2011 College Football "The Real been hacked!!!!" .

From Brian Bennett's Big more than Ten blog July 1st.

Jon from Indian Rocks Beach, Fla., writes: What happened to the ex-Michigan recruit Demar Dorsey? Did he ever enroll at Louisville? I figured that the combination of your Big East and Big Ten experience makes you the perfect person to ask!

Brian Bennett: Sure thing, Jon. Dorsey tried to go to Louisville, but academic issues held up his enrollment there. He headed off to a junior college this winter. Maybe we'll see him again in two years.

From Brian Bennett's Big more than Ten blog July 1st.

Jon from Indian Rocks Beach, Fla., writes: What happened to the ex-Michigan recruit Demar Dorsey? Did he ever enroll at Louisville? I figured that the combination of your Big East and Big Ten experience makes you the perfect person to ask!

Brian Bennett: Sure thing, Jon. Dorsey tried to go to Louisville, but academic issues held up his enrollment there. He headed off to a junior college this winter. Maybe we'll see him again in two years.

Was watching a little of VT-FSU while eating breakfast... Taylor was fantastic that day. Coale doing his best Wes Welker impersonation. ESPNU finally good for something (ESPNU Classic)

Was watching a little of VT-FSU while eating breakfast... Taylor was fantastic that day. Coale doing his best Wes Welker impersonation. ESPNU finally good for something (ESPNU Classic)

Originally Posted by KingJames23

Matt Elam cited of alcohol possession

150901.gif
Tell him to put the 4 Loko's down

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

yooo where the hell is Demar Dorsey? ???
Yeah he is at GRCC. Used to be a feeder school for Michigan way back and still is one of few that has easily transferable credits to UofM.

Annesse is a pro Michigan guy and really lost it when Ronald Johnsons mother sent him to U$C. Got out of HS coaching and took the GRCC gig.

Hope Demar stays on course since their field is about 10mins from my house. Would love to see him play this year.

I doubt he ends up at Michigan but a place like CMU could be prefect for him. Heres hoping leaving Florida has helped him get his head on straight.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

yooo where the hell is Demar Dorsey? ???
Yeah he is at GRCC. Used to be a feeder school for Michigan way back and still is one of few that has easily transferable credits to UofM.

Annesse is a pro Michigan guy and really lost it when Ronald Johnsons mother sent him to U$C. Got out of HS coaching and took the GRCC gig.

Hope Demar stays on course since their field is about 10mins from my house. Would love to see him play this year.

I doubt he ends up at Michigan but a place like CMU could be prefect for him. Heres hoping leaving Florida has helped him get his head on straight.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Randy Edsall: Maryland's New Football Unis Have No Names on the Back [/h1]
TestudoTimes_tiny.gif
by Ben Broman on Jul 22, 2011 3:11 PM EDT in Football

Tweet

He promises new unis this year - big shocker, right? - and seems pretty upbeat about the number of combinations. But he also promises that the new unis won't feature player names on the back because Edsall's "not a name-on-the-back-of-the-jersey guy."
Edsall also said the uniforms will not include players' last names on the back of the jerseys.

"I am not a name-on-the-back-of-the-jersey guy," Edsall said. "To me, it's all about the name on the front. It's all about Maryland. To me, it's about being a team and let's just worry about being Maryland and taking care of business that way. It's a team sport we are playing. It is not an individual sport."

It's a pretty unique set-up, of course. The only two situations I can think of it being used in are for tradition-filled teams - Penn State and USC - and teams in need of discipline - Miami when Randy Shannon took over. Last time I checked ... neither of those are Maryland, at least not right now. (Oh, and UConn, his last team. Perhaps we should've seen this coming.)

http://
star-divide.v777cf8a.jpg

And though I do understand where he's coming from, doesn't this torpedo the whole reason to get new jerseys, ie coolness? New jerseys are cool. So is seeing your name on the back of one. If Maryland's trying to go the Oregon route, going the hardass, no-name way isn't really that smart of a venture.

I have to say, I'm not exactly impressed or pleased by Edsall here. Most players will be fine with it, sure. The thing is, some won't. Like it or not, some (most?) players like to see their name on the jersey. They are individuals, after all, and reducing them to a number won't work with everyone. Taking them away because it's not "your style" seems ... I don't know, a bit egomaniacal. A bit my-way-or-the-highway, for a reason I just don't understand.

It isn't going to help them play better, not in any way I can see. I don't think the players are going to forget that they exist as individual entities when they don't see their name on the back. A name is cosmetic, but in many cases it matters to the player, and to his family. Sure, football is a team game, but it's a team game played by individuals. Edsall would do well to remember that.

Unlike Penn St., it isn't a draw in and of itself. Unlike Miami, it wasn't needed for disciplinary reasons - you might remember that Shannon essentially said they have to earn the right to wear their names. In this case, it's for ... well, I guess it's for Edsall's cracked idea that removing the names will result in greater "team think" with no loss to morale or recruiting ability.

And lest you think I'm making too big a deal of it: no, it's not terribly important, although I'd be surprised if it had no effect. More important is the principle of it. Even if names ends up not being a big deal - it didn't seem to cause any problems at UConn - I'm concerned for where this leads to. It may not hurt at all, but he still made a change toward disciplinarianism(?) that doesn't seem to have a tangible benefit and may, in fact, hold negatives. It isn't an encouraging sign for a more open and fun team.

[h2]http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...es-take-their-last-shot-at-t?urn=ncaaf-wp4037[/h2]
[h2]Debriefing: Old ‘Canes take their last shot at turning over a new leaf[/h2]
By Matt Hinton

The least you should know about the 2011 Hurricanes. Part of ACC Week.
debriefing_old_canes_take_one_last_shot_at_turning_over_a_new_leaf.jpg
You flatter us, really. Miami still has a reputation as an elite talent magnet that's been unable to convert its potential into actual results, and to a large extent, that's true. But the Hurricanes' absence from the upper echelons of the final polls in January has coincided directly with its decline in the recruiting rankings in February: Only one of the five recruiting classes feeding into this fall's roster — a 33-man haul packed with local stars in 2008 — has come in among Rivals' top 15 classes nationally, and it was also the only class under ousted coach Randy Shannon that consisted mainly of four and five-star signees. And even then, only barely.

In the meantime, Florida State is closing fast on its fourth straight top-10 recruiting class in 2012, by which time its fortunes on the field may be right in line. For new coach Al Golden, priority No. 1 is closing that gap, which begins with taking a discernible step forward on the field that rivals Jimbo Fisher's solid debut in Tallahassee.

We're still here. As for that ballyhooed 2008 class, it has certainly held together: More than a dozen members of the '08 crop have started at least 10 games over the last three years, all but one of whom (NFL-bound cornerback Brandon Harris) are listed as likely starters going into their fourth season. Five of that number — defensive tackle Marcus Fortson, quarterback Jacory Harris, receiver Aldarius Johnson, linebacker Sean Spence and guard Brandon Washington — came out of the same nearby high school, Miami-Northwestern, where they and three other '08 Miami signees led the No. 1 prep team in the nation as seniors.

As seniors in college, their hourglass is almost out of sand.http:// Since a promising (albeit brief) foray into the top ten over the first half of 2009, the 'Canes are a disappointing 11-9 in their last 20 games, including five straight flops — four of them by double digits — against ranked teams. Only one remaining member of the '08 class, Washington, has come in for first-team All-ACC notice, and only one more (Spence) has been named to the second team. Harris, the early star as a sophomore, is battling just to get on the field again after exploding into a confetti shower of turnovers as a junior. If the unofficial face of the Randy Shannon era is passed by Stephen Morris, it's probably time to give the 2008 class a C+ and consider the page officially turned.

debriefing_old_canes_take_their_last_shot_at_turning_over_a_new_leaf.jpg
The virtues of experience, part one. Whoever wins the ongoing quarterback derby, he won't have any room to complain about the surrounding cast: The top three receivers and at least three-fifths of the starting offensive line are seniors or redshirt juniors, not including fifth-year senior Joel Figueroa, a former full-time starter at guard before sitting out last season with an injury. If Seantrel Henderson, a freshman All-American last year after a late arrival in the summer, finally manages to lock down the left tackle job over spring insurgent Malcolm Bunche, every starter on the offense will bring at least ten career starts to the table except Morris (if he wins the job over the veteran Harris) and the new tight end.

The virtues of experience, part two. The strong point of the team last year, by far, was the combination of a pass rush that led the nation in tackles for loss and a secondary that led the ACC in both pass defense and pass efficiency D. The most notable members of both of those groups — defensive end Allen Bailey and cornerback Brandon Harris — are both gone, as is the architect of the defense, Shannon. But everyone else is back, including strong All-ACC candidates on the line (Fortson), at linebacker (Spence) and in the back four (safeties Ray-Ray Armstrong and Vaughn Telemaque), which should put the 'Canes in the running for the top defense in the conference.

Then again, very little of what should happen with the personnel here actually has happened over the last six years. So stay tuned.

[h2]http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...-Tech-has-10-more-wins-in-th?urn=ncaaf-wp4062[/h2]
[h2]Debriefing: Virginia Tech has 10 more wins in the bank. Is that still enough?[/h2]
By Graham Watson

The least you should know about the 2011 Hokies. Part of ACC Week.
debriefing_virginia_tech_has_more_wins_in_the_bank_is_that_still_enough.jpg
Tapping on that glass ceiling. It's hard to complain about Virginia Tech. The Hokies have won at least 10 games in each of the last seven seasons, won three of the past four ACC championships and have basically been ole' reliable when it comes to leading the conference.

So why are we not impressed?

It's all well and good that Virginia Tech has had its way with a weak ACC, especially in recent years, but there's got to be something bigger for the Hokies; a greater goal, and they're not achieving it. Since joining the ACC, Virginia Tech has played in four BCS bowl games, but not one of those games has been the national championship. Since 2004, the Hokies haven't finished the season ranked higher than seventh (2005) and most of the time it's fallen out of the top 10. Still, Virginia Tech remains the team to beat in the ACC and if the Hokies win the ACC, its fans will be pleased. But will they be satisfied?

A different kind of quarterback. With Tyrod Taylor gone, Logan Thomas takes over as the Hokies' signal caller and he brings a different style to a team that's been used to a QB who can tuck and run. Thomas is 6-foot-6, 245 pounds and has the shiftiness of a turtle, but his height and size should allow him to stay longer in the pocket, fight off defenders and find some of those receivers that Taylor often missed. It helps that top receivers Jarrett Boykin (53 catches for 847 yards and six touchdowns) and Danny Coale (39 catches for 732 yards and three touchdowns) return and they figure to get a lot more work than they have in the past.

Running down depth. David Wilson returns as the Hokies' top rushing threat after notching 113 carries for 619 yards and five touchdowns a year ago. However, after him, the experience is nil. Last year's top two backs, Darren Evans and Taylor, are gone, as is No. 4 back Ryan Williams, who declared for the NFL draft.  The beauty of Wilson is his versatility. He also caught for more than 200 yards and four scores. However, if he gets hurt, the Hokies' are going to have a lot of trouble mounting a running game with a slew of unknown backs.http://

Not the usual defense. With just five starters back, the Virginia Tech defense is a little more suspect than in past years. Defensive tackle Antoine Hopkins is the only returner on the defensive line and the other three players -- J.R. Collins, Derrick Hopkins and James Gayle -- are all sophomores. Because of the youth, the Hokies' will rely heavily on the linebacking corps, which is anchored by Jeron Gouveia-Winslow and Bruce Taylor. Taylor led the team with 15.5 tackles for loss and was second with six sacks. He also had 91 tackles.

The defense had a shaky start a year ago, which led to the Hokies 0-2 record, but rallied to finish tops in the conference. If the front line can get adjusted quickly, Virginia Tech has the talent to continue to be the league's elite defense.

[h2][/h2]
[h2]A Conference Title Weekend What-If[/h2][h4]By Paul Myerberg   //   Jul 22, 2011[/h4]
Arizona State is the de facto favorite, based on the number of returning starters, the way the team ended last season and the thought that after three years of scuffling along the time is now for Dennis Erickson and the Sun Devils. Arizona was briefly counted out but is now back in, seeing that wide receiver Juron Criner is back in the fold following a brief scare. Utah’s the new guy, the unknown with a sterling resume of success at one of college football’s non-B.C.S. conference levels. Then there’s U.S.C.: you remember the Trojans, right?

Competitive balance is alive in well in the Pac-12 South, where four teams can make a distinct claim to the being the division’s best and two other teams can make at least a slight claim to being in the mix. No, not even the most positive-thinking U.C.L.A. fan among us can say that the Bruins are built for a B.C.S. run, but stranger things have happened. Colorado fared well enough without Dan Hawkins in 2010 to say that a mere coaching change is all the Buffaloes need to return to their winning ways.

Is there another B.C.S. conference division with greater competitiveness? Well, the SEC West has an argument: L.S.U. and Alabama are national title contenders, with Arkansas and Mississippi State not too far behind that pair. So let me rephrase: Is there another B.C.S. conference division more up for grabs without at least one team that will be in the national championship picture?

That drops the SEC West from the conversation, as well as the Big Ten Legends division, a group led by Nebraska. The Pac-12 South has four primary contenders: four teams that will hover around seven to nine wins, perhaps squeezing into the bottom fifth of the Top 25 but not, when push comes to shove, making a regular season run for a B.C.S. bowl.

Is this a good thing? There are two sides to the argument. One could say that increased competition is the byproduct of the conference’s division split, in that a 5-4 Pac-12 record doesn’t automatically spell a mid-league finish. Now, 5-4 might earn an Arizona State or Utah a spot against Oregon or Stanford in the Pac-12’s inaugural championship game.

One could also say that a deep division without a national contender could lead to a situation like the one the Big 12 experienced for much of the last decade: a Kansas State, Colorado, Nebraska or Missouri would win the North before being overrun by Texas or Oklahoma in Arrowhead Stadium. That scenario wasn’t good for the North or the South, as it belittled the former division while diminishing the resume of the latter. The conference as a whole suffered.

So it could be said that an Oregon or Stanford, should push come to shove, would suffer from a Pac-12 South that fails to put forth a nationally-ranked, well-regarded opponent. Consider this scenario: Oregon, Florida State and Alabama are undefeated heading into conference championship weekend. Florida State beats 11-1 Virginia Tech, Alabama beats 10-2 South Carolina and Oregon tops 8-4 Utah. If all teams are equal in the polls — each team is right around the same level in the B.C.S. standings — which pair do you think gets a late push into the B.C.S. National Championship Game?

It’s Alabama and Florida State, of course, and Oregon is left out in the cold. That’s a nightmare scenario for the Pac-12 in 2011. Does it always have to be this way? No, and it won’t be this way for long. U.S.C. will be back. Arizona State has a nice crop of young talent. Arizona has turned a corner. U.C.L.A. just needs a coach. And Utah, in my opinion, could make a Virginia Tech-like splash in their new digs.

For this season, however, the mid-level occupants of the Pac-12 South are going to tussle around in the seven, eight, nine-win range. And while that should provide for an interesting November as the top four teams fight for division supremacy, it doesn’t look like a great thing for the conference at large.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Randy Edsall: Maryland's New Football Unis Have No Names on the Back [/h1]
TestudoTimes_tiny.gif
by Ben Broman on Jul 22, 2011 3:11 PM EDT in Football

Tweet

He promises new unis this year - big shocker, right? - and seems pretty upbeat about the number of combinations. But he also promises that the new unis won't feature player names on the back because Edsall's "not a name-on-the-back-of-the-jersey guy."
Edsall also said the uniforms will not include players' last names on the back of the jerseys.

"I am not a name-on-the-back-of-the-jersey guy," Edsall said. "To me, it's all about the name on the front. It's all about Maryland. To me, it's about being a team and let's just worry about being Maryland and taking care of business that way. It's a team sport we are playing. It is not an individual sport."

It's a pretty unique set-up, of course. The only two situations I can think of it being used in are for tradition-filled teams - Penn State and USC - and teams in need of discipline - Miami when Randy Shannon took over. Last time I checked ... neither of those are Maryland, at least not right now. (Oh, and UConn, his last team. Perhaps we should've seen this coming.)

http://
star-divide.v777cf8a.jpg

And though I do understand where he's coming from, doesn't this torpedo the whole reason to get new jerseys, ie coolness? New jerseys are cool. So is seeing your name on the back of one. If Maryland's trying to go the Oregon route, going the hardass, no-name way isn't really that smart of a venture.

I have to say, I'm not exactly impressed or pleased by Edsall here. Most players will be fine with it, sure. The thing is, some won't. Like it or not, some (most?) players like to see their name on the jersey. They are individuals, after all, and reducing them to a number won't work with everyone. Taking them away because it's not "your style" seems ... I don't know, a bit egomaniacal. A bit my-way-or-the-highway, for a reason I just don't understand.

It isn't going to help them play better, not in any way I can see. I don't think the players are going to forget that they exist as individual entities when they don't see their name on the back. A name is cosmetic, but in many cases it matters to the player, and to his family. Sure, football is a team game, but it's a team game played by individuals. Edsall would do well to remember that.

Unlike Penn St., it isn't a draw in and of itself. Unlike Miami, it wasn't needed for disciplinary reasons - you might remember that Shannon essentially said they have to earn the right to wear their names. In this case, it's for ... well, I guess it's for Edsall's cracked idea that removing the names will result in greater "team think" with no loss to morale or recruiting ability.

And lest you think I'm making too big a deal of it: no, it's not terribly important, although I'd be surprised if it had no effect. More important is the principle of it. Even if names ends up not being a big deal - it didn't seem to cause any problems at UConn - I'm concerned for where this leads to. It may not hurt at all, but he still made a change toward disciplinarianism(?) that doesn't seem to have a tangible benefit and may, in fact, hold negatives. It isn't an encouraging sign for a more open and fun team.

[h2]http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...es-take-their-last-shot-at-t?urn=ncaaf-wp4037[/h2]
[h2]Debriefing: Old ‘Canes take their last shot at turning over a new leaf[/h2]
By Matt Hinton

The least you should know about the 2011 Hurricanes. Part of ACC Week.
You flatter us, really. Miami still has a reputation as an elite talent magnet that's been unable to convert its potential into actual results, and to a large extent, that's true. But the Hurricanes' absence from the upper echelons of the final polls in January has coincided directly with its decline in the recruiting rankings in February: Only one of the five recruiting classes feeding into this fall's roster — a 33-man haul packed with local stars in 2008 — has come in among Rivals' top 15 classes nationally, and it was also the only class under ousted coach Randy Shannon that consisted mainly of four and five-star signees. And even then, only barely.

In the meantime, Florida State is closing fast on its fourth straight top-10 recruiting class in 2012, by which time its fortunes on the field may be right in line. For new coach Al Golden, priority No. 1 is closing that gap, which begins with taking a discernible step forward on the field that rivals Jimbo Fisher's solid debut in Tallahassee.

We're still here. As for that ballyhooed 2008 class, it has certainly held together: More than a dozen members of the '08 crop have started at least 10 games over the last three years, all but one of whom (NFL-bound cornerback Brandon Harris) are listed as likely starters going into their fourth season. Five of that number — defensive tackle Marcus Fortson, quarterback Jacory Harris, receiver Aldarius Johnson, linebacker Sean Spence and guard Brandon Washington — came out of the same nearby high school, Miami-Northwestern, where they and three other '08 Miami signees led the No. 1 prep team in the nation as seniors.

As seniors in college, their hourglass is almost out of sand.http:// Since a promising (albeit brief) foray into the top ten over the first half of 2009, the 'Canes are a disappointing 11-9 in their last 20 games, including five straight flops — four of them by double digits — against ranked teams. Only one remaining member of the '08 class, Washington, has come in for first-team All-ACC notice, and only one more (Spence) has been named to the second team. Harris, the early star as a sophomore, is battling just to get on the field again after exploding into a confetti shower of turnovers as a junior. If the unofficial face of the Randy Shannon era is passed by Stephen Morris, it's probably time to give the 2008 class a C+ and consider the page officially turned.

debriefing_old_canes_take_their_last_shot_at_turning_over_a_new_leaf.jpg
The virtues of experience, part one. Whoever wins the ongoing quarterback derby, he won't have any room to complain about the surrounding cast: The top three receivers and at least three-fifths of the starting offensive line are seniors or redshirt juniors, not including fifth-year senior Joel Figueroa, a former full-time starter at guard before sitting out last season with an injury. If Seantrel Henderson, a freshman All-American last year after a late arrival in the summer, finally manages to lock down the left tackle job over spring insurgent Malcolm Bunche, every starter on the offense will bring at least ten career starts to the table except Morris (if he wins the job over the veteran Harris) and the new tight end.

The virtues of experience, part two. The strong point of the team last year, by far, was the combination of a pass rush that led the nation in tackles for loss and a secondary that led the ACC in both pass defense and pass efficiency D. The most notable members of both of those groups — defensive end Allen Bailey and cornerback Brandon Harris — are both gone, as is the architect of the defense, Shannon. But everyone else is back, including strong All-ACC candidates on the line (Fortson), at linebacker (Spence) and in the back four (safeties Ray-Ray Armstrong and Vaughn Telemaque), which should put the 'Canes in the running for the top defense in the conference.

Then again, very little of what should happen with the personnel here actually has happened over the last six years. So stay tuned.

[h2]http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...-Tech-has-10-more-wins-in-th?urn=ncaaf-wp4062[/h2]
[h2]Debriefing: Virginia Tech has 10 more wins in the bank. Is that still enough?[/h2]
By Graham Watson

The least you should know about the 2011 Hokies. Part of ACC Week.
Tapping on that glass ceiling. It's hard to complain about Virginia Tech. The Hokies have won at least 10 games in each of the last seven seasons, won three of the past four ACC championships and have basically been ole' reliable when it comes to leading the conference.

So why are we not impressed?

It's all well and good that Virginia Tech has had its way with a weak ACC, especially in recent years, but there's got to be something bigger for the Hokies; a greater goal, and they're not achieving it. Since joining the ACC, Virginia Tech has played in four BCS bowl games, but not one of those games has been the national championship. Since 2004, the Hokies haven't finished the season ranked higher than seventh (2005) and most of the time it's fallen out of the top 10. Still, Virginia Tech remains the team to beat in the ACC and if the Hokies win the ACC, its fans will be pleased. But will they be satisfied?

A different kind of quarterback. With Tyrod Taylor gone, Logan Thomas takes over as the Hokies' signal caller and he brings a different style to a team that's been used to a QB who can tuck and run. Thomas is 6-foot-6, 245 pounds and has the shiftiness of a turtle, but his height and size should allow him to stay longer in the pocket, fight off defenders and find some of those receivers that Taylor often missed. It helps that top receivers Jarrett Boykin (53 catches for 847 yards and six touchdowns) and Danny Coale (39 catches for 732 yards and three touchdowns) return and they figure to get a lot more work than they have in the past.

Running down depth. David Wilson returns as the Hokies' top rushing threat after notching 113 carries for 619 yards and five touchdowns a year ago. However, after him, the experience is nil. Last year's top two backs, Darren Evans and Taylor, are gone, as is No. 4 back Ryan Williams, who declared for the NFL draft.  The beauty of Wilson is his versatility. He also caught for more than 200 yards and four scores. However, if he gets hurt, the Hokies' are going to have a lot of trouble mounting a running game with a slew of unknown backs.http://

Not the usual defense. With just five starters back, the Virginia Tech defense is a little more suspect than in past years. Defensive tackle Antoine Hopkins is the only returner on the defensive line and the other three players -- J.R. Collins, Derrick Hopkins and James Gayle -- are all sophomores. Because of the youth, the Hokies' will rely heavily on the linebacking corps, which is anchored by Jeron Gouveia-Winslow and Bruce Taylor. Taylor led the team with 15.5 tackles for loss and was second with six sacks. He also had 91 tackles.

The defense had a shaky start a year ago, which led to the Hokies 0-2 record, but rallied to finish tops in the conference. If the front line can get adjusted quickly, Virginia Tech has the talent to continue to be the league's elite defense.

[h2][/h2]
[h2]A Conference Title Weekend What-If[/h2][h4]By Paul Myerberg   //   Jul 22, 2011[/h4]
Arizona State is the de facto favorite, based on the number of returning starters, the way the team ended last season and the thought that after three years of scuffling along the time is now for Dennis Erickson and the Sun Devils. Arizona was briefly counted out but is now back in, seeing that wide receiver Juron Criner is back in the fold following a brief scare. Utah’s the new guy, the unknown with a sterling resume of success at one of college football’s non-B.C.S. conference levels. Then there’s U.S.C.: you remember the Trojans, right?

Competitive balance is alive in well in the Pac-12 South, where four teams can make a distinct claim to the being the division’s best and two other teams can make at least a slight claim to being in the mix. No, not even the most positive-thinking U.C.L.A. fan among us can say that the Bruins are built for a B.C.S. run, but stranger things have happened. Colorado fared well enough without Dan Hawkins in 2010 to say that a mere coaching change is all the Buffaloes need to return to their winning ways.

Is there another B.C.S. conference division with greater competitiveness? Well, the SEC West has an argument: L.S.U. and Alabama are national title contenders, with Arkansas and Mississippi State not too far behind that pair. So let me rephrase: Is there another B.C.S. conference division more up for grabs without at least one team that will be in the national championship picture?

That drops the SEC West from the conversation, as well as the Big Ten Legends division, a group led by Nebraska. The Pac-12 South has four primary contenders: four teams that will hover around seven to nine wins, perhaps squeezing into the bottom fifth of the Top 25 but not, when push comes to shove, making a regular season run for a B.C.S. bowl.

Is this a good thing? There are two sides to the argument. One could say that increased competition is the byproduct of the conference’s division split, in that a 5-4 Pac-12 record doesn’t automatically spell a mid-league finish. Now, 5-4 might earn an Arizona State or Utah a spot against Oregon or Stanford in the Pac-12’s inaugural championship game.

One could also say that a deep division without a national contender could lead to a situation like the one the Big 12 experienced for much of the last decade: a Kansas State, Colorado, Nebraska or Missouri would win the North before being overrun by Texas or Oklahoma in Arrowhead Stadium. That scenario wasn’t good for the North or the South, as it belittled the former division while diminishing the resume of the latter. The conference as a whole suffered.

So it could be said that an Oregon or Stanford, should push come to shove, would suffer from a Pac-12 South that fails to put forth a nationally-ranked, well-regarded opponent. Consider this scenario: Oregon, Florida State and Alabama are undefeated heading into conference championship weekend. Florida State beats 11-1 Virginia Tech, Alabama beats 10-2 South Carolina and Oregon tops 8-4 Utah. If all teams are equal in the polls — each team is right around the same level in the B.C.S. standings — which pair do you think gets a late push into the B.C.S. National Championship Game?

It’s Alabama and Florida State, of course, and Oregon is left out in the cold. That’s a nightmare scenario for the Pac-12 in 2011. Does it always have to be this way? No, and it won’t be this way for long. U.S.C. will be back. Arizona State has a nice crop of young talent. Arizona has turned a corner. U.C.L.A. just needs a coach. And Utah, in my opinion, could make a Virginia Tech-like splash in their new digs.

For this season, however, the mid-level occupants of the Pac-12 South are going to tussle around in the seven, eight, nine-win range. And while that should provide for an interesting November as the top four teams fight for division supremacy, it doesn’t look like a great thing for the conference at large.

LB Kellen Jones and OL Christian Pace are not part of Michigan football program anymore.

Pace suffered a nasty leg injury and has no future playing football.

Jones apparently made a bad decision and the coaches felt he wasn't cut out for life in Ann Arbor.

WOTS is it was a sexually related matter with a female. Nothing has confirmed that though.

LB Kellen Jones and OL Christian Pace are not part of Michigan football program anymore.

Pace suffered a nasty leg injury and has no future playing football.

Jones apparently made a bad decision and the coaches felt he wasn't cut out for life in Ann Arbor.

WOTS is it was a sexually related matter with a female. Nothing has confirmed that though.

That's too bad...

Feel for Christian.
tired.gif

Regarding Kellen, at least we have 4 solid commits @ LB in this class.  What a way to ruin your life before it even started, though.
30t6p3b.gif

And Shane Morris is special.
pimp.gif

That's too bad...

Feel for Christian.
tired.gif

Regarding Kellen, at least we have 4 solid commits @ LB in this class.  What a way to ruin your life before it even started, though.
30t6p3b.gif

And Shane Morris is special.
pimp.gif

Kellen Jones had quite a few concussions too I believe so who knows if that would have affected him down the line.

Kellen Jones had quite a few concussions too I believe so who knows if that would have affected him down the line.

[h1]Las Vegas Hilton releases college football regular season win totals for 35 teams[/h1]
By beyondthebets On July 24, 2011 · /beyondthebets.com/?p=7089">http://beyondthebets.com/?p=7089">Leave a Comment

The Las Vegas Hilton sportsbook released its college football win totals on Sunday. The superbook put out over/unders for 34 real teams and one crappy team, the UNLV Rebels, for a total of 35 teams overall.

Shout out to Covers.com’s David Payne, who put an end to our long and miserable (and painful) three-week wait for the totals by being the first to publish these god forsaken things.

Here are the over/unders for each team, sorted by conference:

ACC

Virginia Tech 10

Florida State 9.5 -130 (over)

North Carolina 8 -130 (over)

Miami 8 -120 (under)

BIG EAST

West Virginia 9.5 -140 (under)

BIG TEN

Nebraska 9.5 -140 (over)

Wisconsin 9.5 -120 (over)

Penn St 7.5 -155 (over)