2015-2016 NBA Regular Season - MDA to HOU - All-NBA - Harden snubbed - Anthony Davis is broke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spurs had the best defense in the league by far.. Kawhi was the leader of that defense.
So....I am curious if you and others felt the same way last year.  Or is the best defensive player on the best defense in the league reasoning only valid this year?
Should have been draymond last year.

Are you really upset Kiwi took it this year? Srs
Serious answer....no, I am not upset that KL got the award this year.  Am I upset that he won it two years in a row?  You're damn right I am.  Every argument that someone can make for KL this year is pretty much the EXACT reason Draymond should have won it last year (if you are putting aside the fact that KL missed nearly 25% of the season last year).  

This year, in spite of Draymond being a shade better statistically than KL, I would have said it was a true coin flip.  But I thought that the voters would lean towards Draymond for basically the same reasons they leaned towards KL last year.

Serious answer....no, I am not upset that KL got the award this year.  Am I upset that he won it two years in a row?  You're damn right I am.  Every argument that someone can make for KL this year is pretty much the EXACT reason Draymond should have won it last year (if you are putting aside the fact that KL missed nearly 25% of the season last year).  

This year, in spite of Draymond being a shade better statistically than KL, I would have said it was a true coin flip.  But I thought that the voters would lean towards Draymond for basically the same reasons they leaned towards KL last year.

Draymond better win something this year. I feel how you do. It was close last year and they gave it to Leonard. It was close again this year. I feel they should've gave Green the nod since Leonard got it last year. Award both

So....I am curious if you and others felt the same way last year.  Or is the best defensive player on the best defense in the league reasoning only valid this year?
FWIW, The Spurs are HISTORICALLY great on defense this year. This is more than just best in the league.
That is why I thought it was a true coin flip.  Do you give it to the leader of a historically good defense?  Or do you give it to a guy who had slightly better defensive stats than said leader?

Like I said a few times before, I am not mad Kawhi won it this year.  He isnt undeserving.  But I dont think he was deserving last year, so him being known as "the first back to back winner since..." or whatever narrative is being thrown around is kinda BS to me.

And I think most people are acknowledging that Draymond rightfully should have won it last year. That's all we can really say. Doesn't make sense to say Kawhi shouldn't have won it this year because he stole it from Draymond last year, IMO.

And I think most people are acknowledging that Draymond rightfully should have won it last year. That's all we can really say. Doesn't make sense to say Kawhi shouldn't have won it this year because he stole it from Draymond last year, IMO.
And I am not saying that....just to be clear.  I just thought that using the logic the voters did last year, that they would use similar logic this year.  Not saying that because Dray was robbed last year that they should have just given it to him this year.

And I am not saying that....just to be clear.  I just thought that using the logic the voters did last year, that they would use similar logic this year.  Not saying that because Dray was robbed last year that they should have just given it to him this year.

OK, I see what you're saying and its a reasonable position to take. But the people who vote for these awards definitely do not always seem to follow the same logic from year to year. At the end of the day, the problem last year may have been that some of the voters just didn't like Draymond.

that put a hand up but dont do anything else. i do that when i play with my nephews. make it seem like im trying but im letting them get they shot off.

i saw that quite a few times. it was good acting on the jazz part cause i see many people were fooled by it or at least wanted to be fooled by it. 
and how is that different than any other defense being played in the nba?

in most cases on D you dont want to jump you just want to put a hand up to make the shot more difficult 

no one in the nba is acting or trying to let their opponents have a great game, its just something people want to think because they cant believe what actually happened
How is playing defense the way we play against our nephews different than regular defense in the NBA? 
laugh.gif

Against my nephews, I do things along the lines of stepping into the FT lane prematurely; playing in an actualk league trying to win a game, I stay put in case he misses so he doesn't get a second stab at it.

Conceding. Defending.

"Just something people want to believe because what he did was just so awesome."

roll.gif

I'm not making up the FT thing. He did that. There's video of it. So I'm to believe he was defended fiercely but for JUST that final FT attempt, Gordon stepped in just in case of a miss, favoring Kobe for ONLY that split second.

*thumbs up and a wink*

Riiiight.
can you give me one single example of intentionally bad defense on kobe from that game? no one is saying the jazz played DPOY level defense, they simply played league average defense. Almost all his shots were well contested, as contested as any other career 50 point game highlight video.

again, jazz's d was the same as any other average nba team. 

how come your only example is a moment where no defense is being played and the game was already in the bag? 

dudes love to come up with conspiracy theories for things they dont agree on 
laugh.gif

All kinds of people saw that teammates were playing to Kobe Day.

All kinds of people can see that the Jazz were playing to Kobe Day.

Gordon steps into the FT line.

Conspiracy, though. 
laugh.gif

delusional Kobe fans (meaning that not all of them are): "Nah, he's just that much of a beast."

Sure thing.

*moved to non-playoff thread* No sense in discussing Kobe in here. Someone like Timmy deserves to be discussed in here; not volume shooting Kome Cryant.

Last edited:
I really don't see how the Jazz gifted Kobe the game or anything like that. Maybe towards the end they just choked

Throughout the entire game they were killing LA. They were playing regular defense on Kobe, nothing stood out to me like they were playing soft coverage

I really don't like Kobe or his style of play either

Kanye shrug

that put a hand up but dont do anything else. i do that when i play with my nephews. make it seem like im trying but im letting them get they shot off.
 i saw that quite a few times. it was good acting on the jazz part cause i see many people were fooled by it or at least wanted to be fooled by it. 

in most cases on D you dont want to jump you just want to put a hand up to make the shot more difficult 

no one in the nba is acting or trying to let their opponents have a great game, its just something people want to think because they cant believe what actually happened
How is playing defense the way we play against our nephews different than regular defense in the NBA? :lol:

Against my nephews, I do things along the lines of stepping into the FT lane prematurely; playing in an actualk league trying to win a game, I stay put in case he misses so he doesn't get a second stab at it.

Conceding. Defending.

"Just something people want to believe because what he did was just so awesome."

:rofl:

I'm not making up the FT thing. He did that. There's video of it. So I'm to believe he was defended fiercely but for JUST that final FT attempt, Gordon stepped in just in case of a miss, favoring Kobe for ONLY that split second.

*thumbs up and a wink*

Riiiight.
can you give me one single example of intentionally bad defense on kobe from that game? no one is saying the jazz played DPOY level defense, they simply played league average defense. Almost all his shots were well contested, as contested as any other career 50 point game highlight video.

how come your only example is a moment where no defense is being played and the game was already in the bag? 

dudes love to come up with conspiracy theories for things they dont agree on :lol:  

Conspiracy, though. :lol:

delusional Kobe fans (meaning that not all of them are): "Nah, he's just that much of a beast."

Sure thing.

*moved to non-playoff thread* No sense in discussing Kobe in here. Someone like Timmy deserves to be discussed in here; not volume shooting Kome Cryant.
Kobe did a good job attacking Lyles in pick and roll and at the rim.

Hood didn't guard Kobe all that much. Hayward was fine. Not sure what Snyder was thinking having Ingles guard Kobe though.

How is playing defense the way we play against our nephews different than regular defense in the NBA? 
laugh.gif

Conceding. Defending.

roll.gif

*thumbs up and a wink*

Riiiight.

dudes love to come up with conspiracy theories for things they dont agree on 
laugh.gif

Conspiracy, though. 
laugh.gif

Sure thing.

"give me one example"

"all kinds of people can see the jazz were playing to Kobe Day" (the same kinds of people who would hate on kobe no matter what)

again, take a look at the video all his shots were well contested. they were defended as well as you would expect an average NBA team to defend.

these are examples of why the jazz did not intentionally let kobe score

so far all you have is gordon stepping into the key on a freethrow, not an example of defense and it happened after the game was pretty much over.

you can hate kobe for taking that many shots, or for the entire lakers team for feeding him all night there are clear examples of this being true.

however you have no proof that the jazz went easy on him other than "I don't like kobe and I want it to be true" 

I'm presenting you with video evidence, you're just pointing at some other kobe hater and saying "look he agrees with me too!"

Yes, as contested as when we play our nephew.

We've covered that.

Not one person ever said that Kobe got the ball and the Jazz would just stand still, or just sit down on the court.
laugh.gif

Yes, as contested as when we play our nephew.

We've covered that.

Not one person ever said that Kobe got the ball and the Jazz would just stand still, or just sit down on the court.:lol:
Those are all good NBA level contests though

again, how are the Jazz contests any different from any other contests in an average regular season game?

You stay saying things without providing evidence

We're watching the same thing, but you're seeing them with Game 7 Finals tenacity in their movements, I see them with 'Sure, nephew, you suuuure got me!' tenacity.

'S all it is.

No I'm seeing regular average at best defense that you would expect from a non playoff team.

It's called looking at things rationally when it comes to Kobe, you should try it sometime

No I'm seeing regular average at best defense that you would expect from a non playoff team.

It's called looking at things rationally when it comes to Kobe, you should try it sometime
One of 3 people who legit chime in literally every single Kobe discussion of criticism suggesting that someone think rationally regarding Kobe.

Boooooyyyyyy 
laugh.gif

One of 3 people who legit chime in literally every single Kobe discussion of criticism suggesting that someone think rationally regarding Kobe.

Boooooyyyyyy :lol:  
As usual when you can't retort to the argument you focus on who's talking.

Can you even say it was a regular average defense though? No denying the ball. Double teams came late, if at all. :lol:
When has Kobe ever had trouble getting the ball because of ball denial? Just because it was ineffective doesn't mean it wasn't there, Utah actually did a good job of forcing him to catch the ball at the three point line rather than letting him get post up opportunities where he is way more efficient. If you watched the game you would have seen how he did a great job recognizing double teams, passed it out and got into better scoring position. So again, because they were not effective doesn't mean they didn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom