2015 NY Knicks offseason thread, Los Almighty appreciation thread

you lose 3 million in cap space to take on a guy with the same amount of years. he doesn't make you a great team and now you're potentially drafting a lower ceiling guy.

you lose 3 million in cap space to take on a guy with the same amount of years. he doesn't make you a great team and now you're potentially drafting a lower ceiling guy.
At least that gives us an all-star caliber PG to fall back on AND a high upside player 3 draft picks lower. Might even be the guy Phil has wanted the most all along. Fills 2 glaring weaknesses extremely adequately instead of just one.

EDIT:

Only concern with Lawson is his size. Derek Fisher wasnt the tallest fellow either. Wasnt as good as Lawson is either. Triangle worked out pretty OK for him...

Fisher was also drafted by the Lakers in 96, pre-Phil, and a VERY likely trade chip when Phil took over in LA because of his size BTW. Phil wanted a Ron Harper type PG like he had used in Chicago, converted from being a scoring 2 (I think he was looking to do the same with Shump).

Last edited:
rather have the cap space. 3 million may seem marginal but it's definitely an asset. lawson isn't the kind of player we desperately need. he's an upgrade sure, but it isn't going to make us a great team. rather keep the pick, take best player available and piece together a better team through free agency than being locked into an above average player making 12 million a year.

Last edited:
theoretically... if our money is spent the right way, does anyone have an idea of what players we could acquire this off season?

for example: could we afford Aldridge, Carroll and Rondo?

only reason I ask, is if we could find something like the NBA trade machine, but with free agent money, we could potentially create free agent purchases that would fit the teams needs based on who is drafted at 4...

:nerd:

At least that gives us an all-star caliber PG to fall back on AND a high upside player 3 draft picks lower. Might even be the guy Phil has wanted the most all along. Fills 2 glaring weaknesses extremely adequately instead of just one.

EDIT:

Only concern with Lawson is his size. Derek Fisher wasnt the tallest fellow either. Wasnt as good as Lawson is either. Triangle worked out pretty OK for him...

Fisher was also drafted by the Lakers in 96, pre-Phil, and a VERY likely trade chip when Phil took over in LA because of his size BTW. Phil wanted a Ron Harper type PG like he had used in Chicago, converted from being a scoring 2 (I think he was looking to do the same with Shump).

I am a solid member of team bring back Shump!!!!

All I'm saying is the Lakers won with Fisher at the point, we need a big man!!
laugh.gif

lakers would've won with anyone at point that didn't turn the ball over. thats what happens when you have two of the greatest players ever.

naw im not actually reporting people :lol:

but for 3mil, we get a starting PG over caldo AND hes much younger. so we can still draft a top talent, sign monroe, and still have 10 mil in cap space PLUS our trade exceptions.

lawson/gallo
FA
melo/cle
monroe/smith
WCS

10mil+ in cap to sign a guard
trade exceptions
an additional draft pick in the future from denver

all for just spending 3mil.

now im all for keeping the 4th pick IF we get either russell or muddy. but if its okafor, trade it and improve our PG and C position in one trade, without giving up too much cap.

Last edited:
dont forget lawson's off the court troubles. although i dont think much of them, he can be jr all over again where he isn't focused n just wastes his talent away partying all night.

i agree draft the best available at our pick and hope for the best in free agency... we need the cap for this summer or next... no need to take on additional salary unless its superstar potential like boogie or westbrook

Last edited:
dont forget lawson's off the court troubles. although i dont think much of them, he can be jr all over again where he isn't focused n just wastes his talent away partying all night.
Dont get me wrong, I dont love Lawson on this team either. Id rather draft a PG. But I definitely think Lawson is better than ANY PG on the free agent market right now, he has a proven track record as a starting PG, shares the rock, and is still very young. If we can replace Calderon with him (filling a MAJOR hole), nab a future first round pick (something we could DESPERATELY use either as a trade chip or for ourselves), and only move back 3 spots in the draft to potentially fill another major hole, and also still maybe still get the player Phil had his eye on all along? **** that $3 million and Lawson's character issues. Sign me the **** up.

Like I said, I dont even think Denver does that deal. It is CLEARLY in our favor from a trade value perspective IMO. And Lawson CAN work here IMO. Doesnt make him an IDEAL fit, but IMO it CAN work. Similar to Mudiay IMO.

All goes back to what I was saying before about incorporating PRINCIPLES of the triangle while also adjusting to today's game and  pushing the offensive pace and getting back on the run (especially with Melo at the 4). We will have to do the SAME EXACT ******* thing with Mudiay. Why not get a proven veteran all-star caliber PG like Lawson instead while only falling back 3 spots in the draft AND getting a future pick back in the deal??

No brainer to me. I would be absolutely thrilled if that deal gets done (If  Russell isnt available 
laugh.gif
)

Knicks should definitely be open to exploring all possibilities IMO. That is all I am saying. Not saying trade the pick or dont necessarily, just be ******* open to making the RIGHT decision. Whatever the **** that might be.

It would be just as irresponsible to completely refuse to trade the pick if a team is willing to gamble on a prospect like Mudiay and overspend accordingly, as it would be to completely commit to trading the pick no matter what just because the ping pong balls didnt fall in our favor.

Last edited:
If you're ultimately planning on winning it all by building around Melo, idk why you would want to bring in Greg Monroe. 

Nothing against him. It's just not a good fit in today's game.

^ that defensive front court though. Also not enough rock to go around offensively to that trio IMO 
sick.gif

Turn those 2 free agents into Draymond and Gasol?? Ring city 
pimp.gif

Last edited:
Rather just have a stopgap at the 1 than commit to Lawson. And I'm actually a fan of Ty but this isn't the right fit for either party.

Rather just have a stopgap at the 1 than commit to Lawson. And I'm actually a fan of Ty but this isn't the right fit for either party.
With no draft pick next season and no better immediate PG targets available? I respectfully disagree.

Use Ty like we were planing to use Mudiay (assuming he is the prospect available at #4), fill another need at #7 (or even draft Cameron ******* Payne if we are really that high on him), and then if we still like we can use that ******* 2016 draft pick (that we dont have) to address PG of the future. We could either choose to resign Lawson or go with whoever we have when Lawson's deal expires.

That is why I like the trade so much, we FLEECE them in terms of trade value IMO. Much more so than any of those other deals, IMO. The situation gives us a much BETTER stop gap PG in Lawson (who could potentially become this team's franchise PG), fills another need at #7, and gives us a future ******* first rounder we could maybe use on a PG or trade for one who becomes available (assuming it is an unprotected 2016 draft pick). It gives us assets we badly need, regardless of fit, which I dont even think is that bad BTW.

Lawson makes us a MUCH better team in the now and in the long term than Jose would, forgetting the $3 million cap loss for a second, because it would likely be used to spend on a worse PG than Lawson anyway. And likrly at least better in the now than Mudiay would. Knowing that Calderon isnt the long term answer and not being fully convinced that Mudiay is the long term solution, add in the fact that we have no first round draft pick coming up, and it would be a great deal for us to make IMO. How long do you ******* plan on using Calderon as a stop gap? I dont even want one more season of that ****, let alone 2 or 3. Not in today's NBA.

It is like a self fulfilling prophecy in that regard. We get Lawson AND assets that we could use to upgrade at PG, if we choose to do so. Options are the key here. Like I said, I still dont even think Denver would do that deal. But speaking strictly as a Knicks fan? Its a no brainer to me, given the terms of the deal from the article.

Last edited:
the deal wouldnt make us even with denver (ref. melo trade), but at least we're getting closer haha.

Back
Top Bottom