2011 NBA MVP Thread

where would the hornets have been without the 1 legged chris paul?

So many people in this thread have no logic. Thankfully they'll probably never make any decisions that matter.

So many people in this thread have no logic. Thankfully they'll probably never make any decisions that matter.

russy
pimp.gif
he's doing what rose is doing without the hype.

Originally Posted by AntBanks81

Originally Posted by Mjvskb24vs23

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

So the player who deserves MVP is the one with the best narrative? Because that second assertion is partly true, but it really shouldn't matter much because preseason expectations should have no bearing on the criterion for an individual achievement award.

Fact is Chicago wins because of their top ranked defense and rebounding, two categories where Rose doesn't deserve much credit relative to his team. Where Rose does deserve credit is regarding their mediocre offense, where his volume shooting and below average assist to turnover rate has Chicago in a three-way tie for 12th best offense. Oh, and stop saying he's done it without Boozer or Noah for most of the season, they've both played in more than half of Chicago's games. Besides, Chicago is one of the deepest teams in the league, they have 7 quality rotation players.
Preach!!

LMAO

Noah at 41 games and Boozer with 49....out of 72

Please tell me which of the other MVP candidates would have their teams on the same pace having two of their starters miss that many games?????

I'll help you ...NONE...we were missing our second leading scorer and our leading rebounder/energy/hypeman and despite all that stayed the course and rose to the top (pun intended)

You're not telling the whole story, though.
Celtics had Perkins missing for probably more than half of the time he was there until he was traded. Both Oneals out.

Also ya'll were lucky Miami started off horribly and then had that grip of games after the all-star game where they lost like 5 in a row.

Originally Posted by AntBanks81

Originally Posted by Mjvskb24vs23

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

So the player who deserves MVP is the one with the best narrative? Because that second assertion is partly true, but it really shouldn't matter much because preseason expectations should have no bearing on the criterion for an individual achievement award.

Fact is Chicago wins because of their top ranked defense and rebounding, two categories where Rose doesn't deserve much credit relative to his team. Where Rose does deserve credit is regarding their mediocre offense, where his volume shooting and below average assist to turnover rate has Chicago in a three-way tie for 12th best offense. Oh, and stop saying he's done it without Boozer or Noah for most of the season, they've both played in more than half of Chicago's games. Besides, Chicago is one of the deepest teams in the league, they have 7 quality rotation players.
Preach!!

LMAO

Noah at 41 games and Boozer with 49....out of 72

Please tell me which of the other MVP candidates would have their teams on the same pace having two of their starters miss that many games?????

I'll help you ...NONE...we were missing our second leading scorer and our leading rebounder/energy/hypeman and despite all that stayed the course and rose to the top (pun intended)

You're not telling the whole story, though.
Celtics had Perkins missing for probably more than half of the time he was there until he was traded. Both Oneals out.

Also ya'll were lucky Miami started off horribly and then had that grip of games after the all-star game where they lost like 5 in a row.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

So it's Westbrook's fault he plays with another superstar scorer and Rose doesn't?

And if you wanna play the down-the-stretch game, Westbrook is every bit as productive as Rose in the clutch.
No, not his fault, but CLEARLY that comes into play when you discuss these kinds of things.

Ok, great, he's as productive as Rose, but you didn't answer my question, who gets the ball to close the game for each team? Also, if Westbrook shares SOME of the load at the end of the game and is as productive as Rose, how many times does he have actually the ball in his hands come clutch time? Also, do teams not expect it to go to D. Rose? I mean, really? Teams know it can go to Durant (1) or Westbrook (2) ...

So it's Westbrook's fault he plays with another superstar scorer and Rose doesn't?

And if you wanna play the down-the-stretch game, Westbrook is every bit as productive as Rose in the clutch.
No, not his fault, but CLEARLY that comes into play when you discuss these kinds of things.

Ok, great, he's as productive as Rose, but you didn't answer my question, who gets the ball to close the game for each team? Also, if Westbrook shares SOME of the load at the end of the game and is as productive as Rose, how many times does he have actually the ball in his hands come clutch time? Also, do teams not expect it to go to D. Rose? I mean, really? Teams know it can go to Durant (1) or Westbrook (2) ...

[h1]If Derrick Rose Didn't Shoot as Much Would He Have a Shot at MVP?[/h1]
Spoiler [+]
http://www.huffingtonpost...-didnt-sho_b_826200.html

Rose is currently taking 20.2 field goal attempts per game. Only two players in the league -- Monta Ellis and Kobe Bryant -- have attempted more field goals this season. And for the season he has taken nearly 300 more shots from the field than Luol Deng, the player who ranks second on the Bulls in shot attempts.
Of course, Rose is the team's point guard so he has a great deal of influence on who gets to shoot. But let's imagine that Rose decided to take just six fewer shots a game.

Rose currently has an effective field goal percentage of 0.488. Kyle Korver, Carlos Boozer, Kurt Thomas, Keith Bogans, Joakim Noah, and Luol Deng are all more efficient from the field than Rose. So if Rose let just let one of these teammates take three of his shots each half, it seems unlikely the Bulls would be worse off.

After all, many of these players have taken more shots per game (at similar levels of shooting efficiency) for other teams in the past. So it seems likely that Rose passing the ball a bit more often wouldn't cause the number of games won by the Bulls to decline.

But Rose's scoring per game would clearly decline. If Rose took six fewer field goal attempts per game, his scoring per game (given his current level of shooting efficiency) would decline from 24.9 to 19.0.

In this scenario, the Bulls would probably still be just as successful on the court. But since Boozer scores more than 19.0 points per game, Rose would no longer be the leading scorer on the team. And if Rose is not the leading scorer on this team, would Rose still be an MVP candidate?

It is still possible he might. Steve Nash won two MVP awards without leading his team in scoring. And if Rose passed more often, he might finish with as many assists as Nash (Rose would need to average two or three more assist per game to match Nash's performance during his MVP season). But although voters have rewarded a passer in the past, more often than not it is scoring that attracts the attention of the media.

So if Rose wants to win this award -- and yes, he said he did -- then he would be wise to keep focusing on his shot attempts and his scoring. The media, though, would be wise to ask themselves the following question: Should Rose's decision to give himself more shots at the expense of his teammates be rewarded?
Rose still gets props tho. MIP imo.
laugh.gif

[h1]If Derrick Rose Didn't Shoot as Much Would He Have a Shot at MVP?[/h1]
Spoiler [+]
http://www.huffingtonpost...-didnt-sho_b_826200.html

Rose is currently taking 20.2 field goal attempts per game. Only two players in the league -- Monta Ellis and Kobe Bryant -- have attempted more field goals this season. And for the season he has taken nearly 300 more shots from the field than Luol Deng, the player who ranks second on the Bulls in shot attempts.
Of course, Rose is the team's point guard so he has a great deal of influence on who gets to shoot. But let's imagine that Rose decided to take just six fewer shots a game.

Rose currently has an effective field goal percentage of 0.488. Kyle Korver, Carlos Boozer, Kurt Thomas, Keith Bogans, Joakim Noah, and Luol Deng are all more efficient from the field than Rose. So if Rose let just let one of these teammates take three of his shots each half, it seems unlikely the Bulls would be worse off.

After all, many of these players have taken more shots per game (at similar levels of shooting efficiency) for other teams in the past. So it seems likely that Rose passing the ball a bit more often wouldn't cause the number of games won by the Bulls to decline.

But Rose's scoring per game would clearly decline. If Rose took six fewer field goal attempts per game, his scoring per game (given his current level of shooting efficiency) would decline from 24.9 to 19.0.

In this scenario, the Bulls would probably still be just as successful on the court. But since Boozer scores more than 19.0 points per game, Rose would no longer be the leading scorer on the team. And if Rose is not the leading scorer on this team, would Rose still be an MVP candidate?

It is still possible he might. Steve Nash won two MVP awards without leading his team in scoring. And if Rose passed more often, he might finish with as many assists as Nash (Rose would need to average two or three more assist per game to match Nash's performance during his MVP season). But although voters have rewarded a passer in the past, more often than not it is scoring that attracts the attention of the media.

So if Rose wants to win this award -- and yes, he said he did -- then he would be wise to keep focusing on his shot attempts and his scoring. The media, though, would be wise to ask themselves the following question: Should Rose's decision to give himself more shots at the expense of his teammates be rewarded?
Rose still gets props tho. MIP imo.
laugh.gif

KingJames23 wrote:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...a=X&ei=xQOQTZCYMIOI0QGqlICiCw&ved=0CBgQ9QEwBA
kevin-hart.jpg
SAY IT WIT YA CHEST!!! You need to name names to that WE will know.

Celtics were #1 without Perkins and then made the decision to dump him because of money. The O'Neal brothers were known to be injury problems prior to signing. I can hardly even remember JO playing. Rondo, Garnett, Pierce and Allen, this team would not be in the same position if you were missing two of the four for 30 games.

Miami started off horribly because they didn't have time to mesh together in the preseason....but they still were pitiful when you look at who they had on the floor. If any two of the big three were out for 30 games, the only one that might have them on course would be Bron. Wade and Bosh would not have carried this team because they have no bench. Just a bunch of shooters relying on the penetration of their two superstars.

You can say the same for all of the other teams with MVP candidates. If Kobe didn't have Gasol and LO for 30 games, their record would have been affected, but they would still have a top four seed for being the division winner.

Dwight is really the #2 in my book. His team changed completely, but I would say they would still be a playoff team.  

As I said earlier, and no one has responded to it, take all 16 playoff teams and take off two starters for 30 games each and realistically tell me if their primary player would have them in the same position as they are in now (f the expectations)

KingJames23 wrote:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...a=X&ei=xQOQTZCYMIOI0QGqlICiCw&ved=0CBgQ9QEwBA
kevin-hart.jpg
SAY IT WIT YA CHEST!!! You need to name names to that WE will know.

Celtics were #1 without Perkins and then made the decision to dump him because of money. The O'Neal brothers were known to be injury problems prior to signing. I can hardly even remember JO playing. Rondo, Garnett, Pierce and Allen, this team would not be in the same position if you were missing two of the four for 30 games.

Miami started off horribly because they didn't have time to mesh together in the preseason....but they still were pitiful when you look at who they had on the floor. If any two of the big three were out for 30 games, the only one that might have them on course would be Bron. Wade and Bosh would not have carried this team because they have no bench. Just a bunch of shooters relying on the penetration of their two superstars.

You can say the same for all of the other teams with MVP candidates. If Kobe didn't have Gasol and LO for 30 games, their record would have been affected, but they would still have a top four seed for being the division winner.

Dwight is really the #2 in my book. His team changed completely, but I would say they would still be a playoff team.  

As I said earlier, and no one has responded to it, take all 16 playoff teams and take off two starters for 30 games each and realistically tell me if their primary player would have them in the same position as they are in now (f the expectations)

Originally Posted by mYToAsterspeak

Who listens to that clown? I turn the tv whenever dude is on. Love Westbrook, but he can not break people down like Rose, plus Rose has "it". It's kinda like comparing Big Pun and Biggie. Big Pun was nice and could probably stand toe to toe with Big, but Big had "it".

This.

MVP isn't about who is the best on paper....It's more than that.
We get it guys Westbrook = D.Rose on the stat sheets.

There's a quantitative as well as qualitative factor. D.Rose has a compelling story for why he should be MVP which has been iterated in this thread numerous times.

Originally Posted by mYToAsterspeak

Who listens to that clown? I turn the tv whenever dude is on. Love Westbrook, but he can not break people down like Rose, plus Rose has "it". It's kinda like comparing Big Pun and Biggie. Big Pun was nice and could probably stand toe to toe with Big, but Big had "it".

This.

MVP isn't about who is the best on paper....It's more than that.
We get it guys Westbrook = D.Rose on the stat sheets.

There's a quantitative as well as qualitative factor. D.Rose has a compelling story for why he should be MVP which has been iterated in this thread numerous times.

Originally Posted by itsaboutthattime

They would be pretty !@%#*+, but no way Chicago would be in the top 4 in the east if they didn't have Rose.
That > what CP is doing

Originally Posted by itsaboutthattime

They would be pretty !@%#*+, but no way Chicago would be in the top 4 in the east if they didn't have Rose.
That > what CP is doing

But it's Derrick's fault that "you" basketball fans didn't expect the Bulls to be this good. That's Rose's fault?

It works both ways.

But it's Derrick's fault that "you" basketball fans didn't expect the Bulls to be this good. That's Rose's fault?

It works both ways.

Back
Top Bottom