*'11-'12 LAKERS Thread; 41-25* 1st Rd: DEN (go to 1st Rd. Thread)

Originally Posted by grittyman20

Originally Posted by NobleKane

Originally Posted by thaSOLEful1

Lakers sign Gerald Green, Josh McRoberts, and Malcolm Thomas

ummmm gerald green? are you serious? 
tired.gif
More than likely to a vet minimum, perhaps even a non-guaranteed contract...what's the big deal?

i dont like him. this is the same guy management wanted to draft a few years back right?

Originally Posted by grittyman20

Originally Posted by thaSOLEful1

Lakers sign Gerald Green, Josh McRoberts, and Malcolm Thomas

ummmm gerald green? are you serious? 
tired.gif
More than likely to a vet minimum, perhaps even a non-guaranteed contract...what's the big deal?
mcroberts not confirmed yet, but yes gerald green hopefully this is only training camp signing

i dont like him. this is the same guy management wanted to draft a few years back right?
Fair enough...and yeah same dude, Gerald "cupcake" Green.

Green and Thomas sound like training camp signings, they may or may not even make the roster. McRoberts seems like he can fill that Turiaf-high energy big off the bench role, can never have enough of those guys around. I'm practicing a little patience with the Laker front office right now, I know every move isn't going to be a home run acquisition and I do trust that they have a plan in place for this season and beyond.

I think Arron Afflalo would be a good back-up to Kobe. Wish there was a way we could get him, he's a RFA.

What a tough week. 
30t6p3b.gif

Stern and the owners really screwed us on this one. 

But as some have said, Mitch and Buss will have a plan, and will work to get it done.  It seems like right off the bat they are trying to get some pieces to move, ie a trade exception, an extra draft pick, then they will dangle either Bynum, or Pau dependant on the deal. 

It's too bad about Paul, but the league is murdering a franchise for their own reasons, let them.  It'll serve them right. 

IF, Kobe and Bynum come in healthy this year, and if they can stay that way, we will be fine.  Barnes is another key guy imo this year, he was hurt last year and it limited him big time.  And the biggest wild card to me is Blake.  The guy can shoot, but he was off last year.  If he's fresh this year, and adds a stroke to our game, along with Kapono, now we have the spacing we'll need for Bynum/Pau to do work, as well as Kobe operate.  Blake needs to have a better season this year. 
Anything we get out of Fish, Luke and Ron are bonuses to me.  I can't expect too much from them.  Again, at least they are rested, best I can hope for. 

PMatic, McRoberts, I know you know his game, he fit in with us decently?  Nobody can replace Odom, but can he at least help us? 

Tupac, I saw Brown runnin up and down the court screamin and cheerin too, I liked it, I admit, but I still worry about him in actual game situations, especially late.  Hope our assistants are top notch this year. 

I'd like Nick Young, he's a black hole, but he puts the ball in the basket, and we could use some of that off the bench. 

Ebanks, I hope this kid is ready.  He could give us an Ariza type come up this year if he worked.  Kobe seems to speak well of him, hope that's a sign. 

i say you give up whatever you can to get Dwight Howard. the team we have now is not getting a championship, we dont get a chip with howard and kobe, so either way i dont see us getting the chip. but for the future of the Lakers, we need a cornerstone. Howard is the future. Just my take on it.

@SpearsNBAYahoo Marc J. Spears
F Josh McRoberts to sign two-year deal using mini mid-level exception with @lakers, source tells Y! Avg 7.2 pts, 6.2 rbs w/Indy last season.

other two deals are probably training camp deals

ok does this mean we don't have anymore money to sign a free-agent? if we want to upgrade at the point guard position it has to come via trade?

Originally Posted by youngpnoi

I think Arron Afflalo would be a good back-up to Kobe. Wish there was a way we could get him, he's a RFA.

well rudy fernandez is gonna be traded to the nuggets and karl said hes gonna be a starter so afflalo might not be that big of a stretch considering the bulls signed rip

I like the Josh pickup I would have preferred K-Mart. We now have two members from the 2005 McDonald's dunk contest.
laugh.gif

McRoberts is a good signing, athletic big with a motor & decent jumper. He can shoot the 3 ball & isn't afraid to get physical, will definitely help off the bench.

Originally Posted by hunter2k4

ok does this mean we don't have anymore money to sign a free-agent? if we want to upgrade at the point guard position it has to come via trade?

In short, shipping Lamar Odom to Dallas is an example of a non-simultaneous exception, and allows the Lakers his salary ($8.9 million) plus $100,000 to work with in future trades (the Lakers have a year to use the credit they received from the trade exception). With this newly acquired $9 million, the Lakers are free to trade with other teams in search of replenishing vacated spots in their lineup.
For many fans, the major question is how this trade exception can be used to assist in the quest to bring Dwight Howard to Los Angeles. Can L.A. trade Bynum for Howard and use the trade exception of $9 million to relieve Orlando of Hedo Turkoglu’s contract? The short answer is no. Hedo is scheduled to receive $10.6 million this year, and the trade exception is not large enough to take on his contract from Orlando. Unless Orlando suddenly desires to trade Howard for Bynum straight up (unlikely considering they recently demanded both Pau and Bynum for Howard), the Lakers’ inability to absorb Hedo’s contract is a major stopping point.

Others have vocalized the possibility of taking on Jameer Nelson’s contract with Dwight Howard, using the Odom exception to cover Jameer’s contract, and trading Bynum for Howard. This trade would give the Magic almost $10 million in additional cap space, plus a capable center in Andrew Bynum. At the same time, many also view this trade as unlikely, as it completely voids the Magic roster of any continuity (Howard, Nelson, Arenas and Bass would have all left to other teams, leaving very little to build around besides Bynum).

Undoubtedly, there are many options that the Lakers have at their disposal. The Lakers still have the $5.4 million dollar trade exception from the Sasha Vujacic trade a year ago, and with $9 million from this recent transaction, the Lakers have money to work with (although trade exceptions cannot be combined).

Essentially we have 5.4 mil and then 9 mil from the Sasha and Lamar exceptions.  

I really would like that deal for Jameer but we know that won't happen. If Hedo makes 10.6, the exception and a pick should cover that right?

Originally Posted by tupac003

hunter2k4 wrote:

In short, shipping Lamar Odom to Dallas is an example of a non-simultaneous exception, and allows the Lakers his salary ($8.9 million) plus $100,000 to work with in future trades (the Lakers have a year to use the credit they received from the trade exception). With this newly acquired $9 million, the Lakers are free to trade with other teams in search of replenishing vacated spots in their lineup.

For many fans, the major question is how this trade exception can be used to assist in the quest to bring Dwight Howard to Los Angeles. Can L.A. trade Bynum for Howard and use the trade exception of $9 million to relieve Orlando of Hedo Turkoglu’s contract? The short answer is no. Hedo is scheduled to receive $10.6 million this year, and the trade exception is not large enough to take on his contract from Orlando. Unless Orlando suddenly desires to trade Howard for Bynum straight up (unlikely considering they recently demanded both Pau and Bynum for Howard), the Lakers’ inability to absorb Hedo’s contract is a major stopping point.

Others have vocalized the possibility of taking on Jameer Nelson’s contract with Dwight Howard, using the Odom exception to cover Jameer’s contract, and trading Bynum for Howard. This trade would give the Magic almost $10 million in additional cap space, plus a capable center in Andrew Bynum. At the same time, many also view this trade as unlikely, as it completely voids the Magic roster of any continuity (Howard, Nelson, Arenas and Bass would have all left to other teams, leaving very little to build around besides Bynum).

Undoubtedly, there are many options that the Lakers have at their disposal. The Lakers still have the $5.4 million dollar trade exception from the Sasha Vujacic trade a year ago, and with $9 million from this recent transaction, the Lakers have money to work with (although trade exceptions cannot be combined).

Essentially we have 5.4 mil and then 9 mil from the Sasha and Lamar exceptions.  

I really would like that deal for Jameer but we know that won't happen. If Hedo makes 10.6, the exception and a pick should cover that right?

Dwight Howard has made it perfectly clear that he doesn't want to play with Jameer any longer.

Originally Posted by CP1708

PMatic, McRoberts, I know you know his game, he fit in with us decently?  Nobody can replace Odom, but can he at least help us?
Athletic, decent shooter, good passer, below average rebounder and defender. Serviceable third big man in rotation behind Bynum and Pau.

Back
Top Bottom