2015 NY Knicks offseason thread, Los Almighty appreciation thread

Knicks Miss Out on Greg Monroe, but Reach an Agreement With Arron Afflalo
New York’s top free-agent priority agreed to a max deal with Milwaukee; Afflalo strikes two-year, $16 million deal
By
Chris Herring

July 2, 2015 12:15 p.m. ET

Hours after the Knicks reached a verbal agreement with veteran swingman Arron Afflalo, big man Greg Monroe—who appeared to be New York’s top free-agent priority—agreed to a maximum contract Thursday with the Milwaukee Bucks, according to a report.

Monroe’s decision to go to Milwaukee, particularly after months of rumors that he was essentially a lock to join the Knicks, strongly suggests that team president Phil Jackson, in a relatively patient, cap-oriented fashion, offered the Pistons forward less than a max deal when the two sides met on Wednesday.

Monroe, just 25 years old, would have immediately become the Knicks’ second-best player. He’s a talented scorer out of the post and is quickly emerging as one the league’s best rebounders.

Yet signing him would have created several new questions for New York on the defensive end. He’s not regarded as a rim protector, and would probably need a bona fide center to play behind him. But doing that would clog the lane offensively.

Depending on who the Knicks sign, without Monroe in the mix, it leaves open the possibility that the club can allocate more minutes to Carmelo Anthony playing power forward, which helps him considerably on defense.

After having swung and missed on Monroe, the Knicks—who have no centers under contract—figure to focus more seriously on Robin Lopez, whom they reportedly met with last night. The club is set to speak with big men DeAndre Jordan and LaMarcus Aldridge, the two most poachable names on the free market, later Thursday, though the Knicks are seen as a long shot in those discussions.

Monroe’s decision to sign with Milwaukee happened just hours after the Knicks struck a reasonable two-year, $16 million agreement with Afflalo. The second year of the deal, which ESPN first reported, is a player option.

Even after a down year in which the 29-year-old Afflalo shot just 42% from the floor, his worst mark since his rookie season in 2007, the Knicks appear to have gotten decent value with this pickup. That becomes even more true when considering the types of deals players are garnering in anticipation of the salary cap jumping to nearly $90 million next summer. (Afflalo reportedly entered free agency looking for a deal worth nearly $12 million a season.)

Afflalo, the first player Jackson has signed using cap space, wasn’t the top swingman in this class. A person familiar with the matter said earlier in the week said the Knicks wanted to have serious discussions with Atlanta’s DeMarre Carroll—a late bloomer who’s logged 10,000 fewer minutes over his career—before he took a four-year, $60-million offer from Toronto.

The Spurs locked up guard Danny Green before New York or anyone else had a chance to make an overture. And it was beginning to seem as if Portland’s Wes Matthews was out of the Knicks’ price range; particularly following a devastating Achilles rupture that very few players ever bounce back from.

For all the concerns about Afflalo, though, namely whether last year was an indicator that he’s hitting the downside of his career, he does have some familiarity with the role he’s going to be asked to play in New York. Aside from being a second or third fiddle on offense, like he often was with the Blazers off the bench last year, he also played alongside Knicks star Carmelo Anthony when he was in Denver.

He’s also a good enough defender (though far from elite at this point) to guard the opposing club’s best wing scorer if need be. Afflalo also regularly shoots about 45% from midrange, potentially making him a good fit in the triangle offense, which provides several looks per night from the pinch-post area of the floor. He’s averaged a respectable 15 points per game over the past five seasons.

So yes, the Knicks still need a reputable big man to plug the lane defensively. But for the time being, they’ve addressed one key need, and done it without spending too much.

Write to Chris Herring at [email protected]

Robin Lopez will most likely come play for the Knicks. His brother plays for Brooklyn. That's something to consider.

I'd like to bring in Tobias Harris as well. I like how we're shifting focus on defense rather than offense. I suppose Phil assumes the triangle will open up easy scoring opportunities for the players.

Essential is right about not being able to sign both. We'd need to dump Caldo somehow to sign both Harris and Lopez.

Last edited:
Ben Bolch ‏@latbbolch · 3m3 minutes ago
Schedule for DeAndre Jordan today: meeting with New York Knicks at 10 a.m., Clippers at 5 p.m. (H/T @BA_Turner)

Note: 10 a.m. PST

Robin Lopez will most likely come play for the Knicks. His brother plays for Brooklyn. That's something to consider as well.

I'd like to bring in Tobias Harris as well. I like how we're shifting focus on defense rather than offense. I suppose Phil assumes the triangle will open up easy scoring opportunities for the players.

Essential is right about not being able to sign both. We'd need to dump Caldo somehow to sign both Harris and Lopez.

Wonder if the Mavericks are interested in bringing Calderon back.

[thread="605554"]Want NO parts of robin lopez but looks like its happening. dude is super soft and is allergic to rebounds.[/thread]

He is a poor rebounder for his size and position. Although, playing next to guys like LMA, Anthony Davis and Gortat will give you less opportunities to get boards.

@NYPost_Berman: David Falk states for record #Knicks offered max to Monroe for any amount of years he wanted. Was all about Bucks readier to make playoffs

Sorry guys.

Agent + Berman = Extremely limited credibility

Woj said Knicks didnt offer and he is right 99% of the time

At this point I dont even ******* care though. I'm glad he is in Milwaukee 
laugh.gif

How do you guys feel about David Lee?

I know he hasn't played much the last year due to injuries and Draymond Green eating up his minutes, but his basketball IQ is high and he's a proven team player. Seems like his game fits in nicely with the Triangle--High IQ, great passing big man, can spread the floor shoot the mid-range or post.

Honestly, I like the way Phil is moving. If we can't get our guys thus year don't blow your load...just pick up a solid role player or two and some short deals.

Sucja that we don't have next years pick, but it is what it is. Rather lose again next year than end up trapped in mediocrity because we were so eager to sign players to ensure that we won't have a lottery pick next year.

Last edited:

I know he hasn't played much the last year due to injuries and Draymond Green eating up his minutes, but his basketball IQ is high and he's a proven team player. Seems like his game fits in nicely with the Triangle--High IQ, great passing big man, can spread the floor shoot the mid-range or post.
Pretty sure JRS and I invented that ******* rumor 
laugh.gif

Sign me right the **** up (unless it gets in the way of signing a player we really want/need this summer) 
pimp.gif

... (and then sign Nasty Nate 
pimp.gif
)

Last edited:

Pretty sure JRS and I invented that ******* rumor :lol:

Sign me right the **** up (unless it gets in the way of signing a player we really want/need this summer) :pimp:  

... (and then sign Nasty Nate :pimp: )

I think we'd have to send them Caldo to make the money fit. That leaves us in a whole with the PG position though.

Sign Lopez/Beverly & trade for Lee?

We could sniff the playoffs with that supposed roster.

I think we'd have to send them Caldo to make the money fit. That leaves us in a whole with the PG position though.
You really think the Dubs would trade Lee's expiring for Caldo's 2 year contract just to save an extra $8 mil this year though?

Im not sure of their cap situation and luxury tax and all that, but personally I dont see them dumbing Lee's contract to take back Caldo's bad contract.

Last edited:
if we can somehow pull of Pat Bev & Lopez i'll be very happy with this summer.

not a contender by any means but we'd be a competitive team again. probably around the 6 seed.

I still want to acquire a pure clutch shooter off the bench. Robert Horry/Danny Green/Klay Thompson type

Last edited:
if we can somehow pull of Pat Bev & Lopez i'll be very happy with this summer.

not a contender by any means but we'd be a competitive team again. probably around the 6 seed.

We'd be pretty solid on the defensive end though :lol:

Lopez
Porzingas
Melo
Afflalo
Beverly

If we miss out on Aldridge & DJ, then we should trade Caldo for David Lee and the 30th pick, sign R. Lopez and offer Beverly a contract and that'll be our major moves for now. 

Lee is a $15M expiring contract, we're not winning a chip next season so we can keep that as our last option while gaining an asset.

That would be similar to us giving Lee a one year deal, wouldl be a huge asset during the trade deadline.

Lopez

D. Lee - Porzingis

Melo

Afflalo

Grant - Beverly

That's good enough for a 5th seed, but it's progress. I can trust Fisher and Phils judgement on who to pass up on, Fisher is a champ and was an active player only about 3 years ago.

Last edited:
That's good enough for a 5th seed, but it's progress. I can trust Fisher and Phils judgement on who to pass up on, Fisher is a champ and was an active player only about 3 years ago.

You're over reaching man. We'd barley compete for an 8th seed.

I'd rather have Harris than Beverly to be honest.

Hahahahaha, I'll take Al Harrington over Fields and Lin. ****, bring him in for depth and cheap. He's hilarious.

Don't want Tobias, he's good but gonna cost too much. Don't want Lee, he's getting old and sucks. Not getting fooled because of two games in the playoffs. I say go get Lopez and Bev and call it a day. Bring in some depth for cheap.

I want to see another technical from Al Harrington for hanging on the rim too long :lol: He did it twice in a week.

Hahahahaha, I'll take Al Harrington over Fields and Lin. ****, bring him in for depth and cheap. He's hilarious.

Don't want Tobias, he's good but gonna cost too much. Don't want Lee, he's getting old and sucks. Not getting fooled because of two games in the playoffs. I say go get Lopez and Bev and call it a day. Bring in some depth for cheap.

ill take harris for a similar deal to afflalo. id also make the trade with GSW if we're not gonna sign anyone to fill the spot. that way we get rid of caldo and we gain a pick.

Back
Top Bottom