2012 NY Jets Off-Season Thread ( 6-10) Goodbye Tebow ....

well this season was a wash.

Haven't put my thoughts into the season but here's my attempt to lay everything on the table.

1. Sanchez situation. I've always been pro Sanchez. There were games where he looked dazed and confused. Panicking in the pocket making bad decisions. And there was the Sanchez where he was the "Sanchize". Making good reads, throwing on the run. Just plain being more decisive.

Now this season in particular, we were watching a QB with no confidence at all. No trust in his offensive players and most importantly, himself. The mentality of the team when bringing in Tebow was to boost his play. Have someone behind his tail to motivate him and to compete harder. An example was when Rex took reps away from Sanchez during practise and gave it to Brunell a few years back. He produced the next couple of games. That was the Sanchez we needed. The confident, assertive Sanchez we've seen the playoff games.

A big portion of that confidence is the lack of help from the front office to help Sanchez grow as a QB. A proper running game. Play making personnel in the offense. I mean, there were many points during the season where his wideouts were Clyde Gates and Marty Gilyard. WHO? There are only a handful, literally a handful of QB's in the NFL, who can make it work with those players. I understand Sanchez will never be Drew Brees or Peyton Manning. Everyone does. But at the same time, he needs that support.

Moving on to 2013. Rex can't put Sanchez on the helm. He would lose his team, and the fans - some say he already did. But it really is time to move on.

I just wanted to point out that Sanchez didn't have the proper support to help him improve. However, that doesn't take away the many mistakes he did these past two seasons. From stupid INT's to fumbling the ball every other possession. There were never improvements in those crucial aspects of his game.

Analysts always compared Sanchez's career to Eli's. Now it's looking more like Joey Harrington's. However, who knows? Maybe his career can look like Alex Smith's with a proper co-ordinator. Being benched and then brought in. Simple game plans that are efficient, backed with a proper run game. This is the only hopeful part of me, but it looks like my #6 jersey will retire.

2. The ground and pound mentality. In the beginning of the season I thought Sporano was the right choice. Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams had great seasons under Sporano's wing. Plus a guy like Matt Moore had some success. However, the offense can't adjust to certain blitzes (or pretty much ALL). The running game is a dud. I don't think he's the right choice. The ground and pound mentality to me is the right mentality. With the proper running game, that opens up the passing game with play action passes. It keeps the defense honest. That mindset is gone.

3. A new cast. Huge offseason for the Jets. Some say we only need a few key players. Some say we need an overhaul.

Personally I don't think that's necessary. We have some great pieces. Our secondary is still fairly strong especially if Revis comes back to being dominant. Our defensive front is young with loads of potential. Our LB's however needs an overhaul. Old and slow. In order to get to the QB, we rely on exotic blitz packages but many times, that leaves us vulnerable. It's imperative to get a young pass-rusher (or a couple) to get the QB's and keep them on their toes. A consistent pass rusher would take some pressure of the secondary and also the defensive front. Since Rex has taken over, we haven't had an established pass rusher who can dominate the edge. It's time the Jets get one. The last pass rushing threat was John Abraham... and that was ages ago.

On offense, that's a different story. A New QB, a legit starting RB, depth on the O-Line and play makers at the wideout. Do I really need to explain?
Repped! I was litterally going to type everything you said.

With that said, do you think Norv Turner would be the right selection for us as an OC?

Happy with the decision to let Tanny go and have Rex stayed. Rex still made a crumbling defense descent this year.

#9 pick in the draft, Damontre/Manti/Lewan/Mingo would be guys I would be happy to have. We desperately need to get some WR's in free agency, and get a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round that can come in and contribute from Day 1.

With that said, do you think Norv Turner would be the right selection for us as an OC?
It would be a good selection. Not necessarily a ground and pound OC but he does create some sort of balance.

Good amount of spread formations to keep things a lil easier for the QB.

Question is, would he want to come here?

Consolation prize: Ken Wisenhunt.

It would be a good selection. Not necessarily a ground and pound OC but he does create some sort of balance.

Good amount of spread formations to keep things a lil easier for the QB.

Question is, would he want to come here?

Consolation prize: Ken Wisenhunt.
I don't see why not.

Happy with the decision to let Tanny go and have Rex stayed. Rex still made a crumbling defense descent this year.
#9 pick in the draft, Damontre/Manti/Lewan/Mingo would be guys I would be happy to have. We desperately need to get some WR's in free agency, and get a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round that can come in and contribute from Day 1.
agreed.

We need a consistent pass rusher who can create pressure. Where we can create havoc with 4 man rushes, instead of having to blitz.

An RB who can set the tone on the offense is essential. Ideally, it'd be good to bring back Greene as a backup (FA this year), because his running style is simply between the tackles and will wear and tear defenses (09-10 playoffs is a perfect example.)

Bilal Powell doesn't scare anyone and Joe McKnight is capable to be a 3rd down back, IMO. The guy is a homerun hitter out of the backfield.

Supposedly norv has no interest in coming here, wisenhunt would be great......jets are looking at tom gamble and the giants director of college scouting as their main options.

Everyone wanna blame Sanchez but the Oline aint helping one bit.

Oline has been off all year long and so has the play calling. Soprano is just as bad as Shotenhieimer.

Woody Johnson needs to take a long hard look at this team and figure out what's really the issue.

1. We need to get rid of Mike Tannenbaum
2. Sporano isn't the right guy for us
3. Our O-Line is horrible and nothing like what it was a few years ago. We need to draft well in that department.
4. We need younger linebackers and a pass rush
5. If we're so committed to running the ball, let's get a decent RB. Shaune Greene isn't going to be our answer going forward.
6. If we can't get a RB, it's time to let go of Sanchez
7. We need to let go of Holmes as well. Dude is a cancer and has a history of splitting up locker rooms.

I'm not done reading the thread, I've been catching up and you guys man :smh: :lol:, Can some of y'all take deep breaths on Sundays next season please? I disagree only with #6 (ironic, that number). We should just abandon ground and pound, nobody runs it anymore. We can get a RB but focus more on passing with better WR. I'm sorry Braylon coming back wasn't good. Hell, Plax was a better redzone option and they ignored him :smh:. So far, #1 and #2 are done. I saw Rex wants Norv, I'm with that provided we get the pieces to create a functioning offense. Then I say you can fully evaluate Sanchez's ability. I say get Polian for GM too.

I wanted to rep what thejet said but I'm over my limit. Idk how tho :smh:. I

Last edited:
I'm not done reading the thread, I've been catching up and you guys man
mean.gif
laugh.gif
, Can some of y'all take deep breaths on Sundays next season please? I disagree only with #6 (ironic, that number). We should just abandon ground and pound, nobody runs it anymore. We can get a RB but focus more on passing with better WR. I'm sorry Braylon coming back wasn't good. Hell, Plax was a better redzone option and they ignored him
mean.gif
. So far, #1 and #2 are done. I saw Rex wants Norv, I'm with that provided we get the pieces to create a functioning offense. Then I say you can fully evaluate Sanchez's ability. I say get Polian for GM too.
I wanted to rep what thejet said but I'm over my limit. Idk how tho
mean.gif
. I
The intention was there though B lol.

It's too bad Polian don't want none of the Jets.

Two candidates for the Jets job that intrigues me are Tom Cable - 49ers exec, and Marc Ross, director of college scouting.

If you looks at the past drafts for the two teams, they have been pretty solid for the most part. More so for the 49ers as of late - getting guys like Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick.

However, when it comes to hiring a gm, yes, not only does he have to be a great talent evaluator but a a guy who can lead as well.

This dude's main responsibility is to assemble a winning attitude for this team. A guy we can count on to make those tough decisions. 

Tbh - I would've liked Tannenbaum to stay in the organization as an advisor for the cap. Other than these past contracts (Sanchez and Holmes), he was actual a cap guru. I understand it couldn't have been done though.

Back
Top Bottom