2012 Toyota GT-86 / SCION FRS/ BRZ - FRS $24,930 MSRP

I went out this last weekend and drove in order the BRZ, Civic Si, Genesis Coupe, Mustang, FRS, and a used IS 250. All manual transmissions.

While I appreciate the power of the Mustang, it felt much more clunkier to drive compared to every other vehicle I drove. I mentioned this to the Ford salesman who said "Maybe it's just too much muscle for you" :stoneface:

I was pleasantly surprised at the Genesis Coupe. It felt like a very "adult" car that had some maneuverability and a lot of pop to it with the turbo. Only thing that killed me was my roommate said it looked like a female's car. :rolleyes

The Civic Si is the same old story. Nothing overly dynamic about it IMO and honestly it wasn't very fun to drive.

The IS was a blast and felt smoother and more luxurious than everything else. I could see myself using it as a daily driver once I decided to have a family but I'm not sure about right now.

I really had a blast driving both the BRZ and the FRS. It just felt fun to drive around normal city streets in Santa Monica and felt very solid when I jumped on the 10 freeway. The BRZ felt like it had a smoother more squishy ride but the turning and maneuverability with the FRS felt better to me. The lack of seating in the back is kind of a drawback. I brought along my roommate who is 6'6 and his head was on the back glass in the rear seat and he was generally pissed off with the comfort level :lol: I realize it's not really supposed to be a passenger car but it still dings how I feel about it coming from a TC which does have ample space for passengers.

I can see why some people will say the FRS/BRZ needs more power. After driving the Mustang and then getting in the BRZ it felt a bit underwhelming off the line. However, once I started driving around (just normally) the FRS/BRZ felt a lot more fun as an overall experience during normal daily driving conditions. Overall I like the FRS over the BRZ in terms of looks and ride. So if I choose to move forward it will be with the FRS.

I'm going to go back and weigh the Genesis vs. FRS this week. I'm going to trade my TC in and neither dealership had their used car sales manager to evaluate my trade on site.

Last edited:
Finally an NTer that knows how to buy a car and make a thread about it.

Lol @ the ford sales dude.

Whatever car you choose you will have made the right decision.

Id go with the genesis or IS but again all solid choices

I went out this last weekend and drove in order the BRZ, Civic Si, Genesis Coupe, Mustang, FRS, and a used IS 250. All manual transmissions.

While I appreciate the power of the Mustang, it felt much more clunkier to drive compared to every other vehicle I drove. I mentioned this to the Ford salesman who said "Maybe it's just too much muscle for you" :stoneface:

I was pleasantly surprised at the Genesis Coupe. It felt like a very "adult" car that had some maneuverability and a lot of pop to it with the turbo. Only thing that killed me was my roommate said it looked like a female's car. :rolleyes

The Civic Si is the same old story. Nothing overly dynamic about it IMO and honestly it wasn't very fun to drive.

The IS was a blast and felt smoother and more luxurious than everything else. I could see myself using it as a daily driver once I decided to have a family but I'm not sure about right now.

I really had a blast driving both the BRZ and the FRS. It just felt fun to drive around normal city streets in Santa Monica and felt very solid when I jumped on the 10 freeway. The BRZ felt like it had a smoother more squishy ride but the turning and maneuverability with the FRS felt better to me. The lack of seating in the back is kind of a drawback. I brought along my roommate who is 6'6 and his head was on the back glass in the rear seat and he was generally pissed off with the comfort level :lol: I realize it's not really supposed to be a passenger car but it still dings how I feel about it coming from a TC which does have ample space for passengers.

I can see why some people will say the FRS/BRZ needs more power. After driving the Mustang and then getting in the BRZ it felt a bit underwhelming off the line. However, once I started driving around (just normally) the FRS/BRZ felt a lot more fun as an overall experience during normal daily driving conditions. Overall I like the FRS over the BRZ in terms of looks and ride. So if I choose to move forward it will be with the FRS.

I'm going to go back and weigh the Genesis vs. FRS this week. I'm going to trade my TC in and neither dealership had their used car sales manager to evaluate my trade on site.

Why not check out a MX-5 or Mini?...

Last edited:
How are you guys holding up driving this in the winter? My plan is to wait until April and then lease one but I guess I'm getting impatient and am going to test drive one tomorrow. So sick of DD'ing the RSX already.

should look into an S2K and the WRX too tbh

Vis AMS c.f. trunk
Oem Vis c.f. hood

Roughly 8.0.0 shipped. My boy works for vis. I got hooked up.
I appreciate the love! More to come
I always do carbon on my whips.

Bought a brand new one of these last week and after a week of driving, I can honestly say all of the reviews are pretty accurate in that this car, while underpowered, is just a lot of fun to drive. My bias to my Z aside, I can definitely see myself having more fun in this car this summer and I can't wait.

Nice, grats!

I'm still waiting/crossing my fingers that a more powerful version is in the works, don't even car if it's Toyota or a Lexus version.

Bought a brand new one of these last week and after a week of driving, I can honestly say all of the reviews are pretty accurate in that this car, while underpowered, is just a lot of fun to drive. My bias to my Z aside, I can definitely see myself having more fun in this car this summer and I can't wait.

Nice man welcome to the club; you know I got rid of my Z too

Nice pickup, fellow Firestorm owner.

I dunno though, the new WRX/STI's... hnnnnnng (I still am skeptical because I got stuck in snow for 6 hours this winter)

The new WRX was underwhelming, expected better or closer to the concept I guess.

Nice man welcome to the club; you know I got rid of my Z too

Y'know, 7 days ago, I would've said I would NEVER trade in my Z but now, I'm not sure anymore :lol: This car is really that fun to drive and like RFX said, when the inevitable turbo version comes out, I'll probably get rid of the Z and this for that. It's the reason I only leased this one for 2 years.

Nice pickup, fellow Firestorm owner.

I dunno though, the new WRX/STI's... hnnnnnng (I still am skeptical because I got stuck in snow for 6 hours this winter)

I really love the new redesign for the 2015's and once my Bimmer lease is up, I'll probably go for that as my winter/passenger vehicle. As of now, my fleet looks like this.

Nice fleet

I'll be copping the next Z as soon it actually comes out I'm guessing 2016-17 at this point

Back
Top Bottom