2014 NFL Draft Thread

People though I was crazy when I said this type of stuff 3 months ago.

Dude body catches

Huh...?

Disclaimer: I'm a USC homer, but dude watches 5 games from Lee's worst season, the one he spent badly injured from day 1 with a trash qb and trash coach and comes to all those conclusions?

"Hands like feet" and "can't contribute on ST?"

Would that have been his profile if dude had only watched five games from the previous season when Marqise was destroying defenses or would it have been the complete opposite. It's why all the speculating and gass bagging is pointless. No one knows anything yet.

Last edited:
Good stuff, CP. Always appreciate your effort. :pimp:

Your thoughts on the Vikings confirms my excitement about what they've done the last few years. If Teddy pans out...Oh, man. :lol:

I'm glad the Skins addressed their O-line, but I just don't know what to think of the Murphy pick. To me, it seemed like a MAJOR reach. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't know about it.

I said this in the season thread, but I'm really high on Lache Seastrunk. IF he can prove that he can catch the rock outta the backfield, I have no doubt that he'll supplant Roy Helu as the #2 back on the roster. I would also like to see him get a shot at returning kicks.

Competition is a great thing. I hope this Seastrunk pick is enough to light a fire under Chis THomson's ***. I'm not giving up on him just yet, but you gotta think that he's been put on notice.

If skins didn't take Trent there somebody else would have within the next 5 picks he's one of nose to the grinder types coaches love.

I really looking to watch more college ball this year, I always say that I'm going to watch more but then I get sidetracked. It makes the draft more fun when you know the prospects, especially the later rounds.

The Draft’s Catch-22

The Browns landed Manziel with the 22nd pick, but had to beat out three teams vying for the spot. Should the Vikings have pushed harder to move up for Johnny Football instead of angling to get Teddy Bridgewater ten picks later?

As we look at the NFL draft with some perspective now, the one pick that fascinates me is number 22. And not just because Johnny Manziel got taken there, but because there was such heated competition for the pick.

An impeccable NFL source told me this on Monday night:

The Eagles, who held the 22nd pick in the draft, informed teams after several players they loved at 22 were snatched—LSU wideout Odell Beckham, who went 12th to the Giants, and Virginia Tech cornerback Kyle Fuller, who went 14th to Chicago, among others—that they were auctioning the choice.

Six teams inquired about pick number 22. Philadelphia got four solid offers.

Though it was reported by Jay Glazer that the Vikings and Browns jousted for the 22nd pick (absolutely true), they were not alone. The source said that another team, not Minnesota, was the leader in the clubhouse when Eagles GM Howie Roseman told Cleveland GM Ray Farmer with three minutes left in the 10-minute draft period that he had to make a better offer than the one Cleveland had on the table.

Minnesota and Cleveland wanted Johnny Manziel. But it’s clear that the second-place finisher, which already had a good quarterback, wanted another player at 22. I wish I knew that other team. I do not. I don’t believe it is Houston.

Cleveland, as I reported Monday in my column, did sweeten its offer to move up from 26 to 22, by improving its last offer to the 26th pick and 83rd overall. (I don’t know what Cleveland’s offer was before this, but GM Ray Farmer had less than 30 seconds to improve it to Philadelphia’s satisfaction, and he did.)

If Farmer didn’t include the mid-third-round pick in the deal, Philadelphia absolutely would have made the deal with Team Unknown for the 22nd pick. Cleveland would have had to move on. In that case, Cleveland would have called Kansas City at 23 and Cincinnati at 24 to try to get a deal done. I am told Kansas City would have been receptive to an offer for the 23rd pick, but Cincinnati, in love with cornerback Darqueze Dennard, would have held onto the pick.

The finish line: Cleveland won. The anonymous team seeking a player other than Manziel finished second. Minnesota was third—obviously because the Vikings didn’t want to include the 2015 first-round pick. (I don’t blame them.) The Eagles would have likely made that trade knowing the three or four players they liked at 22 would have been gone at 40. And another anonymous team finished fourth.

So, many of you have asked in the wake of Manziel to Cleveland at 22 and Teddy Bridgewater at 32 whether the Vikings messed this up, whether Bridgewater is just a consolation prize.

All I can tell you is this: I was in Minnesota last month. I spoke to GM Rick Spielman, whom I have known for a long time, and he was dubious about every quarterback in the draft. I spoke to another member of the organization, an influential one, who was similarly skeptical about the quarterbacks in the draft. They didn’t have a fervent belief in any one of them. They did like Manziel. They didn’t want to sell the farm for him.

When the Vikings spent private time with Manziel before the draft at dinner, coach Mike Zimmer was pointed and blunt (which is exactly what Zimmer is) with Manziel. At one point, Zimmer said to Manziel, “I’ve been waiting all my life for this chance. Can I trust you?’’ Manziel said yes. Manziel told Zimmer they would win Super Bowls together. Zimmer loved it. Zimmer wasn’t sure whether he trusted him totally, but he loved it, and he loved the confidence.

So the Vikings wanted Manziel. That is true. But did they want him enough to give the 40th pick in this draft and next year’s first-round pick as well? No. Can’t say that I blame them either.

Definitely glad they didn't give up a first for him. They still ended up with a good QB for a fraction of what Manziel would of cost. I loved Johnny coming into the draft and was a bit disappointed we didn't take him at 9 but grabbing Bridgewater with the last pick of the first made things much better. Who knows where these guys careers will end up in 3-4 years but I'm glad we didn't trade away our future picks because we see how frustrating and hard that can be on a franchise.

Definitely glad they didn't give up a first for him. They still ended up with a good QB for a fraction of what Manziel would of cost. I loved Johnny coming into the draft and was a bit disappointed we didn't take him at 9 but grabbing Bridgewater with the last pick of the first made things much better. Who knows where these guys careers will end up in 3-4 years but I'm glad we didn't trade away our future picks because we see how frustrating and hard that can be on a franchise.

Yeah..Whether it was Manziel or Teddy or someone else, I just hope the Vikings got it right, Hymen. I'm sure you would agree.

Now get AP a ring, Zimmer!

Definitely agree. Have you heard these (now yearly :smh: ) reports about us trading AP 'sooner than later' (prob. after this season) to get some value or him before the eventual '30 year decline?' Mike Freeman wrote about it, it's getting tiresome to hear about but what do you think? Some part of me thinks it's a wise idea (I love the guy to death, since he's the only one that shows up consistently) but one man does not make a team... if we could get a nice haul for him, I would be upset as hell but would understand the reasoning.

http://fansided.com/2014/05/11/nfl-rumors-vikings-looking-way-get-rid-adrian-peterson/#!M5Yuw

Last edited:
If the Vikes pull that off, and get a decent haul, 2-3 picks, even if they are spread out, when you consider their last 3 years, they could string 5 drafts together, that's how you build a team that can last for a good 5-6 year run. I would FULLY support a deal they make, knowing AP, as great as he is, can't beat time in the next 2-3 years, get your value now, while it's still high, and completely overhaul the roster with youth, and depth, and go from there.

Look no further than Hershel Walker and what it did for the Cowboys.

The Vikings should absolutely do any deal they can if a team dangles multiple picks at them.

Yeah, it's pretty annoying. The main problem I have is that these yahoo's are basing Adrian Peterson on a career arc that also includes your average running backs. AP is a generational type guy. He's not immune to declining play, but I feel pretty confident that he's still got more than just a few years of productive seasons. If they did feel the need to trade him then so be it. Team before the player, but they better be damn sure he isn't capable of hitting 1200 yards anymore.

Just the direction this team is heading, especially on offense, I can see AP still being very productive for at minimum another 3 years. Their offensive line is getting better and better and with Teddy, they should be able to have more than a sufficent passing game to lighten the load and there's plenty of talent on that offensive side to distribute the ball too. AP won't need 20 carries a game anymore. I'm also hoping McKinnon is utilized and then productive enough to give AP some blows here and there.

Last edited:
^ And then there's that side. I agree with that too, but they better get the right haul if they do it and not only that, but hit on the draft picks that they get. I'm confident in Spielman now to make the right picks, but they just better know what they're doing if they decided to trade him.

Edit: I'll add one more thing. People might laugh at this, but I think the Vikings will be markedly improved next season. I also feel like they have a good chance at a serious run in 2015 (year 2 at TCF Bank Stadium). Just hold onto him for 2 more years and see what happens. After that, do what you gotta do.

Last edited:
I feel like this season is going to decide Spielman's future with us.. he was on the hot seat a bit last season, if Bridgewater doesn't do well and ultimately.. if the team doesn't win games, I think he's gone.. which kind of sucks because I think he has done an amazing job bringing in talent come draft time as CP has eluded to.

I also feel AP isn't like most other RBs, his comeback from that injury to do what he did is a prime example of what separates him from most RBs. Like said though, If we get a deal that we cannot refuse, I hope they jump on it. Definitely need a year to assess what our 3rd and 2nd year guys to, along with getting a gauge of where the rookies can go.

I just want to win man :frown:

(soundin' like a Lions fan right now)

I completely agree. Enough BS letdowns in these NFCCG's and get a ring already. My pop's would appreciate it. :lol:

I think Spielman has a few more years though. The onus right now is on Zimmer to live up to the hype. I think the talent is in place, for the most part.

We in this together man. Division rival or not I always like to see teams win that never have previously.

After the Lions though

Trust, I know it's a hard choice, but it will absolutely work.

Jimmy clearly pulled off the Cowboy trade and it worked, and when he came to Miami, he wanted to deal Marino, but the Miami fanbase would have lit him up. But he wanted to, in 96.

Jimmy in 3 drafts, pulled Gardener, Zach Thomas, Jason Taylor, Sam Madison and Patrick Surtain. In 3 drafts!!!! Miami had ZERO defense for a decade, and in 3 years, Jimmy gave them one helluva unit.

Had he been given 3-4 extra picks over two years, he could have replaced Marino with a decent QB, added Oline, and maybe another weapon or two on offense, and the team would have been much stronger going forward. I wish like hell he would have pulled the trigger.

AP is great, but is his last 3 years worth more than a possible decade of 3-4 other players, on top of your last 3 drafts????

Nah, you're right. The biggest reason I think myself and others want him to stay is because he's a favorite (we're still fans, of course). It's that emotional connection with him on the roster, but as far as the overall direction and for what's best for the future of the franchise...Trading him could really be huge.

And honestly...He had a chance. He fumbled it away along with others and Favre's INT.

Last edited:
Trust, I know it's a hard choice, but it will absolutely work.

Jimmy clearly pulled off the Cowboy trade and it worked, and when he came to Miami, he wanted to deal Marino, but the Miami fanbase would have lit him up.

That right there is what I'm trying to avoid.. thinking with my heart and not my mind.

(Now soundin' like Drake)

Nah, you're right. The biggest reason I think myself and others want him to stay is because he's a favorite (we're still fans, of course). It's that emotional connection with him on the roster, but as far as the overall direction and for what's best for the future of the franchise...Trading him could really be huge.

And honestly...He had a chance. He fumbled it away along with others and Favre's INT.

That game still haunts my dreams man. We had EVERY chance to put it away. Then that OT garbage that happened. ugh

Back
Top Bottom