10-15 years from now....Drake, top 10 DOA?

Originally Posted by SaintVitus07

I don't follow him like some of the younger people on here but doesn't the man just have one official album out at this point? Is the talent level now so depleted that threads like this, based on an actor-turned-rapper/r&b artist who has one album to his name, have any merit? Are you guys really that blind to history? Hip hop has been around for nearly 40 years and you're willingly suggesting this dude is top 10 DOA in 10 years?
tired.gif

Kanye, Lupe and Em made peoples lists....and they've been in the game for just about 10 years or less....so Why cant drake make the list in TEN years?....

As completely ludicrous as this notion is, I tried to bring some actual content to the discussion but you Drake guys ignored it.

Bottom line is that Drake is a decent rapper and singer who makes good radio and club songs.  Nothing about him is exceptional as an MC - not his flow, his lyrics, his storytelling, his emotion or passion, his voice, his vocabulary, his energy, his social commentary, etc.  The best things he has going for him are his ear for beats, his ability to make catchy songs, and his ability to sing relatively decently.  And y'all sincerely think he's going to be widely considered one of the greatest of all time??
roll.gif

He's arguably not even Top 5 of the past five years when you put him up against Kanye, Wayne, Ross, TI, Game, and whoever else people want to throw in there...

And you wanna throw Drakes teeny-bopper acting background into it to down play sons lyrical skill?...Em use to be Trailer Trash...Now He's one of the most well respected Lyricist in Hip-Hop history....Who would have thought....?

Originally Posted by IamMD

Originally Posted by Deuce King

roll.gif
laugh.gif
 I understand that rap was in its early stages and not yet developed..but please. BE SERIOUS.  

Actually champ, you be serious.  Your getting random punchlines going nowhere confused with actually rap music.  In comparison between the two Wayne is a butter-knife and Big Daddy Kane is a machete.

yeah, because Wayne didn't master the art of delivery and flowm.
indifferent.gif
 be serious, slim.  However, I do agree (and i'm sure everybody does) he lacks any type of substance.

Again, be serious champ.  All Wayne did was copy and paste his flow and entire style from his idol that he is now trying to diss.  You call that mastering the art of delivery and flow, I call it blatant plagiarism.  Is his last name really even Carter?? 

Hip hop has been around for nearly 40 years and you're willingly suggesting this dude is top 10 DOA in 10 years?
tired.gif

I agree, it's sad and embarrassing.  Certain things just aren't being passed down from one generation to the next, either that or the younger generation just doesn't want to listen and be informed.      

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

I don't follow him like some of the younger people on here but doesn't the man just have one official album out at this point? Is the talent level now so depleted that threads like this, based on an actor-turned-rapper/r&b artist who has one album to his name, have any merit? Are you guys really that blind to history? Hip hop has been around for nearly 40 years and you're willingly suggesting this dude is top 10 DOA in 10 years?
tired.gif

Kanye, Lupe and Em made peoples lists....and they've been in the game for just about 10 years or less....so Why cant drake make the list in TEN years?....
Because he isn't as talented as any of them?

Originally Posted by red mpls

As completely ludicrous as this notion is, I tried to bring some actual content to the discussion but you Drake guys ignored it.

Bottom line is that Drake is a decent rapper and singer who makes good radio and club songs.  Nothing about him is exceptional as an MC - not his flow, his lyrics, his storytelling, his emotion or passion, his voice, his vocabulary, his energy, his social commentary, etc.  The best things he has going for him are his ear for beats, his ability to make catchy songs, and his ability to sing relatively decently.  And y'all sincerely think he's going to be widely considered one of the greatest of all time??
roll.gif

He's arguably not even Top 5 of the past five years when you put him up against Kanye, Wayne, Ross, TI, Game, and whoever else people want to throw in there...

i'm convinced you've never heard a drake tape.

Originally Posted by illphillip

tired.gif

...Say whaaaat? Drake is MILES ahead of Kanye Lyrically and right there with him musically imo ...and at any given time lyrically just as good as Em and Lupe... You may not agree about the subject matter on which he chooses to rap about, but he's a great  lyricist...

...Say whaaaat? Drake is MILES ahead of Kanye Lyrically and right there with him musically imo ...and at any given time lyrically just as good as Em and Lupe... You may not agree about the subject matter on which he chooses to rap about, but he's a great  lyricist...

indifferent.gif
AND I'm done...there's no coming back from a comment as completely ludicrous and ridiculous as that.

Originally Posted by boricuachulo321

indifferent.gif
AND I'm done...there's no coming back from a comment as completely ludicrous and ridiculous as that.

Ok
laugh.gif
Be done and move along then... no sleep lost, no opinions changed...

Its like yall have something against this man... I mean, I can understand him NOT being in ya'll Top___ Lists....but yall arent giving the man ANY musical credit at all...

That right there just lets me and others know everything that we need to know about you regarding hip hop.  Best of luck to you in your future endeavours champ, and God bless.

Bottom line is that Drake is a decent rapper and singer who makes good radio and club songs.  Nothing about him is exceptional as an MC - not his flow, his lyrics, his storytelling, his emotion or passion, his voice, his vocabulary, his energy, his social commentary, etc. The best things he has going for him are his ear for beats, his ability to make catchy songs, and his ability to sing relatively decently. And y'all sincerely think he's going to be widely considered one of the greatest of all time??
roll.gif

oh...

Drake isthe most introspective rapper in hip hop right now,he's a well rounded artistwith enough talent to speak on differnet topics like any artist should.

Originally Posted by Enchanted1

Bottom line is that Drake is a decent rapper and singer who makes good radio and club songs.� Nothing about him is exceptional as an MC - not his flow, his lyrics, his storytelling, his emotion or passion, his voice, his vocabulary, his energy, his social commentary, etc.� The best things he has going for him are his ear for beats, his ability to make catchy songs, and his ability to sing relatively decently.� And y'all sincerely think he's going to be widely considered one of the greatest of all time??
roll.gif

oh...

Drake is�the most introspective rapper in hip hop right now,�he's a well rounded artist�with enough talent to speak on differnet topics like any artist should.�
laugh.gif

Introspective...about what? If you look at the lyrics they're self-pitying. How many of us here would pity the dude or his family? So because he exaggerates whatever "struggles" he's going through (yeah, money is a struggle 
tired.gif
) this is somehow supposed to be deep and make him "the most introspective rapper in hip hop right now?" I am not saying they're not decent lyrics at face value but there are plenty of rappers out there who write introspective songs with deeper lyrics. Just because the dude writes a song about the guilt of having a fancy car while his dad is supposedly buying cigarettes with dollars and some change (don't know what the alternative is aside from a credit card
laugh.gif
) doesn't mean the guy is the most introspective out there.

I actually like Drake. I like that he's not on that tough guy %%!!. I like that he's not afraid to be "sensitive". That %%#+ is real. All these cats running around like thug/pimps on that %@%+%%%$. And I appreciate that Drake is not that.

But you sound like a groupie. You are making this guy out to be so much more than he is.

He is NOT miles ahead of Kanye lyrically. I'd say they are on roughly the same level. Drake's delivery is better. But word for word, bar for bar, they are on the same level.

But Kanye PRODUCES. So how in the !!!% could they be anywhere near the same level musically.

I said talented. Between rapping and production, he's nowhere near as talented as Kanye. And I'm not even a Kanye fan because he's such a B**** A**.

At any given time as good as Em or Lupe? You mean like...on his BEST day and their worst? Not even.

You're really losing right now. You really believe this %%!! you're kicking?

SaintVitus07 wrote:
Originally Posted by Enchanted1

Bottom line is that Drake is a decent rapper and singer who makes good radio and club songs.� Nothing about him is exceptional as an MC - not his flow, his lyrics, his storytelling, his emotion or passion, his voice, his vocabulary, his energy, his social commentary, etc.� The best things he has going for him are his ear for beats, his ability to make catchy songs, and his ability to sing relatively decently.� And y'all sincerely think he's going to be widely considered one of the greatest of all time??
roll.gif

oh...

Drake is�the most introspective rapper in hip hop right now,�he's a well rounded artist�with enough talent to speak on differnet topics like any artist should.�
laugh.gif

Introspective...about what? If you look at the lyrics they're self-pitying. How many of us here would pity the dude or his family? So because he exaggerates whatever "struggles" he's going through (yeah, money is a struggle�
tired.gif
) this is somehow supposed to be deep and make him "the most introspective rapper in hip hop right now?" I am not saying they're not decent lyrics at face value but there are plenty of rappers out there who write introspective songs with deeper lyrics. Just because the dude writes a song about the guilt of having a fancy car while his dad is supposedly buying cigarettes with dollars and some change (don't know what the alternative is aside from a credit card
laugh.gif
)
doesn't mean the guy is the most introspective out there.

LOL i'm on the opposing end of this argument, but that made me laugh..lol..how else is he supposed to cop cigs?
laugh.gif

funnypic195.gif

And I'm a Drake fan...

Originally Posted by Rolaholic

funnypic195.gif

And I'm a Drake fan...

where do people get this idea that Kanye can rap????? I never understood this.  

SaintVitus07 wrote:
Enchanted1 wrote:

roll.gif

oh...

laugh.gif

Introspective...about what? If you look at the lyrics they're self-pitying. How many of us here would pity the dude or his family? So because he exaggerates whatever "struggles" he's going through (yeah, money is a struggle�
tired.gif
laugh.gif
) doesn't mean the guy is the most introspective out there.

Ok saying he's the "most introspective" was a stretch, I haven't even listened to every hip hop artist to say that. My thing was why do people who don't like Drake make broad�statements like he's not real, or he only makes girl songs, or just flat out denying his skill. There's a reason he took over in 09 and hasn't stopped since, there is substance behind his music and lyrics but some people refuse to admit that. We all have our qouta's when it comes to a great MC. For me it's lyrical skill, emotion, honesty, and the ability to make great records. Drake has all of that and those who refuse to give him that credit are just flat out hater's. You don't have to like the guy but to say he doesn't have what it takes to be truely great is just false. He's only 1 Album in btw, and it proved he has the capabilty to create those "classic"�albums needed to be great.

funnypic195.gif

And I'm a Drake fan...

this. i mean hes good, but no where near this lyrical god ppl make him out to be...its just that he makes GREAT music alltogether

funnypic195.gif

And I'm a Drake fan...

I agree. Kanye is not that great of a rapper but to say Drake is miles ahead of him is reaching and to say he's with him musically is just down right embarrassing. Kanye is a producer and Drake is lucky enough to be friends with one of the best up and coming producers. That doesn't make him musically on the same page as Kanye.

And to whoever said Wayne can rap circles around Big Daddy Kane, just stop. This thread has really brought out the ignorance in people. Because if that's the case then you might as well say that Blink 182 can play circles around Led Zepplin or Pinky Floyd. This thread is done.

Originally Posted by jc619er

funnypic195.gif

And I'm a Drake fan...

I agree. Kanye is not that great of a rapper but to say Drake is miles ahead of him is reaching and to say he's with him musically is just down right embarrassing. Kanye is a producer and Drake is lucky enough to be friends with one of the best up and coming producers. That doesn't make him musically on the same page as Kanye.

And to whoever said Wayne can rap circles around Big Daddy Kane, just stop. This thread has really brought out the ignorance in people.
Word to all this.

funnypic195.gif

And I'm a Drake fan...

And to whoever said Wayne can rap circles around Big Daddy Kane, just stop. This thread has really brought out the ignorance in people. Because if that's the case then you might as well say that Blink 182 can play circles around Led Zepplin or Pinky Floyd. This thread is done.

I said that..and my point was that it has evolved for the better, if you ask me. Look how basic the flow was during BDKs time..

I said that..and my point was that it has evolved for the better, if you ask me. Look how basic the flow was during BDKs time..

What flow was basic? I hope you don't mean BDK's because it was clearly not. And let's not forget that during his era you had Rakim, far from basic and Chuck D., far from basic and you had D.O.C. who if he hadn't lost his voice would be in the top 5 period. It was at a turning point where there was still some old school rappers that rapped a little bit simpler, yes but believe me flow back then was far from basic. And trust me there are still plenty of rappers out today that still have some pretty damn basic flows. And flow only does not make a rapper legendary which is why I will never understand the argument for Wayne.

Off top,

I dont think he'll be top 10 DOA, by a long shot, but he will have considerable clout. I dont think he wants "it" that bad. He never came from an adverse circumstance like Jay, Big, Pac, Nas, or KRS so he's never had to develop a sense of desperation that it's either rap and be good at it or bust.

I like Drake, but to me sometimes, i feel like he's just rapping because it's what he wanted to do after acting. It just so happens that he's damn good at it.

Ok

Drake is a top ten mainstream rap artist right now, in a watered down field of mainstream rap. In 10-15 years, since those lists are based on history (meaning the
past up until the present), there's no logical way he could make a top ten DOA list, based on all the other people already in front of him, no matter out "irrelevant"
some of the rappers on those lists may be now.

Back
Top Bottom