2008 CDP Reflection Thread. What did it really mean? Has JB tarnished its significance?

blatant money grab by jb. i'll never forget that video of everyone's favourite villain gentry hyping the cdp by promising the future plan would be to make og colourways seldom release and when they do, they'd be regional exclusives and very hard to get.

anyway, i didn't get many, since the retail here in aus even in 08 was AUD$500, ended up importing all the ones i got.

2's: my first pair of 2's, rubbish plastic leather and tiny piece of foam in the collar which you could see between the stitching. ended up selling them.
6's: loved them, but they are poor next to recent retros. although i had no complaints at the time, they were one of the better cdps, they were still not as good as they should have been. i still regret selling them after i got salty about missing the all important xi/xii pack. swore of jays for most of the following year and sold a chunk from my rotation.
7's: bought them on their own a few years back, still wear them today. funny MINOTAURO felt these were a size too big, mine fit just right, and the '12 olys were just about a full size too big in comparison!
9's: felt stiff and the sole hard. sold while salty.
14: still got my pair. was never happy with the colourway so i added white to the midsole (you can see them in this thread )
17: still got mine. don't have og's so it's better than nothing.
21: still got mine, they are okay. don't love them, but not worth selling because i'd get nothing for them.

Last edited:
I ball in mine regularly and they hold up fine. the 14 was good quality imo. it was also retro + so I don't see why you are comparing it to "the OG". Started hooping in them after  heard the last shots were coming back, but then I went MIA and slept hard on a ton of releases for a year or so. still salty as hell lol
 I'm talking about the 2011s not the CDP and I'm comparing them to the OG because that is what they are based on so I expect them to be reasonably similar which they aren't. If you compare them, you'll see what I'm on about.

It's like those dudes that take a Toyota MR2 and make it look like a Ferrari 360. It looks like a Ferrari but it just isn't. This is what JB is doing with current retros. Only difference is they charge Ferrari money for a Toyota.

Last edited:
"Tarnished"? "Significance"? JB was already on the downward slide and the light was only shone brighter when the CDPs dropped.

Made sure I only bought packs where I wanted both shoes:
VII/XVI - was actually after the 16s more since I knew we wouldn't see them again for awhile, but Hares have really grown on me over the years (despite its extra roominess). Both solid shoes and no regrets.
XI/XII - getting this pack was a no-brainer...until you actually wore your 11s. :x Never owned the OGs/2001s, but I sure as hell know what cardboard feels like. And despite yet another issue with sizing, Taxis were on point.

Other thoughts:
Carmine VIs - without a doubt one of, if not THE hottest CDP shoe, but I just couldn't get behind those XVIIs :smh: pretty sure we'll see a re-retro of the Carmines within 2 years, as OP pointed out JB's already rolled out the good stuff again ie. III to V. The only uncertainty will be the if Js will still be crazy hard to cop (probably)
Other trash shoes/no one wanted: XXs, XXIs, XXIIs (those sat just the previous year!), XIVs, XV, and for the most part XIIIs and XIXs
XIII/X - I personally didn't care for the Xs

The suede was the worst, I just got split packs. Wouldn't even wear some of those kicks for beaters.

Personally, the other significance of the pack was that this was around the time I really started taking a firmer stand against JB's marketing gimmicks. That whole forcing you to buy one crap pair to get one you wanted was a bridge too far for me. I've never been a completely lotal JB customer since. At that point, my Jordan spend become more disproportionately toward OGs than it had even been before, and I haven't reverted consistently since. In this hobby, you vote with your wallet. So, I voted that I would rather pay the price of a full 3/20 pack for a pair of 2001 IIIs than for the pack.

I'll second BIP on this and leave some food for thought there. From '04 to '07 Nike/JB were experimenting with lower quality materials on the OG colourways while Retro+ had 'decent' materials. With the CDP, both OG and Retro+ were bad. They stripped the padding from all the shoes and replaced the genuine leather with plastic leather or 'ashy larry' suede on all of them. The non-OG colourblocking on XV and up was just terrible - almost as if someone just mocked up some colours in about 10 minutes just before leaving the office for the weekend.

Can any Nike employees (past or present) confirm if there were actual samples made for the CDPs? And if so, how did they get the green light to go into production?

Last edited:
honestly am i the only one who thinks the VII/XVI pack was the best executed outta ALL the countdown packs?

Hands down best in my book... It was the only one where I wanted both shoes... The only other pack I got was VI/XVII.. Still have both Packs

I'm talking about the 2011s not the CDP and I'm comparing them to the OG because that is what they are based on so I expect them to be reasonably similar which they aren't. If you compare them, you'll see what I'm on about.

It's like those dudes that take a Toyota MR2 and make it look like a Ferrari 360. It looks like a Ferrari but it just isn't. This is what JB is doing with current retros. Only difference is they charge Ferrari money for a Toyota.
oh. well they have been doing this for many years.

air-jordan-xviii-black-red-2.jpg
subtract these from that list, they are fire.

I just use the XI's XIV's, XV's, XVII's, XVIII's, XIX's,XX's and XX1's as beaters.

Last edited:
I only have XI / XII & VI / XVII.

XI / XII - First off, the XI is as bad as people say it is.. feels like cardboard under your feet with a colorway painted on. After countless wears and them still looking fresh, the 23 on the back of one of mine is finally starting to peel. The ankle cushioning is absolute crap compared to my DMP XI (excuse me comparing a lot to that pack, it's the closest to early retro / OG I have). With that being said, everything you read about these are true, from crap quality, to peeling 23, to cardboard mesh on the sides and even the heel cushion is cheaped out.

The XII on the other hand is underrated and not mentioned in reviews due to the complaints of the XI. The XII was my first pair of XIIs so I can't compare to OGs, but in comparison to the XI in the pack and all the other retros I have, they are surprisingly comfortable. I was a fool and went .5 a size up after reading people's complaints about sizing, got a 12 instead of 11.5, and they both fit loose. Even with that said, the XII is still a solid shoe from the CDP series.

VI / XVII - The VI is one of my all time grails, so it's no surprise to why I copped. In comparison to my DMP VI, any VI past 2006 will fail. That being said, I'll compare them to the Varsity Red VI that I own. The carmines seem to have the same comfort level and cushion as most of the GR VI that I've seen. (Which makes me :smh: because I paid money for a limited pack with poor quality) The material on the outer, though, is actually nice. The leather is decent and the material on the toe box is smooth and fresh. The soles weren't doused with the blue tint like we get now, but yellowing on Carmines always gave them that "OG look" that people talk about. They are one of the few pairs that I find yellowed soles acceptable on.

The XVII was also underrated due to them being in a pack with an extremely hyped and sought-after shoe. These were pretty damn good in comfort considering the VI were not necessarily clouds on feet, but I did face sizing issues with these. I got TTS on this pack (11.5) and the Carmines fit perfect, but these were a bit too snug. I removed the lace covers and loosened the laces a ton to get them to fit comfortably. The ankle cushioning on these was surprisingly good, and the arch support on these were good too. I do agree with people on the complaints about the suede material used. They ash up if not properly taken care of, but I wear my kicks carefully so mine are still looking good and black after many wears.

I don't think that JB tarnished their significance, nor do I think that "they realized they messed up some of the CDP shoes so they re-retrod them again". I simply think that the popular models in these were retrod again in order to gain more money. They released all models, I-XXII, in the CDPs and then began to see the packs get split and sold.. began hearing what people had to say, they saw what shoes people were most hyped for. Like someone said, they were using it to see how certain colorways and models were gonna do if they retrod them singularly and in mass. The CDPs were test dummies to see what we'd bite the hardest on and what the majority of people would salivate over the most. They succeeded.

Last edited:
I ended up getting all but 8/15 which I passed on for 175.

I- love these...descent quality and simple but og colorway.
ii- likes them but sold them due to me having the low from a few years prior and I happened to like that color way better in a low.
III - loved them, wore them 50+ times and sold them earlier this year for 235 after the paint chipped too much for my liking. I have a 2011 pair as a replacement.
IV - never wore them since they were too big....sold them and bought a 2012 pair and had money for lunch.
v -never wore, yellowing on netting pissed me off...sold them before 2013 release and had enough left for lunch again.
VI - great shoe.....yellowing doesn't bother me.
vii- great
ix- have a pair from 2002 I wear so these are DS. How is the paint chipping on them?
X- solid but hurt my feet...sold after multiple wears to work.
xi- cheap....will sell soon
xii- nicely done...underrated quality IMO
xiii- possibly best made of series....great
xiv- descent shoe but lazy colorway....should have done white/black
xvi- better than og
xvii- liked the suede but were too narrow for me.
xviiii- good Retro +
xix- true to og
xx- not only was there no effort in the colorway, but they went with the regional version of the xx instead of the og version
xxi- solid....not much to do with the xxi
xx2- I liked the color way, but it was still a xx2

I had most of the packs. I sold DS carmine 6s and hare 7s for $150 each LOL 
laugh.gif

I needed the money so I let them go for cheap!

it was insulting in retrospect.. seeing them all come back again.. i bought 3/20 , 11/12 at retail, also in 2011 i picked up the 4s(paint also came off midsole with one wipe like someone said) and 6s by themselves and last year was able to get the 5s DS in a trade for my worn oreos. Im ok with most but i dont like that they re-released em all again.

it was insulting in retrospect.. seeing them all come back again.. i bought 3/20 , 11/12 at retail, also in 2011 i picked up the 4s(paint also came off midsole with one wipe like someone said) and 6s by themselves and last year was able to get the 5s DS in a trade for my worn oreos. Im ok with most but i dont like that they re-released em all again.
why not? thats taking a snobbish elitist position....

So quick I meant.. Its only been 5 years and half of 1-14 have come back out again.. made it seem like a waste when they were hyping up the packs as the potential end of the retros..

Last edited:

Can't agree with u ninja. The pack was supposed to be something special or of signicance for year 23.
The fact that it retrod so fast really took away the meaning of it for many including me.

Can't agree with u ninja. The pack was supposed to be something special or of signicance for year 23.
The fact that it retrod so fast really took away the meaning of it for many including me.
i dunno im type old school so i skip da pleasantries of sneaker politics..if nike/JB wanted to give me all da goods in 1 year

and i got da money for it as i did in 2007 who am i to say no? i mean when you look at all da heat that dropped in 2007

it STILL hasn't been matched to this day.

So quick I meant.. Its only been 5 years and half of 1-14 have come back out again.. made it seem like a waste when they were hyping up the packs as the potential end of the retros..
oh nah, if you copped da packs thinkin nike/JB was somehow gonna depend on fusions/hybrids to anchor their brand you had another thing coming..i copped all those

packs to plug holes my collection had, and it proved to be very beneficial.

to keep it funky had it not been for a couple of clunkers (9/14, 1/22, 3/20 4/18 5/19 2/21) they would've been perfect. and should be done more often.

I loved the idea of the CDP pack when first announced. I remember vividly the whirlwind that was Air Jordan Fusions and the humble beginnings of the hypebeast. I only owned 1 pack which was the 5/18 pack and my footlocker sold them to me the day before release. I still to this day wear my CDP 5's which are in great condition and IMO look better than this years retro and I balled all in my 18's (want another pair). Reflecting on this idea it was brilliant that JB did this. Minus quality and sizing issues the concept was a great celebration of the history and was the last moments recently where shoes weren't bought just to be resold and midnight releases were still going strong. Even the 11/12 pack wasn't that big of a hassle to come by. Those were the good ol days....then the next year we got the space jams smh. So sad

Good ole days?

The good ole days ended in about 2001, my friend.

The beginning of the hypebeast in 2008?

This is from 2004, by the way.

View media item 379824

They fooled us all Big J - I was naive and thought it would be worthwhile 'collecting' Jordans. Like Ninja I used the CDPs to fill some holes but I was disappointed with the knockoffs they were hustling as genuine product - the beginning of 'authentic fakes' that they continue to release now.

BIP more or less nailed it with one of his earlier posts - this junk essentially opened up my eyes to JB's gimmicks.

I think JB used this as a test market program. This the only time ever JB re-released EVERY model to the public in a single year. I think Nike wanted to see how people/sellers split packs and follow the aftermarket to see what models will sell the fastest for the highest prices and what models will sit.

Seeing shoes like the IV and VI sell for $400-600 while XVIIs and XIX barely moved for $100 gives JB no incentive to retro newer models that not only cost more to produce but dont sell as well when they can keep pumping out the same 25y/o shoes for double original retail. :smh:

IMO this is why we saw a huge hiatus in 2009 and now this massive influx in retros.

IMO the CDP's were just another way to drum up a signifigance or story to release some shoes and make some dough. The 23's were coming out so what better way to drum up a bit of hype then to release these packs adding up to 23. Really it's no different than the idea of the xx8 days of flight thing this year. It was just made more available to us than those imo and a big money maker. people could be like oh I got all these packs now I need to cop the 23s to complete my collection

Last edited:
I still have most of my CDP expect for the XIV that I sold to my cousin. I actually wear my CPD and keep the newer released pairs on DS. Like Black/Cement IV, Black Cement III, White/Black IX and White/Black XIII. My CDP XI are still in good shape except for the 23 on the right shoe. It's half way peeled off but the rest of the shoe looks fine. I still have the VII/XVI and VI/XVII DS.

Back
Top Bottom