2010 Official Boxing Thread: Soto/Antillon, 2010 Fight of the Year.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
yall was splittin 3 million, thats a good payday for Berto.

eek.gif
"I aint gotta pay her Alimony ery month" sdasdfasdfjadsjfadsfadsfadsfa "thats off the rack"

"we can get the paperwork out!"

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

this guy is def. comedy!

Originally Posted by AirMax305

Edwin valero the clear cut favorite against lamont?

Nah, especially if that'll be Valero's first fight at 140.  He's should be a slim favorite but people are going to look at his last fight and make him a huge favorite.

Matter fact, they're showing that fight right now on Universal HD.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

eek.gif
"I aint gotta pay her Alimony ery month"
"we can get the paperwork out!"

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

this guy is def. comedy!
laugh.gif
 shane looked mad uncomfortable and didnt know what to say

Floyd Mayweather vs. Shane Mosley has been building for years. There has been a lot of bad blood and the two fighters certainly showed it during the press conference in New York City on Tuesday. Besides the two of them nearly trading punches at the start of the presser, they traded words during multiple interviews and much of it was caught by Rick Reeno and Bill Emes of BoxingScene.com.

Mosley: I'm The champ.

Mayweather: Belts do nothing but collect dust. Man, I don't want his belt. I'm not paying no sanctioning fee. He can keep his belt. This is the biggest money he ever made, with me. [He and Andre Berto] were splitting three million a piece. That's a nice payday for Berto. It don't matter what you do, you are getting your biggest payday with me when it's all said and done.

Mayweather: [Mosley's ex-wife] Jin is your manager.

Mosley: Oh she is?

Mayweather: You beat Oscar De La Hoya twice and now you're an employee under Golden Boy Promotions. You work for Golden Boy.

Mosley: You and Jin need to get together.

Mayweather: I like Jin. Jin is a great person. She did great with your career. I'm not the one who has to pay her alimony every month, that's you. I'll get the kid [talking about Mosley] a Mayweather suit, a custom suit. Some real gators. That's off the rack [pointing to Mosley's suit].

Mosley: This is custom right here. That's not custom [pointing to Floyd's suit].

Mayweather: That don't say Mosley promotions [pointing to the fight banner].

Mosley: But that's my company.

Mayweather: That don't say Mosley promotions.

Mosley: You're paying my company.

Mayweather: Stop, just stop. You better check your records. You don't want me to get the paperwork out. Look up here. Look at what it says. It says Mayweather Promotions and Golden Boy Promotions. Go get your own business man. Be your own boss man.

laugh.gif
pacman on jimmy kimmel making another different excuse about why the money may fight didn't happen

roll.gif
@ floyd hilarious Shane got ethered . Shane has always been a nice guy never much of a trash talker he needs to call hopkins to help him out in that dept . lol "thats off the rack ""You are an employee of oscar dela hoya " damn
Did you see Manny singing on Kimmel pure comedy .
Valero is has to be the clear Fav. of Peterson yeah Valero is moving up but Peterson isnt the biggest Jr Welter in the world and not a big puncher . He can box well though but if he gets into a firefight like his last fight Valero puts him away should be a good scrap .

I think Peterson is a lot smarter than DeMarco though. DeMarco has a history of getting hit and just turning the fight into a brawl and Peterson doesn't do that so I'd give him a better shot.

He's fighting a dude w/no power he better win in 2 rounds or so.

I'm hyped for this Urango/Devon fight.

Pro..

I'm waiting for you to bust this out next week
laugh.gif

Spoiler [+]
flag-ghana.gif

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Foreman to fight Cotto on June 5[/h2]

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- A deal has been completed to bring the first fight to Yankee Stadium in more than three decades.

PromoterBob Arum told The Associated Press late Thursday that the WBA juniormiddleweight champion Yuri Foreman will fight former welterweightchampion Miguel Cotto on June 5 at the ballpark in the Bronx.

Thering will be set up in right-center field with seating around the ring,in the right field bleachers and along the first base line. Arumexpects 30,000-35,000 ringside seats will go for $400 with the leastexpensive tickets priced at $50.

Arum promoted the final bout atthe old Yankee Stadium across 161st Street when Muhammad Ali fought KenNorton on Sept. 28, 1976.

Nice.

Pro..

I'm waiting for you to bust this out next week
laugh.gif

Spoiler [+]
flag-ghana.gif

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Foreman to fight Cotto on June 5[/h2]

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- A deal has been completed to bring the first fight to Yankee Stadium in more than three decades.

PromoterBob Arum told The Associated Press late Thursday that the WBA juniormiddleweight champion Yuri Foreman will fight former welterweightchampion Miguel Cotto on June 5 at the ballpark in the Bronx.

Thering will be set up in right-center field with seating around the ring,in the right field bleachers and along the first base line. Arumexpects 30,000-35,000 ringside seats will go for $400 with the leastexpensive tickets priced at $50.

Arum promoted the final bout atthe old Yankee Stadium across 161st Street when Muhammad Ali fought KenNorton on Sept. 28, 1976.

Nice.

laugh.gif
nah man, I've jixned the Pac opponents the last few fights. I'm actually rooting for him this time around, wanna see PBF/Pac eventually.

$50 ain't bad might have to check that out...

[h4]
[h4]Alexander not letting praise get to his head[/h4]

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

box_a_alexander_576.jpg
AP Photo/Jeff RobersonGrowing up on the wrong side of the tracks didn't deter Devon Alexander from chasing his dreams.

Devon Alexander didn't just defeat Junior Witter to claim a vacant junior welterweight title in August, he beat and battered the highly regarded former titleholder from England.

Alexander, with his fast hands and quick feet, dazzled as he won virtually every round until Witter quit after the eighth round, claiming a hand injury, although pure frustration at the inability to do anything against "Alexander The Great" may have played a role.

The win made quite an impression on Kevin Cunningham, Alexander's trainer, manager and father figure.

"We prepared for a smart, tricky veteran former world champion who's fought the best 140-pounders in the world and he was real slicky and tricky," Cunningham said. "And everybody that Junior Witter had fought prior to us, he made them look horrible, from Zab Judah to 'Chop Chop' Corley to Tim Bradley. Everybody he fought, he made them look bad. But Devon looked good beating Junior Witter."

Indeed. It was a dazzling, breakout performance that put the 23-year-old on the map, and opened the door for bigger and better fights as HBO came calling. Now, in his first defense, Alexander (19-0, 12 KOs) can unify 140-pound titles in his HBO debut against hard-charging two-time titleholder Juan Urango (22-2-1, 17 KOs), 29, of Colombia, on "Boxing After Dark" Saturday night (9:30 ET/PT) at the Mohegan Sun resort in Uncasville, Conn.

Immediately following the bout, HBO debuts the 30-minute special "Road to Dallas: Pacquiao vs. Clottey," which previews the Manny Pacquiao-Joshua Clottey welterweight title bout on March 13 at Cowboys Stadium.

"Devon's one of the most phenomenal young men we've had in a long time," promoter Don King said. "His attitude is impeccable. His smile is addictive. Yet, when he gets into a ring, he's a killer. He's a phenomenal young man, got a great attitude, got a great trainer in Kevin Cunningham. … Right now, it is Devon The Great's opportunity to demonstrate to the world what Kevin Cunningham and myself already know of the greatness and the depth of his talent and skill and ability."

Alexander, who slept with his belt the night he won it and was later given the key to St. Louis by Mayor Francis Slay, said the opportunity to be in a unification bout so quickly means everything to him.

"I've been working towards this my whole life, you know," Alexander said. "Me and my coach, we started at the old police station and I've done seen [former stablemate and fellow St. Louis native] Cory [Spink] become undisputed [welterweight] champion, and now here it is my turn. I mean, it's been a long anticipation. But, you know, I put God first and for him to guide my career to where he wants to lead it and he's led me to the first defense of my title [being a] unification.

"Now, I'm fixing to become the unified champion at 140. So, I mean, I just can't ask for no more. I mean, I'm just blessed. I mean, everything is falling into place. And they're not calling me Alexander The Great for nothing."

That Alexander is in this position is nothing short of miraculous. He's a winner even if he loses the fight.

Growing up in a gang- and drug-infested area of St. Louis, Alexander joined the boxing gym that Cunningham, a former police officer, founded in the basement of the police station. Thirty kids joined the program, which Cunningham hoped to use as a haven to keep them off the streets and out of trouble.

It did the trick for Alexander, a father of two. But of the 30 kids who started in the program, at least eight are dead. At least 10 more served prison time or remain incarcerated, including Devon's older brother, Vaughn, a promising boxing prospect who is about five years into an 18-year sentence for robbery.

"I grew up in the rough side of North St. Louis, and I've done seen it all," Alexander said. "I've done seen the gangs. I've done seen killings. I've done seen drugs. I've done seen it all. So, I mean, that's one of my goals -- to try to encourage more youths like myself. I started off with 30 guys and they all -- most of them -- fell astray and fell off and got into other stuff that wasn't gonna help them in the future. And that's what I want to do. I want to encourage and I want to show young kids that they can do it no matter what the situation.

"I definitely wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth. If I can show them that they can do it, that's what I want to do."

Said Cunningham, "He's an example for how your life can turn out if you do the right things and stay focused. Regardless of the conditions in which you came up in, you don't have to be a product of your environment. And Devon is living proof of that and he stuck with the program, stayed focused, worked hard. That's why he's where he is today."

King sees Alexander as a role model for young people, especially for those kids in trying circumstances.

"He can be what he want to be, and this is what he wants to be -- something decent, strong, drugless, none of those things that everybody think they have to do for peer pressure as well as their own desire for addiction," King said. "This is a young man that's clean, in the same environment, facing the same difficulties, the same type of despair, but he's overcoming it with the hope and faith in God and dedication, hard work and commitment. That is phenomenal."

Alexander has heard the praise, be it from Mayor Slay, King or in his press clippings. Through it all, he's remained humble.

"I'm just taking it one day at a time, staying focused," he said. "It's a great honor that Mayor Slay even is mentioning my name. A kid from nothing to something. … And I'm just so humbled to be in this situation. I'm gonna make the most of it and stay on top."

[h4]Williams weighs in[/h4]

box_fw_williams_martinez_576.jpg
Ed Mulholland/FightWireImages.comPaul Williams, left, made some new fans after letting it all hang out against Sergio Martinez.

Middleweight contender Paul Williams, a former two-time welterweight titleholder who lives in Washington D.C., attended the Shane Mosley-Floyd Mayweather media tour stop there Wednesday and said he hopes Sergio Martinez defeats Kelly Pavlik for the middleweight title on April 17 because "I have a better chance of getting that fight with Martinez and I want those belts," said Williams, who outpointed Martinez in one of 2009's best and most competitive fights.

Williams, however, said he still wants to face Pavlik, who twice pulled out of their fight last year because of injuries.

Their deal called for a 60-40 split in Pavlik's favor. Pavlik promoter Bob Arum said he was willing to put it back together this year under the same deal. However, Dan Goossen, Williams' promoter, demanded a 50-50 split, which led the Pavlik camp to make the fight with Martinez instead. Williams, however, said he still wants Pavlik and is OK with taking the same deal.

"I just want what's fair. I'll take 60-40, it's no problem," he said. "I just want to get that fight and I just want those belts."

He

'll have to wait for the April 17 result as well as win his fight on May 8, which Williams said was likely to be against former welterweight titlist Kermit Cintron at junior middleweight. Williams said the fight could take place in Southern California; Atlantic City, N.J.; or Washington. Williams said he'd love to fight in Washington, where fans attending the Mosley-Mayweather event gave him a tremendous ovation after Golden Boy's Richard Schaefer spotted him sitting in the VIP section and introduced him to the crowd.

[h4]Golden Boy gets 'Showbox'[/h4]

box_vazquez_marquez_576.jpg
AP Photo/Mark J. TerrillGolden Boy will do business with Showtime in bringing Vazquez-Marquez IV back to the network.

Golden Boy, which has a close alliance with HBO, has done very little business with Showtime. However, they are doing Israel Vazquez-Rafael Marquez IV together on May 22.

Now Oscar De La Hoya's company has its first "ShoBox" date April 2, CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com.

Headlining at the Las Vegas Hard Rock will be junior middleweight Erislandy Lara (10-0, 6 KOs), a Cuban defector and former world amateur champion being moved very aggressively by co-manager Shelly Finkel. Lara, 26, a southpaw, faces former title challenger Danny Perez (34-6, 17 KOs). In January, Lara faced his most experienced opponent in former "Contender" winner Grady Brewer and stopped him in the 10th round. Perez also owns a win against Brewer, and lost a decision to Antonio Margarito in a 2002 welterweight title bout.

Puerto Rico's Carlos Velasquez (11-0, 9 KOs), 25, another Finkel-managed prospect, will open the card against an opponent to be named.

When asked why Golden Boy had finally gotten a "ShoBox" date, Schaefer said, "I have a nice relationship with [Showtime's] Ken Hershman." Will this lead to more dates for his crop of prospects? "You never know," he said. "I hope so."

Dan Rafael covers boxing for ESPN.com.
[/h4]

[h4]
[h4]QUICK HITS[/h4]

box_g_spinks_65.jpg
Spinks

• Don King, promoting a rare "Friday Night Fights" card on ESPN2, told ESPN.com he has added Cory Spinks' mandatory junior middleweight title defense against Cornelius "K9" Bundrage to his March 26 show, which will take place at Treasure Island in Las Vegas. In the main event, Steve Cunningham hooks up with Matt Godfrey for a vacant cruiserweight title, giving "FNF" a rare world-title doubleheader.

box_a_marquez1_sw_65.jpg
Marquez

• Juan Manuel Marquez, who said recently that he's not interested in remaining at lightweight to defend his title and preferred a move to junior welterweight, will stay at 135 for one more fight, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com. Schaefer said Marquez will defend his title this summer, possibly in June, against an opponent to be determined -- perhaps a rematch of the 2009 fight of the year with Juan Diaz -- before moving up to 140 pounds. Schaefer said he's discussed a Marquez fight with HBO and it's interested. Schaefer said he plans to meet next week in Los Angeles with Marquez and trainer/manager Nacho Beristain to discuss the particulars. After a final defense at lightweight, Schaefer said Marquez wants to go to 140 and face former champ Ricky Hatton in a fight that could take place in Hatton's hometown of Manchester, England, at the end of the year.

box_f_pascal_65.jpg
Pascal

• The Jean Pascal-Chad Dawson fight has been delayed for the third time. Dawson promoter Gary Shaw said it's also the last time. The light heavyweight title bout was slated for April but delayed to June, then July and now to Aug. 14 in Montreal. The reason: to allow Pascal ample time to recover from shoulder surgery following an injury suffered Dec. 11 in a rematch against Adrian Diaconu. Shaw said the deal was agreed to this week. "HBO made it very clear to Yvon Michel [Pascal's promoter] that there were no other cancellations," Shaw said. "Aug. 14 is the date. It's in stone. According to Yvon, Pascal wants Dawson badly and doesn't want to duck him and wants to be on the pound-for-pound list, and doesn't believe he can be if he doesn't beat Dawson. Yvon said he's going to start training in May, but we agreed to move the fight to August just to make sure he has enough time. So Chad will wait. He wants the biggest fights he can get and Pascal is a big fight. If he beats Pascal, maybe we'll come back [to Montreal] and fight [super middleweight titlist and Montreal star] Lucian Bute."

box_g_rigondeaux1_sw_65.jpg
Rigondeaux

• Heralded junior featherweight prospect Guillermo Rigondeaux (5-0, 4 KOs), a two-time Olympic gold medalist from Cuba, has been added to the Andre Berto-Carlos Quintana undercard on April 10 (HBO) in Sunrise, Fla., promoter Lou DiBella announced. In his last bout on ESPN2, Rigondeaux stopped Adolfo Landeros in the first round and donated his purse to relief efforts for victims of the Haiti earthquake. Now, he's fighting on a card titled "Fighting for Haiti." Berto's family is from Haiti and he lost eight family members in the earthquake. A portion of all ticket sales will be donated to the Berto Dynasty Fund to help the ongoing relief efforts. "The large Cuban-American population [in South Florida] will get the opportunity to see one of the greatest products of Cuban amateur boxing," DiBella said. "Guillermo showed his concern for the people by donating the purse of his last televised fight to Haitian relief. It's appropriate that he be given the opportunity to display his talents as a part of this great event." DiBella said HBO has the option to air highlights of Rigondeaux's bout.

box_a_arce01_65.jpg
Arce

• Mexico's Jorge Arce (53-6-1, 40 KOs) will make the first defense of his junior bantamweight belt against mandatory challenger Evert Briceno (32-5-1, 26 KOs) of Nicaragua. Carl Moretti of Top Rank, Arce's co-promoter, said the fight will take place in Mexico and that it was "80 percent" that it would be May 1. It will be televised on "Top Rank Live" on Fox Sports en Espanol, Moretti said. Arce won his third world title on Jan. 30 when he scored a seven-round technical decision against Indonesia's Angky Angkota to claim a vacant belt.

box_fw_jones1_sw_65.jpg
Jones

• Philadelphia welterweight prospect Mike Jones, 26, who passed a test when he outboxed veteran fringe contender Henry Bruseles in a lopsided decision win last Saturday in Atlantic City, N.J., will return there to fight April 17 on the Kelly Pavlik-Sergio Martinez undercard at Boardwalk Hall, promoter Russell Peltz told ESPN.com. Peltz will be working with Top Rank on a Jones fight for the second straight bout. Peltz said if Jones (20-0, 16 KOs), who drew a nearly $100,000 gate for the Bruseles fight, comes through next month, he and Top Rank are talking about Jones headlining another "Top Rank Live" card from the 3,000-seat ballroom at Boardwalk Hall.

box_g_calderon_65.jpg
Calderon

• Junior flyweight champ Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon, 35, of Puerto Rico is due to return this spring to face interim titlist Johnriel Casimero in a mandatory fight. A purse bid was scheduled for March 2, but the sides made a deal for the bout, which will take place in Calderon's native Puerto Rico. Calderon (33-0-1, 6 KOs), who will be making his sixth defense, has been out since September after suffering a severe cut on his forehead in his seven-round technical decision win against Rodel Mayol in their rematch. The cut, caused by an accidental head clash, forced the fight to be stopped and sent to the scorecard. The Philippines' Casimero (14-0, 8 KOs), 20, claimed the interim belt in December with an 11th-round TKO against Cesar Canchila in Nicaragua.

box_a_hopkins_65.jpg
Hopkins

• Demetrius Hopkins (28-1-1, 11 KOs), the estranged nephew of Bernard Hopkins who hasn't fought in more than a year because of legal and promotional issues, is scheduled to face faded former featherweight titlist Freddie Norwood (43-3-1, 23 KOs) in a 10-round welterweight bout March 25 in Commerce, Calif. Hopkins, 29, hasn't fought since dropping a split decision on a week's notice to then-junior welterweight titlist Kendall Holt in December 2008. It will be Hopkins' first bout since being released by Top Rank and signing with TKO Boxing. Norwood, 40, has lost two of his last three fights and hasn't been a factor since losing his featherweight belt via 11th-round knockout to Derrick Gainer in 2000 and going idle for six years.

box_g_holyfield01_65.jpg
Holyfield

• The Nevada State Athletic Commission granted a license to Evander Holyfield, paving the way for him to face Frans Botha in Las Vegas, tentatively on April 17. Also at the commission meeting, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. was fined $10,000 and suspended for seven months for testing positive for a diuretic in his drug test for his fight against Troy Rowland on Nov. 14. The suspension is retroactive, meaning Chavez can fight again in June. The result of the bout, originally a 10-round decision for Chavez, was changed to a no decision, commission executive director Keith Kizer said. … Heavyweight Alexander Povetkin, a mandatory challenger for Wladimir Klitschko, has an opponent for his March 13 tuneup in Germany: Javier Mora. … The Hugo Hernan Garay-Chris Henry light heavyweight title eliminator, postponed from Feb. 27, has been added to the March 27 Integrated Sports PPV card headlined by Erik Morales' comeback against Jose Alfaro in Monterrey, Mexico. Also on the PPV: Big-hitting strawweight titlist Roman Gonzalez will get his first American TV exposure in a defense against Juan Hernandez. …The Michael Katsidis-Kevin Mitchell interim lightweight title bout takes place May 8 in Great Britain, according to promoter Frank Warren.

[h4]QUOTABLE[/h4]

box_g_mayweather1_65.jpg
Mayweather

"You can hate it or love it, but this is a God-given ability. I am taking these skills and showing the world that I am going to entertain. There is no blueprint to beat me, and that is all that matters." -- Floyd Mayweather Jr., talking about his May 1 showdown with Shane Mosley during their media tour to promote the fight this week

[h4]QUOTABLE[/h4]

box_a_mosley_65.jpg
Mosley

"May 1 symbolizes something. After this fight, it is going to be clear. It is going to be the date of Mayweather's first loss. It has been a long time since I have had a chance to show the world that I am the best fighter. I have wanted to be the best and have people understand that I am the best. It is going to be clear that there is an *%! whupping and I am about to give it to him." -- welterweight titlist Mosley, during this week's media tour promoting his showdown with Mayweather

[h4]QUOTABLE[/h4]

box_g_Darchinyan_65.jpg
Darchinyan

"I don't want to talk about any possible fights for me in the future. My main focus is on Guerrero and defeating a determined, young opponent. I am here and ready to do my job. If the knockout comes, it comes. But it is going to come. He will feel my power.'' -- brash junior bantamweight champ Vic Darchinyan, who defends his title against Rodrigo Guerrero on Saturday night (Showtime, 9 ET/PT) in Rancho Mirage, Calif.
[/h4]

that march 26 FNF looks Dope
pimp.gif

I'll prolly make it out to the Berto Fight, def looking forward to  seeing Rigodeaux

Pascal vs Chad gonna be a Good Fight

box_a_alexander_576.jpg

eek.gif
this +##+@ got Spliff Star training him,
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom