• 45-50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-60

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The best way to build a team up if you want to go through free agency is either by having a star of your down (Randle? Kobe is too old at this point) or having a core waiting for the courted star.

I think trying to get the star through free agency first is not wise. These days anyways.

The best way to build a team up if you want to go through free agency is either by having a star of your down (Randle? Kobe is too old at this point) or having a core waiting for the courted star.

I think trying to get the star through free agency first is not wise. These days anyways.

Takes me 8,000 words to say what you just did in 50.

Why I think if the pie in the sky moves don't work.......

That IT & Stephenson would be a great idea. Could be two guys for 4 years combined $16-22mil from first year to the 4th year.

Last edited:
Takes me 8,000 words to say what you just did in 50.
And I l just learned from his 50 words
indifferent.gif

The most impressive stat about Lil Zeke's career thus far: maintaining the exact same True Shooting Percentage (57.4%) while increasing his Usage Rate for three straight seasons.

Ding:
Julius Randle Ready to Fulfill Lakers' Massive Expectations

It was just last year that Julius Randle walked into a new spot, looked around at a bunch of new dudes and soon enough established himself as the best player on the team.

So it goes for guys who are inherently bigger, stronger and better, and Randle has claimed his turf time and again in basketball gyms at different levels. Amid all the other much-hyped recruits at the University of Kentucky, it was no different.

Randle had his introductory news conference at the Los Angeles Lakers’ training facility Monday, still doing interviews in the gym as Robert Sacre and Xavier Henry were beginning individual workouts. With two of the Lakers’ filler players from their forgettable last season as a backdrop—Sacre the last guy picked in the 2012 NBA draft, Henry a typical post-hype reclamation project whose inconsistency and injury were emblematic of the team—it was a stark reminder that Randle will immediately be expected to be one of the best guys on this team, too.

And if it wasn’t clear enough, Randle sat down next to the Lakers’ Spanish TV play-by-play announcer, Adrian Garcia Marquez, for a fun interview on the team’s Spanish-language regional network.

Garcia Marquez adds punch to his broadcasts with emphatic nicknames for the Lakers’ top players, none done with higher energy than “El Macho” for main man Kobe Bryant. Garcia Marquez already had a nickname all lined up for the smooth, older-looking-than-his-years Lakers draft pick: “Don Julio.”

Garcia Marquez asked Randle to read some one-liners in Spanish using his new nickname, including this awesome one:

“No Dwight, Don Julio es tu padre.”

It was just two years ago that Dwight Howard entered the Lakers’ world, got the same giddy greeting from Jim Buss and grand tour of the NBA championship trophies in the office of Jeanie Buss—and disappointment ensued on every level. The expectations of Randle are completely different from those that awaited Howard, which is why we can joke about Randle being Howard’s father. But young Julius’ arrival is pretty much the first thing Lakers fans have had to get excited about post-Dwight.

Jim and Jeanie’s father, Jerry, is gone now. And Jim’s role as basketball decision-maker was on greater display on this mostly cloudy L.A. day, the audience filled with Jim’s people, including daughters Micaela and Milahna bringing Randle’s No. 30 jersey into the press conference and posing for photos with him afterward.

Jim Buss had said to Randle at the start of the events Monday: “Congratulations. Welcome to the family.”

It was not a small-time gathering, with Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak in a rare full-suited appearance. Although there was little new information offered by Randle after all the coverage of his draft selection Thursday, one interesting quote came from Kupchak—and it wasn’t so much the words as the conviction behind them.

Kupchak noted that Randle, 19, is “younger than most players who come into the NBA.” Yet Kupchak was unwavering about how surely Randle would work and compete to establish himself on this level.

“He’s going to earn it,” Kupchak said. “That’s what he did at Kentucky.”

Randle said the demands to win in his one year as NCAA runner-up at Kentucky prepared him for similar demands with the Lakers. His plans are to “reach my full potential” for himself and “getting back to winning” for the Lakers.

Randle was late to his press conference Monday because he was getting medical exams done, and the Lakers remain optimistic on that front. Kupchak said the Lakers should have a final decision toward the end of the week on leaving Randle’s surgically repaired right foot alone.

Randle intends to play for the Lakers’ NBA Summer League team in Las Vegas, and the team’s first practice is next Monday. The likely head coach of that team will be Lakers player development coach Mark Madsen, whose tenacity against Randle in his June 17 predraft workout was matched by Randle—answering any lingering questions for Buss and Kupchak about Randle’s fire.

Come late September, the Lakers will assemble a real team for next season, and we’ll see just where Randle fits in then. However, the Lakers’ free-agency plan is to invest only in guys who can make the team an immediate title contender, as they’d hoped with Howard, and otherwise be willing to wait.

In that case, even if Randle isn’t Howard, the Lakers very much needed something as real and promising as he is.

Hope cannot live on desperation shots at past-prime Chris Kaman and unmotivated Wesley Johnson alone.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-ready-to-fulfill-lakers-massive-expectations

Don't let a few comments you disagree with represent an entire thread over 200 pages long, that's a copout.

Don't let a few comments you disagree with represent an entire thread over 200 pages long, that's a copout.
I know that most folks pay attention to the money behind things, and I really don't, so I'm just going by that.

Some guy that broke the news if Dwight leaving is stating that it's 85-90% chance Melo will be in a Lakers uni

Source: some poster named X on Lakersground.

Take it with a grain of salt, but he's considered credible

I agree what the other guy had to say. Guys here are pure wishful thinkers. Always about hindsight talk and optimistic praises that has yet to prove itself. Yet, most ignore the obvious and its the fact that LA always does its best to compete. This aint no rebuilding franchise, particularly in this day and age.

Sit back, relax, and quit trying to convince ourselves that Randle frog eye , dom wilkin looking guy is the next Charles Barkley. Last I read, he has a possibility of foot surgery.

And in terms of everything, we still need a coach. Bringing Bryan Scott in, just tells me this team will be run by Kobe and some frivallous all star. If not, Scott will just be a dummy coach. Why pay for a coach, if the team cant even contend? Dummy coach as they call it.

Honestly we are in a conundrum right now. With the seemingly dysfunctional nature that the franchise has right now and the stigma that is around the Lakers I don't think they can afford to punt these next two years and think Durant is going to fall into their laps in 2016, hell OKC could win the title in the next two seasons and he re-up for life. If we don't get a Bron or Melo I'm fine with offering reasonable deals to 2 outta 3 Lance/Parsons/Bledsoe. You have to start somewhere and we need assets to do that even if nothing more than they can be moved later for bigger fish. Just cap space isn't attractive anymore to these new breed of players, you have to have something there physically to entice them.

Cheap assets > expensive assets.

This top 5 pick we could keep qualifies as a cheap asset.

Randle is a cheap asset.

Lance, Bledsoe, Monroe, Parsons all expensive assets. None equal a title, so why pay extra?

Magic have 4-5 cheap, blue chip talents. And a ton of cap space.
We sign those guys, they're older, cost more, and give us less cap space.

Mitch may fully try to get good fast, it will be the wrong play. Stay patient. Good, solid values/short term only.

Cheap assets > expensive assets.

This top 5 pick we could keep qualifies as a cheap asset.

Randle is a cheap asset.

Lance, Bledsoe, Monroe, Parsons all expensive assets. None equal a title, so why pay extra?

Magic have 4-5 cheap, blue chip talents. And a ton of cap space.
We sign those guys, they're older, cost more, and give us less cap space.

Mitch may fully try to get good fast, it will be the wrong play. Stay patient. Good, solid values/short term only.

Eh and the Magic aren't exactly going to be a destination for anyone with all those young assets either (and they'll have to overpay them soon enough to keep them there). I think the talent of the players has to be taken into account, Parsons, Lance and to a lesser extent Bledsoe are much better than anything ORL has now cheap or not. In a hypothetical move, talent should trump money every time. We can sign these guys to 3 or 4 year deals at REASONABLE prices and still be flexible in 2016 and beyond all while actually having talent on the roster. In trying to land bigger fish, you'll have to give up multiple cheap assets instead of maybe one asset cause the money doesn't match (see the Knicks getting Melo or what HOU is going to attempt to do in trading for Love).

It's a building process either way, just a different route to hopefully get to the same end result. We screwed up our one chance to get a dynamite cheap asset this year by not playing for better draft position, no way in hell they even attempt to tank again next year. They've already proven they can't do it right anyway.

Well we don't have any draft picks. And you want to wait for KD correct?

Dam u going real hard for that top 5 pick, gonna be a long season because that's Sacramento and Milwaukee territory |I

Then after that y'all wanna tank AGAIN for Durant ?

By tank for durant I mean not sign anybody good because we can maintain flexibility aka stank with cap space.

:x :{

I think I'm gonna be sick

We just had the worst season in history and couldn't land a top 5 pick, (could have with more thoughtful planning) and that's with Kobe gone the entire year basically. I can't see that happening again, thereby us forfeiting the pick to PHX. That's about as big a pipe dream as landing KD in 2016. I mean they'll have to fill out the roster with somebody.

I mean I believe we could all agree, except the cp clone, that we aren't going to be worse than this past season. People still wish for it to happen.

Last edited:
Yea I think people forget the whole point in wanting to pick up a few young assets now... :{

I don't know about y'all but if I'm a superstar going to a new team I damn sure not trying to go to that team to wait for a full rebuild of players..

For example: if we sign Lance now at age 23 if he starts to reach his potential then we have him on restricted status and got his bird rights.

Sacramento territory is getting happy for wins being a borderline to late lottery team every year

Cheering on a loser player to get you win number 28 to end the season then bouncing on you like he just **** on your head

Dont get it twisted

CP is adamant about that pick meaning he's adamant about us stinking up the entire league :{

Not judging but that's what it is.

Then if we don't the get the pick the organization and anyone who didnt want the pick won't understand or get the big picture

Imma need that L2B discipline because its gonna get super ugly this upcoming season.....sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom