2011 NBA MVP Thread

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

if wade couldnt get the mvp 2 years ago when lebron got his 1st, i dont see how rose can get it now...
wade.. 30.2points, 7.5ast, 5.0reb, 2.2stl, 1.3blks.... carried the team from 15 wins to 5th in the east, can you guys even remember who wade was playing with in 08-09?
rose.. 24.9points, 8.2ast, 4.4reb, 1.0stl, .7blks...
Nobody is going to win, nor deserves to win an MVP if their team wins 43 games, as was the case when Wade posted the averages you referred to. No matter the players' averages, no matter how terrible the supporting cast around the player is, not even if the squad went winless the season prior. You won 43 games.

if wade couldnt get the mvp 2 years ago when lebron got his 1st, i dont see how rose can get it now...
wade.. 30.2points, 7.5ast, 5.0reb, 2.2stl, 1.3blks.... carried the team from 15 wins to 5th in the east, can you guys even remember who wade was playing with in 08-09?
Nobody is going to win, nor deserves to win an MVP if their team wins 43 games, as was the case when Wade posted the averages you referred to. No matter the players' averages, no matter how terrible the supporting cast around the player is, not even if the squad went winless the season prior. You won 43 games.

Originally Posted by alexanderfasto

It has to be D.Rose...
Given the fact that LeBron is the best player, he's still playing with 2 other All Stars and yet they still don't have the best record, Heat has already lost 4 in a row this year...

For Chicago, despite the fact that we still haven't seen this team at 100% really scares me (it's either up or down for them when Noah returns) But look at the Bulls this year.. 

As a Bulls fan I've seen D.Rose improved every year, and I think in my opinion Bulls is just 1 player away from being the best team in the East..
I wholeheartedly agree....I just don't know what piece we are missing. Maybe a shooter?

Originally Posted by alexanderfasto

It has to be D.Rose...
Given the fact that LeBron is the best player, he's still playing with 2 other All Stars and yet they still don't have the best record, Heat has already lost 4 in a row this year...

For Chicago, despite the fact that we still haven't seen this team at 100% really scares me (it's either up or down for them when Noah returns) But look at the Bulls this year.. 

As a Bulls fan I've seen D.Rose improved every year, and I think in my opinion Bulls is just 1 player away from being the best team in the East..
I wholeheartedly agree....I just don't know what piece we are missing. Maybe a shooter?

Originally Posted by Rolaholic

Originally Posted by SneakerPro

I can't wait until the Heat put the Bulls out of the playoffs and Chicago fans can finally shut up about D-Rose

Fixed 
grin.gif

Wade's going to take votes away from Bron.

No he's not. At least he won't be given 1st and 2nd place MVP votes ahead of Bron. The people who will be voting for the MVP aren't some kids from a forum saying that LeBron is Wade's Pippen. No one among serious NBA analysts actually thinks that Wade is the MVP of the Heat based on the season so far.

And Rose is a strong candidate, he really surprised me because I didn't think that he would still be a serious MVP candidate this deep into the season. But on the Internets forums, people always use the latest game of a player to capitalize and now after his performance against the Spurs, Rose looks extra good.

People really need to stop talking the utter crap that he has no help. He has a guy who is inches away from averaging 20 and 10. Then he has another 18 ppg scorer. He had Joakim Noah at the start of the season as well, and he'll have him soon again. He has plenty of help. Using the "doing most with the least" logic, there are stronger MVP candidates than Rose.

Wade's going to take votes away from Bron.

No he's not. At least he won't be given 1st and 2nd place MVP votes ahead of Bron. The people who will be voting for the MVP aren't some kids from a forum saying that LeBron is Wade's Pippen. No one among serious NBA analysts actually thinks that Wade is the MVP of the Heat based on the season so far.

And Rose is a strong candidate, he really surprised me because I didn't think that he would still be a serious MVP candidate this deep into the season. But on the Internets forums, people always use the latest game of a player to capitalize and now after his performance against the Spurs, Rose looks extra good.

People really need to stop talking the utter crap that he has no help. He has a guy who is inches away from averaging 20 and 10. Then he has another 18 ppg scorer. He had Joakim Noah at the start of the season as well, and he'll have him soon again. He has plenty of help. Using the "doing most with the least" logic, there are stronger MVP candidates than Rose.

It isn't about them having an opinion of Bron being a Pippen or not. You can legitimately make a case for Wade putting up Mvp numbers as well for the Heat. It's even closer than when Shaq and Kobe were both putting up great numbers but Duncan would end up winning. When you have two great players like that sometimes the writers devalue what they do because they have another elite superstar next to them.

Also don't underestimate the biases that some of these writers carry. If you guys don't believe some of them won't vote Bron down or Rose/Durant/Wade up just because they don't like his Decision and the other guys are more likable, you've just being naive.

And talk about what Rose does have, well I know that he doesn't have another top 3 player and MVP candidate on his squad

It isn't about them having an opinion of Bron being a Pippen or not. You can legitimately make a case for Wade putting up Mvp numbers as well for the Heat. It's even closer than when Shaq and Kobe were both putting up great numbers but Duncan would end up winning. When you have two great players like that sometimes the writers devalue what they do because they have another elite superstar next to them.

Also don't underestimate the biases that some of these writers carry. If you guys don't believe some of them won't vote Bron down or Rose/Durant/Wade up just because they don't like his Decision and the other guys are more likable, you've just being naive.

And talk about what Rose does have, well I know that he doesn't have another top 3 player and MVP candidate on his squad

Wade had better numbers... but his team had just 43 wins.  Bulls have 38 right now and it's just the all star break. 

Wade had better numbers... but his team had just 43 wins.  Bulls have 38 right now and it's just the all star break. 

Originally Posted by RavageBX

For Rose to win it he's got to maintain this torrid pace he's been on for the rest of the season. He can't coast. Bron can coast win it. Bron is just being Bron, only difference is now he's on the Heat. This is the same MVP caliber of play that got him two MVP's on the Cavs. Derrick Rose is playing out of this world but I think we all need to realize that this is not Derrick Rose being Derrick Rose. He's on a tear. If he comes back down to earth even just a bit I think it should go to Bron.
Assuming that Rose is playing "too good" and not playing "like himself." 

Easily the most insulting thing in this whole thread. 
tired.gif
sick.gif
tired.gif

For Rose to win it he's got to maintain this torrid pace he's been on for the rest of the season. He can't coast. Bron can coast win it. Bron is just being Bron, only difference is now he's on the Heat. This is the same MVP caliber of play that got him two MVP's on the Cavs. Derrick Rose is playing out of this world but I think we all need to realize that this is not Derrick Rose being Derrick Rose. He's on a tear. If he comes back down to earth even just a bit I think it should go to Bron.

tired.gif
sick.gif
tired.gif

Originally Posted by amel223

tired.gif
sick.gif
tired.gif
Right now Derrick Rose is playing like a top 2 or 3 player in the league. Do you honestly think he's a top 2 or 3 player?

Originally Posted by amel223

tired.gif
sick.gif
tired.gif
Right now Derrick Rose is playing like a top 2 or 3 player in the league. Do you honestly think he's a top 2 or 3 player?

Originally Posted by thesimplestlife

Originally Posted by KingJames23

Originally Posted by therenegade23

Take James off the Heat. They're still a good and playoff team. Take Rose off the Bulls, they'll be bad. Rose for MVP
pimp.gif

I hate this argument for the MVP so much. But if you want to play that game, look at the Cavs.

I think Bron deserves it (obviously) but I wouldn't be mad if Rose won.

And Bron ain't winning it, after the decision and to make him a back to back to back MVP, no chance in hell.
but that argument is literally what being the most valuable player means. Looking at the Cavs is irrelevant, as Lebron plays for the heat now. Like others have already said, the cavs being bad this year just justifies Lebron winning it the last two years. Rose has been the most valuable player this year, and has been playing the best.

The MVP is about who plays the best ball throughout the year.

If we're talking someone off a team and looking at what they'd be without them, I'd say D12 is the MVP then. That team couldn't score in the paint, grab a board, or defend the paint without him (exaggeration of course but you get the point).

That may be true, but I doubt a lot of people thought the bulls would be this good without Noah and/or Boozer for long stretches of time. At the half way point of the season, Rose has been playing the best ball in the league. If he keeps it up, he should be MVP.

That's fine and if that's why you think he should be the MVP I will listen to that. Reasonable minds can disagree.

Take player x off a team argument is meaningless because it a hypothetical that can't be proven. Awards aren't given out based on what might be or could happen. If that is someone's basis for making Rose the MVP, then I have a problem.

Originally Posted by therenegade23

Take James off the Heat. They're still a good and playoff team. Take Rose off the Bulls, they'll be bad. Rose for MVP
pimp.gif

I hate this argument for the MVP so much. But if you want to play that game, look at the Cavs.

I think Bron deserves it (obviously) but I wouldn't be mad if Rose won.

And Bron ain't winning it, after the decision and to make him a back to back to back MVP, no chance in hell.
but that argument is literally what being the most valuable player means. Looking at the Cavs is irrelevant, as Lebron plays for the heat now. Like others have already said, the cavs being bad this year just justifies Lebron winning it the last two years. Rose has been the most valuable player this year, and has been playing the best.

The MVP is about who plays the best ball throughout the year.

If we're talking someone off a team and looking at what they'd be without them, I'd say D12 is the MVP then. That team couldn't score in the paint, grab a board, or defend the paint without him (exaggeration of course but you get the point).

That may be true, but I doubt a lot of people thought the bulls would be this good without Noah and/or Boozer for long stretches of time. At the half way point of the season, Rose has been playing the best ball in the league. If he keeps it up, he should be MVP.

That's fine and if that's why you think he should be the MVP I will listen to that. Reasonable minds can disagree.

Take player x off a team argument is meaningless because it a hypothetical that can't be proven. Awards aren't given out based on what might be or could happen. If that is someone's basis for making Rose the MVP, then I have a problem.

Rose has been playing the same way all season long.  Averaging a consistent 24/8 from the beginning.  The only thing that 40 and 8 game did was bump up his scoring a point.  Implying that his numbers right now are just due to a season long hot streak is insulting. 

Rose has been playing the same way all season long.  Averaging a consistent 24/8 from the beginning.  The only thing that 40 and 8 game did was bump up his scoring a point.  Implying that his numbers right now are just due to a season long hot streak is insulting. 

@ some people actually thinking rose is a top 2-3 player in this L. for a guy who goes to the basket as much as he does, his efficiency leaves a lot to be desired. he's like westbrook with a 3pt shot (except westbrook is much better at going to the ft line).

however, he should be in the top 2-3 MVP list b/c of how valuable he is to his team.

Back
Top Bottom