[::2009 Champion LAKERS OFF-SEASON THREAD Vol. Boring Non-News Days Causing In-Thread Tension::]

The LAKERS should try and make a move or two...IMO

Nothing MAJOR just a tweak maybe...

Although we got the CHIP that doesnt mean the same team can do it again next year...

[h2]Bryant: 'I'm not going anywhere'[/h2]

Comment Email Print ESPN.com news services

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Kobe Bryant said he plans to stay with the NBA championLos Angeles Lakers even if he opts out of his contract this summer. Phil Jackson said his healthwill dictate whether he returns as coach.

110.jpg

Bryant

Bryant met with Jackson and general manager Mitch Kupchak for an individual exit interview Friday.

The finals MVP can terminate the last two years of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. He's spent his entire 13-year careerwith the Lakers, winning four NBA championships. But he could get a new, longer deal if he opted out, but he wouldn't necessarily make more money..

Asked by reporters if he would opt out, Bryant said, "I've been deflecting that all year and I ain't going to stop now."

Pressed to explain, he responded, "I'm not going anywhere. I know I ain't going nowhere, so it's just a waste of our breaths just talkingabout it."

Bryant turns 31 in August. He averaged 32.4 points, 7.4 assists and 5.6 rebounds during the finals, when the Lakers defeated the Orlando Magic in five games.

Kupchak met with reporters before Bryant did and said, "We have no indication of what he may or may not do."
"
I'm not going anywhere. I know I ain't going nowhere, so it's just a waste of our breaths just talking about it.
" -- Lakers guard Kobe Bryant

Jackson, who turns 64 in September, said he'll decide about next season after he gets some health issues checked out.

This season, he missed two West Coast road games because of pain and swelling in his lower legs caused by plantar fasciitis, an issue "that concernedme a little bit," he said. He blamed late-night flights that aggravated the condition.

He has undergone two hip replacement operations since October 2006 -- using a cane at various times -- and walks with a noticeable hitch in his step.

"I'm feeling good," said Jackson, who targeted July as deadline for a decision during his appearance on the "Tonight Show" Fridaynight, the same show Bryant visited two days earlier.

Jackson signed a two-year contract extension last season and holds the option on a second year. The contract contains a date by which he is required to tellthe Lakers of his intention to return, but Kupchak said the team is willing to give Jackson the time he needs to see a doctor.

"That date is fast approaching next week," Kupchak said. "We're talking about hopefully getting him to indicate to us in the next week ortwo or three his decision."

Bryant wants Lakers management and owner Jerry Buss to bring back starter Trevor Ariza and sixth man Lamar Odom, who both become unrestricted free agents onJuly 1.

"Extremely critical," he said about bringing both players back. "Those are pieces that are tough to find. We have such a great team. It'srare that you find a collection of guys that are so talented and willing to sacrifice themselves for the benefit of the group.

"Now it's just about keeping this group together so we can keep on winning this thing."

Jackson also wants to see the team remain intact, including Ariza and Odom.

"I'm convinced that we can get both of these guys back," he said. "Obviously, it's going to take sacrifice on many parts."

Bryant's exit interview wrapped up a hectic week in which he led the Lakers to their 15th NBA title, made the cover of Sports Illustrated, hit thetalk-show circuit and visited Disneyland.

His daughters, ages 6 and 3, who called him Grumpy because he frowned so much during the playoffs, are happy he's home again.

"They just want me around all the time. They're jumping on my back," he said.

Bryant's offseason plans include a trip to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, trying scuba diving, and attending a game between his favorite soccer team FCBarcelona and the Los Angeles Galaxy on Aug. 1.

"It's going to be very relaxing. No evil flashbacks," he said, referring to last season's loss to Boston in the finals.

laugh.gif
Like he was going anywhere, pretty sure he'll have #8 and #24retired on one jersey @ Staples

New Lakers Wallpaper

http://www.nba.com/lakers/multimedia/wallpapers.html

[table][tr][td]
KOBE BRYANT FINALS MVP
09_finals_wallpaper_mvp_thumb.gif

Regular: 1024x768 | 1280x1024
Widescreen: 1440x900 | 1920x1200
[/td] [td]
NBA CHAMPIONS PORTRAIT
09_finals_wallpaper_trophy2_thumb.gif

[/td] [td]
LARRY O'BRIEN THROPHY
09_finals_wallpaper_trophy1_thumb.gif

[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]
CHAMPIONSHIP CELEBRATION 2
09_finals_wallpaper_celebration3_thumb.gif

[/td] [td]
CHAMPIONSHIP CELEBRATION
09_finals_wallpaper_celebration2_thumb.gif

[/td] [td]
2009 NBA CHAMPIONS
09_finals_wallpaper_celebration1_thumb.gif

[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]
FINALS GAME 5
09poD5_wallpaper_thumb.gif

[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by goukiteg

Championship teams usually get a ring veteran ring chaser the following year. I wonder who's going to be ours next year?

If the Lakers can't re-sign Lamar, Antonio McDyess please.

I hope the contracts work out like this:
Trevor 5 years-$35M and Lamar 3 years-$27M. Sadly, I see Shannon leaving
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Championship teams usually get a ring veteran ring chaser the following year. I wonder who's going to be ours next year?

ohwell.gif
I doubt that Lamar would stay knowing Ariza is getting more money than him. I really dont see Kobe taking a pay-cut and I dont see Lamar staying.

Hhaha watching the replay of the parade for like 5th time and I finally saw the Gasol look-a-like.

Anybody got pics of Kobe in the 1s?

Originally Posted by travman24

Hhaha watching the replay of the parade for like 5th time and I finally saw the Gasol look-a-like.

word did you tivo it? i herd i was on channel 9 but i haven't seen it
pimp.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by 23MCpizzle23

Originally Posted by travman24

word did you tivo it? i herd i was on channel 9 but i haven't seen it
pimp.gif
nerd.gif

They've been replaying it on Fox Sports West.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

ohwell.gif
laugh.gif
If we resign both of them for contracts that smallI'll go and start another parade myself. I think they both love LA but I don't see them signing for that small.

Where else are they going to get that much money?

Portland? I don't know that Ariza has shown enough to command much more than the MLE. Odom probably wants no part of the MLE and he's too old (andinconsistent to get interest from the teams with cap space.

What I want to know is what happens if Bynum is healthy and returns to form? Will there be enough minutes to go around for Pau, Bynum, Ariza, and Odom? Do theymassage egos and cut everyones minutes (if they're winning) in an effort to keep Odom and Pau rested for the playoffs? It'll be a great problem tohave. I'll have to look at the boxscores from the beginning of the season to see how the minutes were being split up.

^
Early on the minutes were low for everybody really. Remember Odom was unhappy because he couldn't get into a rythym? Plus we had Vlad back then and Arizawasn't even starting.

Things really came together once Vlad left and then Walton gave up the starting spot, and Odom got to play Bynum's minutes.

Next season if everyone were to stay healthy, I think Fisher's, Kobe's and Pau's minutes would be down, Drew, Farmar, Ariza, and Sasha's go up,Odom somewhere in between. Not quite starters minutes, but more then the normal bench guy outside of Ginobili.

And yes, Portland has talked about Ariza and/or Odom. Point is to not only improve themselves, but weaken us. I'm banking on them overvaluing their ownplayers as usual and not signing anybody too big.

Back
Top Bottom