2014 NBA Off-Season; Paul George suffers a double-compund-fracture, likely out for season. Speedy re

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's being facetious because his side of the argument is taking it in the shorts.

How so? Duncan is an established player right? Shouldn't he have taken another paycut according to your theory?

I completely agree, but I feel the affect is at a minimal now. Now let Tim and the Spurs f*** around and get another ring..... Kobe will be CRUCIFIED by the media, fans, and haters with the "What If" questions and talks about his selfishness and how he cost the franchise potential championships!!!

It should've already been apparent. Tim isn't really taking less, it's just year 3 of the same contract he's had.
It's a paycut in the sense that he could have opted out, and easily resigned for 16 M+.... They would've gave it to him, or some other team would have (Not that he would have even left)

Last edited:
It's a paycut in the sense that he could have opted out, and easily resigned for 16 M+.... They would've gave it to him, or some other team would have (Not that he would have even left)

That's not how the salary cap and contracts work but ok.

I don't think anyone expected him to opt out and negotiate for more. It would've been less.

But Kobe's deal was crippling, regardless of what Timmy did.

Tim's contract that he opted into is already low. If he opted out for a paycut, it just would've been even more generous.

Last edited:
More of the SAME PEOPLE arguing the SAME contract..... :smh:

As much as ya'll may not see this and have ya'll lives and happiness 100% involved in sports.... athletes don't exist for the pure purpose of making you happy nor do the NBA teams. If i'm in the top 5% of my profession ALL TIME i'm not taking a paycut, point blank period. These guys have worked their entire life for these checks and they deserve that money.

So regardless of what you may want to speculate, Kobe winning 5 championships and being involved in 7 Finals series isn't going to be diminished because another All time great decided to give up on tens of millions for the same results. Legacy usually doesn't involve contract disputes.

If i'm in the top 5% of my profession ALL TIME i'm not taking a paycut, point blank period.

Except Timmy did in 2012.

He opted into the final year of that deal today, which makes it news worth discussing.

Someone who isn't frequently in the Laker thread brought up the Kobe comparison.

Please stop the whining.

Tim Duncan winning a ring and taking less money, is going to hurt Kobe's legacy A LITTLE now. This is coming from a die hard Lakers fan. People are going to look back and say Kobe stopped himself from chasing rings by taking more Ms, especially when Melo, LeBron, Bosh, Wade, and Love are all available in some capacity.

Naw it wont hurt his legacy thats just reaching

Dont act like duncan was the main reason they won.

And i think kobe was stupid for taking all that money.

Theirs no taxes in texas, LA taxes aint no joke, cant blame kobe

Don't bring that logic in here. Kobe's maybe getting $12-$13 in gross salary after tax. Just reference the Melo chart @PMatic posted earlier, I think the Cali taxes are pretty comparable to the NY ones.

That's not how the salary cap and contracts work but ok.
Well please elaborate? I know your home team can offer you a max based on how many consecutive years you have been with the team and other teams can offer you the amount of their cap space, up to 16 M max or the MLE, if they have no cap space, which is a little over 5 M

Last edited:
Kobe deserved every cent of that money

I dont think it was best for building a winner but I'm also not Kobe

and lord knows if you told me i could make 13mill after taxes next year i dont give a damn about how it effects my employer or coworkers

Celebrating pay cuts is so Un American to me

In the words of Gordon Gekko

"Greed is good"

Guys like Kobe and Lebron at times have been vastly underpaid

The real value of those guys is actually at about 50 million a year

But as a Spurs fan, you can't complain when the cornerstone of your franchise wants to be vastly underpaid

Tim Duncan winning a ring and taking less money, is going to hurt Kobe's legacy A LITTLE now. This is coming from a die hard Lakers fan. People are going to look back and say Kobe stopped himself from chasing rings by taking more Ms, especially when Melo, LeBron, Bosh, Wade, and Love are all available in some capacity.

Naw it wont hurt his legacy thats just reaching

Dont act like duncan was the main reason they won.

And i think kobe was stupid for taking all that money.
The concept is Duncan taking less money to keep good players around and obtain player through free agency. We know he didn't do it alone.

@Antidope, I read something in regards to Duncan being able to exercise an option at the end of this year, which would in turn, rule in the possibility of him playing an additional year. I'm currently at work and don't have access to certain forums/sites. Are you able to clarify?

wait...so...the lakers approach kobe with a number on a slip of paper...and he was supposed to slide the paper back across the table with a response of "Too High, try again"? k

Kobe deserved every cent of that money

I dont think it was best for building a winner but I'm also not Kobe

and lord knows if you told me i could make 13mill after taxes next year i dont give a damn about how it effects my employer or coworkers

Kobe has already been paid for what he has done in the past.

He only deserves what he is going to do moving forward.

Don't bring that logic in here. Kobe's maybe getting $12-$13 in gross salary after tax. Just reference the Melo chart @PMatic posted earlier, I think the Cali taxes are pretty comparable to the NY ones.

So why are lakers fans mad at kobe for getting paid, when hes the main reason the franchise is still relevant, you never question a hof players contract, whether you think hes overpaid or not

They're mad because it affects their salary cap for the next couple of years when there are high quality free agents available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom