2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

:lol:

I tend to believe you guys on the ground, but can these statistics and demographics that Jim Delany is citing really be that wrong?

I'd be happier if Schiano was still at Rutgers. Who is Kyle Flood and what are the opinions on him?

Navy will again wear special uniform’s for their biggest rivalry game, for the Commander-in-Chief’s Trophy against Army, December 8th.

The most striking element of the uniform is the gold stripe on the helmet. High in the back, down to the facemask in the front, Navy tells us this is to  mimic the shiny band on a navy dress cap. We think this is a very liberal translation, but it makes for a very interesting and unique helmet.

The uniform is mostly with with blue trim, small accents of yellow on the arm. The helmet sports the naval flags to spell out “Beat Army,” which is a really cool touch.

Navy & Army have kinda quietly had some really dope uniforms over the past few years.
sick.gif
pimp.gif

[h1]ACC faces uncertain future, and it's not alone[/h1]
Dan Wolken, USA TODAY SportsShare
0 Comments

ap-big-ten-expansion-maryland-football_001-4_3_r560.jpg

(Photo: Patrick Semansky, Associated Press)
[h3]Story Highlights[/h3]
  • Maryland's lack of hesitation in the face of a $50 million exit fee has to be a concern
  • The ACC's acquisition of Notre Dame was a sign to Jim Delany that geography no longer mattered
  • Some schools might be reconsidering moves that are agreed upon but have yet to go into effect
10:02PM EST November 19. 2012 - Much of the conversation surrounding Maryland's exit from the Atlantic Coast Conference on Monday focused on how the league would replace one of its charter members. Should the ACC move fast or slow to fill the opening? Would UConn, Louisville or someone else be a good fit?

In reality, the issue of who takes Maryland's place is a fairly insignificant piece of a much larger problem facing the ACC after unexpectedly losing a member for the first time in 41 years. Just two months after the league added Notre Dame as a partial member and increased the exit fee to $50 million, fears about the ACC's future are once again bubbling from within. And adding Louisville, UConn or anybody else won't do much to stop the crisis of confidence.

RELATED: Maryland leaves ACC for more money

"If I were still a commissioner, I'd be concerned," said Gene Corrigan, a former athletics director at Virginia and Notre Dame before serving as ACC commissioner from 1987-97. "I'm bewildered. I think there's all kinds of stuff that is coming as a result of today. It's just crazy. Are there other people out there? I just don't know where these conferences are going numbers-wise."

Corrigan isn't alone among those with deep ACC ties.

Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated reported strong comments from Duke basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski that were taped Monday for his weekly Sirius XM radio show, which will air ednesday.

"I think the ACC is vulnerable right now, I'm concerned about our conference," Krzyzewski said.

He continued: "I do think more people are going to go after people in our conference now. Especially if Maryland shows that in some way they can reduce or get out of that $50 million commitment."

And then this from Notre Dame basketball coach Mike Brey, via the South Bend Tribune: "Is the ACC stable? Are we OK or what are we doing here? Interesting times."

Not exactly reassuring comments from two of the most well-respected people with ACC ties, especially on one of the most somber days in league history.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL MAILBAG: Submit your questions

COLLEGE BASKETBALL MAILBAG: Submit your questions

But their worries are genuine, and with good reason. Though one ACC official, who asked not to be identified due to the sensitive nature of the realignment process, pointed to the league's affiliation with Notre Dame and its lucrative new deal with the Orange Bowl as signs of stability, one thing has been proven: If the $50 million buyout didn't stop Maryland from leaving, it won't stop others, either, under the right circumstances.

That's unsettling in this landscape, especially given the dynamics that led the Big Ten to expand with Maryland today and Rutgers on Tuesday. This is about expanding the footprint of the Big Ten, getting its television network on more basic cable tiers and creating more ways to add inventory to put on that network.

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany spoke to that on a teleconference Monday, intimating that the Big Ten's all-sports scheduling agreement with the Pac 12, which fell through after being announced last year, would have perhaps been an "antidote to expansion" because it would have given schools more games to put on television. Instead, it fell through because the Pac 12 decided to play nine conference games instead of eight, leaving less room for non-conference games. Delany also admitted in a roundabout way that the Maryland-Rutgers expansion was a reaction to the ACC's grab for Notre Dame, which indicated "the paradigm shift in other conferences coming out of their natural regions and into some of ours."

And listening to the comments coming from the Big Ten on Monday, it's clear the door hasn't been shut on getting even bigger.

"I can't speak on behalf of our presidents, our conference commissioner or my colleagues, but truthfully we just need to have an even number of teams," Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon said. "If we get to 14 teams and stay there, I'm quite happy with that and it works out very well in terms of divisional makeup. If we were to add two more teams and go to 16, I think that's doable. Depending on where we added and who we add, that might be a very positive step for the conference, whether that's done more near-term or long-term."

RELATED: Rutgers move to Big Ten all but official

Well, if the Big Ten ever expands again, where do you think those teams are coming from? And if the SEC decides to go to 16 – its network is in the late planning stages, after all – the candidates will likely come from the ACC as well. There are an awful lot of people with television sets in North Carolina and Virginia.

Meanwhile, everyone in the ACC will be watching to see if Maryland has to pay the full $50 million exit fee. If not, a school like Florida State – which already has a faction uneasy with the ACC's place in the football hierarchy – could become a major issue. Former Florida State Board of Trustees chairman Andy Haggard, who pushed the school to consider leaving the ACC in May, said Monday he expected the school to stay put for now.

"I'm surprised by it, but I don't know how it's going to affect the ACC whatsoever," Haggard said. "We've had no overtures from anybody. We've made no overtures. Florida State is right where they are right now. Whatever Maryland did is totally isolated, and we're going to stay the course and we're going to be in the Atlantic Coast Conference."

David Wilkins, chairman of Clemson's Board of Trustees, said, "I don't think this will have a domino effect. The teams that are strong in football are committed, I believe, and I think the ACC is solid. At least to me the Maryland exit was a big surprise, seemed to be based on money, but that's their decision, their right, and I have every reason to believe the ACC will expect them to honor their commitment.

"I'd say that Clemson is very excited about our football program right now and we'd like to see a team added that adds to the football prowess of the ACC, but that's a decision for the presidents to make based on a lot of factors."

As we know, things can change quickly in realignment. The Big 12 claims it is happy with its current 10-team situation, but wouldn't it have to give serious consideration to a school like Florida State or perhaps Georgia Tech, which sit in the heart of SEC country?

So what should the ACC do, short of convincing Notre Dame to jump in as a full football member? Though adding a UConn or Louisville may be a necessity to fill a slot, Corrigan said those schools "aren't the answer, not at all."

"I don't know what I'd do," Corrigan said. "I don't think I'd rush into anything right now."

It's a tough spot for the ACC, but an even tougher one for the Big East. On Tuesday it will likely have to acknowledge losing Rutgers,with perhaps another member to follow.

Then on Monday, ESPN reported that Boise State and San Diego State, which agreed last year to join the Big East as football-only members in 2013, have kept open communication with Mountain West officials about possibly staying in the conference. Of those conversations, Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson said: "A lot of people are talking to a lot of folks."

As vague as that is, there is truth. For the schools planning on joining the Big East next season (including Memphis, Central Florida, Houston and SMU from Conference USA), there are a lot of moving parts. Who is the ACC going to take? How do the basketball-only schools factor in, especially now that the league has taken another body blow? How does the loss of Rutgers and perhaps someone else impact the television negotiations, which were a key factor for Boise and San Diego State?

Nobody knows right now. Big East commissioner Michael Aresco, through a spokesman, declined immediate comment but is expected to talk after the Rutgers news is official.

"Athletic directors talk (to each other), the coaches talk, their presidents talk," Thompson said. "I think everybody is trying to monitor as best they can. Today's announcement (Maryland to Big Ten, rumors of Rutgers, too) came very quickly. Everyone is trying to assimilate it. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I would think maybe some of the logical reasons to have left the Mountain West no longer apply."

By that, Thompson not only means television dollars but the new postseason format that will accompany the four-team playoff in 2014. The Big East was lumped into the so-called "Group of Five" along with the Mountain West, Conference USA, the MAC and the Sun Belt, where the highest-ranked champion among those leagues will receive an automatic bid to a major bowl game.

In other words, the MWC champion will theoretically have equal access as the Big East champion. Backing out of the Big East could be expensive ($5 million), and the Big East can still make it worthwhile for Boise State and San Diego State to join if the television contract is lucrative enough.

"I don't have any predictions," Thompson said. "People don't make these decisions easily. Everybody is just going to have to determine what it all means. There are a lot of ramifications. People are trying to make long-term decisions based on a shifting foundation."

That's just how it is, though, at the bottom of college football's food chain. The ACC and the Big East, especially, have found out in the last few days that the nightmare isn't even close to being over.
With this mess that continues to unfold, the only way for other sports to avoid being affected by the football money chase, the NCAA needs to make football its own separate entity.

Last edited:
I gotta hit him up and wis him the best
I didnt see him post anything on facebook tho

Yeah he announced it today. Had a meeting w/ Jimbo this morning.

I expect 3 to declare. Jenkins, Rhodes (W/ as big as he his he might have to plat safety. :lol:) and Bjoern Werner.

Which makes it a little odd that FSU stopped going after Juco DE Za'Darius Smith. Unless of course another player is coming down the line

I gotta hit him up and wis him the best
I didnt see him post anything on facebook tho
Have you ever popped bottles with him?

Which makes it a little odd that FSU stopped going after Juco DE Za'Darius Smith. Unless of course another player is coming down the line
Probably because they know Sumlin's gonna lock him up :pimp: Hopefully...we're really going to need him if D. Moore goes pro.

Last edited:
What is all this schedule tough OOC crap? The fact of the matter is, when they face someone, be it bowl game, or OOC, they get the win. Been this way FOR YEARS. I don't get how the SEC hasn't earned enough respect from everybody in the way they have torn down and dismantled all comers in BCS games the past decade. What ******g more do you all want?
And on top of that ,they stock the NFL shelf full of talent, solid talent, not just random warm bodies.
You actin like other conferences play these ridiculous schedules or some nonsense. To me, winning games within the SEC > beating somebody from the Big 10, Pac 12, Big 12, etc. Why play tough games outside when their are much tougher games to win in your own damn conference? Seems like sour grapes to me.
If Alabama had to face Cal, Wash, Wash St, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Arizona St, Oregon St and UCLA (typically) for 7 weeks, then yeah, I could see them needing to step out. Since they don't get that schedule, I'm fine with them calling it good by just beating teams in the SEC only. Long as they pay it off with a bowl win, in convincing fashion (and they usually do, as do the others) then what's the problem?
What is the MO on Oklahoma? Win games in conference, get to title or BCS game, get drilled. Big game Bob. Ohio St? Weak Big 10, gets drilled come bowl time. Oregon lately? Owns the Pac 12, their biggest win is Wisconsin, last year.
What SEC teams go 11-0 11-1 and then get drilled in their bowl game? It's happened, what, 2-3 times over the past decade? TOTAL, for the conference, not just one team. :lol:

SEC is "playing the game" and that is what people have an issue with...

They now have 14 teams and STILL play an 8 game conference schedule...it makes no sense, OTHER than the fact that they can schedule that "extra" game against a Jacksonville State, for example (the entire conference does...and, it is a fact, that has been noted in by many sources, they schedule more FCS schools than any other AQ conference)...this allows the entire conference to avoid 7 more losses throughout the year and allows more of the top teams to finish the year with 0, 1 or 2 losses (it is simple math...don't argue it)...the top teams in the SEC are now even less likely to play the other top teams in their own conference than any other AQ conference with 14 teams...combine that with getting preseason rankings they don't deserve (see Arkansas this year, Tenn almost every year) and you have a system setup to keep the SEC in the top of the polls...

Examples below...

Alabama - avoided Georgia, Florida and Alabama in conference this year
Georgia - avoided Alabama, LSU and TAMU in conference this year

The facts are that the SEC has been far from the "dominant" perception in the BCS era...they have had a couple of dominant programs (LSU, Bama and Florida)...it has nothing to do with the conference as a whole...which, again is the reason why people "gang up" on "SEC Fan" because it is ridiculous that they root for 14 teams and not just their own...

Everyone else wants to back up their "thoughts on college football" with hyperbole and opinion...here some facts below...

Before you fire back, ACTUALLY read the article and go through the second link and make an argument to counter the claims...

http://www.thepostgame.com/commenta...sto-southern-secession-chuck-thompson-sec-bcs

http://preseason.stassen.com/over-under/

And...all of this "well, it's an SEC schedule" is BS and you know it...there are always the bad teams in the conference...and, whether or not there are "more good teams' in the conference doesn't matter when just by shear numbers you are going to be able to avoid them...

Kentucky
Vandy
Ole Miss
Miss State
Mizzou
...and then, there is always a "better" program that is going to have a tough year (Auburn, Tenn or Arkansas this year)...

Only teams in this conference that are are REALLY going to contend for a title are Bama, LSU, Georgia and Florida...

Look at the last time some like say Kentucky or Vandy won the SEC conference title...it was the 60's...

Bottom line...it is all about money and we all know it...SEC draws fans and that is what the networks want...viewership...and, they are going to get it...

How did Alabama avoid Alabama this year? Georgia is the one team this year who benefited from the schedule as they avoided Bama & LSU (for the 2nd year in a row) and TAMU. Rarely is a team going to have 3 of UGA, LSU, BAMA (& aTm now) on their schedule prior to the SEC championship game. Well, of the good teams that have a chance @ the NC :lol:

When's the last time Tenn was preseason top 10? Arkansas's failure has more to do w/ their HC getting canned right before the season, hiring John L. Smith and their Starting QB getting hurt than it does w/ an unwarranted preseason ranking. If Chip Kelly got hired, replaced with *insert average coach here* and had Mariotta get knocked out in game 1 do you think they would have been affected? How many other conferences are trotting out 4 teams that could contend for a title ever year?

I don't really think that when ppl mention 'SEC Football' they are referring to the Kentucky's, Ole Miss, Vandy, etc of the world. No conference is trotting out high quality teams from 1-12/14/10 in their conference, are they?

Everyone knows that the SEC is "playing the game" so the issue should be w/ the fact that there is a "game" itself rather then the fact that they are the ones who exploit it. I'm quite sure if any other conference had the ability to do it they would do it as well. If you fix the system, then the SEC no longer has the ability to play this "game". This is where the focus should be. But then if you do that you no longer have the "bias" angle so out the window goes a couple dozens of stories from writers over the course of the year.

The fact that some of these teams get to play FCS schools before season ending rivalry games (Bama, uf, Georgia) is hilarious though :lol:. Smart scheduling.

I guess that 6-3 BCS bowl record constitutes as getting drilled. pause. 

Nice, I like them. That said I rolled out of bed this morning and expressed my hatred for O$U. Ending the streak was emotionally huge last year. This year a W would mean a lot in terms of the program moving forward.

Texas poking their heads in late on Z. Smith ...

They need JUCO linemen bad.

Back
Top Bottom