2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

As someone that has been a long time fan of ND going back to 1986 when I was a kid I've realized that some people just love to hate on Notre Dame just because its Notre Dame and thats cool. But please don't sit here and try to defend your team by saying they played a stronger schedule than Notre Dame because they didn't.
So now ND played the toughest schedule in the country?

:rofl: :rofl:

what did mike london do yesterday that has UVA fans calling for his job?

NC state coaching list
roll.gif
 there fan base is so out of there god damn minds

what did mike london do yesterday that has UVA fans calling for his job?
Brah, it was the stupidest ******g thing I've ever witnessed. An 8 year old playing Madden wouldn't have let this happen.

Virginia coach Mike London took three cracks at explaining his end-of-game clock management Saturday. The first two made no sense, the third, via text to me, was far better but won’t appease justifiably exasperated fans.

Rather than using his final two timeouts to give the Cavaliers’ offense a final possession, London allowed Virginia Tech to run the clock down from 50 seconds to four before Cody Journell’s 29-yard, final-play field goal gave the Hokies a 17-14 victory.

Had London used his timeouts, the Cavaliers might have regained the ball with 40-some seconds remaining, albeit against a defense that limited them to 68 second-half yards.

Instead he used the timeouts to "ice" Journell before the kick, which came with four seconds left. Journell had missed from 42 yards three-plus minutes earlier.

London’s first explanation came after the Richmond Times-Dispatch’s Michael Phillips asked whether he considered using timeouts to force a Tech kickoff.

“Not really,” London said. “Again, I thought we were playing well defensively. You just have to make the decision, if you try to save timeouts with seconds on the clock, or hopefully your defense will get a crack at maybe causing a turnover or maybe knocking them back a little bit. That didn’t occur. You try to play the game so you can get into it in the last second.”

A few moments later, I had this exchange with London.

Question: “Sorry to revisit this, but with 50 seconds to go, (Virginia defensive tackle Chris) Brathwaite goes off the field with an injury. If you had used two timeouts there, you could have conceivably gotten the ball back with 40-some seconds to go. Instead, they kick a field goal on the last play of the game. The clock management there, it just doesn’t compute to me.”

Answer : “I’d have to go back and look at that again. I’m trying to remember the sequence of the events and the information that I’m getting from upstairs and all that. When I do, and if I do, then I’ll definitely talk to you about how that played out.”

Shortly after I returned to the press box, London texted me from the team bus.

Getting back to you. 40 sec left thought process.

1. PK missed previous one.

2. Make them run/handle FB.

3. did not want expend the last two TO and concede 3 pts. Even with poss 30/25 secs left.

4. They would be kicking off with the wind. All kickoffs from the opp end to our locker room were ALL touchbacks.

Aspect of down 3 pts – ball on our 25 no time outs, 3-14 for 3rd downs, and drive the field to tie or score Td to win against the wind?

Anyway, out of respect to your question and your right to disagree. You deserve a proper answer. If you want to discuss further, let me know.

Thank you,

Mike London

Two reactions: London was very gracious to text after a frustrating loss; I still disagree.

A paltry three second-half first downs notwithstanding, Virginia needed to preserve as much clock as possible for a potential last-ditch drive.

Rich Rodriquez has been floated for some of these openings...

... seems like his agent and Gruden's agent are on the same page. I can see him moving on after a couple years in the desert, but not yet.

Rich Rodriquez has been floated for some of these openings...

Rich rod needs to stay at zona he should have learned from coaching at a big school at michigan to not keep switching jobs. bowl games and winning seasons and he has the job at zona as long as he wants it
Read their first choice may be James Franklin.
thats why i started laughing. it was Jon Gruden, Bill Cowher, James Franklin, Chris Petersen, Bobby Petrino

All these ND fans better enjoy it

ND couldnt even beat Florida, SC, Texas A&M, LSU even if they was at home what makes you think they gonna beat Georgia or Bama?

I dont wanna see another SEC hold up a trophy but real recognize real

Them boys gonna put a beating on ND

I got the SEC winner by 19

im paypal ready 8)

:lol:

Rich rod needs to stay at zona he should have learned from coaching at a big school at michigan to not keep switching jobs. bowl games and winning seasons and he has the job at zona as long as he wants it

I think that's the case, but once Greg Byrne moves on to bigger and better things, all bets will be off.

Read their first choice may be James Franklin.
Wouldn't be surprised. Yow was the AD when he was the HCIW at Maryland. I know he made a run at the UNC job last year, so if he were to seriously consider this, I wouldn't be shocked. 

However, I think he stays for one more year. If he can get Vandy to another bowl next year, I see him being in the running for some of the bigger jobs that should open next year. 

All these ND fans better enjoy it
ND couldnt even beat Florida, SC, Texas A&M, LSU even if they was at home what makes you think they gonna beat Georgia or Bama?
I dont wanna see another SEC hold up a trophy but real recognize real
Them boys gonna put a beating on ND
I got the SEC winner by 19
im paypal ready 8)
:lol:

I ill bet you $100 Alabama or Georgia doesn't beat ND by 19 points. Put your money where your mouth is.

I ill bet you $100 Alabama or Georgia doesn't beat ND by 19 points. Put your money where your mouth is.

scratch that gimmie Bama by 13

I can see yall sneaking in tons of FGs.......forgot about last night

Last edited:
GIFSoup

Just an awful game to watch, filled with inept coaching. It was actually on both sides since I don't think Brian Kelly called a good game either but his defense was better and it prevailed.

- The first drive is very indicative of CLK's arrogance in play calling: Running the ball down ND's throat, beating up their front seven and basically saying "We are going to run it down your throat!". All of a sudden three straight passes that concludes with Lee dropping that ball in the end zone. First pass wasn't even a PA, :smh:. "If" Lee catches it we are not talking about it, but that's the problem with CLK's play calling, he gets cute and leaves a lot of "if's" on the field.

- Brian Kelly was getting a lot of yards killing Monte's ******** soft zone tampa 2 defense, insisted on running. The holes started opening up for Riddick when Kelly figured out that our defense was making Golson look like Peyton Manning out there. Our LB's started looking lost, and Riddick started getting 5-7 yards a pop. :smh:.

- We haven't been able to stop anybody through the air for the entire CLK era, the zone gets killed. Third down defense is atrocious, like I said last week, it can be third and forever and I'll still have no faith. I guess we know where CLK get's his arrogance/stubborness from.. his daddy. Hasn't changed is mindset that College QB's aren't talented/smart to pick apart his Tampa 2. Three years later, still baffling to him.

- Manti Teo deserving the Heisman :lol:lol - He was a non-factor this game just like in 2011, the fullback was working him and the tackles he was getting were 4-7 yards past the line of scrimmage. He got a gift interception, directly at him. Soma Vainuku (#31) did a great job of taking Teo out of he ball game, it's a shame he is going to be known for dropping that pass that should have never came his way (no hands). I see the appeal in throwing it to Soma, he's a hammer and if he gets a pass in the open field he is going to kill the DB that is going to try and stop him. Problem is he has more drops than catches and that was such a crucial play. Wrong guy to throw it to. (If you don't believe me watch the entire game again and look at #5, non factor)

-Play calling/clock management on that goal line stand was beyond awful. When Lee got tackled and everyone was cheering I turned to my friend on the sideline and said "F*%@", after the stand he told me he didn't see that coming, I had different choice words. Khaled Holmes can't get no push when a DT is lined up in front of him (*see Utah game), why go that route? No bootleg? Terrible play calling and it's all on CLK.

- CLK is coming back, and I think 2011 earned him another year. He deserves a lot of credit for that 10-2 season just as he deserves tons of the criticism he is receiving right now. Hopefully this serves as a humbling experience for him, I doubt it, but one can hope. Also, Papa Kiffin is gone, don't see how he brings him back. If he can't pull the trigger on that someone else will.

- For a fan base that hasn't done **** in close to two decades, you sure can talk a lot of ****! :lol:. Even the "regulars" here only come in during good times. Now there are a lot more Irish fans, :lol: They came out in droves last night... so bad. A lot of bandwagons in the parking lot, they were all quite full.

- They won't beat Bama, they can beat Georgia. I'm just not convinced with Georgia, if they beat Bama, then I'll believe they can beat a solid team. The way they played against Florida, mucho bad thoughts.

- SEC dudes bragging cause the SEC trounced on ACC teams :lol:. Georgia Tech, :lol:. Oh yeah, Florida is one of the teams that has the "elite" designation, so try again :wink:

-Bama/ND will be a ratings bonanza but Bama wins by two TD's. ND may keep it close early but Bama has the talent on the field and off, sorry.

Last edited:
yall trust UGA in a big game now? i sure as hell dont. bama is going to kill them and ND would beat down georiga also

i dont even like ND but im not going going to be blind with my hate like some of yall. ND is winning just like your favorite SEC team is, Great OL and DL play, running the football and QB's not turning the ball over

The point is, it's not like Notre Dame played a Kansas State or Oregon type schedule. The only teams that have a dog in the toughest schedule fight are maybe the SEC teams. And the guy just pointed out that on average, Notre Dame has played consistently tougher opponents.
Now, I won't sit here and say it is cut and dry. It's an argument over playing 2 or 3 or 4 really really really tough games and 8 cupcake teams vs. playing 2 or 3 tough teams and the rest mostly bowl eligible.
But Oregon? You can argue they played one defense that is even worth a damn and they put up 14 points and lost. In the end, you play to win the game and, in my opinion, the two best teams in the country will play for the National Championship.
The best team from the SEC as evident of them winning the conference championship and the only eligible undefeated team in the country in Notre Dame.

Do you have ANY idea what you are talking about...any??? First off...the SEC 8-game conference schedule is a joke...EVERYONE knows it...but, no one wants them to change it because it would "create chaos" in the polls when you have 7 more loses in the "elite" conference in the country...what is the point of having an 8-game conference schedule when you have 14 teams...there are some times that will go 4 years w/o playing each other...that makes sense...right?

K-State and Oregon have BOTH played a harder SOS than Bama...and UGA's SOS is even worse than Bama...

BTW...two of the three "cupcakes" that Oregon played...Fresno State (9-3) and Arkansas State (8-3) both won their conference titles and are going to bowl games...they have rankings of #33 and #35 respectively in the AP and #29 and #34 in the coaches poll...

Oregon will play more Top 30 teams than Bama and UGA...no getting around that...they are 4-1 vs the Top 30...Bama and UGA are both 2-1...Oregon will end the year playing 6 Top 30 games (should have been 7 if K-State didn't back out)...whereas Bama and UGA will both play 4 and one of them will play 5...

ND SOS = 30
Bama SOS = 39
Oregon SOS = 31
UGA SOS = 42
SCar = 34
UF = 13
TAMU = 25

And...if we want to really be picking...check the AVG SOS for the conferences...Pac-12 vs SEC...the average game a Pac-12 team was against a team, on average, 10 teams better...Pac-12 has 5 teams with a Top 10 SOS (more than any other conference), SEC has 1 (Mizzou)...just sayin'...

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt12.htm

Pac-12 = 16.6
SEC = 26.5

Your "argument" doesn't hold up to facts...

Here comes my "facts"...

The whole "they didn't play a team with a good defense" argument is a joke...ASU, Washington, Oregon State and Stanford are all in the Top 38, and that is AFTER they played Oregon...4 of the Top 7 teams in the country in sacks are Pac-12 schools and Oregon leads the nation in INTs...of course their stats aren't going to be Top 5 or 10 like some SEC teams, but they play in a conference that gains yards and scores touchdowns...they don't run the pitch dive over and over again...

It is pretty obvious now that a team like Texas A&M has been added from the Big 12 that the mythology of the "great" SEC defense is much more the fact of the awful SEC offense...you bring a dynamic, 2012 version of football into the SEC and they struggle to stop it...SEC is living in the leather helmet era and the media bias continues to perpetuate the "myth" of them being "the" elite conference...Bama, LSU and Florida being elite the last 10 years or so doesn't equate to the entire conference being "elite"...

All this being said...Oregon has no argument for the NCG...they controlled their own destiny and they blew it against one of the best teams in the country...

We can all argue what we "think" about CFB, you can have your "opinions" and I can have mine...problem is that you are making arguments that don't hold up to the facts...SOS is NOT in the favor of the SEC this year, it rarely is...

JM

Back
Top Bottom