2015 NY Knicks offseason thread, Los Almighty appreciation thread

Porzingis is a Dirk Nowitzki - Kevin Durant Hybrid, Says NBA Hall of Famer
By Jason McIntyre 56 minutes ago

Kristaps Porzingis made his much-anticipated summer league debut with the Knicks Saturday, looking fluid and as if he grew an inch or two. The announcers kept saying he was 7-foot-3, and if you asked Kyle Anderson of the Spurs – he gets his shot blocked by Porzingis early in the above video – he’d probably agree.

For all the hype about Porzingis having a feathery jumper, we didn’t get to see much of it in his debut. Also, he absolutely couldn’t get post position inside because he’s so weak. He struggles to get rebounds, but it’s clear he’s taking baby steps in this department, because he displays fundamental boxing out technique.

[RELATED: NBA Draft DEFCON 1: Porzingis is “very much Kevin Durant-like”]

After the game, James Worthy – for my money one of the most underrated small forwards in NBA history – became the 2nd human being to say he saw some Kevin Durant in Porzingis. From the NY Post:

“He’s a freak of nature. He’s a combination of Dirk Nowitzki and Kevin Durant. It’s a good pick for the Knicks.”

I nearly vomited. Kevin Durant was a dominant high school basketball player; at 19, while a freshman at Texas, he scored in double figures in all of his games and was a 3-point machine. He was taking people off the dribble and attacking the basket. He got the line whenever he wanted. He gave Kansas 37 points in the Big 12 tournament; he had a 37-point, 23-rebound game against Texas Tech, and scored 37 two more times.

About the only thing Durant and Porzingis have in common is that they are Plastic Man-long and remarkably agile for their height/length. But that’s it. Porzingis isn’t taking anyone off the bounce now. As a 19-year old NBA rookie, Durant scored 20 points per game.

Porzingis won’t average 20 minutes a night as a rookie.

He’s a project, which is fine for the Knicks if they have a 5-year plan, but just remember that when he’s 24, Carmelo Anthony will be 36. It’s entirely OK to be excited about Porzingis. To to put pressure on the kid by comparing him to Kevin Durant? Mentioning him in the same sentence as Dirk Nowitzki and Pau Gasol? Get a clue.

Worthy acknowledges our Kristaps :nthat:

Last edited:
Monday Night Zinger
pimp.gif
Wayyyyyyyyyyy better than Friday Night Knicks.

I DVR'ed the game on Sat and I must say I actually think this kid moves very well for a 7'3 person. Want to see more of him tonight. Hopefully he gets more minutes the SL team seemed to miss his D when he was on the bench.

Muddy with 19 & 10.

Jumpshot working, clearly more athletic than any one else on the court.

Kid is NBA-READY!

SMDH.

There will be no turn on Derrick Williams cuz not a soul in this thread approved of the signing in the first place.

By all-star break, if not before, he'll find his rightful place at the end of the bench.

Back
Top Bottom