2010 NBA Trade Deadline thread

How much is Boston over the luxury tax? If they're not, does that mean they can sign a star free agent with Ray Allen coming off the books this off-season?

Originally Posted by Div1LBC

How much is Boston over the luxury tax? If they're not, does that mean they can sign a star free agent with Ray Allen coming off the books this off-season?
63 Million in salaries NOT counting guys like Ray, Scal, House, Tony Aleen, Quis, who are all UFA's after this year I believe.

PP, KG, Rondo, Perk, and Sheed take up almost 60m between those 5 guys. Throw in Glen Davis and it's over 60m. PP could opt out and take less money, whether he would, I don't think so.

LeBron James was asked if he believes Cleveland needs to acquire a 'stretch 4' before the trade deadline. Many have reported that LeBron has lobbied for Antawn Jamison.

"I never said we needed one," James said. "I think our team is built to win a championship, and with the group of guys we have here, if we continue to get better we're headed in the right direction."

"So I haven't really thought about the trade deadline or what guys are on the board or whatever, so we'll continue to play the way we know how to play," James said.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...d_a_stretch_4/
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64648/20100212/lebron_doesnt_think_cavs_need_a_stretch_4/

Originally Posted by Proshares

[h2]
[h2]Talks heat up, Rip to the Cavs?[/h2]
10:11AM ET

[h5]Richard Hamilton | Pistons [/h5]

It's old news that the Cavaliers have spoken to the Wizards about Antawn Jamison and the Pacers about Troy Murphy. A new name has come up as trade talks heat up.

According to The Plain Dealer, Cleveland has also had discussions with Houston, probably regarding Tracy McGrady, and Detroit. The newspaper speculates the talks with the Pistons could involve Richard "Rip" Hamilton.

The Pistons would jump at a chance to unload Hamilton, since the shooting guard has three-years and about $34 million left on his contract.

http:// 
[/h2]

This could give the Cavs a chance to get back to the Finals...i would not wear this jersey tho,sorry cuz lol

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

LeBron James was asked if he believes Cleveland needs to acquire a 'stretch 4' before the trade deadline. Many have reported that LeBron has lobbied for Antawn Jamison.

"I never said we needed one," James said. "I think our team is built to win a championship, and with the group of guys we have here, if we continue to get better we're headed in the right direction."

"So I haven't really thought about the trade deadline or what guys are on the board or whatever, so we'll continue to play the way we know how to play," James said.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...d_a_stretch_4/
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64648/20100212/lebron_doesnt_think_cavs_need_a_stretch_4/

which doesnt make sense. why the %#** cant cavs management see that??? they come off so desperate as to wanting to make a move.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Rip Hamilton would help the cavs?

I guess...

if anyone says he wouldnt then they are idiots. If Cavs get Rip, they will automatically be in the Finals IMO, DEAD SERIOUS.

He wouldn't...well, maybe a tiny bit.

Can't shoot the 3 ball, can't get his own shot.

Pointless.

Originally Posted by Billy Hoyle

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Rip Hamilton would help the cavs?

I guess...

if anyone says he wouldnt then they are idiots. If Cavs get Rip, they will automatically be in the Finals IMO, DEAD SERIOUS.

Care to explain that?

Rip would be more of the same for Cleveland.. If they just want to do something, it needs to be a guy with a different skill set...

Another guy that'll do nothing but play off LeBron offensively isn't the answer...

On Knicks' Radar: McGrady, Thomas, PGs

spacer.gif

Posted: 2/12/2010 5:24:00 AM
Source: Frank Isola of the New York Daily News

(Donnie) Walsh, the Knicks' president, is actively looking to upgrade the club before Thursday's trade deadline and Houston's Tracy McGrady remains his primary target. The Knicks are also interested in Chicago forward Tyrus Thomas and just about any point guard out there.

"There are no deals imminent," Walsh said Thursday. "We're seeing what's out there and if anything makes sense for us."

Yes.....Duhon.... That's how bad you are

The numbers he's putting up with Detroit don't mean %$%#.

1. If they get him he's gonna get easy open looks, unlike with Detroit team.

2. They'll get him for cheap (talent wise). I'm hearing all they need is a Wally S&T and maybe a throw-in.

Of course his contract is exactly appeasing. But if it helps get them over the top, +%%! it.
laugh.gif

I wouldn't trade Hickson for Jamison. Something about it I just don't like.

Iggy and Brand/Amare/West/Boozer (lol) of course. Definitely give him up for those. But Jamison I just don't see it. Troy Murphy either.

If Boston gets Butler and Jamison.........................
smh.gif

[h1]Trade Deadline Fantasia[/h1]
By: Matthew Gordon
RealGM.com Writer

February 11, 2010 12:27 PM

As the 2010 trade deadline draws nearer, almost every team is beingmentioned in rumors with increasing frequency. Most likely, very few ofthe rumors will come to fruition; of those, even fewer will be of theblockbuster variety. While some years have seen stars like Ray Allen and Rasheed Wallace dealt, to varying levels of impact, others have seen barely more than a swap of second-round picks.

It’s not as though general managers aren’t trying fervently toupgrade their rosters. They often field multiple calls per day and evenper hour, posing offer after counteroffer, sometimes laughing aninferior trade proposal off the phone.

All this in mind, whether they’ll happen or not (and most of themwon’t), there are numerous scenarios that could help each side. Five ofour RealGM writers have submitted proposals that, unlike the onescoming from the mouths of NBA GMs, have both teams in mind.

Matthew Gordon: Smith for Hamilton

Denver currently sits second in the Western Conference with a highly talented team that is still short of the Lakers. Richard Hamilton would work wonders for the Nuggets, as he is a proven scoring threat who could be the team’s first option until Carmelo Anthonyfully returns from injury. He’s also an additional ball-handler andpasser (5.2 assists per game), which allows the Nuggets to utilize Chauncey Billups’soff-ball shooting skills more effectively. Hamilton knows Billupsextremely well from their time together in Detroit, so the possibilityof him disrupting team chemistry is nearly zero.

Hamilton would be a blessing for Denver, but the four years and $49million remaining on his contract don’t make much sense for thestruggling Pistons. JR Smith, at a far more digestible $13 million overtwo years, would give Detroit a surge of youth and athleticism.Although Smith’s skill set would overlap somewhat with Ben Gordon’s,the strengths of each (size for Smith, quickness for Gordon) cover theother’s weakness. Smith won’t do anything to help Detroit’s defense,but there’s virtually no chance of Detroit getting the young defensivecenter it needs in return for a shooting guard who turns 32 on Sunday.

Considering Smith and Hamilton have widely disparate salaries, therewould need to be additional players in the trade. Any combinationallowing the trade to be within the legal 125% +$100,000 window wouldbe acceptable; the easiest would be to add little-used reserves Renaldo Balkman ($7 million over the next four years) and Malik Allen from Denver’s side, along with DaJuan Summersfrom Detroit. Denver would still amass additional salary, but the teamis set to remain within the luxury tax until at least 2011 as is.Detroit would relish the immediate savings, which only increase whenAllen expires this summer.

View This Trade on RealGM’s Trade Checker

Christopher Reina: Maggette and George for Ilgauskas

The Cavaliers cannot afford to repeat last year’s mistake where theypossessed a false sense of confidence with the NBA’s best regularseason record. This created a situation where executing a deadline movefelt like more indulgence than necessity.

While I realize Danny Ferry and company have identified a floor-stretching big (Antawn Jamison or Troy Murphy) as their primary need in the trade market, Corey Maggettewould also undoubtedly improve Cleveland’s title chances and I believeto a degree neither of their primary targets would equal.

The biggest weakness of the Cavaliers is the utter absence of asecond big wing who can create his own offense. The Cavaliers fullyrevealed this vulnerability during their shocking elimination in lastyear’s playoffs to Orlando where LeBron James was successfully neutralized. The acquisitions of Shaquille O’Neal, Anthony Parker, Jamario Moon and Leon Powe addressed clear problems, but left that specific need still dangling attached to their title hopes.

Maggette has his glaring limitations, but he indisputably is anefficient scorer, with a career True Shooting Percentage of 58.1% and amark of 62.6% this season. He scores more than half of his buckets inthe paint and is also a human rain delay in terms of his perpetuallyhigh rate of drawing fouls and getting to the line. Opposing coacheswill be unable to consistently rotate fresh wing defenders onto LeBron,whether it be the combo of Mickael Pietrus and Matt Barnes for Orlando, or Ron Artest and Kobe Bryant for the Lakers, as they must also respect Maggette's potential to hurt them.

Another requisite of any Cleveland acquisition is to have anaccomplished spot-up game. Even though Maggette has largely abandonedhis perimeter game with the Warriors, he has a career mark of 32.0%from distance, which is more than adequate and he will hit his openlooks from LeBron kick-outs.

This season, Cleveland has a net PER production advantage at everyposition beyond shooting guard, where Maggette is also valuabledefensively. He can defend multiple positions and is actuallyunderrated on that side of the floor when motivated, which he clearlywill be in a deep playoff run. He is equipped to guard Kobe on onepossession and Lamar Odom on the next.

The motivation from Golden State’s perspective is purely financial.Maggette is owed just under $30.8 million over the upcoming threeseasons, which are appearing to be lottery-bound campaigns for theWarriors. Maggette isn’t part of the long-term picture and for a losingteam that will likely be sold within the next 18 months, he is anunnecessary luxury. A wink and a nod part of the deal will be for theWarriors to waive Zydrunas Ilgauskas, who they can buyout for a reduced amount of his remaining 09-10 salary for even additional savings.

Andrew Perna: Camby for Harpring, Mullens and a first-round pick

This trade, or some semblance of it, is a no-brainer for both the Clippers and Oklahoma City. Marcus Camby’scontract is expiring, making him valuable to a number of teams. Indealing Camby, the Clippers ensure they will get something in returnrather than simply watch the veteran sign with a contender this summer.Camby is an ideal mid-level exception candidate, making the possibilityof a sign-and-trade remote.

The Thunder aren’t exactly title contenders, but acquiring Cambywould allow them to all but ensure their first-ever playoff berth whilenot jeopardizing future cap freedom. Nenad Krsticis serviceable, but Camby would represent a huge upgrade and give theThunder one of the more underrated starting fives in the league.

Oklahoma City currently ranks sixth in points allowed per 100possessions and the addition of Camby would only bolster their defensefor when they face potent teams down the stretch. He’s a betterrebounder than Krstic, although his midrange game isn’t as smooth. Witha veteran like Camby, I could easily see the Thunder getting past thefirst round (assuming they avoid the Lakers). They are set to receive afirst round pick from Phoenix this year, making their own pick easierto part with.

Los Angeles agrees to this deal for a few different reasons. As Imentioned, dealing Camby before he hits the market ensures the Clippersof a return on their investment. They could probably land more ablebodies in return for the veteran, but Matt Harpring’s expiring deal keeps some cap space available while also acquiring a young prospect in B.J. Mullens and another first-round selection.

In my proposed deal the pick is unprotected, giving L.A. twofirst-rounders this June. The Timberwolves owe the Clippers afirst-round pick, but its top-10 protected in both 2010 and 2011. Thisyear’s draft class isn’t extremely deep, but the ability to add tworotation players on the cheap is valuable with the salary cap expectedto decline. With player options (Sebastian Telfair) and qualifying offers (Mardy Collins) the Clips would have between $42 million and $48 million tied up in 10 players for the 2010-11 season.

Daniel Leroux: Bulls/Wolves/Celtics three-way

Bulls trade: Luol Deng, Kirk Hinrich, Jerome James, John Salmons, Devin BrownBulls receive: Brian Cardinal, Ramon Sessions, Damien Wilkins, Wayne Ellington, Ray AllenWolves trade: Brian Cardinal, Ramon Session, Damien Wilkins, Wayne EllingtonWolves receive: Luol Deng, Jerome James, Devin BrownCeltics trade: Ray AllenCeltics receive: Kirk Hinrich, John Salmons

For Chicago:

Chicago opens up an absolute ton of cap room (my estimate: $35.9M of space at a cap of $52.5M with Derrick Rose, Joakim Noah, Taj Gibson, Ramon Sessions, Wayne Ellington, and James Johnson on roster) while getting back some useable talent. Ramon Sessions would be a logical back-up for Derrick Rose and is paid a reasonable amount for the long term. Plus, he could also play next to Rose if necessary. Ray Allenis a good mentor for the young guys on this team for the remainder ofthe season in a role somewhat similar to the one he played for Michael Reddin Milwaukee. Ellington is another guy who could benefit from Allen’stutelage and should become a valued contributor off the bench. Withthis trade, Chicago could offer the max to two different players.

For Minnesota:

While there is the possibility Minnesota will go after Rudy Gay in free agency, Luol Dengis a better fit with their current talent and a lower risk since he isalready under contract and a more proven, reliable commodity. Hismid-range shooting, defense, and mentality would help give an identityto a team that is still looking for one. What makes this trade evenmore logical for Minnesota is they give up relatively little talent toacquire Deng, especially if/when Ricky Rubiocomes over, which would decrease the trade value of Sessions. It givesthe Wolves a good core and enough flexibility to make more deals downthe road.

For Boston:

Adding Hinrich and Salmons would give Boston the shot in the armthey need to make a real run at a title this season. What’s more,Salmons is signed for only one more season while Hinrich’s salarydecreases in each remaining year, so the combined salary burden issomewhat close to what it would be in acquiring Andres Nocioni,except with dramatically more talent. Boston would get more versatileand the added depth on the perimeter would help both in terms ofdecreasing minutes in blowouts and increasing the chance of winningwhen injuries hit. Plus, Hinrich has a good history guarding Dwyane Wade, which could prove useful.

Brian Reynolds: Kaman for Smith

Why the Clippers should make this trade: Josh Smithis a special talent who would be incredibly marketable in the city ofLos Angeles. He would fit right in at the power forward position andallow the Clippers do what they should do – run. With Blake Griffinreturning (or should I say, “beginning his career

Not sure if this has been posted yet...
In a dramatic move that would resuscitate their fading championship hopes, the Boston Celtics are discussing a deal with the Washington Wizards for forwards Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler, league sources told Yahoo! Sports on Friday. The proposed deal would send the expiring contracts of Ray Allen, Brian Scalabrine and J.R. Giddens to the Wizards, a move that would signal the start of Washington's rebuilding process. Yahoo! Sport

Hoperfully the mavs and wizards trade goes down,im tired of the mavs repeatedly failing(yes i know they were robbed of that finals).

Back
Top Bottom