2008 NT Boxing Post Vol. Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao 12/6/08 HBO PPV

laugh.gif
Gunna speaks truth.

It's probably goin' to be Sergio.
eyes.gif
I wouldn't drop $50 onthat. Unless...there's one hell of an undercard and Golden Boy's undercards lately have been non existent.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
De La Pollo dont want no parts of Cotto.

If he caved in off a Hopkins body punch, what you think gonna happen when the best body puncher in the game gets hold of them chicken tender ribs.

sick.gif
ummmmmmmmm hopkins at the time was a better body puncher then cotto is now.

DLH BEATS COTTO.

he may not attack it relentlessly like cotto but it ant like he was poor at doing it. DLH got caught with a prefect shot and durning fights after that peoplehave tired to go to the body VS him and have failed.

[h1]De La Hoya sweepstakes kick off[/h1]
posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 | Print Entry

The most immediate fallout from Floyd Mayweather's sudden retirement on Friday involves Oscar De La Hoya. The Golden Boywas supposed to fight him in a Sept. 20 rematch, but now that's out and De La Hoya is scrambling for a new opponent. Golden Boy Promotions CEORichard Schaefer is working on signing an opponent, despite being laid up with the flu this week. So, while the situation is playing out,let's take a look at the field of fighters in the running in what I believe is the order of likelihood: • Ricky Hatton: It's by farthe biggest money fight of those that are realistic for De La Hoya. It's a cinch hit on HBO PPV, would receive the most mainstream media attention, woulddo massive money in the United Kingdom and would undoubtedly receive HBO's "24/7" treatment (they both starred in "24/7" series lastyear before their fights with Mayweather). And just imagine if Golden Boy Promotions decided to stage it in England. Pay-per-views normally don't takeplace overseas because of the notion that if it's out of the country, it will lose a certain amount of American business. But if the fight was held at aplace like Wembley Stadium, the gate would be so enormous that it could potentially make up for whatever shortfall there might be in American PPV business. Thefight might draw 100,000 people in England, not to mention huge PPV business in both countries. It's a PPV that would easily exceed 1 million buys inAmerica alone. It's also a fairly easy fight to make because Hatton recently signed with Golden Boy. However, there's one hitch: Hatton has a signedcontract to face Paulie Malignaggi in the fall. I called Malignaggi promoter Lou DiBella the other day to ask about thestatus of his contract. He said it's "a signed, ironclad deal." Then I asked whether he and Malignaggi might step aside for the right payout.DiBella's response: "Richard has my number." The point is that De La Hoya-Hatton is a potential $100 million-plus grossing fight. Golden Boysurely could find a few bucks to induce Malignaggi and DiBella to get out of the way of this juggernaut fight. Oh, and by the way, let's set asideHatton's supposed dismissal of the fight as nothing more than a negotiating ploy. • Sergio Mora: The first-season winner of "TheContender" reality series put himself squarely in the sweepstakes with a stunning upset victory against Vernon Forrest on Saturday nightto win a junior middleweight title. The win gave Mora serious credibility. Moreover, he and De La Hoya are both Los Angeles-born and bred and the fight wouldpack the Staples Center. It would give De La Hoya a chance to win yet another belt, which would be the cherry on top of his Hall of Fame-worthy career. Anddon't underestimate this factor: "Contender" promoter Jeff Wald really wants to make the fight and he can be awfully persuasive,not to mention the fact that he and Schaefer have done good business together in the past (like De La Hoya versus Steve Forbes last month) andthey have a very good relationship. Bottom line: If De La Hoya wants the fight, it could be made in five minutes and time is of the essence. What aninteresting promotion it would be. Who in a gazillion years would have thought that "The Contender" winner would enter a fight as a champion and DeLa Hoya, the 10-time champion in six divisions, would in essence be the contender? • Manny Pacquiao: Some will laugh and say this isn't arealistic match because of the size difference. But you know what? They would be wrong. The fight is entirely possible and I am told that it's a fight thatDe La Hoya is interested in. Obviously, Pacquiao would have to beat David Diaz June 28 for a lightweight belt and look good doing it. I'mnot sure De La Hoya wants to wait that long to set his fight, particularly because it's no lock that Pacquiao beats Diaz. But the Pacquiao side would takethe fight in a heartbeat. Back in October, when I first wrote a blog detailing my conversation with HBO's Larry Merchant, who conceivedthe fight, I called Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank for his thoughts on Merchant's fantasy. Here's what he said back then:"We'll take it. I don't even have to call Manny. I am sure he would accept the challenge without question." I asked Arum about it again lastweekend when I was with him in Atlantic City covering Kelly Pavlik's fight. Again, Arum said they'd be interested. He and Pacquiaoknow it's a huge money fight. If it happened and Pacquiao lost, he could easily retreat to the lightweight division and go about his business. Let'snot forget about a couple of interesting subplots: De La Hoya would be going against his former trainer, Freddie Roach. And who can forgetthat De La Hoya once signed Pacquiao with a briefcase of cash in the backseat of a limo at LAX in the move that led to all-out war between Top Rank and GoldenBoy. I say if this fight does happen, the winner's purse should be paid in cash in a briefcase in the ring after the match. • FelixTrinidad: It is the one fight De La Hoya has always said he wants more than any other. He threw away their 1999 mega fight when he ran for the finalthree rounds, believing he had the fight in the bag. To a degree, fairly or unfairly, those last three rounds define De La Hoya's career to some and hewould love a chance to set the record straight. They've talked about a rematch seemingly forever, but it's a long shot for two reasons: 1.Trinidad andpromoter Don King have always insisted on a 60-40 split of revenue in their favor -- a flip of the terms they gave De La Hoya for the firstfight. They have always stubbornly insisted that because they won the first fight, they should have the favorable terms in a rematch. De La Hoya will never,ever take the short end of the stick in any fight, nor should he. 2. Weight. Trinidad could never come down to 154, or even 160. He struggled to make 170 forhis January loss to Roy Jones. Maybe, just maybe, he'd be willing to make 168 or even 165. De La Hoya would be at a massive disadvantageif he went up that high. Remember how awful he looked at 160 pounds? De La Hoya should not fight above junior middleweight and he knows it. This fight is ahuge long shot. • The winner of Miguel Cotto-Antonio Margarito: Competitively and actionwise it's the best of the bunch,but it's not realistic, and it's not because De La Hoya is looking to duck anyone. Cotto and Margarito square off in the summer's most anticipatedfight July 26. The turnaround to Sept. 20 is simply too short of a window for the winner to adequately recover from what will undoubtedly be a grueling fightand then train for Sept. 20. And don't forget that any big PPV fight typically needs 90 days to properly promote it. There's just not enough time forthis one to happen in September, although if De La Hoya moved his fight to a later date it could be more realistic. • Shane Mosley: Mosleyowns two wins over De La Hoya, one clear decision and a controversial decision in the rematch. Although both men are highly competitive and would give theirall in the ring against each other, it's simply not a credible fight given their business and personal relationship. Their friendship has grown over theyears and Mosley is De La Hoya's business partner as a part-owner of Golden Boy Promotions. I also get the feeling that they don't really want to fighteach other again. I also don't think either wants to deal with the tremendous amount of negative publicity that would be generated by stories aboutMosley's admitted steroid use (he says it was done unknowingly) before the second fight. Forget about this one. • Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.:De La Hoya beat Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., the Mexican icon, twice. Fighting his son would be the biggest revenge match you could possibly make.But it's just not ripe yet. Chavez Jr. has virtually no recognition among non-Hispanic fans and has not faced a single credible opponent to warrant a fightwith De La Hoya. This one is a nonstarter for September, but I could definitely see De La Hoya wrapping up his career next May against Chavez Jr. on Cinco DeMayo weekend. It would be a gargantuan fight. Arum, who promotes Chavez Jr. and promoted De La Hoya for most of his career, loves the idea and insisted to methat Chavez Jr. would knock De La Hoya out. Let's not get carried away, Bob! That said, I'd like to see this fight before De La Hoya retires. It'sjust not going to happen in September.

Floyd Mayweather's Retirement: Smart Move and Why Part II

11.06.08 - By Yero Moody: In part 1 of this article I believe I gave a clear overview of the possible reasons why Floyd Mayweather, Jr chose to retire. However, in hindsight I offer to you a third and very real possibility.

The major reason given by his detractors is that Mayweather wants to avoid a showdown with the winner of the Miguel Cotto vs. Antonio Margarito showdown in July. That is ridiculous because as we all know he was due for a big payday in September for the rematch with Oscar De La Hoya. Why not collect another $20+ million, ride off into the sunset, and still avoid fighting the winner of Cotto vs. Margarito? Common sense dictates that that is not the case. "Money" Mayweather is not turning down that kind of money!

Another reason that was brought up was that he wanted to protect his undefeated record. To that, my response is; why not collect another $20+ million by defeating a man you've already beaten (De La Hoya) and then retire undefeated? Or, give Ricky Hatton the rematch he's been asking for? Defeat him again, collect another $10-15 million, and then retire undefeated. Again, common sense dictates that that possiblity is equally ridiculous.

Detractors have brought up is that Mayweather is retiring because he wants to avoid facing the best opponents possible. This is laughable and absolutely false! For anyone who is an avid follower of boxing knows that Mayweather has pursued fights with the best in every division he's been at. Fighters like Acelino Freitas, Joel Casamayor and Kostya Tsyzu all targeted and all turned down offers from Bob Arum. Now that Mayweather and Arum have parted ways all you hear is negative publicity from Arum. It was Arum who turned down an offer from Mayweather to fight Miguel Cotto right after Mayweather defeated Aturro Gatti. Arum stated that "Cotto needed another 12-18 months before he'd be ready for Mayweather." Mayweather also went after Shane Mosley before fighting Oscar De La Hoya and he turned down the offer.

The one fighter that is consistently being brought up as an opponent that Mayweather is "scared" of and has been avoiding is Antonio Margarito. An offer of $8 million was reportedly given to Mayweather to fight Margarito and Mayweather said no. However, Mayweather is not the only fighter who said no. De La Hoya and Shane Mosley were also reported to have said no to Margarito. Were they "scared" as well? NO, Allow me to quote De La Hoya, "Margarito has to win the big fights and earn his right to fight the best. So far he has not done enough to warrant the big fights he is pursuing. Just like Mayweather had to earn his right to fight the best and I'm not sure that even Mayweather has done enough yet to deserve a shot at me." Margarito was also accused of avoiding Paul Williams for a long time. When he finally did fight Williams, although he lost and the decision of Mayweather to not fight Margarito at the time was based on Margarito not being a draw and not fear. Margarito as of this date is yet to win a fight against a big named opponent although he had his shot against Williams. Margarito has the opportunity again when he faces Miguel Cotto in July.

#3 Mayweather is waiting to see who wins the Cotto vs Margarito clash and believes that Cotto will win. De La Hoya will probabaly take on the winner of that fight. Oscar has indicated an interest in fighting Cotto. If Cotto beats Oscar this would set up a megafight between Mayweather and Cotto in 2009! As I said in part 1, I don't believe Mayweather is done with boxing. His ego is too big, he loves money too much, and deep down he wants to be regarded as the best. He won't be able to retire peacefully knowing that there are doubts about his legacy. He will indeed fight Cotto should he prevail against Margarito and possibly De La Hoya as well.

I have heard Mosley turn down an offer to fight Margarito but i have never heard Mosley turn down a fight vs Mayweather.
Oscar: One more fight!

Wednesday, June 11 2008

Photo: Tom Hogan/Golden Boy Promotions

Oscar De La Hoya says he's no longer planning to have two more fights before retiring. "One more and that's it," the Golden Boy told Reuters. "This is my final year. I'm doing one fight and hanging up the gloves."

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NEWS FLASH
Berto-Rodriguez for Floyd's belt!
By JD Meredith, Memphisboxing.Com
The FedExForum, on Historic Beale Street, will play host to HBO's "Boxing After Dark," Saturday June 21. Fight fans in the city of Memphis welcome DiBella Entertainment and HBO back to the Bluff City while we applaud Prize Fight Boxing for bringing championship boxing back to West Tennessee.A vacant WBC welterweight title will be waiting to be claimed on June 21 and the show is boiling over with rising talent and undefeated prospects that we will watch for years to come. Meeting in the twelve round main event are two welterweight fighters on the hunt for their first mainstream titles. Undefeated 2004 Olympian & WBC #1 Contender Andre Berto (21-0, 18KO's) is pitted against WBC #2, Miguel Angel Rodriguez (29-2, 23KO's) in a welterweight clash for the vacant WBC title. (More)
[/font]
http://www.memphisboxing.com/BAD_CARD_Berto.html

Felix Trinidad: those last three rounds define De La Hoya's career to me... IMO it's ALL down-hill from there.

DLH's career gets ENDED by Cotto. He don't want Margarito either. I would like to see any of those fights though, they're mostly Golden Boy Ls.

My feeling exactly r4l. I'm looking for that Berto June 21 too.

Calzaghe rejects Pavlik fight!

Friday, June 13 2008

The proposed October 18 superfight between WBC/WBA/WBO super middleweight champ Joe Calzaghe and WBC/WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik appears to be off. "I think it's unlikely," Calzaghe told the South Wales Argus. "I'm not sure if Pavlik really wants to face me at the moment. He would have little to gain because I believe I would definitely beat him and, with respect to Gary Lockett, I would be a step-up too far for Pavlik." Calzaghe called a clash with Roy Jones Jr. "the right fight for me at the moment."

i would like to see Roy Jones vs Calzaghe
"Sugar" Shane Mosley To Fight October 11th - Possibly Against Sergio Mora?

Though Vernon Forrest, who was shockingly out-pointed by Mora on June 7th, is reportedly dead set on enforcing the rematch clause he had going into his fight with Mora and therefore attempting to extract his revenge asap, the word is it will be Mosley who gets the next crack at the former Contender T.V star.http://

The fight makes sense for Mosley, (Mosley will more than likely be made the betting favorite going into a fight with Mora), the 36-year-old would probably snap up the chance to fight "The Latin Snake" in a heartbeat. Mosley - even at age 36 - beats Mora. No disrespect intended towards the unbeaten 27-year-old, this is simply telling it like it is. "Sugar" Shane is one of the finest pound-for-pound fighters of the last ten years or so. And unless he gone way back since his loss to Cotto, he will not lose to someone like Sergio Mora.

If Vernon Forrest gets his way, it will be he who next fights Mora, and not Mosley. But something tells me, when everything is sorted out, it will be Shane Mosley who winds up challenging for the WBC 154 pound championship in October. Which fight would you rather see?

I didn't get to see Sergio Mora fight but i did see him fight in the "Contender" but i don't think Shane should be fighting at154 he should stay at 147 Welterweight but if that's the only fight available then he should go for it i think Shane wins easy.

Now, it's one and done for Oscar De La Hoya. The former six-division titleholder has amended his exit strategy from a three-fight plan to a two-bout planin the wake of Floyd Mayweather's unexpected retirement last week. Initially, De La Hoya, who easily outpointed Steve Forbes May 3, planned to meetMayweather Sept. 20 in a rematch of boxing richest fight before following it up, win or lose, with a career finale in December. With Mayweather walking away,De La Hoya said he's decided to pass on a September fight and end his career with an HBO PPV fight in Las Vegas or his hometown of Los Angeles on Dec. 6 ,which could come against welterweight titleholder Miguel Cotto if he is successful in a July 26 fight against Antonio Margarito. De La Hoya said he thoughtabout such opponents as Ricky Hatton, Sergio Mora, Manny Pacquiao, Felix Trinidad and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Cotto figures to be the most difficult opponent hecould pick in Mayweather's absence, as well as the opponent who can help him finish his career with the most commercial success. De La Hoya is dead seriousabout a potential fight with Cotto, who is from Puerto Rico, where De Le Hoya now lives. "I've always fought the best," De La Hoya told ESPN.comThursday in the midst of his national book tour to promote his autobiography, "American Son." "Who do people consider the best? Floyd retired.He wouldn't fight Miguel Cotto," De La Hoya said. "I would fight him. People see him as one of the best. I know he has a tough fight ahead ofhim, but I strongly feel he is too fast for Margarito. I see Cotto winning this fight." Later Thursday, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer and Top Rankpresident Todd duBoef exchanged emails expressing a desire to open negotiations for the fight. "I will discuss with [Top Rank] the possibility to puttogether a fight with Oscar and Cotto," Schaefer said.
box_a_mosley_cotto_300.jpg

AP Photo/Brennan Linsley

This one's for the fans: If De La Hoya, center, has his way, his last fight will come against Miguel Cotto, left, in December.
Whomever De La Hoya meets, he said it will be his last fight. Period. He said he has never wanted to be the stereotypical boxer who retires multipletimes. "There are no thoughts whatsoever about fighting again after 2008," De La Hoya said. "I've given Richard the marching orders. I haveprepared everybody. This is it. This is my last year in the ring. There's no dinero that will bring me back, no amount of moolah." De La Hoya said hehad no ill will toward Mayweather for messing up his schedule. "I was actually surprised, but if he is retired, then I wish him all the best," saidDe La Hoya, who dropped a split decision to him 13 months ago. "You hear about these sad cases where fighters retire at an early age and when they'renot prepared to retire, and they come back. Hopefully, he can be one who, when he retires, he means it. It was unfortunate we had a big fight scheduled.It's disappointing, but I'll move on. "So I'm going to do one more fight and call it a day. I'm not losing sleep over Mayweather. I waslooking forward to fighting twice more, but I guess it will be one time, and I will still go out with a big bang. I'm gonna pick the toughest opponent outthere. Obviously, it has to mean something, it has to be an event and it has to motivate me." While De La Hoya leaves the Cotto negotiations to Schaefer,he's on the road for a national book tour to promote "American Son," which came out this week. Written with Los Angeles Times sportswriter SteveSpringer, De La Hoya said he's enjoyed meeting fans on the tour. "It's fun because I missed interacting with the fans," he said. "Thefans that are coming to the book signings have been awesome. I have never signed as much in my life." De La Hoya said the book offers insight into hispersonal and professional life, from his rise from the East Los Angeles barrio to the 1992 Olympic gold medal and pro stardom. He details the painful passingof his mother from cancer before the Olympics, talks about his family, having children out of wedlock, how he deals with his financial success and how he dealtwith a gambling problem. Of course, he also covers his most important fights in detail. "I enjoyed the process of writing this book," he said."I enjoyed telling the stories and telling the truth about my life and career. You will read the ups and downs. There are fun moments, serious moments,the passing of my mother. It's fun for me to able to send a positive message. "I wanted to explain to people that I have been down many times in mylife and got up to fight even harder. With immigration, with the economy, with gas prices, a lot of people have been knocked down. Hopefully, my story can beinspiration and hope for that person trying to capture the American dream

Fight better be in LA. cause im there front row with a "gunna yo boy cotto got KNOCK THE +*#! OUT" sign
pimp.gif

mosley VS mora would proably be out here IMO cause i see no one in vegas going to that fight.

Calzghe is going to retire jones with the beat down he gives him if they fight.

this boxing post is a breath of fresh air after reading all about my Laker's collapse against Boston
laugh.gif
tired.gif
. Boxing is therapy for me
pimp.gif
A good fight or reading aboutpossible match ups always cheers me up!

Anyway, I would have like Pavlik to fight Calzhage. I don't think Joe can hurt Kelly with his pitty-pat punches.

... also, i don't like De La Hoya and I'm a Cotto fan... but i think with his length, power, and experience, he has a chance to beat Cotto. But ifOscar doesn't jab, then he's toast... he's got a great jab, why does he abandon it?? we all know DLH can be hurt in the liver.. which isMiguel's bread and butter.

Word is Calzaghe has turned down Pavlik but it looks like Campbel-Guzman is a go and so is Casamayor-Marquez

Bouts announced by Golden Boy...

• Former lightweight titleholder Juan Diaz will face Australia's Michael Katsidis in a battle of brawlers on HBO's "Boxing After Dark" at the Toyota Center in Diaz's hometown of Houston on Sept. 6.

With both coming off losses, it's something of a must-win fight for each. Diaz lost his belts to Nate Campbell on March 8. Katsidis was stopped in the 10th round in a challenge to Ring magazine champion Joel Casamayor on March 22.

Schaefer said the undercard could include junior lightweight titleholder Edwin Valero, who defended his belt Thursday in Japan. Although Valero had been medically banned in the U.S. for the past few years because of an old head injury, he was licensed in Texas a few months ago. Another possibility for the undercard is Houston's Rocky Juarez, a former junior lightweight title challenger and 2000 U.S. Olympic silver medalist.

• On Sept. 13 (HBO PPV) at Las Vegas' MGM Grand, Casamayor will defend the Ring lightweight championship against former junior lightweight champ Juan Manuel Marquez.

"We will put together a very solid card which will pay tribute to the Mexican Independence Day weekend," Schaefer said.

He added that fighters such as featherweight titleholder Chris John, former junior lightweight titlist Jorge Barrios and ex-lightweight beltholder Jesus Chavez could be on the card.

"We'll put together a dynamic card," he said.

• Shane Mosley, the former three-division champion, will return Oct. 11 on HBO PPV from the Staples Center in Los Angeles. Schaefer and Tournament of Contenders promoter Jeff Wald are working to finalize a fight between Mosley and newly crowned junior middleweight titleholder Sergio Mora.

Mora, the winner of the first season of "The Contender" reality series, became the first graduate of the series to go on to win a title when he upset Vernon Forrest last Saturday. There was rematch language in the Mora-Forrest contract, which could impede the bout. So too could Mora's mandatory obligation to fight Sergio Martinez.

But if it happens, it would be big for Los Angeles, where both fighters are from. It would also mean Mosley returning to the junior middleweight division. He hasn't fought in the 154-pound division since back-to-back TKO wins against Fernando Vargas in 2006.

• Cruiserweight champion David Haye of England, who recently signed with Golden Boy, will officially move up to heavyweight and fight a "top-10 ranked opponent," according to Schaefer, on Nov. 29 at London's O2 Arena.

nerd.gif
The Baby Bull returns. That fight is going to be somethingexcellent...

Casa really should've fought Campbell, but i'd assume that JMM brings in the most money for Casa. Still should be a great fight. JMM wastin' notime chasing Pac-Man at 135 (CoughWhomHeAlreadyBeatTwiceCough). So what's next for Campbell? Guzman, maybe?

I'm sorry but I have no interest in Mosley/Mora...much less throwin' down $50 to see it on PPV.

The Heavyweight division has to be horrible. Haye is already ranked #5 by the WBC and he hasn't even had a fight yet.
laugh.gif

Diaz vs Katsidis would be an interesting match cant pick a winner

Casamayor vs JMM is another great match up

Mosley vs Mora is a bad matchup i say Mosley wins but Mosley should stick to fighting at Welterweight he wants a rematch with Cotto.

Calzghe is going to retire jones with the beat down he gives him if they fight

Roy can sleepwalk thru that Fight and win
laugh.gif
. Calzaghe aint got enought power to hit that glass Jaw Roy been totin around
and Roy will out quick him.
This is the first time since Montell Griffin II that I'll be looking forward to a RJJ fight.

How Long before Nate holds every title at that weight limit
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
Yesssuh!

and Amo, Can we please get a BERTO B.A.D THREAD TITLE for our thread
laugh.gif

PS. String, No Berto Avys Allowed

Another heads up...

Abraham-Miranda 1 is airing on Showtime, Monday at 10:00 pm. I think this is the first time the fight has been shown on US television.

• Shane Mosley, the former three-division champion, will return Oct. 11 on HBO PPV from the Staples Center in Los Angeles. Schaefer and Tournament of Contenders promoter Jeff Wald are working to finalize a fight between Mosley and newly crowned junior middleweight titleholder Sergio Mora.
may hit this one up. ticket prices better not be out of hand. cause i ant paying big bucks for crap

In the end, Sergio Mora's contractual obligations were too much to overcome, leading Shane Mosley to turn to Plan B: Ricardo Mayorga.

The Mora-Mosley negotiations fell apart Friday night, leading Mosley-Mayorga to gain steam over the weekend, and it was close to being set for Oct. 11 (HBOPPV) at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer and Mosley's wife and adviser, Jin Mosley, told ESPN.com.

"That is what it looks like we will do," Schaefer said. "I am working on it with [Mayorga promoter] Don King."

After Mora -- the first-season winner of "The Contender" -- pulled a major upset by dethroning junior middleweight titleholder Vernon Forrest onJune 7, his camp moved quickly to set up his initial defense against fellow Los Angeles native Mosley, a former three-division champion.

However, the proposed fight disintegrated Friday under the weight of Mora's contractual obligations.

In addition to Mora's contract with Forrest containing rematch language -- although it was vague enough that his camp didn't believe the sequel hadto be immediate -- he also owes a mandatory defense to Sergio Martinez, who had already stepped aside once to allow Mora-Forrest to take place. Now, Forrestwants his rematch and Martinez wants his shot.

It is unclear who Mora will face first, but the WBC ordered Mora and Martinez last week to begin negotiating a deal. If they can't reach an agreement, aJuly 25 purse bid will be ordered, the WBC said. There is a possibility that Forrest could force Mora to give up his belt and fight him in an immediaterematch.

The drama left Schaefer and the Mosleys with little choice but to look for a new opponent, and they've settled on Mayorga, who, like Mosley, is a formerwelterweight and junior middleweight titleholder.

Before Mosley signed to face former undisputed champ Zab Judah on May 31, a fight canceled because of an injury to Judah, there had been talk ofMosley-Mayorga. Now, the junior middleweight fight is close to reality.

"This is a fight that we tried to make instead of Judah," Jin Mosley told ESPN.com. "Things happen for a reason. Don King is a legend and wealways wanted an opportunity to work with him. Mayorga is one of my favorite fighters to watch, so it is a great matchup and will be an exciting night. We arehoping that this will be Shane's next bout."

Carl King, Mayorga's manager, told ESPN.com on Sunday night: "We are talking. We're ready, willing and able. This is the fight we want.It's a fight we've been wanting for five years. Shane is one of the most decent guys in the sport. He's always been a class act. I think it's agood fight for both guys. It's a better fight for Ricardo than some of the other fights out there for him."

Mosley (44-5, 37 KOs) and Mayorga (28-6-1, 22 KOs) have several common opponents, including Oscar De La Hoya, Fernando Vargas and Forrest.

Mayorga owns two wins against Forrest and is coming off a win against Vargas last fall. But in the fight before he defeated Vargas, Mayorga was knocked outby De La Hoya. Mosley defeated De La Hoya twice, knocked out Vargas twice in 2006 and lost two decisions to Forrest in 2002.

Mosley-Mayorga, should it be signed, will give Mosley a chance to fight again at Staples Center, site of his biggest victory, a 2000 decision against De LaHoya to win the welterweight championship. It would also be Mosley's first fight since losing a close decision to welterweight beltholder Miguel Cotto onOct. 10, 2007.

Mora's camp was disappointed that the fight with Mosley fell apart.

"I think it's silly, with all due respect to Vernon, that we would have an immediate rematch," Tournament of Contenders promoter Jeff Waldtold ESPN.com. "Why do it immediately? I think a fight with Vernon is not a compelling fight right now after the way the first fight went. If Sergio beatMosley, it would be more compelling because Vernon beat Shane twice. I would like to make it a bigger event than it would be right now."

Mora headlined at the Staples Center in an October 2005 rematch of "The Contender" first-season finale by again outpointing Peter Manfredo Jr.Wald said Mora was looking forward to another big fight in his hometown.

"It would have been a pleasure for him to fight in his hometown again," Wald said. "It would have been a great opportunity and a great fight.I love doing business with Golden Boy and Richard Schaefer. It's a huge disappointment for all of us at 'The Contender' and for Sergio. He'svery disappointed on every level. But it was never our intention not to honor our rematch clause. I wanted to build the rematch into where it was meaningful interms of business."

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.

Back
Top Bottom