyricist. Like awful. Same with Ross (dope live performer though). Jeezy isn't that great either IMO but he has a few standout tracks. Fab fell off a bit. Gucci, Nicki, Waka and Weezy are all +%%$.
Completely agree with all that, even though I don't really like Drake, Big Sean is
sick.gif
 to me in comparison to Drake. I'm real big on flow/delivery, so that's why I would prefer not to listen to either one of
them, but can take Ross, Jeezy, and (for some reason) Wiz over them.

Degenerate423 wrote:

"HOLD ON! I usually read through threads before I reply, but this dude is seriously high as %$#@ right now.  You really think Missy, Cam'Ron, Cee-Lo, Beanie Sigel, Rick Ross, The Game, and Jeezy are better than Drake?  How did you manage to mention Missy Elliot and not Lauryn Hill?
sick.gif
30t6p3b.gif
..."

Is Drake a better pure rapper than any of them? Something makes me wanna say he's better than Cam'Ron and Young Jeezy, but i feel like I'd be really shortchanging Cam based on
Purple Haze and Come Home With Me. But everybody else, especially Cee-Lo, no, Drake isn't a better rapper than any of them.

Originally Posted by OneTrust

laugh.gif
saying no one is putting out his type of music.  Yeah you're correct.  Nobody is making that cornball $!#* that sounds the same EACH time.  Drake is overrated as HELL.

this

he sucks....period

roll.gif

sick.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Homie, I came up with that list off the top of my head.  I failed to mention Lauryn so add one more MC to the list that Drake will never surpass (and she obliterates him singing too).  And yes, at the moment every rapper that I named is and should be considered greater than Drake at this point in his career, even those among his "contemporaries."

How is he "greater" than anyone I named at this exact point in his career?  Please explain if you actually believe this to be so.

roll.gif

sick.gif
30t6p3b.gif

that is all.

Enlighten me please, from what I've heard from Cee-Lo, he's not better than Drake.  Maybe at R&B, but that'd be it...

sick.gif
30t6p3b.gif

that is all.

Enlighten me please, from what I've heard from Cee-Lo, he's not better than Drake.  Maybe at R&B, but that'd be it...
like i said earlier...as an artist...from goodie mob...to gnarls barkely...to lady killer. 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom