16-Year-Old Turns Down Harvard AND Stanford to go to FAMU vol. yes..........FAMU

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Originally Posted by starzinoureyes

Yay him for choosing an HBCU
pimp.gif
Yay for him?

HBCU's are high school 2.0. What an embarrassment.
laugh.gif

QFT. If he really wanted to go to an HBCU Howard and Morehouse would have been a better choice. It's almost like dude insisted on going to the worst possible school he could attend.

roll.gif
I met this kid a couple times. He takes his macbook everywhere, and he's really short. One of the most annoying kids I've ever met too lol.

I never knew he turned down harvard and stanford, wow

Originally Posted by lazybonejone

That's a good SAT score for an under represented minority. I would say its equivalent to an Asian getting 2400, becoming an Eagle scout, 10 AP or 8 IB courses, and two years of JV Tennis.

So we just get free passes huh?
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by trunks206

That's a good SAT score for an under represented minority. I would say its equivalent to an Asian getting 2400, becoming an Eagle scout, 10 AP or 8 IB courses, and two years of JV Tennis.

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
nah i think he was trying to say how easy asians  have it in comparison (wealth)

*runs out of thread*

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
nah i think he was trying to say how easy asians  have it in comparison (wealth)

*runs out of thread*

him wanting to go to a school and in a way pay respect to the blacks who paved the way for millions to get an education should in no way be slighted.

would Harvard look better on a resume? i'm sure. but its more about the person and his/her connects and then the resume.

16.graduate at 20/21.out of grad school at 22/23. probably all with a 3.6 min gpa.  the connects in those 5-7 yrs will land him a 100k+ job at some point.

connects who can get him a ivy league grad program. 4.0 #1 guy wont hurt a bit

imo undergrad matters but not that much. its the undergrad mentality that matters no matter how small the school

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Originally Posted by bijald0331

Originally Posted by Put em up

*waits for the ignorance to come in and try to down play FAMU....*

(wait for it)

It's hard not to downplay this school when it is a lauding a student who's SAT score is LOWER than my school's entire incoming class AVERAGE (2000+ students). (1447/1600 which translates to a 2171)

And that's not that hard to do when you come from a privleged background, recieve extensive SAT tutoring and are placed into prestigious academic institutions from birth like a large percentage of the kids from your school had the luck to have.  You seriously come into every post like this with your nose turned up into the air, mad at anyone who requirements didn't match your own yet achieved something.

And for the record, the kid is a ****** for this.
Dude both of my parents never went to college. Both of his parents are EDUCATORS. Who the %!!# are you kidding? What kind of assumptions are you making? My parents NEVER helped me with my homework. This dude had a better chance than most out there. I guess I'm wrong to call him out or something because he's SUPPOSED to be underprivileged...
30t6p3b.gif
Why does this kid deserve his own article? That kid from a while back def deserved recognition (with the mother with cancer I think, 1st black valedictorian in a while...) You know why he has his an article? Because he chose FAMU...I'm always going to call out people who make an irrational decision. FTR, almost half of my undergrad class is on financial aid, myself included. Even so, this kid was 50 points below my school's average and you want me to praise him because you assume he had an underprivileged background... right. Sorry, can't do it.  This kid specifically. I'm not even talking about FAMU. 
[table][tr][td] [/td][td]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]First-time Full-time Freshmen[/size][/font]
[/td][td]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Full-time Undergrad (Incl. Fresh)[/size][/font]
[/td][td]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Less Than Full-time Undergrad[/size][/font]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]a)Number of degree-seeking undergraduate students (CDS Item B1 if reporting on Fall 2007 cohort)[/size][/font]
[/td][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]2078[/size][/font][/td][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]8265[/size][/font][/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]b)Number of students in line a who applied for need-based financial aid[/size][/font]
[/td][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]1095[/size][/font][/td][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]4078[/size][/font][/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]c)Number of students in line b who were determined to have financial need[/size][/font]
[/td][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]841[/size][/font][/td][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]3450[/size][/font][/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]d)Number of students in line c who were awarded any financial aid[/size][/font][/td][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]841[/size][/font][/td][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]3450[/size][/font][/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]%[/size][/font]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]j)The average financial aid package of those in line d.Exclude any resources that were awarded to replace EFC(PLUS loans, unsubsidized loans, and private alternative loans)[/size][/font]
[/td][td]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]$28,362[/size][/font]
[/td][td]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]$29,411[/size][/font]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by knightngale

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

*runs out of thread*

I dont think so.
 I took it as a Asian student would have to get all that just to get the same chance that this "under represented minority" got.

Originally Posted by roc4life24

him wanting to go to a school and in a way pay respect to the blacks who paved the way for millions to get an education should in no way be slighted.

would Harvard look better on a resume? i'm sure. but its more about the person and his/her connects and then the resume.

16.graduate at 20/21.out of grad school at 22/23. probably all with a 3.6 min gpa.  the connects in those 5-7 yrs will land him a 100k+ job at some point.

connects who can get him a ivy league grad program. 4.0 #1 guy wont hurt a bit

imo undergrad matters but not that much. its the undergrad mentality that matters no matter how small the school

If you wanna play this card, he could also go to Harvard to honor black people who never had the opportunity. I don't know how going to a crappier school is better for the black community as a whole. 

If he was serious about his education he would go somewhere he could be challenged.

(wait for it)

It's hard not to downplay this school when it is a lauding a student who's SAT score is LOWER than my school's entire incoming class AVERAGE (2000+ students). (1447/1600 which translates to a 2171)

And that's not that hard to do when you come from a privleged background, recieve extensive SAT tutoring and are placed into prestigious academic institutions from birth like a large percentage of the kids from your school had the luck to have.  You seriously come into every post like this with your nose turned up into the air, mad at anyone who requirements didn't match your own yet achieved something.

Dude both of my parents never went to college. Both of his parents are EDUCATORS. Who the %!!# are you kidding? What kind of assumptions are you making? My parents NEVER helped me with my homework. This dude had a better chance than most out there. I guess I'm wrong to call him out or something because he's SUPPOSED to be underprivileged...
30t6p3b.gif
Why does this kid deserve his own article? That kid from a while back def deserved recognition (with the mother with cancer I think, 1st black valedictorian in a while...) You know why he has his an article? Because he chose FAMU...I'm always going to call out people who make an irrational decision. FTR, almost half of my undergrad class is on financial aid, myself included. Even so, this kid was 50 points below my school's average and you want me to praise him because you assume he had an underprivileged background... right. Sorry, can't do it.  This kid specifically. I'm not even talking about FAMU. 
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]First-time Full-time Freshmen[/size][/font]
[/td][td]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Full-time Undergrad (Incl. Fresh)[/size][/font]
[/td][td]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Less Than Full-time Undergrad[/size][/font]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]a)Number of degree-seeking undergraduate students (CDS Item B1 if reporting on Fall 2007 cohort)[/size][/font]
[/td][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]2078[/size][/font][/td][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]8265[/size][/font][/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]b)Number of students in line a who applied for need-based financial aid[/size][/font]
[/td][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]1095[/size][/font][/td][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]4078[/size][/font][/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]c)Number of students in line b who were determined to have financial need[/size][/font]
[/td][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]841[/size][/font][/td][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]3450[/size][/font][/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]d)Number of students in line c who were awarded any financial aid[/size][/font][/td][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]841[/size][/font][/td][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]3450[/size][/font][/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/font]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]j)The average financial aid package of those in line d.Exclude any resources that were awarded to replace EFC(PLUS loans, unsubsidized loans, and private alternative loans)[/size][/font]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]
*double post.

(wait for it)

30t6p3b.gif
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/font]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]
You're disdain for this kid lies in the fact that someone chose to right an article about him? I'm not going to say you're jealous of him, but the tone of your replies seems to speak to that fact.  From your sig lines and posts, it appears you're working hard and doing well for yourself, so why hate on this kid?   We don't know why he made his decision so we can't call it irrational until he gives his justification, does that sound right?  In my mind, he might be making a bigger decision than even he knows.  How did Harvard and other Ivy league schools become so dominant?  I think it is because someone decided to attend these universities despite there being an option for a better choice. 

I will say that the article was poorly written and biased, but I will not say that his decision was irrational just yet.

Btw, congrats on your success.  I hope you achieve all of your goals.

I'm surprised how all the "intelligent" NT'ers put so much stock into SAT scores. Standardized tests are a crapshoot. Even the Adcoms know that. There are simply too many variables involved with human intelligence that standardized tests fail to assess accurately. 

im calling ducktales on homie. This poorly written article does not convince me of anything, it make me question the kid. If I dont see acceptance letters then I do not believe anything.

First thing i thought of after reading that pathetic article (claiming UA and Penn st ivy leagues
sick.gif
:smh:
sick.gif
:smh:
eyes.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
):

for those too lazy to click the link its the kid who faked his recruitment to CAL

Originally Posted by bigmoe34

(wait for it)

30t6p3b.gif
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/font]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]
You're disdain for this kid lies in the fact that someone chose to right an article about him? I'm not going to say you're jealous of him, but the tone of your replies seems to speak to that fact.  From your sig lines and posts, it appears you're working hard and doing well for yourself, so why hate on this kid?   We don't know why he made his decision so we can't call it irrational until he gives his justification, does that sound right?  In my mind, he might be making a bigger decision than even he knows.  How did Harvard and other Ivy league schools become so dominant?  I think it is because someone decided to attend these universities despite there being an option for a better choice. 

I will say that the article was poorly written and biased, but I will not say that his decision was irrational just yet.

Btw, congrats on your success.  I hope you achieve all of your goals.
Does it matter how they became dominant when they are the dominant presences in academia and elite professional life, the best students go there, the best professors and researchers are there, and the best resources are  there? I just have to question the decision. Like I said, dude is smart. He should always reach for the best. We are talking about FAMU and Harvard here. You're right, I shouldn't have said irrational. More dumbfounding than anything. 
Standardized test scores are a crapshoot? Okay. MCAT, LSAT, GMAT, and GRE don't matter. Of course there are outliers. Why does FAMU make that the major emphasis of the article if it doesn't mean anything?

I'm done here. Hope the kid the best. 

Originally Posted by letsgetit22

pimp.gif
Yay for him?

laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
 what HBCU's have you been to?
That's a dumb statement. I can see you saying that about Community College....
I'm sure there are some HBCU's that are a joke, but you can say that about all of them...
Going to a to a top HBCU is > than going to an average diverse college....
I would only go to a top HBCU like Howard or Morehouse (Spellman if I was female)
Most people at these schools take it serious and the school and alumni want to see you succeed....

pimp.gif
Yay for him?

laugh.gif

indifferent.gif
The alphabet agencies sure does love my school which is an HBCU. Guess we must be the exception huh?
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by rhester

pimp.gif
Yay for him?

laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
That's a dumb statement. I can see you saying that about Community College....
I'm sure there are some HBCU's that are a joke, but you can say that about all of them...
Going to a to a top HBCU is > than going to an average diverse college....
I would only go to a top HBCU like Howard or Morehouse (Spellman if I was female)
Most people at these schools take it serious and the school and alumni want to see you succeed....
No, it's not a dumb statement. I would never attend one, especially as a multi-racial individual.

Grandma was a dean at Howard, I saw all I needed to see. So please spare me the "take it serious" talk.

Wow at the negativity towards FAMU. I'm in my last semester of graduate school at FAMU. School has been good to me. I'm use to people talking negative about my school. Stereotyping the people that go there. It's frustrating when people are surprised that I go to FAMU. I've learned a lot from this institution and proud to be a Rattler.
pimp.gif
Good luck to the dude.

Originally Posted by thekckid

if you are brillant it doesn't matter what school you go to.

Yes it does.
And it matters more if you aren't brilliant. Brilliant this kid is not.

Back
Top Bottom