10-15 years from now....Drake, top 10 DOA?

I guess the ability to judge current artists has been compromised as the quality of the music itself has gone to +%+*.

I know an opinion is yours and your opinion alone... But this is a stupid *%%%@@% opinion...

Op said He's almost top 10 DOA now 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
  Come on fella he doesn't even have a classic album yet...

I don't see it happening. Do people still even bump TML? Very forgettable album. His fanbase is eerily similar to nelly's too. And Headlines was another forgettable track. I just don't see it.

i was waiting on someone to add a list of all the people he would have to surpass so everyone could see how absurd this %#!! is. thank you Red. but really it boils down to this...will he ever be considered better than.

1. Pac
2. Big
3. Jay-Z
4. Andre 3000
5. Eminem
6. Nas
7. Pun
8. Kanye
9. Big Boi
10. Anyone in Goodie Mob

(i just threw out 10 people that came to mind...no order or anything...just 10 people off the dome he could never pass)

Tracks off Ready To Die have been in rotation 18 summers in a row, b.....18.

The hype from Drake's mediocre debut album didn't last 18 weeks.

I enjoy a lot of dudes music but come on dog...GREATEST OF ALL TIME?!

SMH

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

Top 10 of what tho?
Rap? Hell no, son's rapping has been average at best lately (Comeback Season was nice tho)

R&B? Hell to the F no, his singing is weak as hell.

What ya'll fail to realize is Drake is a slightly above average rapper and below average singer, that's laced with hot beats and is backed by Baby/Wayne. Talent wise he's nothing special

Sometimes it really upsets me i'm apart of this easily fooled generation.
This.
It seems like the only point being made in favor of Drake being top 10 DOA(in the future) is that he's alot better than the CURRENT artist that are out which means nothing compared to guys who are already legends. Dude has one solid mixtape/EP, a decent Album and numerous features and people act like he's a God of hip hop. If it wasn't for his ability to sing(with studio help
eyes.gif
) and make tracks for the ladies his buzz wouldn't even be the way it is now. We're talkin top 10 DOA for Hip Hop so the singing gimmick shouldn't even be used to support the DOA claim. Take away them hooks he be singing, and the R&B tracks and what do you have? A legit rapper but thats it. All the artist that someone posted a few pages back never needed the singing gimmick to be who they are (Pac,Big,Rakim,Rae,Big Daddy Kane,Big L,etc...) and as a HIP HOP artist Drake hasn't done ANYTHING better than those guys or even remotely close. I'm a fan of Drake but dude couldn't even top a mixtape with an album that he claimed was "bigger".

laugh.gif
the ranking system is the worst concept. There is NO and I repeat NO 1-10 list that will be accepted by all. This thread is pointless because its based on opinions, albeit popular ones. This goes for music, sports, women, cars, cell phones, pizza toppings etc.

Some may think he his top 10 DOA now. Others will laugh at the question. No ones wrong, no ones right.

10 years ago people ain't think lil wayne was gonna be what he was right now though. Ain't no telling what the future gonna look like, so let it all play out.

Originally Posted by carbon16

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

Top 10 of what tho?
Rap? Hell no, son's rapping has been average at best lately (Comeback Season was nice tho)

R&B? Hell to the F no, his singing is weak as hell.

What ya'll fail to realize is Drake is a slightly above average rapper and below average singer, that's laced with hot beats and is backed by Baby/Wayne. Talent wise he's nothing special

Sometimes it really upsets me i'm apart of this easily fooled generation.
This.
It seems like the only point being made in favor of Drake being top 10 DOA(in the future) is that he's alot better than the CURRENT artist that are out which means nothing compared to guys who are already legends. Dude has one solid mixtape/EP, a decent Album and numerous features and people act like he's a God of hip hop. If it wasn't for his ability to sing(with studio help
eyes.gif
) and make tracks for the ladies his buzz wouldn't even be the way it is now. We're talkin top 10 DOA for Hip Hop so the singing gimmick shouldn't even be used to support the DOA claim. Take away them hooks he be singing, and the R&B tracks and what do you have? A legit rapper but thats it. All the artist that someone posted a few pages back never needed the singing gimmick to be who they are (Pac,Big,Rakim,Rae,Big Daddy Kane,Big L,etc...) and as a HIP HOP artist Drake hasn't done ANYTHING better than those guys or even remotely close. I'm a fan of Drake but dude couldn't even top a mixtape with an album that he claimed was "bigger".
tumblr_lm2t84ycDF1qbsdri.gif
Logic.

Originally Posted by Brondiesel

I honestly envision Drake droppin out the rap game in 5 years tops. He aint bout dat life, and I think he'll wanna get more into acting.
Rapping is just a current gig for him. Time will tell I guess

he should go back to degrassi and teach there although hed be in a wheel chair correct?

Originally Posted by NobleKane

Originally Posted by Brondiesel

I honestly envision Drake droppin out the rap game in 5 years tops. He aint bout dat life, and I think he'll wanna get more into acting.
Rapping is just a current gig for him. Time will tell I guess

he should go back to degrassi and teach there although hed be in a wheel chair correct?
Stem Cell Research......he can walk again

Spoiler [+]
Aliens Fixed him M. Night Shamalanmabalan

I'm standing by my statement...Drake will be in a lot of yalls top 10 list come 10-15 years from.

I mean if Kanye West and Lupe can make some of yalls list... Why cant Drake if he stays consistent and puts in the work...?

I bet if I made a "10-15 years from now....Kanye West, top 10 DOA?" thread when "Through the Wire" first dropped I would get the same reactions...

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

I'm standing by my statement...Drake will be in a lot of yalls top 10 list come 10-15 years from.

I mean if Kanye West and Lupe can make some of yalls list... Why cant Drake if he stays consistent and puts in the work...?

I bet if I made a "10-15 years from now....Kanye West, top 10 DOA?" thread when "Through the Wire" first dropped I would get the same reactions...
College Dropout, Late Registration, MBDTF, Food and Liquor Advance, The Cool >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Drake's Career

Originally Posted by boricuachulo321

College Dropout, Late Registration, MBDTF, Food and Liquor Advance, The Cool >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Drake's Career

Fam' I'm not disagreeing with the Kanye part...But you're comparing a 10+ year career to a man with ONE LP under his belt.... Let the man flourish.

I like I said, If he stays consistent and focused.... 10-15 years from now....Top 10 on a lot of yalls lists.

And for the Record...When it comes to College Dropout..... Production>Lyrics

10-15 more years of what he's currently doing= Not top 10 DOA imo.  He would have to step it up to another level in a way that I don't see happening.

Originally Posted by boricuachulo321

Fam' I'm not disagreeing with the Kanye part...But you're comparing a 10+ year career to a man with ONE LP under his belt.... Let the man flourish.

I like I said, If he stays consistent and focused.... 10-15 years from now....Top 10 on a lot of yalls lists.

And for the Record...When it comes to College Dropout..... Production>Lyrics
The biggest problem though is that I don't think you realize how influential a lot of these other rappers were/are. Drake only stands out because his music is marginally good compared to the trash that gets put out in this day and age.
Someone said that Nas, Biggie, Pac stood out because of the trash that there was before. That statement literally made me go 
laugh.gif
 Whoever said that needs to go and do their research.

To put Drake as a rapper on the same list as Rakim, Big Pun, Common etc is just foolishness in my eyes, no disrepect. If anything I feel like the legacy of those rappers is being disrespected by even saying that someone that puts out TML as their debut LP is going to be top 10.

It's not like he's shown progress since TML either, so I don't know why you say let him flourish. He's only regressed since SFG and hasn't shown a single sign of getting better.

There are some ridiculous statements in here.

SFG is a classic? The word classic lost it's meaning.

The music forum is garbage.
30t6p3b.gif

Technically it wouldn't be fair to make that post till after College Dropout came out, but anyways...
The problem every is having with saying Drake is top 10 in 15 years is the fact that he is a lyrically average rapper and his subject matter is limited at best.  Kanye spits wack stuff here and there but he has dropped ill verses and touched on a range of different topics in his music.  What has Drake (since SFG) said besides crying bout women, how much money he has, and how hard 
eyes.gif
 his life is?...Exactly, nothing. I've never heard a Drake verse and been like 
eek.gif
, its all just average !#*%.

Back
Top Bottom