2011 NBA MVP Thread

Rozay
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by dland24

For those of you who are dismissing the "if you took player A off of team B" argument.....why? Just because its a hypothetical scenario? Doesnt that hypothetical situation prove how valuable the player truly is to his team? I dont think it should be the end all, deciding argument....but I definitely think it is a valid point to make.

Hypotheticals don't prove anything, because they're hypothetical. 
Negative proof logical fallacy

There are superior ways to evaluate and quantify a player's value to a a team, rather than attempt to intuit how successful a team would be without it's best player. Using a hypothetical as any type support for an argument is sheer folly.

Originally Posted by dland24

For those of you who are dismissing the "if you took player A off of team B" argument.....why? Just because its a hypothetical scenario? Doesnt that hypothetical situation prove how valuable the player truly is to his team? I dont think it should be the end all, deciding argument....but I definitely think it is a valid point to make.

Hypotheticals don't prove anything, because they're hypothetical. 
Negative proof logical fallacy

There are superior ways to evaluate and quantify a player's value to a a team, rather than attempt to intuit how successful a team would be without it's best player. Using a hypothetical as any type support for an argument is sheer folly.

I think a MVP should play very good or great defense while being great elsewhere (Nash should've never won the MVP
laugh.gif
)

So it's Dwight with LeBron second the way I see it. I'd like to see Dwight's team make a push after tonight's game.

I don't get all this D. Rose nonsense as if he's the clear choice. Many of the arguments made for him aren't unique to him or that good. He's definitely better but all that if he wasn't on the team an injuries apply the same to Dwight. Look at his #2 scoring option.

I think a MVP should play very good or great defense while being great elsewhere (Nash should've never won the MVP
laugh.gif
)

So it's Dwight with LeBron second the way I see it. I'd like to see Dwight's team make a push after tonight's game.

I don't get all this D. Rose nonsense as if he's the clear choice. Many of the arguments made for him aren't unique to him or that good. He's definitely better but all that if he wasn't on the team an injuries apply the same to Dwight. Look at his #2 scoring option.

From ESPN as of 3/2/2011

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]1. Derrick Rose
Chicago Bulls
[/td][td]G[/td][td]MIN[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][td]STL[/td][td]BLK[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]AST[/td][td]PTS[/td][td]PER[/td][/tr][tr][td]57[/td][td]37.8[/td][td].445[/td][td].347[/td][td].842[/td][td]1.0[/td][td]0.6[/td][td]4.4[/td][td]8.1[/td][td]24.8[/td][td]23.2[/td][/tr][tr][td]Rose has Miami's Juwan Howard's vote: "If you take LeBron off our team, I think we'll still be an above-average ballclub, because we'll still have Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh." (Last week: 2 | Team record: 41-17) [/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]2. LeBron James
Miami Heat
[/td][td]G[/td][td]MIN[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][td]STL[/td][td]BLK[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]AST[/td][td]PTS[/td][td]PER[/td][/tr][tr][td]58[/td][td]38.3[/td][td].488[/td][td].338[/td][td].758[/td][td]1.6[/td][td]0.6[/td][td]7.5[/td][td]7.2[/td][td]26.2[/td][td]26.7[/td][/tr][tr][td]Chris Bosh's, too: "Derrick has had a phenomenal season. Just looking at what he has done with the team and their record, I think I would give it to Derrick if I were a voter." (Last week: 1 | Team record: 43-17) [/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]3. Dwight Howard
Orlando Magic
[/td][td]G[/td][td]MIN[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][td]STL[/td][td]BLK[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]AST[/td][td]PTS[/td][td]PER[/td][/tr][tr][td]58[/td][td]36.8[/td][td].597[/td][td].000[/td][td].589[/td][td]1.3[/td][td]2.2[/td][td]13.8[/td][td]1.2[/td][td]23.2[/td][td]26.6[/td][/tr][tr][td]Patrick Ewing would choose Dwight: "If we were to lose Dwight, we'd be at the bottom of the barrel. He's the MVP on this team. He's the most important player on this team, and he's proven it night in and night out." (Last week: 4 | Team record: 38-22) [/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]4. Dirk Nowitzki
Dallas Mavs
[/td][td]G[/td][td]MIN[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][td]STL[/td][td]BLK[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]AST[/td][td]PTS[/td][td]PER[/td][/tr][tr][td]50[/td][td]34.2[/td][td].524[/td][td].427[/td][td].870[/td][td]0.6[/td][td]0.7[/td][td]6.7[/td][td]2.5[/td][td]22.8[/td][td]23.7[/td][/tr][tr][td]Doug Collins likes Dirk: "You have to consider him in the MVP voting in the league in terms of what he does for his team. When he wasn't playing they couldn't win." (Last week: 3 | Team record: 43-16) [/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]5. Kobe Bryant
Los Angeles Lakers
[/td][td]G[/td][td]MIN[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][td]STL[/td][td]BLK[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]AST[/td][td]PTS[/td][td]PER[/td][/tr][tr][td]61[/td][td]33.9[/td][td].460[/td][td].320[/td][td].828[/td][td]1.2[/td][td]0.1[/td][td]5.3[/td][td]4.9[/td][td]25.1[/td][td]24.2[/td][/tr][tr][td]Kobe is passing legend after legend on the all-time scoring list, knocking off Hayes, Havlicek, Wilkins, Robertson and Olajuwon to move into seventh in NBA history. (Last week: 6 | Team record: 42-19) [/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]6. Kevin Durant
Oklahoma City Thunder
[/td][td]G[/td][td]MIN[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][td]STL[/td][td]BLK[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]AST[/td][td]PTS[/td][td]PER[/td][/tr][tr][td]54[/td][td]39.6[/td][td].464[/td][td].335[/td][td].872[/td][td]1.1[/td][td]1.0[/td][td]7.2[/td][td]2.8[/td][td]28.5[/td][td]23.7[/td][/tr][tr][td]"I don't think I have a chance at [the MVP]," Durant said. "I think people like the new person. I think my year to try to win it was last year. I'm not new anymore." (Last week: 8 | Team record: 36-22) [/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]7. Dwyane Wade
Miami Heat
[/td][td]G[/td][td]MIN[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][td]STL[/td][td]BLK[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]AST[/td][td]PTS[/td][td]PER[/td][/tr][tr][td]56[/td][td]37.3[/td][td].500[/td][td].313[/td][td].731[/td][td]1.4[/td][td]0.9[/td][td]6.9[/td][td]4.4[/td][td]25.5[/td][td]25.2[/td][/tr][tr][td]After getting shut down by the Knicks, Wade bounced back to torch the Wizards for 41 points and followed that up with a 34-point outing in a road loss against the Bulls. (Last week: 7 | Team record: 43-17) [/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]8. Rajon Rondo
Boston Celtics
[/td][td]G[/td][td]MIN[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][td]STL[/td][td]BLK[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]AST[/td][td]PTS[/td][td]PER[/td][/tr][tr][td]47[/td][td]37.8[/td][td].508[/td][td].323[/td][td].544[/td][td]2.4[/td][td]0.1[/td][td]4.5[/td][td]12.1[/td][td]10.9[/td][td]18.2[/td][/tr][tr][td]On a team with four All-Stars, Rondo, who leads the league in assists and is second in steals, has emerged as the most valuable player on the East-leading Celtics. (Last week: 10 | Team record: 43-15) [/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]9. Chris Paul
New Orleans Hornets
[/td][td]G[/td][td]MIN[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][td]STL[/td][td]BLK[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]AST[/td][td]PTS[/td][td]PER[/td][/tr][tr][td]61[/td][td]35.9[/td][td].470[/td][td].423[/td][td].893[/td][td]2.4[/td][td]0.0[/td][td]3.9[/td][td]9.6[/td][td]16.1[/td][td]24.3[/td][/tr][tr][td]Paul is first in the NBA in steals, fourth in assists, fifth in PER and 11th in double-doubles for a Hornets team that has the third-stingiest defense (92.6 points per game). (Last week: 9 | Team record: 35-26) [/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]10. LaMarcus Aldridge
Portland Blazers
[/td][td]G[/td][td]MIN[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][td]STL[/td][td]BLK[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]AST[/td][td]PTS[/td][td]PER[/td][/tr][tr][td]59[/td][td]39.7[/td][td].499[/td][td].188[/td][td].789[/td][td]1.2[/td][td]1.3[/td][td]9.1[/td][td]2.1[/td][td]22.4[/td][td]22.1[/td][/tr][tr][td]The Blazers are playoff contenders and they have Aldridge to thank for it. Help is on the way. Portland traded for Gerald Wallace and Brandon Roy is back from injury. (Last week: NR | Team record: 33-26) [/td][/tr][/table]

I have the exact same top 3. 

From ESPN as of 3/2/2011

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]1. Derrick Rose
Chicago Bulls
[/td][td]G[/td][td]MIN[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][td]STL[/td][td]BLK[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]AST[/td][td]PTS[/td][td]PER[/td][/tr][tr][td]57[/td][td]37.8[/td][td].445[/td][td].347[/td][td].842[/td][td]1.0[/td][td]0.6[/td][td]4.4[/td][td]8.1[/td][td]24.8[/td][td]23.2[/td][/tr][tr][td]Rose has Miami's Juwan Howard's vote: "If you take LeBron off our team, I think we'll still be an above-average ballclub, because we'll still have Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh." (Last week: 2 | Team record: 41-17) [/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]2. LeBron James
Miami Heat
[/td][td]G[/td][td]MIN[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][td]STL[/td][td]BLK[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]AST[/td][td]PTS[/td][td]PER[/td][/tr][tr][td]58[/td][td]38.3[/td][td].488[/td][td].338[/td][td].758[/td][td]1.6[/td][td]0.6[/td][td]7.5[/td][td]7.2[/td][td]26.2[/td][td]26.7[/td][/tr][tr][td]Chris Bosh's, too: "Derrick has had a phenomenal season. Just looking at what he has done with the team and their record, I think I would give it to Derrick if I were a voter." (Last week: 1 | Team record: 43-17) [/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]3. Dwight Howard
Orlando Magic
[/td][td]G[/td][td]MIN[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][td]STL[/td][td]BLK[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]AST[/td][td]PTS[/td][td]PER[/td][/tr][tr][td]58[/td][td]36.8[/td][td].597[/td][td].000[/td][td].589[/td][td]1.3[/td][td]2.2[/td][td]13.8[/td][td]1.2[/td][td]23.2[/td][td]26.6[/td][/tr][tr][td]Patrick Ewing would choose Dwight: "If we were to lose Dwight, we'd be at the bottom of the barrel. He's the MVP on this team. He's the most important player on this team, and he's proven it night in and night out." (Last week: 4 | Team record: 38-22) [/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]4. Dirk Nowitzki
Dallas Mavs
[/td][td]G[/td][td]MIN[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][td]STL[/td][td]BLK[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]AST[/td][td]PTS[/td][td]PER[/td][/tr][tr][td]50[/td][td]34.2[/td][td].524[/td][td].427[/td][td].870[/td][td]0.6[/td][td]0.7[/td][td]6.7[/td][td]2.5[/td][td]22.8[/td][td]23.7[/td][/tr][tr][td]Doug Collins likes Dirk: "You have to consider him in the MVP voting in the league in terms of what he does for his team. When he wasn't playing they couldn't win." (Last week: 3 | Team record: 43-16) [/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]5. Kobe Bryant
Los Angeles Lakers
[/td][td]G[/td][td]MIN[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][td]STL[/td][td]BLK[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]AST[/td][td]PTS[/td][td]PER[/td][/tr][tr][td]61[/td][td]33.9[/td][td].460[/td][td].320[/td][td].828[/td][td]1.2[/td][td]0.1[/td][td]5.3[/td][td]4.9[/td][td]25.1[/td][td]24.2[/td][/tr][tr][td]Kobe is passing legend after legend on the all-time scoring list, knocking off Hayes, Havlicek, Wilkins, Robertson and Olajuwon to move into seventh in NBA history. (Last week: 6 | Team record: 42-19) [/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]6. Kevin Durant
Oklahoma City Thunder
[/td][td]G[/td][td]MIN[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][td]STL[/td][td]BLK[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]AST[/td][td]PTS[/td][td]PER[/td][/tr][tr][td]54[/td][td]39.6[/td][td].464[/td][td].335[/td][td].872[/td][td]1.1[/td][td]1.0[/td][td]7.2[/td][td]2.8[/td][td]28.5[/td][td]23.7[/td][/tr][tr][td]"I don't think I have a chance at [the MVP]," Durant said. "I think people like the new person. I think my year to try to win it was last year. I'm not new anymore." (Last week: 8 | Team record: 36-22) [/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]7. Dwyane Wade
Miami Heat
[/td][td]G[/td][td]MIN[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][td]STL[/td][td]BLK[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]AST[/td][td]PTS[/td][td]PER[/td][/tr][tr][td]56[/td][td]37.3[/td][td].500[/td][td].313[/td][td].731[/td][td]1.4[/td][td]0.9[/td][td]6.9[/td][td]4.4[/td][td]25.5[/td][td]25.2[/td][/tr][tr][td]After getting shut down by the Knicks, Wade bounced back to torch the Wizards for 41 points and followed that up with a 34-point outing in a road loss against the Bulls. (Last week: 7 | Team record: 43-17) [/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]8. Rajon Rondo
Boston Celtics
[/td][td]G[/td][td]MIN[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][td]STL[/td][td]BLK[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]AST[/td][td]PTS[/td][td]PER[/td][/tr][tr][td]47[/td][td]37.8[/td][td].508[/td][td].323[/td][td].544[/td][td]2.4[/td][td]0.1[/td][td]4.5[/td][td]12.1[/td][td]10.9[/td][td]18.2[/td][/tr][tr][td]On a team with four All-Stars, Rondo, who leads the league in assists and is second in steals, has emerged as the most valuable player on the East-leading Celtics. (Last week: 10 | Team record: 43-15) [/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]9. Chris Paul
New Orleans Hornets
[/td][td]G[/td][td]MIN[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][td]STL[/td][td]BLK[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]AST[/td][td]PTS[/td][td]PER[/td][/tr][tr][td]61[/td][td]35.9[/td][td].470[/td][td].423[/td][td].893[/td][td]2.4[/td][td]0.0[/td][td]3.9[/td][td]9.6[/td][td]16.1[/td][td]24.3[/td][/tr][tr][td]Paul is first in the NBA in steals, fourth in assists, fifth in PER and 11th in double-doubles for a Hornets team that has the third-stingiest defense (92.6 points per game). (Last week: 9 | Team record: 35-26) [/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]10. LaMarcus Aldridge
Portland Blazers
[/td][td]G[/td][td]MIN[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][td]STL[/td][td]BLK[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]AST[/td][td]PTS[/td][td]PER[/td][/tr][tr][td]59[/td][td]39.7[/td][td].499[/td][td].188[/td][td].789[/td][td]1.2[/td][td]1.3[/td][td]9.1[/td][td]2.1[/td][td]22.4[/td][td]22.1[/td][/tr][tr][td]The Blazers are playoff contenders and they have Aldridge to thank for it. Help is on the way. Portland traded for Gerald Wallace and Brandon Roy is back from injury. (Last week: NR | Team record: 33-26) [/td][/tr][/table]

I have the exact same top 3. 

I hear ya on the Dwight hype, I feel ya, but to me, Nash set the precedent.  You can do average numbers, and win MVP, 2 years straight in fact. 

Nash had an elite offense
Rose has an elite defense. 

Those get them the team wins that qualify them for "MVP" status. 

Maybe now people will start to see why I was screaming about Stockton, or Kidd, or Payton never winning, and now Paul and Deron have been left out, but Nash got the award twice. 
30t6p3b.gif
  Rose is doin better work now then what Nash was, and in fact, he's doing it during a more difficult time.  Nash did it when Paul and Deron and the like were all kids, there weren't really any elite PG's in the game.  Rose is doing this now, with PG's EVERYWHERE in the league doin well.   That's more impressive imo then his offense made a lot of 3's. 
eyes.gif

I hear ya on the Dwight hype, I feel ya, but to me, Nash set the precedent.  You can do average numbers, and win MVP, 2 years straight in fact. 

Nash had an elite offense
Rose has an elite defense. 

Those get them the team wins that qualify them for "MVP" status. 

Maybe now people will start to see why I was screaming about Stockton, or Kidd, or Payton never winning, and now Paul and Deron have been left out, but Nash got the award twice. 
30t6p3b.gif
  Rose is doin better work now then what Nash was, and in fact, he's doing it during a more difficult time.  Nash did it when Paul and Deron and the like were all kids, there weren't really any elite PG's in the game.  Rose is doing this now, with PG's EVERYWHERE in the league doin well.   That's more impressive imo then his offense made a lot of 3's. 
eyes.gif

Not rose, hes too new and although he's upcoming he doesn't deserve it just like he didn't deserve memphis

Not rose, hes too new and although he's upcoming he doesn't deserve it just like he didn't deserve memphis

Originally Posted by Bruce Waynee

Rose was 5-21 with 6 TOs tonight blowing a lead to the Hawks.

WELL DAMN ITS SETTLED THEN , NO MVP FOR ROSE!!!!

btw he had 12 assist . and the bulls have dropped to a WOMPING 41-18.

Originally Posted by Bruce Waynee

Rose was 5-21 with 6 TOs tonight blowing a lead to the Hawks.

WELL DAMN ITS SETTLED THEN , NO MVP FOR ROSE!!!!

btw he had 12 assist . and the bulls have dropped to a WOMPING 41-18.

I'm not saying that he's dropped out of the running, or even the "lead."  Just seems like when LeBron has a bad game some like to put it under the microscope and evaluate how it's going to effect his MVP candidacy.

Just doing the same here.

I'm not saying that he's dropped out of the running, or even the "lead."  Just seems like when LeBron has a bad game some like to put it under the microscope and evaluate how it's going to effect his MVP candidacy.

Just doing the same here.

Back
Top Bottom