2014 NBA Summer League (Orlando: July 5-11) & (Las Vegas: July 11-21)

It's funny how many people who had never even seen the kid play were so quick to label AB a bust this year. Anyone who watched a semblance of his freshman campaign knew the goods were there.
Yes he's a good summer league player ..... When the real show rolls out, his minutes will be VERY limited just like last year.  Its a whole different ballgame once the season starts.  Bron Bron don't put up with mistakes.  There's one thing you can't replicate and that's size.  Dude is average sized, really undersized for the NBA when the Cavs need length, post presence or 3 point shooting to become a contender.  He brings none of those to the table.  Nerlens on the other hand boy o boy you will see this season.  An unmatched skill set, motor and a huge chip on his shoulder for not going #1  
mean.gif
  The Sixers are very smart!  Patience is a virtue and it will certainly pay off for them in the next five years.  They are building a REAL contender there in Philly.

coach cal still let him get away with it way too much when the entire defense knew he was going left everytime lol. Wasnt until towards the sec tourney cal slowed it down
Randle has one of those well I can't trust these other dudes so I'm going to force it myself type mentality.  Once the season starts Kobe will dead that.  Summer league play can bring out the worst and best in players due to their teammates.  Coach Cal actually worked on getting Randle and the WHOLE team to trust each other and pass and it paid off late in the season as evidence by their run to the title game.  SO everyone with the Cal allowed that, no Cal doesn't allow that and he hammers home team ball, but he can't go out there and play the games.  If you ever watch UK games you will see Cal yelling all game for players, Julius Randle included, to stop playing selfish and be their brothers keeper.  You coach five 17 - 18 year olds who have dominated their whole lives and tell me when you break through to them and get them to play team ball.  Haha I've seen video of James Young last year admitting he doesn't listen all the time.... its just the nature of young players.  One thing I love about Cal is he will always play the best talent.  Everyone knows Randles sweet spot is his left, but his game will evolve just takes time.

There are some nice young wings out there. Great for the game. 

That move that Drew did 
sick.gif

league full of combo guards and wings. makes for exciting action but the shooting % has been gross.

I cant believe bruh said bennett doesn't pring three point game to the cavs.

can't believe jordan drafted vonleh over dougie

I feel like crying.....looks like he dropped a lil weight too 
frown.gif

Dirty Doug looking fleet of foot in that vid

Working off those screens with ease, even that open court finish.

Last edited:

I feel like crying.....looks like he dropped a lil weight too :frown:

You taking Doug over Vonleh bc of 2 summer games. Give me Vonleh all day, I think they got the right man. Size, athleticism, motor and skilled. I'm ok with the 0-13 game at least he didn't disappear after going 0-5.

I feel like crying.....looks like he dropped a lil weight too :frown:

You taking Doug over Vonleh bc of 2 summer games. Give me Vonleh all day, I think they got the right man. Size, athleticism, motor and skilled. I'm ok with the 0-13 game at least he didn't disappear after going 0-5.

No, I vented other places after the vonleh pick on draft day....don't care for the pick at all...didn't want Doug either but I'd take him over vonleh for this current roster

Last edited:
Vonleh is on bust watch in my eyes.. I'm not just saying that because of his SL, I wasn't high on him at all going into the draft.

Dude had minimal impact on his team at Indiana, and all of a sudden gets projected top 5 and above Randle because "He has big hands".. I knew GMs wouldn't fall for that mess, you see how when draft day rolled around teams were smart enough not to fall for it. Classic measurables guy that gets hyped up despite having mediocre game film

My young Lakers last night :pimp: :smh: :smile:

Kobe gonna correct JuJu's dumb *** PG skills. "get your big *** in the post young buck"

Jordan Clarkson :pimp:

Vonleh is on bust watch in my eyes.. I'm not just saying that because of his SL, I wasn't high on him at all going into the draft.

Dude had minimal impact on his team at Indiana, and all of a sudden gets projected top 5 and above Randle because "He has big hands".. I knew GMs wouldn't fall for that mess, you see how when draft day rolled around teams were smart enough not to fall for it. Classic measurables guy that gets hyped up despite having mediocre game film
Not entirely true. His coach was awful and didn't utilize him nearly enough. That's why his scoring numbers aren't there. The rebounding numbers are great. He also was constantly in foul trouble. He's definitely not just a "measurables guy", and with Charlotte having him on the board that late it made perfect sense to take a chance on him.

I figured I post this in here. :nerd:

Data dialogue: Jabari Parker
Sitting down with the Bucks rookie for an inside look behind his own statistics

A simple, fundamental thing about sports statistics that gets overlooked in today's avalanche of numbers -- advanced or otherwise -- is that they actually represent things that happen on the playing surface. Numbers drive our dialogue, our graphics and our arguments.

They do not, however, drive the chatter in the locker room. Players care about numbers, of course, because that's what gets them paid. But nuanced discussions about how numbers come to represent specific skills, or which metrics are insightful -- that's not a typical part of the exchange between athlete and athlete, or athlete and journalist.

What we've decided to do is to try to tie the numbers that drive our analysis with the skill sets of the players we cover by going directly to the source. The questions are driven by statistical analysis, although we're not just throwing a bunch of math at unsuspecting players. We are, however, hoping that by analyzing their own skill sets, players can reveal the mindsets that result in the numbers that tell their story.

We kick off our set of dialogues today with Milwaukee Bucks rookie Jabari Parker.

1: Parker's 31.8 percent usage rate ranked 24th in the country. His offensive rating (111.7) ranked 499th -- lowest among Duke rotation players.

Bradford Doolittle: A term you hear a lot now is "offensive efficiency." What does that mean to you, and how do you learn to balance your ability to create shots pretty much when you want with making sure you keep your teammates involved?

Jabari Parker: When you find yourself aggressive, you get other people involved because help-side (defenders) comes over strong. One of my strengths is finding the open man, and that's something I'm working on to improve as part of my overall game.

2. Parker led the ACC in total rebounds and defensive rebounds, while ranking third in offensive boards.

BD: How much will your rebounding abilities translate to the NBA?

JP: It should translate to the NBA. I play in the 4 position, a lot of the 1's and the 2's are already setting up on defense. Most of my possessions are going to be staying back on defense and getting rebounds, and then look to make the outlet pass.

3. Of 67 DI players with a usage rate over 30 percent, Parker ranked 25th (2.7) in lowest turnover rate.

BD: What is the one individual statistic that you look at the most -- and you can't say "wins"?

JP: Turnovers. That's key to me, if I take advantage of a possession. Either with a pass, or with an efficient jump shot, and I at least get a chance at doing something positive. So I think turnover ratio is really big for me, and I'm trying to improve that.

4. According to Synergy, Parker ranked in the 90th percentile of all DI players, averaging 1.06 PPG on post-ups.

BD: Describe for me how important your post game is to your overall offensive arsenal?

JP: It's strong. If I can get position close to the basket, it can get me high-percentage shots. That's something I learned at Duke, and I'm proud to own.

5. Synergy rating against isolations: 52nd percentile, overall defensive rating: 19th.

BD: According to video analysis metrics, you scored pretty well on defense in isolations, but not so well overall. How good of a defender can you be at the NBA level?

JP: I think I've been doing a really good job on defense lately. Especially defending the post, and defending the ball screens. I even did that at Duke. It's one of the underrated aspects that I have that people overlook. Because if I play really good defense, I'll also have the ability to score. I was really big on that end for my team, because if I don't show up, we don't win. I think that's one of the underrated parts of my game, that I'm continuing to work on.

JP: It should translate to the NBA. I play in the 4 position, a lot of the 1's and the 2's are already setting up on defense. Most of my possessions are going to be staying back on defense and getting rebounds, and then look to make the outlet pass.
ZOMG! Jabari agrees that he's a 4! 

Back
Top Bottom