2015 NY Knicks offseason thread, Los Almighty appreciation thread

I think first round should be best of 5, the rest can remain at 7. Not competitive enough to have all 7 game series'.

Another factor here is the amount of days between games. They stretch it out so long to try and keep more interest and it does the opposite since its just so watered down. Foregone conclusion Cleveland is coming out of East, West is more wide open.

first round should be best of 5, after that best of 7

nobody wants to watch Nets-Hawks for a week 
laugh.gif

best of 5 is fair for 1v8 and 2v7 but once it gets to 3v6 and 4v5 you need a 7 game series for that.

Last edited:
tbh he would've either a) been traded or b) not develop into anything close to what he is today

best of 5 is fair for 1v8 and 2v7 but once it gets to 3v6 and 4v5 you need a 7 game series for that.
Really though? Do you really NEED a 7 game series for any of the series or is it just what we have become used to? There is a good reason why the NCAA Tournament and NFL Playoffs garner much more general interest than the NBA Playoffs. Less games increases the competition level and Americans love competition. I get that we have all become used to the 7 games series but couldnt you just imagine the excitement that a best of 3 playoff series would bring? It would be like March Madness with the feeling that anything can happen. If a team gets hot at the right time, then they would have a legit shot at winning it no matter who they are. Nowadays there are on;ly 2-3 teams any given year that have a legit shot at winning a title. I get that the NBA kind of likes that which is why they changed the first round back to Best of 7 after being Best of 5 for awhile, but I think if the NBA implemented that kind of change it would make the league so much more exciting. Just my POV.

Steph Curry 
pimp.gif
mean.gif

Really though? Do you really NEED a 7 game series for any of the series or is it just what we have become used to? There is a good reason why the NCAA Tournament and NFL Playoffs garner much more general interest than the NBA Playoffs. Less games increases the competition level and Americans love competition. I get that we have all become used to the 7 games series but couldnt you just imagine the excitement that a best of 3 playoff series would bring? It would be like March Madness with the feeling that anything can happen. If a team gets hot at the right time, then they would have a legit shot at winning it no matter who they are. Nowadays there are on;ly 2-3 teams any given year that have a legit shot at winning a title. I get that the NBA kind of likes that which is why they changed the first round back to Best of 7 after being Best of 5 for awhile, but I think if the NBA implemented that kind of change it would make the league so much more exciting. Just my POV.

Steph Curry :pimp: :smh:
The competition level doesn't increase. Lol Those are 1 game series and the chips are on Sunday and Monday during prime time. However, I agree that the series could be shorter. Single games make the game more important but I don't think the athletes would play better as a result unless you mean, competitive, as in, in players aren't saving anything for the next game.

Last edited:
If we drafted Curry he'd just be DMing yams from a hotel room in da heightz if they want the pipe

Last edited:
The competition level doesn't increase. Lol Those are 1 game series and the chips are on Sunday and Monday during prime time. However, I agree that the series could be shorter. Single games make the game more important but I don't think the athletes would play better as a result unless you mean, competitive, as in, in players aren't saving anything for the next game.
That is my point exactly. The less games in a series the higher the general interest is. And it is because the level of competition increases. Like you said, teams lay it all out on the line because eaCch game counts for a lot more. Also with less games in a series, the unlikely is more likely to happen. Like I said before, the NBA gets boring to some because basically it is only 2-3 teams with a legit shot at the title every year making a lot of these long *** 7 game series not even worth watching. As somebody said earlier, who the **** needs to watch Nets/Hawks for a week + besides Nets fans and Hawks fans (2 AWFUL fan bases, btw). Lowering the series from 7 games to 3 games would give more teams a better shot at winning the title. No team in the East has much of a shot to beat the Cavs in a 7 game series this season. But if the NBA shortened the playoffs to best of 3 series throughout, there would be much more of a March Madness "anything can happen" feel during the games which would increase the competition level as well as general interest. That is what I am saying.

And don't try to look at excuses as to what makes the NFL playoffs and NCAA tournament the most popular sports tournaments in America. It is all about the 1 game, once you are in anything can happen type of feel. With the NFL playoffs, you obviously have your playoffs but nobody is a lock to even make it to the Superbowl let alone win it. That is what America loves about football so much. The NBA should try and take away this aspect of what makes the NFL and NCAA Tournament so great and enhance their own product as well as saving fans from suffering through these horrible early round playoff series and help the players out by having them play less.

As for the "their games are only more popular because the finals are on Sunday and Monday night prime time" thing. Well I could did that if it werent for the fact that the first round of the NCAA Tournament this year (On Wednesday and Thursday during the work day) received higher average ratings than the highest NBA 1st playoff game ever. The highest rated NBA round 1 game 1 ever was the Lakers beating the T'Wolves on April 20th, 2003. It received a 5.1 rating. The highest rated Game 1 this year was Cavs over Celtics, which received a 4.5 rating. The first Thursday of the NCAA tournament this year received a highest ever 6.6 rating. And the majority of these games are played during the week day.

These 7 game series dillutes the product that is NBA Playoff Basketball. IMO if the NBA thought about shortening the series they could help everybody out while still making as much money as they currently do or more. Idk the exact #s on how much $ the NBA makes during the playoffs but I do know that if the NBA went to best of 3 playoffs, similar to the NFLp layoffs and NCAA Tournament their overall viewership and interest per average game would sky rocket. Nobody really cares about a lot of these playoff series until the later rounds and usually only games 6 or 7. Go to best of 3 and the NBA playoffs has a much more high stakes feel that would draw much greater audiences both on a narrow and broad scale right off the bat. Like I said, I dont know the exact numbers, but I am pretty sure that the peak in overall interest that would come from shortening these series would more than make up for a couple of games less played. After all the NFL makes a lot more money than the NBA does and the team that wins the superbowl only plays a maximum of 20 games in the regular and post season.

So the NBA would still make their $, probably more. In addition to helping themselves out they would also be making these series a lot more exciting, better for the fans. All while taking less stress off their players bodies. Wins all around and if Silver was as forward thinking as he likes to say he is, he should say "Screw history in this instance. I am going to try and improve our brand any way I can by taking away the most essential aspect away from the NFL and NCAA, who both have more financially successful postseason tournaments."

I don't think this will ever happen primarily because of the historical aspect, because NBA players/teams are constantly being compared with great players/teams of the past and this would be a major change that the NBA has never experimented before. But I do think that it would be beneficial for everyone in the long run and I am very curious if it has ever been considered or even brought up to Adam silver and the crew.

That is my point exactly. The less games in a series the higher the general interest is. And it is because the level of competition increases. Like you said, teams lay it all out on the line because eaCch game counts for a lot more. Also with less games in a series, the unlikely is more likely to happen. Like I said before, the NBA gets boring to some because basically it is only 2-3 teams with a legit shot at the title every year making a lot of these long *** 7 game series not even worth watching. As somebody said earlier, who the **** needs to watch Nets/Hawks for a week + besides Nets fans and Hawks fans (2 AWFUL fan bases, btw). Lowering the series from 7 games to 3 games would give more teams a better shot at winning the title. No team in the East has much of a shot to beat the Cavs in a 7 game series this season. But if the NBA shortened the playoffs to best of 3 series throughout, there would be much more of a March Madness "anything can happen" feel during the games which would increase the competition level as well as general interest. That is what I am saying.

And don't try to look at excuses as to what makes the NFL playoffs and NCAA tournament the most popular sports tournaments in America. It is all about the 1 game, once you are in anything can happen type of feel. With the NFL playoffs, you obviously have your playoffs but nobody is a lock to even make it to the Superbowl let alone win it. That is what America loves about football so much. The NBA should try and take away this aspect of what makes the NFL and NCAA Tournament so great and enhance their own product as well as saving fans from suffering through these horrible early round playoff series and help the players out by having them play less.

As for the "their games are only more popular because the finals are on Sunday and Monday night prime time" thing. Well I could did that if it werent for the fact that the first round of the NCAA Tournament this year (On Wednesday and Thursday during the work day) received higher average ratings than the highest NBA 1st playoff game ever. The highest rated NBA round 1 game 1 ever was the Lakers beating the T'Wolves on April 20th, 2003. It received a 5.1 rating. The highest rated Game 1 this year was Cavs over Celtics, which received a 4.5 rating. The first Thursday of the NCAA tournament this year received a highest ever 6.6 rating. And the majority of these games are played during the week day.

These 7 game series dillutes the product that is NBA Playoff Basketball. IMO if the NBA thought about shortening the series they could help everybody out while still making as much money as they currently do or more. Idk the exact #s on how much $ the NBA makes during the playoffs but I do know that if the NBA went to best of 3 playoffs, similar to the NFLp layoffs and NCAA Tournament their overall viewership and interest per average game would sky rocket. Nobody really cares about a lot of these playoff series until the later rounds and usually only games 6 or 7. Go to best of 3 and the NBA playoffs has a much more high stakes feel that would draw much greater audiences both on a narrow and broad scale right off the bat. Like I said, I dont know the exact numbers, but I am pretty sure that the peak in overall interest that would come from shortening these series would more than make up for a couple of games less played. After all the NFL makes a lot more money than the NBA does and the team that wins the superbowl only plays a maximum of 20 games in the regular and post season.

So the NBA would still make their $, probably more. In addition to helping themselves out they would also be making these series a lot more exciting, better for the fans. All while taking less stress off their players bodies. Wins all around and if Silver was as forward thinking as he likes to say he is, he should say "Screw history in this instance. I am going to try and improve our brand any way I can by taking away the most essential aspect away from the NFL and NCAA, who both have more financially successful postseason tournaments."

I don't think this will ever happen primarily because of the historical aspect, because NBA players/teams are constantly being compared with great players/teams of the past and this would be a major change that the NBA has never experimented before. But I do think that it would be beneficial for everyone in the long run and I am very curious if it has ever been considered or even brought up to Adam silver and the crew.
There's 60 some odd teams in the first round of the NCAA tournament, they should have higher ratings. That's a lot of students an alumni supporting a school that may be playing their only game of the tourney. I was specifically comparing the NBA champ games with the NCAA finals and Superbowl.

There's 60 some odd teams in the first round of the NCAA tournament, they should have higher ratings. That's a lot of students an alumni supporting a school that may be playing their only game of the tourney. I was specifically comparing the NBA champ games with the NCAA finals and Superbowl.
What you dont think NBA teams that represent entire states and cities have larger fan bases than college basketball teams? Come on now.

Yeah when Davidson or a small college school like that is playing their only game in the tournament all the students and Alumni are going out in drones to support their team for that game. Whether it be actually showing up to the game or watching it live on TV. But a lot of those schools have less than 10,000 students. Sure you have to include faculty and alumni as well, but all of them supporting the school definitely comes nowhere near 1 million viewers. On the other hand, NBA teams, even the smallest market NBA teams have well over a million passionate fans. 

The primary reason (not the only reason but definitely the primary reason IMO) that the NFL Playoffs and NCAA Tournament are so popular is because of the one game to lay it all out on the line factor that makes you believe that anything is possible. The NBA Playoffs does not have that and it is not as fun to watch as a result. This leads to a lot of long drawn out boring series between two teams that usually have no shot of winning the title anyway.

IMO if the NBA is constantly considering ways to improve their brand/product, they would be wise to address/fix this.

Last edited:
What you dont think NBA teams that represent entire states and cities have larger fan bases than college basketball teams? Come on now.

Yeah when Davidson or a small college school like that is playing their only game in the tournament all the students and Alumni are going out in drones to support their team for that game. Whether it be actually showing up to the game or watching it live on TV. But a lot of those schools have less than 10,000 students. Sure you have to include faculty and alumni as well, but all of them supporting the school definitely comes nowhere near 1 million viewers. On the other hand, NBA teams, even the smallest market NBA teams have well over a million passionate fans. 

The primary reason (not the only reason but definitely the primary reason IMO) that the NFL Playoffs and NCAA Tournament are so popular is because of the one game to lay it all out on the line factor that makes you believe that anything is possible. The NBA Playoffs does not have that and it is not as fun to watch as a result. This leads to a lot of long drawn out boring series between two teams that usually have no shot of winning the title anyway.

IMO if the NBA is constantly considering ways to improve their brand/product, they would be wise to address/fix this.
I wont guess on fan bases but march madness is something thing different. I think your larger schools have bigger fan bases than some NBA teams though and your team may only play 1 game. But that's an aside anyway as the comparison was originally meant to address the 7 game championship of the NBA to the 1 game Championship of the NCAA and NFL.

Back
Top Bottom