2014 NBA Off-Season; Paul George suffers a double-compund-fracture, likely out for season. Speedy re

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, **** Lebron and Melo, but give me Luol Deng...LOL.

That Afflalo trade reminds me of the Anquan Boldin trade, practically just giving him away without alerting other teams. The Magic could've gotten way more than a Fournier
the Mavs and Spurs are the only teams to beat the "BIG THREE" ....

they did it with A TEAM .... a deep team with the right pieces

I'd rather see my team get deep vs gutted for a Superstar ...... the Mavs don't need another scorer, they need defenders

you acting like I said Lebron or Melo suck.... any team would want Lebron, that's a no-brainer.... but I'm not beat for him like most fans are....  I just prefer the Spurs model vs the Heat model

daht'all

Quote:

spurs?

bulls?
The spurs haven't been in the lottery in damn near two decades & the Bulls Have one Superstar with a bunch of good role players around him. They aren't exactly contenders as of right now.
giving you examples of teams who had success recently while working primarily through the draft to build their rosters..

pacers are also there.. and obviously the thunder

Last edited:

Quote:
giving you examples of teams who had success recently while working primarily through the draft to build their rosters
I wouldn't consider those teams as working through the draft like OKC.
spurs didn't work through the draft?

-Duncan, manu, parker, tiago, kawhi

and bulls drafted rose, noah, taj, butler and even deng.. also asik

boozer was their big free agent signing.. then they got guys for cheap to surround them

Last edited:
Exactly... Those teams didn't just build through the draft and get their core.. The Spurs have constantly been bringing in Veteran players throughout the years (not to mention a once a generation cornerstone through the whole tenure)

The Bulls Have also signed Veterans to nice contracts along the way and they are still not a championship contender. This myth that building from the draft is gonna turn you into a great team has got to stop. Sucking for years and having a stockpile of young talent isn't going to turn your team into a contender and all the Proof showcases that.

So after OKC drafted Durant, they should have traded their next few lottery picks for overpriced vets instead of drafting Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka because they want to "win now" right? Where would they be now if they did that?

NO could have brought in proven players without using their entire salary cap flexibility, and spending big money on players like Tyreke Evans. Davis doesn't want to lose in the first round every year either, and that's what's going to happen (if they even make it) because the Pelicans blew their load and locked themselves into this mediocre core for the forseeable future.

Look around at the league, look at the elite teams. All of them have a core with multiple stars. You can't win with just one superstar, not even Lebron could do that. Not even prime Garnett could win until he played with Pierce/Allen.

Who is the second star on this team? Who is gonna be AD's Westbrook, or Lillard, Harden, Wade? You telling me Jrue Holiday or Tyreke Evans is gonna be that guy? The Pelicans set the bar waay too low, they could have worked on building something much greater but they blew it. Davis is eventually going to get tired of carrying a mediocre team and getting whooped in the first round by stacked teams, and nobody will be surprised when he leaves to form his own super team.

You have one example of a team who drafted and legit got 3 SUPERSTARS out of it (2 of the 3 are top 5 players now)... and with that said still haven't won a championship.

Now go look at the past couple of lotteries and see how many teams have went the route of multiple lottery trips and still have no semblance of a contender.

since 2009 - 2014

Clippers - 3 Lottery picks
Grizzilies - 2 Lottery Picks
Thunder - 1 Lottery Pick
Kings - 6 Lottery Picks
Timberwolves - 6 Lottery Picks
Warriors - 3 Lottery Picks
Knicks - 1 Lottery Pick
Raptors - 4 Lottery Picks
Bucks - 3 Lottery Picks
Nets - 2 Lottery Picks
Bobcats - 5 Lottery Picks
Pistons - 4 Lottery picks
76ers - 5 Lottery Picks
Suns - 3 Lottery Picks
Wizards - 4 Lottery Picks
Jazz - 5 Lottery picks

Now look at all the teams who have over 3 Draft picks in the past 5 years... Clippers, Kings, Wolves, Warriors, Raptors, Bobcats, Pistons, 76ers, Suns, Wizards, Jazz

IN 5 YEARS those teams have combined for a total of 8 Playoff appearances.... 8 in 5 years COMBINED!!!

(* I should also mention that CP3 was added to the clippers who made 3, David Lee & A.I to the warriors who made 2, Al Jefferson to the Bobcats who made 1, Kyle Lowry to the Raptors who made 1)

But your telling me that is a much more effective way of building your team then adding good players through FA & Trade? The amount of failure that comes from stacking young players upon more and more young players is clearly evident in the NBA.

Outside of the Thunder their isn't even one team who's been a consistent playoff team, who was built heavily through the draft. So once again how is the pelicans sucking for 5 years straight a better gameplan to develop and keep AD than putting together a competitive playoff team and then adding pieces later?
So Golden State failed by drafting Curry and Klay? Portland failed by drafting Aldridge, Lillard, and Batum? Pacers failed by drafting George, Hibbert, and Stephenson? Washington failed by drafting Wall and Beal? Spurs failed by drafting Leonard and Splitter (I won't even bring up Duncan/Parker/Manu because I'm sure you'll say that's just luck)?

You claim that model doesn't work, or that OKC got lucky. So tell me, what team became successful following the Pelicans model? What rebuilding team became successful by trading all their lottery picks and handing out a bunch of bad contracts?

If you're going to make moves, get players who are actually good and pay them their appropriate value. Handing out massive contracts to the likes of Tyreke Evans and Eric Gordon will get you nowhere fast.

The Pelicans haven't even made the playoffs yet, and they already have no capspace. It's not even like Golden State where they saw how good they were first, and decided to make that next step and add an Igoudala, etc. The Pelicans have no idea how good their core actually is relative to the rest of the West. You better hope the team is actually good enough to make the playoffs this year, and that none of their numerous injury-prone players go down, because they have no flexibility moving forward.

Last edited:
Exactly... Those teams didn't just build through the draft and get their core.. The Spurs have constantly been bringing in Veteran players throughout the years (not to mention a once a generation cornerstone through the whole tenure)

The Bulls Have also signed Veterans to nice contracts along the way and they are still not a championship contender. This myth that building from the draft is gonna turn you into a great team has got to stop. Sucking for years and having a stockpile of young talent isn't going to turn your team into a contender and all the Proof showcases that.
they have brought in vets on the cheap..

or do you think diaw and marco were big signings?

or danny green when they got him out of Europe or whatever?

or patty mills wherever the hell they got him

Last edited:

So how did Indy get their young core that helped them to #1 seed in the East? Did George, Hibbert, and Stephenson just fall out of the sky?

Last edited:
[QUOTE url="/t/597358/2014-nba-off-season-san-antonio-spurs-win-fifth-championship-since-99/4040_20#post_20988070"]
Orisginally Posted by tyisny 

they have brought in vets on the cheap..

or do you think diaw and marco were big signings?

or danny green when they got him out of Europe or whatever?

or patty mills wherever the hell they got him
[/quote]
Those are all big signings and contributed to the championship, but further it's the fact they bought in so many of them because their big 3 are all making far below their worth and players want to play there. They combine to make only 30 mil. For comparison's sake, Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka next season will add up to ~47ms, then Perkins next of course with his 9 ms. If you want to consider Splitter part of the big 3 since he makes more than Manu, still only ~33mil for their top 3 contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom