'12 Bulls

Originally Posted by JIM SHADY2003

Originally Posted by wiredz3

JR would be nice, but I'm iffy about a player that pounds the rock. Only guy I want doing that is Rose unless JR is coming off the bench. I wish Korver could play be more consistent (and play D). Watching all these old Bulls games on CSN, the Paxsons, Kerrs and Kukocs came up HUGE. It was an easy game, double Jordan, someone's open, Jordan kicks and they hit open shots. Right now I don't feel there's anybody like that and I hope RIP fills that. If Kirk was working on his shot I would have loved to have him back.

Thats because all those players were terrified to miss shots and knew they would have to deal with wrath MJ who hated his team mates about as much as the team he was playing against. Thats the biggest diffrence I see in Rose in contrast to Jordan as a floor leader. Dude would dog Kukoc all game , I dont think Rose has it in him to do that to Korver
Jordan never dogged anybody, ask Luc
wink.gif

[h3]http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/7353340/rip-hamilton-signs-chicago-bulls[/h3]
[h3]Richard Hamilton to Bulls, three years, $15 million: Thumbs up[/h3]John Hollinger: ESPN Insider

chi.gif

i

The Bulls need another scorer to take some of the heat (and Heat) off Derrick Rose, but let me throw a twist on this: I'm wondering if Chicago should bring Hamilton off the bench. The Bulls' second unit last season played suffocating defense but was basically playing for a scoreless tie; put Hamilton with that group in place of Kyle Korver and they can generate a lot more shots with the same defensive effectiveness.

Regardless of how he's used, this a major upgrade on Keith Bogans. It's not without risk, however, as Hamilton is 33 and my system's projection for him this season was nastily pessimistic. I think he'll prove better than that, as he's one of the best-conditioned players in the game, but it warrants mentioning.

Still, this was a better option than Jamal Crawford, Chicago's other realistic midlevel exception pursuit, and since the third year is only partially guaranteed, they've limited some of the downside risk.

Finally, this was an especially important signing for Chicago because it is built to win now. Yes, there is a lot of young talent, but other teams are going to start chipping away at it once all these guys become free agents; if the Bulls are a tax team, it's going to be hard to justify keeping Taj Gibson or Omer Asik in the face of an inflated offer sheet from another team.
Chicago will have four players making over $12 million dollars in 2013-14, the first year the league's draconian tax penalties kick in, and that's going to have an effect further down the roster. That's why the right approach is to try to get all the W's they can over the next two seasons and deal with the fallout later.

JR would be nice, but I'm iffy about a player that pounds the rock. Only guy I want doing that is Rose unless JR is coming off the bench. I wish Korver could play be more consistent (and play D). Watching all these old Bulls games on CSN, the Paxsons, Kerrs and Kukocs came up HUGE. It was an easy game, double Jordan, someone's open, Jordan kicks and they hit open shots. Right now I don't feel there's anybody like that and I hope RIP fills that. If Kirk was working on his shot I would have loved to have him back.

Thats because all those players were terrified to miss shots and knew they would have to deal with wrath MJ who hated his team mates about as much as the team he was playing against. Thats the biggest diffrence I see in Rose in contrast to Jordan as a floor leader. Dude would dog Kukoc all game , I dont think Rose has it in him to do that to Korver
wink.gif

that si piece was pretty funny

Michael was merciless in an amusing way, but he said things to your face. In 1998 the Bulls had Joe Kleine, Luc Longley and Bill Wennington as their centers. One day Michael was in the training room after a practice, and I was sitting there while he iced down. Those three centers walked by, and Jordan said, "You know what I have to play with?" He looked right at them and said, "Twenty-one feet of s---."

I like Mike as a player and all...

but if I was any one of them centers I would've punched him in the face lol

over/under on our record this year

i put out the wins at 43.5

i say over. we finish at 47 - 15

I was with Cake in that I felt we needed to get and stay young.
Nick Young and JR have a ton of upside, but it would have been a struggle to get them in here, and acclimated to the system.
The bottom line is that the next 2 years look really good, and after that Boozer gets the amnesty, hopefully we can find a Deng trade and we keep it moving.
The reason I still want a Deng trade, is cause long term even after we amnesty Boozer his contract is still a major problem.
I think he is a top 7 SF, but at the same time a top 15 guy at SF and a better shooting guard makes this team better.

My other issue is this. If I have to go through another season where Rose has to shoot 20+ times I'm gone freak. Since Derrick got healthy about 2 years ago he has had to shoot a OD number of times. It affects the looks he gets, and his percentages.
Rose has to average 22-27 for us to be a legit contender, and while he can do it, that's not a healthy outlook to have for this team.

Even come March I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in JR, just cause it has the potential to work.

I think Joakim will improve, I think Carlos will get back to his career levels, I think Rip will be very good. But its not enough, not when Tibbs is gone keep the pedal to the floor through March.

wink.gif
Or Stacey King 
laugh.gif

Rip Hamilton worth a shot, but Bulls shouldn’t expect too much of an impact

At the very good stats-based blog Wages of Wins, Andres Alvarez argues that the Bulls are basically wasting their money on shooting guard Richard Hamilton with a two-year, $10 million deal that carries a team option for a third season. Hamilton has the lowest Wins Produced (a stat the site’s esteemed author, David Berri, created) among all of Chicago’s options at the position, Alvarez points out. Why would you pay someone $10 million over two years  if he’s worse by the numbers than Keith Bogans, Kyle Korver and Ronnie Brewer?

There’s no question that Hamilton, who turns 34 in February, is on the decline. He’s a below-average shooter now, and though the numbers continue to grade him out as a neutral presence on defense, he’ll slip there, too, as his quickness goes. But context is everything, and in the context of the Bulls, Hamilton is worth a flier, even if takes them to the edge of the luxury tax.

The Bulls did not have a shooting guard who was dependable on both ends of the floor last season. Brewer is a fierce defender and fine cutter on offense, but he can’t shoot. Having two players on the court (Brewer and a center, whether it’s Joakim Noah or Omer Asik) who lack range can squeeze any offense to death. Chicago scored nearly seven fewer points per 100 possessions with Brewer on the floor last season, and while you can’t pin that all on him given the teammates he most often played alongside, he didn’t help.

Korver might be the best pure shooter in the league. But coach Tom Thibodeau did not trust his defense, and the Bulls worked to hide him on an opponent’s least-threatening player. Bogans can shoot stand-still jumpers and defend, but he is perhaps the most static offensive player in the NBA. He can’t catch-and-shoot off screens like Korver and Hamilton, and he’s not a cutter like Brewer. And even at this one offensive skill — three-point shooting — Bogans checks in at about the league average (35.5 percent for his career, after making 38 percent last season).

So the Bulls have taken a flier on someone who might be able to combine Korver’s catch-and-shoot skills with respectable defense, solid passing skills, an off-the-dribble game he can use in a pinch and (against the right opponents) an ability to back up the poor, overworked Luol Deng at small forward.

It is a flier, though. Hamilton shot only 39 percent last season coming off screens, according to Synergy Sports. He was much better as a spot-up shooter, something that might reflect the aging process a bit. And the Bulls actually use the catch-and-shoot game a ton already, mostly because Korver and Deng are both comfortable jetting around picks. Nearly 7 percent of Chicago’s possessions ended with a shot taken by a player who had just come off as screen, per Synergy; only five teams ended a greater share of their possessions this way. What more can Hamilton bring? Hamilton prefers 20-footers to threes, so won’t the Bulls be running the same stuff they run for Korver, but in a tighter space?

I’ll get to that in a second, but as an aside: Chicago, compared to the rest of the league, ran few traditional post-up plays and rarely got out on the break. Only two teams finished fewer possessions via post-ups, and only eight were in transition less often. If the Bulls want to add more spice to their offense, these are two places to look. Carlos Boozer is an efficient post scorer, and Noah looked ready to make a leap on offense early last season before hurting his thumb.

Hamilton would appear to be unhelpful in these areas, but basketball is a complex thing. For instance: When Korver catches the ball off of screens, his two main options are to shoot or pass to the big man who set the final screen, presuming that player’s defender has jumped out to help on Korver.

A third option exists, but it’s outside of Korver’s skill set: Catch the ball, dribble into the paint and either launch a floater or dish to an open man somewhere else. Korver essentially never shoots inside of 20 feet; Hamilton has typically attempted about 5.5 such shots per game, and he makes them at a better-than-average rate. He is also the best passer among these four shooting guards, though Brewer has improved his passing, and Korver is very smart at throwing that initial mass mentioned above.

It’s possible that Hamilton’s off-the-bounce game, if used selectively, could create openings that don’t currently exist in Chicago’s offense. It’s also possible that Hamilton makes no difference at all. As Alvarez notes, all of Hamilton’s numbers are trending down, and his preference for mid-ranges shots over three-pointers might create spacing issues that torpedo a lot of possible openings before they happen.

But if Hamilton helps on offense while holding his own on defense, he could provide a small nudge to a team that doesn’t need much more to chase a title. And it’s not as if the Bulls had their pick of everyone on the market. The best shooting guard options — including Arron Afflalo and Jason Richardson, — were restricted free agents and/or out of Chicago’s price range. The Bulls are over the cap, and thus can only offer the full mid-level exception, worth $5 million per season. It looks now as if they could have made a run at Jamal Crawford for that, but he’s a combo guard who loves to shoot, has trouble on defense and can’t spell Deng. A true small forward could have helped, but the best of those have also fallen above Chicago’s price point, and you still need someone to log minutes at shooting guard.

Hamilton fits decently and comes at the right price. He may not be a difference-maker, but when you’re this close to a title, you reach for the right piece — and make sure you can cut bait in short order if it turns out to be the wrong one.

Link

Why is that these type articles always come out AFTER we make a move? All these stat hounds read and know who teams are going after, do them a service and publish your great ideas before they are signed.

I'm not buying it...I have drank the kool aid...if we stay healthy, I see us challenging for the trophy this year.

Got my dvr set for tonight, everything gonna be alright!

can the bulls sign him? don't teams also have a 2.5 level exemption? also how often can you use the MLE, i think it used to be every other year

meh preseason

jimmah looks solid

deng w the hawk looks um, weird

cj not rockin the 32 (rip) takes a while to get used to

pacers being pacers

cant wait to see how rip fits in to this squad and how he's gonna be used

boozer has had two great yells so far

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Even though Tyler takes 7 steps per dribble Boozer is still horrible on defense
30t6p3b.gif

Boozer looks worse than he did in the postseason. How is Hansborough murking this dude on offense and defense? 
indifferent.gif

I like what i see out of Jimmy, playing tough D. Cant wait for him to gain more confidence on offense

Booz is going to get abused all year on D. Dude drops at least 3 passes a game
30t6p3b.gif

Loul has put on some weight.

Rip and Korver running off screens all year
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom