2010 NBA Trade Deadline thread

The Cleveland Cavaliers have made significant progress in trade discussions with the Washington Wizards, offering Zydrunas Ilgauskas(notes), Jamario Moon(notes) and a No. 1 draft pick for Antawn Jamison(notes) and Mike James(notes), sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Some league sources believe this is a deal that is preferable to some members of the Cavaliers’ management and coaching staffs over Amar’e Stoudemire(notes), but Cleveland still hasn’t made a decision on which trade to ultimately make. Other trade proposals that intrigue the Cavs are still emerging on the landscape, but the focus now is on Jamison or Stoudemire.

Washington is still trying to squeeze possibly another pick or young player out of the Cavs, but sources say it’s possible a deal could get done without J.J. Hickson(notes). As it stands, both sides believe they have the framework of a workable deal.

Despite LeBron James’(notes) desire for Stoudemire, sources say some within the Cavs aren’t completely sold that acquiring the Phoenix Suns All-Star forward is the best move at the trade deadline. The front office and coaching staffs have to walk delicately when dealing with James on these trade scenarios, because ultimately he has to buy into the move they make.

Rest of Article

JPZx wrote:
If you are one of the higher tier 2010 free agents getting set to test the waters in the off-season, which of these two groups of players interests you more?:

Timberwolves
-Al Jefferson (25 years old, 20 & 10 guy at full health)
-Kevin Love (21 years old)
-Jonny Flynn (21 years old)
-Corey Brewer (23 years old)
-Ricky Rubio (19 years old)
-Wayne Ellington (22 years old)
-Top 2-3 Pick in the 2010 NBA Draft
-TWO additional first round picks in the 2010 Draft owed to us by Charlotte and Utah.

Knicks
-David Lee (26 years old, 20 & 10 guy)
-Wilson Chandler (22 years old)
-Danilo Gallinari (21 years old)
-Nate Robinson (25 years old)
-Jordan Hill? (22 years old) (Cross him out if the Knicks complete the T-Mac trade)
-Toney Douglas? (23 years old)
-No First Round Pick in 2010

Now, before I go on, let me make it clear that I know that New York is the "Mecca" of basketball and you would be insane to choose Minnesota over New York if solely deciding between cities. I realize that I am fighting an uphill battle in saying that there is logic in choosing the Timberwolves over the Knicks this off-season. Ok, now that I got that out of the way...

1.) The Knicks are ranked #2 in terms of teams that have enough salary cap space to make a run at a big time free agent this off-season, and the Timberwolves are #4. A difference, yeah, but no much of a difference.
2.) Right now, I believe the New York Knicks only have enough space to sign one big time free agent. Therefore, Lebron or whoever signs there will have to play with the already established core you have there. However that could change if this Tracy McGrady trade goes through which would free up more cap space. As it stands though, a lot of teams are blowing smoke and many rumors are being shot back and forth without much credibility, so lets not consider that a factor until something concrete happens.
3.) New York winters aren't all that different from Minnesota winters. The average temperature/degrees are similar as well.
4.) Minneapolis is statistically a Top 10 market in the United States I believe...it's not Tumbleweed USA like Iowa, most of Wisconsin, and the Dakotas one bit.
5.) Looking at the rosters above and taking into account the probability of which pieces will still be there for the 2010-2011 season, I think you'd have to be inclined to say that the Timberwolves current personnel and the personnel that the free agent would be playing with is more attractive.

Now am I saying that all of these factors will play into one of the higher tier free agent's mind, causing him to choose the Timberwolves? No. And heck, after writing up this essay that I believe to be logical, stating reasons for why Minnesota would be a better situation to come in to than many other destinations....I can admit to you right now that I'd be overly shocked if one of the big free agents DOES sign here, electing to pass up other intriguing offers.

The logic's right in front of them, they just have to see it.

I see what you are saying, and agree or the most part, but it's pretty much the same if he looks at the Clippers and sees Blake, Gordon, Thorton, Jordan, and then Kaman, and Baron on the roster as well, and LA doesn't have the cold winters, and also has the media hype/Hollywood/attention one would want as a mega star.  So regardless, there are teams out there that can make legit offers, it's just a matter of a guy wanting to join a perennial loser.   (I don't mean any offense by that, I simply mean in terms of winning franchise and what not)

Keep 'em comin' DJs.
pimp.gif

Getting 'tawn w/o giving up J.J. would be ideal.

I don't think Kerr is dumb enough to bite on what we're trying to sell him...
nerd.gif

I've never been to Minnesota and have no desire to. I'm sure they feel the same way.

Just the way it is.
Harsh.
laugh.gif

6a00d834515ddf69e20120a63dfeb3970b-500wi

I remember he hated it there. ^

I've never been to Minnesota and have no desire to. I'm sure they feel the same way.

Just the way it is.

Cav's are fine If they make any trade to their roster there not going to even make it to the NBA championship. Promise me

Cleveland lookin at Amare, Jamison, Murphy, Maggette, why they feel the need so much to make a move? 

And as I said, once all deals fall thru, standard line will be, we like our team as constructed. 

So do I. 
happy.gif

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

Cleveland lookin at Amare, Jamison, Murphy, Maggette, why they feel the need so much to make a move? 

And as I said, once all deals fall thru, standard line will be, we like our team as constructed. 

So do I. 
happy.gif

laugh.gif

i feel like they need to make a move to make lebron happy and keep him after the summer of 2010. you look at the team right now theres nothing really wrong with them. best record in the league and on a crazy streak. its more of keeping LBJ content and making him stay in CLE for the long run

Here's something that doesn't make sense to me: if the Suns want to trade Amare, I can't see why they wouldn't want immediate cap relief...

The Suns are currently around $5 million over the luxury tax which means the Suns will end up paying around $10 million at the end of the season... if the Suns get under the luxury tax then they wouldn't have to pay anything and would actually get a check from the NBA from all the revenue sharing, if I remember correctly... So the savings would be enormous..

We all know that Sarver is known for making pure money moves but it makes even more sense why he'd do them now... There are plenty of rumors that on top of the money that Sarver will have to pay at the end of the season, the Suns are loosing oodles of money... On top of that, Sarver's companies have been doing very poorly the past couple of years and his money supply is even shorter than it was...

Considering how heavy of a hand Sarver has, how money conscious he is and what's going on for him financially right now, I just can't for the life of me see why he wouldn't want some immediate cap relief right now..

I can't see him paying $10 million for a non playoff team/a team going no where considering the economy... I can't..

But considering this is Cleveland, the Suns would screw us and not make the money move when several other cities have been beneficial because of it...

Now Riley is playing this perfectly.

He knows Ferry isn't interested in waiting around forever for PHX to make a decision, and that once Ferry pulls the trigger - he has Kerr by the balls.

Not only would Kerr not be able to use a competing CLE offer as leverage, but Riley also knows that Amare WANTS to sign with MIA in FA, so he can low ball as much as he wants once we are out of the picture and Kerr either takes it or knows he will lose Amare to FA anyways.

The only reason Riley is posturing with this 3rd team stuff is to stall an Amare deal to CLE because it takes two of his top FA's off the market.

Once Ferry deals, Riley has the upper hand big time and he knows it.

so shaq and his big %$+ ego and him been one of the most senstive NBA players of all time would allow himself to be traded, take a buy out and come back to the cavs on the vet minium in a few weeks?

HELL $!%@@$% NO

I agree with EVERYTHING OC just posted.  He nailed it on the head.
pimp.gif

CP, you honestly believe deep down that CLE is not going to make a move?  It seems rather imminent, no?

Word is that the Wizards are releasing Drew Gooden, so nobody needs to trade for him.  He might go back to Dallas.  There can't be too much interest in him from the contenders.

Well, to back up CP's stance...we heard for a LONG time on here how valuable Wally's contract was going to be and how they could make a big move with it...nothing happened.

Now we've heard it with Z's....which this time, I do expect something to go down...but if nothing happens, I won't be surprised.

Drew is coming back to Dallas from all accounts.

And Bill Worrell, Rockets color guy said the Rockets were interested in Camby, but the Clippers wanted Lowry and 'possibly' Ariza.

Get the hell outta here
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by franchise3

Drew is coming back to Dallas from all accounts.

And Bill Worrell, Rockets color guy said the Rockets were interested in Camby, but the Clippers wanted Lowry and 'possibly' Ariza.

Get the hell outta here
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I heard him say that too. We need a defensive presence, but we aren't that desperate for one. My man Morey doesn't panic
pimp.gif

Drew is more than welcome back... Gave the Mavs good minutes night in and night out...

Need a real backup 4...

I've expected Eddie in a knick uniform next season anyway if a big FA is signed. Him and Raja Bell.

Nate is a good fit with the C's.

Rockets to decide tomorrow on whether to trade TMac to the Bulls or the Knicks.

Welcome Salmons, Miller, James Johnsong/Ty Thomas and maybe a 1st rounder or the reported NYK deal we been hearing about to HTown

Hopefully no Hinrich

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Drew is more than welcome back... Gave the Mavs good minutes night in and night out...

Need a real backup 4...

you guys need all the help you can get. the mavs are currently getting their teeth kicked in by the thunder

Back
Top Bottom