2008 NT Boxing Post Vol. Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao 12/6/08 HBO PPV

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Now I see why they got him on this fast track, they can't afford to take their time with him, 30 yrs of age is rite around the corner.

Honest opinions,
Who in the upper tier of 130 - 135 lbers, do yall see him beating?

Honestly, at 130 i think Marquez is the only one that really handles him, of the 126 pounders that could move up, Jorge Linares would beat him right now,and Chris John would be a significant favorite in my mind. At 135, Manny would probably take him right now, all though style wise that is not too terrible amatchup for Gamboa. I think Nate would be too big and just rough Gamboa to a victory, and Casa might be able to outbox him. Outside of those guys, i wouldmake Gamboa at least a slight favorite over every other fighter from 130-135.

The last few guys Berto has fought havent been knocked out either....
Yeah, but Zab Judah took Cosme out in 3 rounds, and Berto couldn't get it done in 10. Also, the only guy Berto has fought recently whohadn't been stopped before was Trabant. Estrada, Rivera, Bravo, Clay, Figueroa, all those guys had been stoped before Berto got to them. You can look atstuff like that all types of different ways. And as far as the age goes, Gamboa is 26 and Berto is 24 turning 25 in a couple months. They're like a yearand a half apart, not all that different in age.

None of the Cuban kids that defected are on a slow track they all are fighting experienced guys . This is what will happen with Gamboa now he will move hereget a well known trainer hopefully not Buddy Mcgirt . Im thinking either a Joe Goosen or Floyd Sr. and World Class guys getting handled in the gym is nothingnew you think Larry Holmes didnt give Ali hell in there . Or Thomas Hearns didnt get touched up By Bernard Mays , or Pipino Cuevas didnt have ahard time with ateenage Tony Ayala . Or a Teenage Shane Moseley didnt give give the top pros in Cali gyms tough days . It Happens but i would guess that led to the firing ofhis whole team ,He'll be fine . Prince was a bit more akward and off beat than Gamboa but I can see some similar things

I dont really see the Prince Naseem comparison with Gamboa. Prince was unique with a very awkward style and obviously much more refined defensively than Gamboawill ever be. Prince had stones for hands and threw punches from any angle, which made his power that much greater.

In regards to Gamboa, I definitely look forward to watching him more, like most it was only the 2nd time I have seen him live on TV, but for someone with thekind of speed/quickness/athleticism that Gamboa has, it is pretty disconcerting that he got hit that cleanly.

Damn missed the fight then fell asleep before the replay yesterday. Hopefully it's on demand by the time I get home.

Some interesting odds...

Hatton -1100 / Lazcano +600
Malignaggi -1000 / N'dou +550
Williams -170 / Quintana +140
Abraham -220 / Miranda +180
Holt -325 / Torres +250
Cotto -185 / Margarito +155

^^ I know Pro tried to explain the odds when they look like that but can someone explain it to me? It's throwing me off.

Originally Posted by Proshares

^^ I know Pro tried to explain the odds when they look like that but can someone explain it to me? It's throwing me off.

Generally the fighter with the negative sign in front is the favorite though on some rare occasions you might see two positives, not sure I've seen 2negatives. Anyway, you need to wager that negative amount to win $100 while you must wager $100 to win the positive amount.

So is this example: Williams -170 / Quintana +140, Williams is the favorite despite his previous loss. You wouldneed to wager $170 to win $100 compared to Quintana who you would need to wager $100 to win $140.

Originally Posted by Jagshemash

Some interesting odds...

Holt -325 / Torres +250

What does the numbers -185 Cotto mean and Margarito + 155?

Originally Posted by MFr3shM

Some interesting odds...

Holt -325 / Torres +250
What does the numbers -185 Cotto mean and Margarito + 155?

In this case Cotto is the favorite but not by much if you compare it to say, the Hatton fight.

Cotto - bet $185 to win $100, Margarito - bet $100 to win $155.

Ok thanks, but so does that mean that you would have to bet $1100 on Ricky Hatton to get $100?

^^ I guess but that sounds really outlandish to me. Would someone actually bet that much to only win $100 on Hatton?

Originally Posted by MFr3shM

Ok thanks, but so does that mean that you would have to bet $1100 on Ricky Hatton to get $100?

Exactly.

Another example is Mosley -400, Judah +300 prior to the cancellation. A lot of bigger fights look closer to this so this why I highlighted the fights I didsince they seem like good opportunities.

I think Torres +250 is a decent play. Holt is the better fighter, but not by much, and he has a glass jaw. It could very well play out like the last fight,Torres losing on all cards, then catching Holt late and stopping him.

Those Hatton odds are insane. Against some opponents, maybe i'd take -1100, but Lazcano is a tough dude, and who knows how Ricky is gonna be mentally afterheadbutting the turnbuckle. Terrible odds for Hatton, a small play on Lazcano might be necessary just in case it actually comes through.

As for the other lines, i like Cotto -185, i think he is clearly better than Margarito. As much as it pains me to say it, Abraham -220 is pretty good odds aswell. The only reason the first fight was close was because Miranda landed a punch that somehow made Abraham's jaw explode, and it @+#%#$ up Abraham forthe rest of the night. Even with that Abraham was never wobbly or stunned. Abraham has a great chin, and anything short of Miranda exploding his jaw again andactually getting the doctors to stop it, i think this fight is Abraham's for the taking.

I think Torres +250 is a decent play. Holt is the better fighter, but not by much, and he has a glass jaw. It could very well play out like the last fight, Torres losing on all cards, then catching Holt late and stopping him.
Torres won the first fight by decision right?

And I'm hoping Abraham wins, it would make a future fight with Pavlik a lot more interesting.

As for the other lines, i like Cotto -185, i think he is clearly better than Margarito.
I agree, this should be a clear win for Cotto. If I had to put money down it would be for this fight.

I think Torres +250 is a decent play. Holt is the better fighter, but not by much, and he has a glass jaw. It could very well play out like the last fight, Torres losing on all cards, then catching Holt late and stopping him.
Torres won the first fight by decision right?

And I'm hoping Abraham wins, it would make a future fight with Pavlik a lot more interesting.
Torres did win the fight but it was in Colombia and there was alot of controversy surrounding it.

^ Yea and they started throwing stuff at the ring. I couldn't remember if it was that fight they were talking about.

And don't underestimate Margarito
nerd.gif

^ Yea and they started throwing stuff at the ring. I couldn't remember if it was that fight they were talking about.

nerd.gif

Yea, but Torres had Holt down and hurt before *%!* started getting thrown at the ring. The end was definitely controversial, but Torres hurt and droppedHolt without help. Thats why i think Torres is a good play. And Torres did end up winning that fight by "KO".

Just a reminder that Hatton and Malignaggi are fighting on the Versus network tomorrow starting at 3:30 pm EST since I'm sure this would be easy to forgetabout. Also a repeat at 10:00 pm EST.

Just a reminder that Hatton and Malignaggi are fighting on the Versus network tomorrow starting at 3:30 pm EST since I'm sure this would be easy to forget about. Also a repeat at 10:00 pm EST.

Good lookin, I definitely woulda forgot it starts at 12:30(pacific time).

nerd.gif
i dont even !*%$% with cotto like say gunna does
laugh.gif
but he isgoing ot KO margslows wack *!*.

^
laugh.gif
I'll defend Margarito until Cotto drops him. And tomorrow is one more step towards Paulie beating Hatton.

laugh.gif

Thought you guys would enjoy this:

[h4][/h4]
[h4]Quotable[/h4]
box_a_hatton_65.jpg

Hatton

"I would like to have a rematch with Floyd, but it's very easy to say that. I think that the case for me is to re-establish myself, get back to my winning ways, obviously put on a fantastic performance against Juan Lazcano [Saturday]. Then a fight with [Paulie] Malignaggi would be a dream. I can get that fight and win, then I would like to think I will put myself firmly back in a rematch with Floyd." -- Ricky Hatton, on the path he believes he needs to take to earn a rematch against Floyd Mayweather, who knocked him out in a Dec. 8 welterweight championship fight.

Back
Top Bottom