2015 NY Knicks offseason thread, Los Almighty appreciation thread

John Starks is the reason why I became a Knicks fan and wore the number 3 on my basketball jersey when I was a small kid.

View media item 1572210
:pimp:
I've often referred to JR Smith as JR Starks, but that's ONLY in relation to his streaky shooting. Starks had mad heart and gave effort on the court. I'll NEVER forget the dunk! That was the moment he truly became a Knick for life in my eyes.

Level with me ya'll...

When is NY going to win a championship? 
frown.gif

Starks is my all-time-favorite Knick and he should get his number retired. I can't stand to see other cats rock #3 and don't do it justice, That's Starks' number.

trust me i also dont like Starks because of game 7 but he was the epitome of hard work which represented NY and the Knicks in general this is why i respect him and he will always be one of my favorite Knicks its just that game 7 is hard to forget about... but you also have to remember he was part of the reason why the Knicks were so good and the game before that he basically carried the Knicks team just came up short at the end when the dream blocked his 3 on game 6 :smh:

If not for Starks, Knicks don't even get to that game 7. Dude had the most heart ever. I wish I wasn't so young at the time so I could appreciate it more
Agree with these sentiments completely.

Starks should have his # in the rafters. First thing I do once I successfully overtake the Knicks from Cablevision/Dolan 
roll.gif

Man forget Game 7, if only that 3 pointer at the end of Game 6 went in. Would have been a championship winning buzzer beater (at the Garden nonetheless) that would have capped off a 30+ point outing (I believe) and be one of the most famous shots ever. It would have certainly cemented Stark's place in history as well as his deserved spot amongst the legends in the MSG rafters.

Also would give Ewing the top 20 (at least) recognition amongst the all time greats, like he deserves. What was he? ******* #45 in Simmon's' BOB rankings? So ******* disrespectful. Even Jordan had ******* Scottie Pippen. ******* Hakeem and his freak athleticism 
mad.gif

Sidenote: I also LOATHE recent talk about how JR cant let go of his loser "Knicks mentality" and take on a "championship mentality" like the rest of the Cavs.

I mean this is all true in theory. JR is certainly a ******* loser to the very definition of the word, and it is why he continues to buckle the more he is relied upon in the playoffs. But JR was a loser LONG before he joined the Knicks and will continue to be a ******* loser long after he left the Knicks. He did the same **** in Denver and then more than ever in NY when we needed him to step up the most.

The Knicks, if anything, were losers for relying on Smith to be Melo's beta-dog, not the other way around. Well, and because of Dolan. But people will use any ******* material they could find to **** all over Melo's leadership. Such a misunderstood player. People often get his loyalty mistaken for selfishness/weakness/lack of leadership. Hope so bad that Melo can get his in NY. IDK if that is possible under Dolan's regime but I certainly hope so more than I hope for 99% of things in life.
mean.gif

Articles I have read recently about Melo being the only Knick (Besides JR and Shump) to not completely abandon Chris Smith after his career went out in flames (like it should have),  as well as Melo staying in touch all the time with Shump/JR throughout the playoffs (despite how strongly I feel against the Smith brothers), truly shows all that you need to about his character. Melo is loyal to a ******* fault. This is sometimes a bad thing, but mostly a good thing.

**** anyone who says he isnt a "leader" just because he doesnt have the passing abilities of Lebron and doesnt rally his teammates in the locker room before every game. Melo is most definitely a leader. Like how everyone called out Melo for being "selfish" for staying with the Knicks. Leaving the Knicks behind is just not who Melo is. He has never been this way. It isnt in his blood to quit on the ground floor. Especially after forcing his hand to NY in the first place. Melo is not like Lebron in this respect, and that is a good thing. Melo wants to be the one in charge of changing the culture of the Knicks. Whether this happens or not can be argued all day, and we wont find out for years, but placing the blame on Melo is SO misguided. His loyalty is his greatest strength and his most significant weakness. Hopefully people will realize that before it gets too late.

Saw that Laker fans were welcome and thought I dip my head in. I'd just like to thank Phil for getting the job done. Our mission of planting Phil & Fish on your team for the betterment of our squad has worked well so far!!
Hail Hydra Knicks Fans!!!

[h1]  [/h1]
[h1]‘Most skilled’: The praise that will keep D’Angelo Russell out of Knicks’ grasp[/h1]
By Fred Kerber

June 6, 2015 | 5:26pm

Modal Trigger
nba_draft_lottery_basketball.jpg

New York Knicks general manger Steve Mills, left, talks with draft prospect Ohio State's D'Angelo Russell before the NBA draft lottery.Photo: AP

[h3]MORE ON:[/h3][h6]NBA DRAFT[/h6]
[h5]Mudiay after Lakers workout: ‘I can be a great player’[/h5][h5]Knicks to work out Mudiay; will he be there at No. 4?[/h5][h5]NBA Mock Draft 2.0: A shakeup at the top[/h5][h5]St. John's guard is an NBA Draft long shot you can believe in[/h5]

As a ninth-grader who already was playing varsity at formidable Central High School in Louisville, Ky., Antonio Russell routinely bounced little brother D’Angelo around in competitive, but often lopsided, one-on-one games. If D’Angelo got a step on him, Antonio turned physical and knocked him to the ground, when little brother would call “foul” and be ignored. That’s just the way it was.

Until this one day …

“I nudged him a little and he didn’t go down. It was like a 9-foot rim and he just went up and dunked on me,” said Antonio, now a senior at Northern Kentucky University. “I was in ninth grade playing with seniors, playing varsity, so I was like, ‘This can’t be real. My seventh-grade little brother did not just dunk on me.’ ”

But he did.

Antonio perhaps became the first observer whose jaw dropped, eyes blinked and head shook over on-court displays by D’Angelo Russell, a 6-foot-5, 180-pound, left-handed talent — who Knicks fans hope lasts to the No. 4 pick on NBA draft night.

Despite the presence of big-men studs Karl-Anthony Towns of Kentucky and Jahlil Okafor of Duke, some see Russell, leaving Ohio State after one season, as the premier chip in the draft. Start with Russell himself.

“I’m the best player in the draft,” Russell said at the Chicago draft combine last month.

He has support.

“He’s got a prototype NBA game,” said Louisville coach Rick Pitino — who recruited Russell but lost him to Ohio State, where the teenager saw an immediate chance to start. “If you asked me, ‘Who’s the most skilled player in the NBA draft?,’ it would be him by far.”

Modal Trigger
4740160161.jpg

D’Angelo RussellPhoto: Getty Images

Pitino likened Russell to Jalen Rose, a point/shooting guard hybrid. Russell does the best of both positions. His passing and shooting displays at Ohio State made him a YouTube sensation.

“Nobody passes like him. He’s an erratic scorer but he can score. He’s got great size, quickness, good hands. He’s an adequate defender. He goes left predominantly, like a Jalen Rose,” Pitino said. “He’s a better shooter than Rose was when Rose came into the league. He’s got unbelievable vision. He’ll see everything going on.”

All of which the Knicks would welcome. If, and it’s a major if, he lasts until four.

Russell began his journey to draft night in Louisville’s tough West End, a drug- and gang-riddled area that his family fled when he was a sixth-grader. He played football and baseball before concentrating on basketball.

“There were probably like 20 different gangs within gangs in that area,” Russell said in a Big Ten Network podcast. “[Sports] was just motivation to get away from those guys that weren’t on the right path, knowing there were two routes down that road. It was either in jail or the graveyard.”

With an ever-expanding game and a set of ethics and work habits from his father, also Antonio, D’Angelo’s reputation grew.

Eventually, it led him to Central High in Louisville, the school that produced Muhammad Ali. Before Russell set foot on a varsity floor, coach Doug Bibby, the cousin of Mike and the nephew of Henry, knew who he was. And he knew talent. He coached Rajon Rondo for three years at rival Eastern.

“With D’Angelo, you saw his knack to play the game the right way, to see the floor, to read two and three plays ahead,” Bibby said. “His passing might not lead to a score, but it might lead to a pass that led to a pass that led to a score.”

Modal Trigger
474015976.jpg

Heather Cox of ESPN speaks to draft prospect Russell prior to the 2015 NBA Draft Lottery.Photo: Getty Images

Bibby enjoyed Russell for one season before the youngster left for prestigious Montverde Academy in Florida, where he won two national championships under coach Kevin Boyle, who had moved south after forging a national powerhouse at St. Patrick’s in Elizabeth, NJ.

“The level of competition that he was going to play every day in practice would be special,” Bibby said. “At the end of the day, it’s all about the success of the kid, being on a stage like that.

“I always told him, ‘Once you get to the next level, everybody has a scrapbook. Everybody can do what you can do. What is going to separate you from the best is doing the little things that make the big things happen.’ ”

At Montverde as a senior, Russell won four of five national tournaments. He continued impressing with athletic skills as his court IQ and confidence flourished.

“Very confident. He has great belief in himself that he can score and he can play against anybody,” Boyle said. “He has backed it up. He has had great success winning.”

That alone should make the Knicks drool. “Winning” was something the Knicks did all of 17 times last season — hey, you don’t get to pick fourth in the lottery by accident.

“He would be a great fit in New York,” said Boyle, who coached top-three picks Kyrie Irving, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Joel Embiid. “He has a chance to be Rookie of the Year because he’s going to score more at the NBA level.”

Everyone, from high school coaches to family members to teammates, raves about Russell’s knack for the big stage. Doing it in Louisville or Florida or Columbus, Ohio, even in NCAA Tournament games, is one thing. New York is another. Patrick Ewing, the Knicks’ greatest lottery catch ever, preaches sage advice.

“If you don’t have a tough skin, get one,” Ewing said of New York.

Modal Trigger
ncaa_men_s_basketball_2015-_big_ten_tournament_minnesota_vs_ohi1.jpg

Russell directs his team in the second half during the 2015 Big Ten Men’s Basketball Tournament game between the Minnesota Golden Gophers and the Ohio State Buckeyes.Photo: AP

Russell, some say, already has a rawhide covering. But remember, he’s a teenager and won’t turn 20 until February.

“He survived my dad,” brother Antonio said with a laugh. “My dad growing up really instilled a lot of respect, morals and values into us and made us see a bigger picture — to want to be more than just staying in the west end of Louisville, which is very gang-related and drug-infested. My dad moved us out of the West End and showed us there is so much more to life.”

Mother Keisha Rowe obviously had an impact — the parents live apart on good terms — but “as far as basketball, she doesn’t know how any of that stuff goes,” said Antonio, who stressed his dad’s insistence on no shortcuts to himself, D’Angelo, brothers Lashaun and Tayshaun and sister Cloee.

“Everything we had, we had to work for it,” the younger Antonio said. “Look at D’Angelo. He’s not the most athletic player, but he’s one of the most skilled and that’s all because of hard work and dedication my dad instilled in us. And we pushed each other.”

All that pushing from family, friends and coaches has honed a top-end lottery pick.

“He belongs, no question,” one NBA assistant said. “Will he struggle some? I’m sure he will. There are … things he’ll have to adjust to, [like] how fast the game is. He’s more of a deliberate player. And defensively guarding some of those good guards in the league.

“I know the word is like poison, but his ‘upside’ is very up. He sees the floor. It’s almost like he sees the play before it happens.”

But as ready and fine-tuned as Russell may seem, he remains a basketball baby.

“He’s probably the most skilled basketball player in the draft: shooting, passing, catching, all the fundamentals,” Pitino said. “He’s about as skilled as it comes. I’ll tell you what he needs to learn: He has to learn what it means to be a professional. Every rookie does.”

“He will be a very good player,” an NBA general manager said. “But I don’t think a rookie coming in at age 19 is going to be ready right away, not at our level.”

But Russell has handled tasks seemingly beyond his years before.

Quentin Snider tried to lure Russell to Louisville with him but failed. Snider knows what Russell brings.

“I’ve known D’Angelo since the third grade,” Snider said. “He’s very confident. He’s got a great personality. He’s real goofy but when the game’s on the line, he’s ready to play.”

But Snider points to one aspect about Russell, as do many.

“When it’s a big game, he definitely shows up,” Snider said.

“He does like the big stage,” Boyle said. “A lot of kids can’t handle that but he’s got the mentality of, if he misses five shots in a row, there’s something wrong with the ball. He doesn’t think it’s him and that’s a great quality about him.”

“He’s not going to be afraid. The bigger the stage, the more he’ll excel,” Pitino said, recalling a conversation he had with Snider, who told him if Russell has a weakness, it’s “‘He loves the big game. If you’re playing against Coppin State, he may not bring it like he would bring it against Kentucky.’ ”

But Russell has brought it throughout his life. There was a packed-house state high school regional game his freshman year for Central against notoriously powerful Ballard, which produced, among others, Snider and Allan Houston.

“Ballard was ranked No. 1 in the state and we couldn’t execute our offense. They were a step ahead of us the whole game,” Bibby said. “[In] the fourth quarter D’Angelo was like, ‘Coach, just give me the rock.’ And I pretty much let him do his thing one-on-one because the other guys were tentative.

“We didn’t win but he scored 14 points in the fourth quarter,” Bibby said. “As a freshman, to stand up on that stage in a packed house and in the fourth quarter, instead of putting his tail between his legs like the other guys did, he basically put on a clinic.”

Most draft analysts slot Russell No. 3 to point guard-starved Philadelphia. The Knicks may hope Russell drops to four after his one year at Ohio State, where “he was the best I’ve had as a freshman,” coach Thad Matta said on ex-NBA player Steven Bardo’s podcast. “He was as diligent as I’ve ever seen in terms of getting better every single day.”

Which Russell has done ever since dunking on his ninth-grade brother.
God, please let this kid slip to 4...
“He’s not going to be afraid. The bigger the stage, the more he’ll excel,” Pitino said, recalling a conversation he had with Snider, who told him if Russell has a weakness, it’s “‘He loves the big game. If you’re playing against Coppin State, he may not bring it like he would bring it against Kentucky.’ ”
“If you don’t have a tough skin, get one,” Ewing said of New York.
So very very relivent 
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

Last edited:
If not for Starks, Knicks don't even get to that game 7. Dude had the most heart ever. I wish I wasn't so young at the time so I could appreciate it more

**** anyone who says he isnt a "leader" just because he doesnt have the passing abilities of Lebron and doesnt rally his teammates in the locker room before every game. Melo is most definitely a leader. Like how everyone called out Melo for being "selfish" for staying with the Knicks. Leaving the Knicks behind is just not who Melo is. He has never been this way. It isnt in his blood to quit on the ground floor. Especially after forcing his hand to NY in the first place. Melo is not like Lebron in this respect, and that is a good thing. Melo wants to be the one in charge of changing the culture of the Knicks. Whether this happens or not can be argued all day, and we wont find out for years, but placing the blame on Melo is SO misguided. His loyalty is his greatest strength and his most significant weakness. Hopefully people will realize that before it gets too late.

I agree with this comment to an extent. Money played a major role in his (Melo) decision to stay in NY, but I also think Melo wants to be the one who builds a winning team. It would've been easy for him to go to the Bulls or the Rockets last Summer and possibly contend for a title, but he wanted to build a winning team here in NY.

Melo obviously has a lot of trust in Phil Jackson, considering he's 30 (1) and approaching the beginning of the end of his career. This is probably his last chance to really contend for a title with him being the main guy on the Knicks. IDK what's going to happen this summer in free agency and 2016, but the moves we make (and don't make) will have a HUGE impact on our success moving forward for the next couple of years. I've always been an optimistic guy, but I just don't think it will ever be in the cards for Melo to win here. He's not LeBron where you can put him in any team and he'll take you to the Finals. He needs to have a PG who can move the ball and players around him that will properly space the floor and compensate for him on the defensive end.

Unless Mudiay or Russel or whoever we draft turns out to be a stud and we somehow manage to sign a big that can play defense, rebound and score--I don't think the Knicks are looking at another successful 2010 like season.

Let's all hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Last edited:
Unless Mudiay or Russel or whoever we draft turns out to be a stud and we somehow manage to sign a big that can play defense, rebound and score--I don't think the Knicks are looking at another successful 2010 like season.

Come on man have some damn faith!!!!

... Knicks only won 29 games in 2010 
laugh.gif
wink.gif

EDIT: looking back on that 2010 season (I am aware you probably meant 2013, but I looked back to see what the Knicks' record was anyway 
laugh.gif
), David Lee ******* FEASTED that year... 20.2 PPG, 11.7 RPG, 3.6 APG, on 55% shooting from this field and 81% from the line.

Even in fluke *** D'Antoni ball those are still some extremely impressive #s. Not to mention he was a homegrown talent who kind of came out of nowhere due to his extremely high work ethic/professionalism. I remember him beasting that year and setting the Knicks double double record and than he was scammed out of an ASG spot and then when an injury hit to Bosh I believe it was (someone at Lee's position), Mo ******* Williams got the fill in spot over him due to Lebron's constant ******* *****ing. I remember I was so pissed but thankfully Lee got the recognition he deserved after a second injury, to I believe Ray Allen if my memory is as on point as I like to think it is about this type of ****. 
laugh.gif

Honestly, looking back on it, which is impossible to do because it would have been SO EXTREMELY unpopular at the time, but **** it, I'm gonna do it anyway, because that is what these blogs are kind of for. But the Knicks should have avoided Amare and just paid the homegrown/less injury prone Lee to a lesser deal that summer. I mean even in D'Antoni's offense, Lee did ALL of that with Chris ******* Duhon at PG. Remember how ******* awful he was? Lee was also, I believe, younger than Amare. They both played really ****** defense but Lee was the much more gifted passer and rebounder, less athletic and less skilled as a penetrator but if we still got Melo we wouldnt have needed that ****, and like I said Lee gets an additional nod as a homegrown Knick draft pick.

Again, this was never going to happen, but Knicks should have resigned Lee and turned away Amare. We STILL should have went after Felton that summer, looking to potentially nab a franchise PG in the coming years through the draft, or hoped for Chris Paul. Then we should have signed Felton (underratedly, the upgrade Felton was over Duhon was probably more important than what Amare gave us over Lee in terms of our success pre Melo trade 2010-2011. Thinking back, a large reason of the Melo-trade drop off was probably due to getting rid of Felton, who was playing at an all-star level that season).

Then the Knicks should have moved forward into the cap space filled summer of 2011 with Felton, Lee, Danilo, Chandler, Mozgov, etc. (Ideally with this roster we dont trade that draft pick and/or Jordan Hill in the TMac deal but that happened in 2010 so its hard to take that horrible trade away also). I honestly think that team would not have been far off in terms of how well they played together than the Knicks were that season pre-Melo. Lee would have given 90% of what Amare did that season, with greater longevity, 75% of the cost, and also just imagine the love he would get as a "true Knick."

Then you refuse to breakup your core to trade for Melo. Hopefully that still lands the Knicks Melo in the 2011 summer and we develop Mozgov instead of signing Tyson. Then Melo signs because of his desire to be a Knick, and the Knicks ability to sign CP3. CP3 then lets the world know his desire to play for the Knicks. The Knicks either sign him as a free agent in 2012 using our Tyson $/whatever is left over from keeping Lee over Amare, or we fleece the Hornets in a trade with their backs against the wall. Then we move towards a championship era run that could compete with the Heat with a core of:

PG: CP3/Felton (if not used to trade for CP3)

SG: Wilson Chandler

SF: Melo

PF: Lee

C: Mozgov

6: Danilo

Could have always floated around someone like Chandler/Danilo as trade bait as well. 

pimp.gif
grin.gif

Wow. Just reread all that... Still coming up with irrational scenarios even in the past. The life of a bored Knicks fan in June  
laugh.gif
tired.gif

Last edited:

Come on man have some damn faith!!!!

... Knicks only won 29 games in 2010 :lol: :wink:  

Sorry for the typo. Meant to say 2012 season.

that JR quote about social media is so damn stupid.

no NBA player should be worried about what's said about you on twitter....mental ****** :smh:

Dam hearing some of u say u wish u were able to see Starks play or some of his games has me real wide eyed right now ......

That dunk , I tried it on every lowered rim I came across. Twisted my ankle so bad one year, just thinking about it makes it tender.

Dude was the best .... :smokin

howcome no one mentions that the philly coach coached mudiay in international play?

after these insane workouts i think muddy falls to philly and we land Ruseel

howcome no one mentions that the philly coach coached mudiay in international play?

after these insane workouts i think muddy falls to philly and we land Ruseel
How the **** could Brett Brown have coached Mudiay in international play when Mudiay spent one year playing internationally and Brown was with the 76ers? 
laugh.gif

Unless you are talking about an assistant or they have some sort of connection I am unaware of, please elaborate on that.

Maybe you mean that Mudiay was supposed to play for Larry Brown who used to coach the Sixers? If so, this is brought up often, and I know that LB has spoken with Sixers brass about Mudiay, but it far from guarantees the Sixers will take Mudiay.

EDIT: vvvv (downward arrows?) repped 
nthat.gif

Appreciate the support fam. Even little **** like that, At the very least shows that all my ranting and ******** doesnt go unrecognized 
roll.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom