**2012-13 "Gentlemanly" NBA PG Discussion Thread**

When it comes to Lin, I don't think we have enough data to honestly gauge him. Can we wait a season?

No we can't with that type of NBA contract comes scrutiny, we've already seen he can't go/finish with his left hand, can't defend, and he turns over the ball at a high rate. A full season will just expose him more

i think when rose come back he will show how he is the best pg in the L.... the bulls have serious problems scoring so he is forced to take control

If Lin wasn't a turnover machine last season then I'd understand people being high on him coming into this season. He can't protect the rock to save his life, and with his limited handles guards are going to be forcing turnovers all the time with him.

You guys put too much emphasis on Lin not having a left hand. There are more than a handful of guys that have had success going one way.

But feel free to criticize every other part of his game

If Lin wasn't a turnover machine last season then I'd understand people being high on him coming into this season. He can't protect the rock to save his life, and with his limited handles guards are going to be forcing turnovers all the time with him.

Just to put things in perspective, here are the PGs who averaged over 3.5 TOs per game (Lin was at 3.6)
Results: 1-50 51-100 101-150 151-200 201-250 251-300 301-350 351-400 401-450 451-478 Next »

PLAYER NAME, TEAM NAME GP MPG AST APG TO TOPG AP48M AST/TO
Deron Williams , NJN
55 36.3 481 8.7 219 4.0 11.6 2.2
John Wall , WAS
66 36.2 530 8.0 255 3.9 10.7 2.08
Kevin Durant , OKC
66 38.6 231 3.5 248 3.8 4.4 .93
Steve Nash , PHX
62 31.6 664 10.7 229 3.7 16.3 2.9
Rajon Rondo , BOS
53 36.9 620 11.7 193 3.6 15.2 3.21
Russell Westbrook , OKC
66 35.3 362 5.5 239 3.6

Williams, Wall, Nash, Rondo, and Westbrook.

ELITE PGs.

Jury is still out on Lin, but lets not act like his high TO rate is anything different than what other guys are doing as well.

Lin's 3.6to is actually misleading because it includes games when he was getting mopup minutes. During his fairy tale ~1 month stretch, he was averaging over 5.

Lin's 3.6to is actually misleading because it includes games when he was getting mopup minutes. During his fairy tale ~1 month stretch, he was averaging over 5.

The 13 games he played in March, he was at 3.8

Lin also likes to drive into the lane and get stuck, which causes turn overs.

Can't go left, can't defend, turns over the ball, drives head down into the lane...

Yes very worthy of that contract.

Aight, I read the first few responses here and it's interesting. I'm gonna read the entire post then P4L, but I have a point right now. At first I was for D Rose to come back this year, the more I thought about it, I changed my mind. For his type of injury and the way he plays, it's better for him and his team that he sit the entire season. The comparison between him and AP isn't a good one. AP doesn't have to jump. He cuts, yeah, but D Rose does that in addition to jumping etc. Like I said, P4L....

Aight, I read the first few responses here and it's interesting. I'm gonna read the entire post then P4L, but I have a point right now. At first I was for D Rose to come back this year, the more I thought about it, I changed my mind. For his type of injury and the way he plays, it's better for him and his team that he sit the entire season. The comparison between him and AP isn't a good one. AP doesn't have to jump. He cuts, yeah, but D Rose does that in addition to jumping etc. Like I said, P4L....

:lol:

I can't wait for the rest of your post later on - assuming it's as good as the one you just did. Pure gold.

Just to put things in perspective, here are the PGs who averaged over 3.5 TOs per game (Lin was at 3.6)
Results: 1-50 51-100 101-150 151-200 201-250 251-300 301-350 351-400 401-450 451-478 Next »

PLAYER NAME, TEAM NAME GP MPG AST APG TO TOPG AP48M AST/TO
Deron Williams , NJN
55 36.3 481 8.7 219 4.0 11.6 2.2
John Wall , WAS
66 36.2 530 8.0 255 3.9 10.7 2.08
Kevin Durant , OKC
66 38.6 231 3.5 248 3.8 4.4 .93
Steve Nash , PHX
62 31.6 664 10.7 229 3.7 16.3 2.9
Rajon Rondo , BOS
53 36.9 620 11.7 193 3.6 15.2 3.21
Russell Westbrook , OKC
66 35.3 362 5.5 239 3.6
Williams, Wall, Nash, Rondo, and Westbrook.

ELITE PGs.

Jury is still out on Lin, but lets not act like his high TO rate is anything different than what other guys are doing as well.
I agree with the overall message of your post, but I couldnt let this slide. Its just not true

This thread LOL.

All Imma say...D-Will is the best PG in the league. No debate

What league are you talking about? This statement was true when he played in that overseas league :lol:

Oh really now? Your SERIOUSLY saying it isn't even debatable? Did you see what he had to play with last season? :x

The last 15-20 games of the season, he was without a doubt the best PG in the league. Deron gets no types of respect!

This thread LOL.

2dbmeexryiim.gif

This thread LOL.

What league are you talking about? This statement was true when he played in that overseas league :lol:

Oh really now? Your SERIOUSLY saying it isn't even debatable? Did you see what he had to play with last season? :x

The last 15-20 games of the season, he was without a doubt the best PG in the league. Deron gets no types of respect!

I say he's top 5 but to say he's number 1 and that's there's no need for debate is blasphemous PG is the deepest position in the NBA no matter who you think is number one your def going to need to explain why, and we can't judge someone of 15 - 20 games Jeremy Lin is proof of that.

All I'ma say is Deron Williams is the most COMPLETE PG in the league.

He can play off the ball (he did a ton of this in Utah, running off screens) or handle the ball (his one stretch with the Nets where he completely handled the rock, he averaged 13 dimes in like 15 games). He can shoot from the outside (and get hot QUICK), drive and finish in traffic/draw fouls + create for teammates. Absolutely underrated playmaker considering what he's played with the last 2 years. He's strong enough to play 2. Pretty good man-to-man defender although no one can really guard PGs. No one really watches him play and this is irrelevant but Deron is thought of as this boring guy who just puts up numbers quietly. Completely wrong. Deron is easily one of the more fiery and emotional competitors in the L and his numbers are never quiet, he goes OFF and comes through in the clutch.

I think it says A LOT that he had the highest scoring game and the highest assist game last year. His shooting percentages have been down recently (mainly cause he takes a ton of 3s) but DWill can ball.

Put him on any team and he'll fit in perfectly regardless of system or personnel.

Plus he crosses the mess out of dudes like THIS on a regular basis :x :x :x

i know his assist numbers on the Nets, doing that with one of the worst teams is an amazing feat in itself :x

Who in the world said that about Lillard? Hahahahah

Man rookies shouldn't even be mentioned in this thread.

Not calling Lin a 1-hit wonder, but I am saying that we need more material from him before giving him a grade/

dude is pretty nasty! you will all see!

R.O.Y. no doubt!

Blazer folk hyping up one of their kids again? Where have I read this story before?
I'm still waiting for Nic Batum to become Scottie Pippen like I was promised 4 years ago.......

As a Blazer fan, Nic Batum will never develop into the player the organization thinks. Been hearing about his "potential" for a few years now and I don't see it. Should have traded him when they had the chance. As for Lillard I think he will be nice, and could be top-10 but Blazers still need a bigger threat at SG for him to be more successful. Wes Matthews belongs as a guy coming of the bench. Should have drafted Lamb instead of Meyers Leonard. I am not expecting anything more than a mediocre year, if we make the playoffs it will be the 7 or 8 position, I would rather suck and get another lottery pick.

Man, I just pray D-Rose comes back 100%. Because I truely believe as of now Deron is the best PG in the league, but a healthy Rose? Man...:x :smokin Nobodies touching Pooh

This thread LOL.

I say he's top 5 but to say he's number 1 and that's there's no need for debate is blasphemous PG is the deepest position in the NBA no matter who you think is number one your def going to need to explain why, and we can't judge someone of 15 - 20 games Jeremy Lin is proof of that.

Yeah the "no debate thing", I was watching a D-Will Highlight tape at that time and just felt like adding that in...but it's certainty debatable.

But yeah, the D-Will hate all over the sports world is :x

During that survey thing, D-Will wasn't even mentioned as a top PG in the league :smh:

During that survey thing, D-Will wasn't even mentioned as a top PG in the league mean.gif
What's more logical, the "sports world" having some unknown vendetta against him, or it actually being true?

Let's get real. People are just learning. It took too long, but I am proud of them. Some still clearly need help, though.

Last edited:
I've gotta go with DWill on this one... Other PG's put up good arguments as well, but DWill gets the edge, imo. Versatile scoring (Him getting hot from the outside is a scary thing), solid defense, handles, & the way he's able to create for others (especially when you look at his supporting cast the last 2 seasons). He can take a game over whether scoring himself (he's done it time & time again in Jersey) or setting up players who were basically role players starting. Can't wait to see what he can do this season with a better supporting cast... He'll definitely get more recognition from analysts (not like that matters, but still).

PG is such a tough position to rank though... You can make a strong argument for so many PG's :nerd:

Back
Top Bottom