2013-2014 NBA Thread - IND @ WAS and OKC @ LAC on ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top 10 small forwards for 2013-14.

Because we're extrapolating from a half-season of real results, the methodology was a little bit different from our forecast-based summer rankings. See the explainer at the end of the article for how these rankings were derived.

Durant
1. Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder
TrueWARP: 20.7 | 2013-14 WARP: 8.8 | Overall Rank: 1
It's not news that Durant retains his stranglehold on the top spot in the small forward rankings. My colleague Tom Haberstroh already did a great job of detailing the increase in Durant's value this season, so I won't repeat that here. This summer, Durant's projected WARP (18.3) was more than twice as high as the No. 2 player on the list, Paul Pierce (8.6). The emergence of Paul George has at least brought someone else into the periphery of the conversation, but unless LeBron James goes back to the 3, Durant will remain the NBA's top small forward for many years to come.

George
2. Paul George, Indiana Pacers
TrueWARP: 14.3 | 2013-14 WARP: 6.7 | Overall Rank: 6
What can you say about the incredible progress of George? He won the NBA Most Improved Player award last season, and has gotten exponentially better since. George's usage rate is up nearly 5 percent, his true shooting percentage is up from .531 to .585, and his turnover rate has fallen by 3.4 percent. It's a combination of upgrades that you just don't see, not at this volume of usage. So while his No. 7 ranking this summer now looks silly, in my defense I'll re-print the words I wrote at the time: "Speaking of George, his playoff breakout isn't represented here, and subjectively, I do see that performance as a coming-of-age rather than a fluke. So while I can't get ATH to replicate the effect, I think George will soar near the top of these rankings and will supplant [Danny] Granger in the former Indiana offensive hierarchy."

Batum
3. Nicolas Batum, Portland Trail Blazers
TrueWARP: 9.8 | 2013-14 WARP: 3.9 | Overall Rank: 21
In his sixth season, we have to give up on the idea that Batum is going to put up the kind of offensive numbers you expect from a true foundation player. Instead, he's become one of the NBA's elite role players, and the ascension of Wesley Matthews as Batum's wing partner makes that more than OK for the Trail Blazers. Batum has been used as more of a playmaker, soaking up some of that responsibility from Damian Lillard, but his spike in assists has been somewhat undermined by an uptick in turnovers.

Leonard
4. Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio Spurs
TrueWARP: 7.8 | 2013-14 WARP: 2.8 | Overall Rank: 49
Leonard has fallen one place in the ratings, but that's more a product of a brutal underranking of George than anything Leonard has done. Leonard in fact has played the best ball of his career. Scoring, rebounding, passing, making plays on defense -- Leonard is doing all of these things more frequently than in his first two seasons. And best of all for Spurs fans, he still seems capable of doing so much more. None of the San Antonio's veteran stars has slipped to the point where Leonard really has to take that next step. His numbers likely will improve this season as his 30.7 percent shooting from deep regresses to his career standard.

Smith
5. Josh Smith, Detroit Pistons
TrueWARP: 7.8 | 2013-14 WARP: 1.4 | Overall Rank: 111
Smith was the No. 8 power forward in the summer rankings. That he ranks three spots higher as a 3 despite a brutal start to the season -- well, that tells you a lot about the state of the position in today's NBA. Smith's ability hasn't waned, nor, as best I can tell, has his effort. He's just not being used in a way that's conducive to efficient play. He's averaging 3.8 3-point attempts per game while shooting 24.8 percent from that distance. How can that happen?

Pierce
6. Paul Pierce, Brooklyn Nets
TrueWARP: 7.1 | 2013-14 WARP: 0.8 | Overall Rank: 164
Pierce's TrueWARP is coasting along on fumes at this point, as his rating is almost entirely made up by his forecast: He ranked second at the position in the summer version of this series. At 36 years old, it's highly likely that Pierce's 2014-15 forecast will be marked by pessimism. The Nets' dysfunction makes it hard to read just how Pierce has skidded to a career-worst 13.5 PER. However, it's troubling that even as Brooklyn has picked up its pace as a team, Pierce's production continues to flounder.

Parsons
7. Chandler Parsons, Houston Rockets
TrueWARP: 7.0 | 2013-14 WARP: 3.0 | Overall Rank: 40
Parsons is one of the better glue players in the NBA. He has a full range of skills, ranging from perimeter defense to playmaking to long-range shooting. He can swing between both forward positions, and is a vocal leader in the locker room. He also just keeps getting better. Parsons is one of the biggest values to emerge out of the second round in the past decade.

Iguodala
8. Andre Iguodala, Golden State Warriors
TrueWARP: 6.9 | 2013-14 WARP: 1.8 | Overall Rank: 89
Iguodala has proven to be a perfect fit with the Warriors. It's no surprise. The dominant trait of Golden State's perimeter players was their elite ability to shoot from the outside. That's the weak part of Iguodala's game, but he does everything else well, and has graciously accepted his status as a complementary player. Iguodala's shortcoming used to be a propensity for holding the ball, but that's not an issue with the Warriors. Now he just finishes when needed, and his true shooting percentage has soared to .640. It's no coincidence that Golden State is 19-7 with Iggy in the lineup.

Ariza
9. Trevor Ariza, Washington Wizards
TrueWARP: 6.2 | 2013-14 WARP: 3.3 | Overall Rank: 38
Perhaps motivated by the sterling play of reserve Martell Webster and the drafting of fellow wing Otto Porter, Ariza has responded with arguably his finest season. His PER (16.3) is a career best, as is his true shooting percentage (.576). The strength of Washington's mediocre defense is forcing turnovers, especially live-ball miscues off steals that lead to John Wall pushing down the floor in transition. Ariza's ability to play the passing lanes is a big part of that formula.

Smith
10. J.R. Smith, New York Knicks
TrueWARP: 5.2 | 2013-14 WARP: -0.1 | Overall Rank: 293
That's not a misprint -- the frequency with which the Knicks use small lineups has resulted in Smith playing more 3 this season than 2. His best position may be a 6 -- as in not in the game. Smith has shot the ball almost impossibly bad this season. We don't quote raw field goal percentage that often, but when a scorer is shooting 34.8 percent, that tells you all you need to know. It's not getting better, either, as Smith is shooting 31.3 percent in four January games. He still ekes into the top 10 because of the credit he gets for his career baseline, one that's not going to look pretty for next season if things don't turn around.

Next five: Tyreke Evans, New Orleans Pelicans; Luol Deng, Cleveland Cavaliers; Matt Barnes, Los Angeles Clippers; Shawn Marion, Dallas Mavericks; Martell Webster, Washington Wizards.

Deng is often lauded for his intangibles, and he should be. It's impossible to quantify things like locker room chemistry or a player leading by example, but we know these things matter. In what has reportedly been a soap opera-ish Cavaliers locker room this season, the addition of Deng to fill the roster spot of Andrew Bynum could pay exponential dividends on the cohesiveness of the Cleveland roster from top to bottom. His production is pretty good, too, as his 17.4 PER is the best it's been in six years.

Also notable: Rudy Gay, Sacramento Kings; Jordan Hamilton, Denver Nuggets; Arron Afflalo, Orlando Magic.

Why did the Raptors want to unload Gay? There are a lot of reasons, but consider that this season, his 0.9 WARP ranks 155th in the NBA, and he's making $17.9 million. That's not a combination of categories you want on your roster. The athletic Hamilton is once again providing the kind of big per-minute production that demands to be examined in a larger regular role. To be fair, Nuggets coach Brian Shaw has nearly doubled Hamilton's court time over last season, but he's still better than players getting a bigger chunk of playing time. For his career, Hamilton, 23, is shooting a league-average rate from deep, and is averaging 16.6 points and 8.2 rebounds per 36 minutes.

Top 10 small forwards for 2013-14.
Because we're extrapolating from a half-season of real results, the methodology was a little bit different from our forecast-based summer rankings. See the explainer at the end of the article for how these rankings were derived.

Durant
1. Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder
TrueWARP: 20.7 | 2013-14 WARP: 8.8 | Overall Rank: 1
It's not news that Durant retains his stranglehold on the top spot in the small forward rankings. My colleague Tom Haberstroh already did a great job of detailing the increase in Durant's value this season, so I won't repeat that here. This summer, Durant's projected WARP (18.3) was more than twice as high as the No. 2 player on the list, Paul Pierce (8.6). The emergence of Paul George has at least brought someone else into the periphery of the conversation, but unless LeBron James goes back to the 3, Durant will remain the NBA's top small forward for many years to come.

George
2. Paul George, Indiana Pacers
TrueWARP: 14.3 | 2013-14 WARP: 6.7 | Overall Rank: 6
What can you say about the incredible progress of George? He won the NBA Most Improved Player award last season, and has gotten exponentially better since. George's usage rate is up nearly 5 percent, his true shooting percentage is up from .531 to .585, and his turnover rate has fallen by 3.4 percent. It's a combination of upgrades that you just don't see, not at this volume of usage. So while his No. 7 ranking this summer now looks silly, in my defense I'll re-print the words I wrote at the time: "Speaking of George, his playoff breakout isn't represented here, and subjectively, I do see that performance as a coming-of-age rather than a fluke. So while I can't get ATH to replicate the effect, I think George will soar near the top of these rankings and will supplant [Danny] Granger in the former Indiana offensive hierarchy."

Batum
3. Nicolas Batum, Portland Trail Blazers
TrueWARP: 9.8 | 2013-14 WARP: 3.9 | Overall Rank: 21
In his sixth season, we have to give up on the idea that Batum is going to put up the kind of offensive numbers you expect from a true foundation player. Instead, he's become one of the NBA's elite role players, and the ascension of Wesley Matthews as Batum's wing partner makes that more than OK for the Trail Blazers. Batum has been used as more of a playmaker, soaking up some of that responsibility from Damian Lillard, but his spike in assists has been somewhat undermined by an uptick in turnovers.

Leonard
4. Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio Spurs
TrueWARP: 7.8 | 2013-14 WARP: 2.8 | Overall Rank: 49
Leonard has fallen one place in the ratings, but that's more a product of a brutal underranking of George than anything Leonard has done. Leonard in fact has played the best ball of his career. Scoring, rebounding, passing, making plays on defense -- Leonard is doing all of these things more frequently than in his first two seasons. And best of all for Spurs fans, he still seems capable of doing so much more. None of the San Antonio's veteran stars has slipped to the point where Leonard really has to take that next step. His numbers likely will improve this season as his 30.7 percent shooting from deep regresses to his career standard.

Smith
5. Josh Smith, Detroit Pistons
TrueWARP: 7.8 | 2013-14 WARP: 1.4 | Overall Rank: 111
Smith was the No. 8 power forward in the summer rankings. That he ranks three spots higher as a 3 despite a brutal start to the season -- well, that tells you a lot about the state of the position in today's NBA. Smith's ability hasn't waned, nor, as best I can tell, has his effort. He's just not being used in a way that's conducive to efficient play. He's averaging 3.8 3-point attempts per game while shooting 24.8 percent from that distance. How can that happen?

Pierce
6. Paul Pierce, Brooklyn Nets
TrueWARP: 7.1 | 2013-14 WARP: 0.8 | Overall Rank: 164
Pierce's TrueWARP is coasting along on fumes at this point, as his rating is almost entirely made up by his forecast: He ranked second at the position in the summer version of this series. At 36 years old, it's highly likely that Pierce's 2014-15 forecast will be marked by pessimism. The Nets' dysfunction makes it hard to read just how Pierce has skidded to a career-worst 13.5 PER. However, it's troubling that even as Brooklyn has picked up its pace as a team, Pierce's production continues to flounder.

Parsons
7. Chandler Parsons, Houston Rockets
TrueWARP: 7.0 | 2013-14 WARP: 3.0 | Overall Rank: 40
Parsons is one of the better glue players in the NBA. He has a full range of skills, ranging from perimeter defense to playmaking to long-range shooting. He can swing between both forward positions, and is a vocal leader in the locker room. He also just keeps getting better. Parsons is one of the biggest values to emerge out of the second round in the past decade.

Iguodala
8. Andre Iguodala, Golden State Warriors
TrueWARP: 6.9 | 2013-14 WARP: 1.8 | Overall Rank: 89
Iguodala has proven to be a perfect fit with the Warriors. It's no surprise. The dominant trait of Golden State's perimeter players was their elite ability to shoot from the outside. That's the weak part of Iguodala's game, but he does everything else well, and has graciously accepted his status as a complementary player. Iguodala's shortcoming used to be a propensity for holding the ball, but that's not an issue with the Warriors. Now he just finishes when needed, and his true shooting percentage has soared to .640. It's no coincidence that Golden State is 19-7 with Iggy in the lineup.

Ariza
9. Trevor Ariza, Washington Wizards
TrueWARP: 6.2 | 2013-14 WARP: 3.3 | Overall Rank: 38
Perhaps motivated by the sterling play of reserve Martell Webster and the drafting of fellow wing Otto Porter, Ariza has responded with arguably his finest season. His PER (16.3) is a career best, as is his true shooting percentage (.576). The strength of Washington's mediocre defense is forcing turnovers, especially live-ball miscues off steals that lead to John Wall pushing down the floor in transition. Ariza's ability to play the passing lanes is a big part of that formula.

Smith
10. J.R. Smith, New York Knicks
TrueWARP: 5.2 | 2013-14 WARP: -0.1 | Overall Rank: 293
That's not a misprint -- the frequency with which the Knicks use small lineups has resulted in Smith playing more 3 this season than 2. His best position may be a 6 -- as in not in the game. Smith has shot the ball almost impossibly bad this season. We don't quote raw field goal percentage that often, but when a scorer is shooting 34.8 percent, that tells you all you need to know. It's not getting better, either, as Smith is shooting 31.3 percent in four January games. He still ekes into the top 10 because of the credit he gets for his career baseline, one that's not going to look pretty for next season if things don't turn around.

Next five: Tyreke Evans, New Orleans Pelicans; Luol Deng, Cleveland Cavaliers; Matt Barnes, Los Angeles Clippers; Shawn Marion, Dallas Mavericks; Martell Webster, Washington Wizards.

Deng is often lauded for his intangibles, and he should be. It's impossible to quantify things like locker room chemistry or a player leading by example, but we know these things matter. In what has reportedly been a soap opera-ish Cavaliers locker room this season, the addition of Deng to fill the roster spot of Andrew Bynum could pay exponential dividends on the cohesiveness of the Cleveland roster from top to bottom. His production is pretty good, too, as his 17.4 PER is the best it's been in six years.

Also notable: Rudy Gay, Sacramento Kings; Jordan Hamilton, Denver Nuggets; Arron Afflalo, Orlando Magic.

Why did the Raptors want to unload Gay? There are a lot of reasons, but consider that this season, his 0.9 WARP ranks 155th in the NBA, and he's making $17.9 million. That's not a combination of categories you want on your roster. The athletic Hamilton is once again providing the kind of big per-minute production that demands to be examined in a larger regular role. To be fair, Nuggets coach Brian Shaw has nearly doubled Hamilton's court time over last season, but he's still better than players getting a bigger chunk of playing time. For his career, Hamilton, 23, is shooting a league-average rate from deep, and is averaging 16.6 points and 8.2 rebounds per 36 minutes.
jr smith and paul pierce on this list? c'mon

Last edited:
:nerd:
Yeah I don't really watch Sportscenter or ESPN like, ever. But I watched it a couple days and didn't realize how bad it had gotten. Every Heat highlight is exactly the same, a bunch of Lebron dunks (nothing from the other team) and then Stuart Scott or whoever says "Lebron DOMINATES once again, carrying the Heat to a win" even if he only had like 15 points and Wade or Bosh went off for 30 :lol:

But yeah, I don't usually watch ESPN for anything other than games. Their NFL coverage, NBA on ESPN coverage = :x

:smh: i never witness sportscenter say lebron dominated off of 15 pts, you're saying anything
See pic above. They do that all the time. Like on Christmas day they were saying Lebron "carried the Heat", he played a good floor game but it was actually Wade who went off for 30, and Bosh outscored Lebron as well. But you know they have to promote their cash cow on Christmas day

You clearly haven't watched/read ESPN lately (and I don't blame you) if you've never noticed them doing this

View media item 703986
bosh had 25, wade had 20, lebron had 18 points in a 19 point win
this reminds of the block Lebron had in the finals...it wasn't even that impactful, but the ESPN crew hyped it up so bad smh
The funny thing was that Splitter got blocked by Wade as well, and I think even Ray Allen got him.. neither of those plays got any hype :lol:

On ESPN they were calling it "The Block".. it's like come on, stop forcing it people

Last edited:
The nba has always been about hyping their best player at the time. They did this with kobe deeming him the next jordan and it rubbed people the wrong way. Then it was dwade.

If you shove things down peoples throat they are more likely to revolt. Nobody likes being told what to think.

I can see why people and casual fans in general would think a guy like lebrons game is boring. Most people like seeing scoring. High scoring. From high scorers. And nothing else.

Lebron is more of a team oriented player.

Case in point that douche ball named swaggy p smh

We all know what that **** thinks 24 hours a day

its also the random stats they come up with like "lebron is the first person to score 34 points 7 rebounds and 8 assists while shooting 60% making 4 threes going to the line 12 times on a thursday afternoon game"

theres a _____ player was the first player to _______ every night these days

and things like "lebron james: christmas day MVP"

What the **** was Spike thinking last night
roll.gif

Looking like when the principal calls your mother and she walks into the office.

Do you guys not remember how the media treated Jordan? He was portrayed as a god who could do no wrong. If we're talking about guys who the media deemed bigger than the sport, Jordan is #1 on the list.

They certainly never had a guy on the air every day trolling for attention and doing stuff like this.

skip-bayless-lebrick.png

Last edited:
The most exciting player in the league this year to me is def lillard. But the last real exciting game that had me re watching was the Lakers vs raptors last year when kobe went off. Might watch when I get home

kevin durant is damn near 7 feet and pullin moves like that
sick.gif

he can be the goat as long as his body holds up
impossible.  Indiana is the next dynasty.

Lance: MJ

PG24: Scottie Pippen

George Hill: Steve Kerr

David West: Charles Oakley

Roy Hibbert: Luc Longley

its obvious if you think really hard about it

pimp.gif

I don't really find LeBron that entertaining to watch either, but that's definitely subjective...  Some people seem to love it.

I agree with you, but I will give reason as to why i don't find Lebron entertaining so much.

MJ and Kobe had a very skilled game, especially later on in their careers. It's a lot more entertaining to watch those two move on the basketball court and create points for themselves than watching LeBron bulldoze his way to the rim and either get fouled or dunk the ball.

Lebrons game is ridiculously efficient and vicious, but it's just not fun to watch. At least that's how I feel about it.

For what it's worth--I think KD is much more entertaining to watch than Lebron.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom