2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was against trading Miller for weeks, but the haul we got back in return for him is top notch :smokin .. first move of the rebuilding process that I'm actually impressed with!

Eric Bellamy ‏@ericbellamy11 · 3m3 minutes ago
MLB looking to change slide rule to protect middle infielders - Sports Illustrated http://bit.ly/1luh9RJ #MLB

So it has begun

Was Buster Posey playing 2nd at some point?

I kid, I kid...

Orioles rumors: Chris Davis believed to have a $150 million offer on table from team

1. I think this gets the deal done...and it's fair.

2. I don't believe there is a huge market for Davis.

3. The O's know this, and that is why you see the rumors of Pedro Alvarez floating around (he'd come at a fraction of the cost)....so they're (O's) are putting all their chips on the table and calling Davis' bluff.

*edit*

Jon Heyman Verified account
‏@JonHeymanCBS

Orioles met with Justin upton's agent Larry Reynolds. Good option, esp if Davis doesn't stay. Blog coming on @CBSSports

Last edited:
Theo asked for Gardner last month. Cashman wanted to wait it out for options for Gardner to pan out with winter meetings. Castro's market never recovered and got near his worth. Once Zobrist was likely Castro for Warren become the deal contingent on Zobrist in Cubs.

Champ, Starlin had zero value a couple months ago, now they add Zobrist, bring in a versatile 28 year old arm and may land Heyward, after signing Lackey, and saving Baez/Soler and still preserving a top shelf farm system?
Starlin's only 25 though. I don't think Warren was enough, lowered value for Castro or not. Infield surplus or not. I know/understand Theo did it for the numbers, Castro has what, $37-38M guaranteed left on his deal?

I'd also be cautious about giving J-Hey Kid anywhere near $200M. He's amazing on defense but the bat hasn't progressed as quickly as expected for a 26-year-old with six years experience. I do love that Theo didn't give up Baez for Shelby. Don't think either Dans or Baez are worth Miller. To Arizona's benefit, Shelby's under team control for at least the next 3 years.

Even though Gordo's five years older, I don't think Heyward's worth double him money wise.

I think most people are ultimately misjudging where Jason Heyward is offensively at this point in his career because HR numbers aren't there. You really have to look at the entirety of offense when judging these guys. Adam Jones is (somehow) considered a huge plus bat in CF but he does nothing better than Heyward other than pop more HR's in a division with 4 above average hitters parks. Everything between his stats and watching his AB's shows Heyward is at the very least an above average offensive player with room to grow.

These trade reactions :rofl:

http://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/906045

Here are the best reactions from the deal:

"Grand slam for the Braves." - Unidentified executive told Ken Rosenthal, FOX Sports.

"That's a helluva return for the Braves. I didn't like idea of trading Miller, but for that? Yeah, tough to argue after they got that package." - David O'Brien, Atlanta Journal Constitution

"Worst trade I've ever seen." - Unidentified executive told Rosenthal.

"I haven't seen Braves officials this excited about a trade in more than a decade. They view this as a pivot point in the rebuild." - Mark Bowman, MLB.com

"Can't wait to see who the Diamondbacks pick for the Braves in the 2016 draft." - Keith Law, ESPN

"Holy crap for Atlanta." - Unidentified executive told Rosenthal.

"I wonder if Zack Greinke is going to see this trade and ask to void his deal." - David Cameron, Fangraphs

As for my Tribe, I'm happy/glad if it's true SF turned down Carrasco for Panik/Belt. I love, love, love the quartet of Kluber, Carrasco, Bauer, Salazar. Please just get me Ozuna from Miami and maybe Crush Davis if he doesn't become priced out. Davis is a bit of a FA anomaly because his worth and value are so wide-ranging. Every club rates him drastically differently.

Trevor Bauer will always be one of the most overrated and stubborn baseball players who has ever walked the planet. He deserves to be in Miami. If Cleveland ever got that rumored Ozuna for Bauer deal on the table, they should be in Miami to pick up Ozuna before Miami hangs up the phone.

These trade reactions :rofl:

http://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/906045

Here are the best reactions from the deal:

"Grand slam for the Braves." - Unidentified executive told Ken Rosenthal, FOX Sports.

"That's a helluva return for the Braves. I didn't like idea of trading Miller, but for that? Yeah, tough to argue after they got that package." - David O'Brien, Atlanta Journal Constitution

"Worst trade I've ever seen." - Unidentified executive told Rosenthal.

"I haven't seen Braves officials this excited about a trade in more than a decade. They view this as a pivot point in the rebuild." - Mark Bowman, MLB.com

"Can't wait to see who the Diamondbacks pick for the Braves in the 2016 draft." - Keith Law, ESPN

"Holy crap for Atlanta." - Unidentified executive told Rosenthal.

"I wonder if Zack Greinke is going to see this trade and ask to void his deal." - David Cameron, Fangraphs
I just realized the Dbacks got fleeced during the year for Touki Toussaint just to unload Arroyo's contract. They really need to stay away from the Braves :lol:

Touki Toussaint, the 2 kids from Anaheim, Swanson, Blair, that's a nice crop of prospects the Braves have accumulated while really only giving up Heyward (who they would've lost in free agency) and Simmons (who's all glove and not much else).

Damn, I actually like Niese. He pitched fantastic for us in the postseasons. Neil Walker is a good pickup for us.

I like that trade for both sides. Pirates get another pitcher, tho they could use a top of the rotation arm paired with Cole. Mets get their Murphy replacement; similar stats and also switch-hits. Supposedly a better fielder too.

Last edited:
They're gonna have to platoon him. I think Pittsburgh was doing that in the second half. He can't hit lefties to save his life.

Walker can't hit lefties. Odd. Also, according to FanGraphs he was a worse defender than Murphy last year.

Pro, do you have the Law article from today on yesterday's work? :nerd:
There's a method behind the Cubs' Tuesday madness
15h
Emailcomment

The Cubs acquired Ben Zobrist and Adam Warren in separate moves Tuesday. USA TODAY Sports
Keith Law, ESPN Senior Writer
The Chicago Cubs upgraded their infield in a pair of moves Tuesday. They dumped Starlin Castro's once-promising contract on the Yankees and signed longtime super-sub Ben Zobrist to a four-year deal to play second base. It's a stunning fall from grace for Castro and a huge commitment to a 34-year-old hitter who is already showing signs of decline. It makes the Cubs better, but I'm not sure it's "better" enough to justify the money spent.
Castro has posted a sub-.300 OBP twice in the past three years and was (mercifully) moved off shortstop this summer. He then played second base for the first time in his career. His approach at the plate hasn't improved a whit since his rookie season and actually showed signs of getting even worse in 2015, which is unacceptable for a player 900 games into his big league career. This is just what Castro is, unfortunately, and he's not worth what he's being paid. The New York Yankees had a void at second base -- Robert Refsnyder, for all the hype he has received, just can't handle the position defensively -- so Castro will actually make them better, even if he's just a one-win player.

Starlin Castro showed promise in his early years, but he has been unable to eclipse 2.0 WAR since 2012. Jake Roth/USA TODAY Sports
I like Adam Warren for what he became in 2015: an old-fashioned swingman, with 17 starts and 25 relief appearances for 131 total innings of a 3.29 ERA and much better numbers in the bullpen than in the rotation. The Cubs don't need a starter, but every team needs an Adam Warren to handle spot starts and provide value in long relief. The Cubs could go with two such swingmen with Warren and Travis Wood or swap one of them to fill a different need. But with the rising trend of pulling starters after three times through the order, having two long guys on the roster is a strength -- not a liability.

As for the Zobrist signing, he makes the Cubs a couple wins better in 2016, but that contract could look very ugly in year four. Zobrist will play his age 35 to 38 seasons under this deal, and he has already slipped defensively, according to advanced metrics. He's still a very disciplined hitter whom pitchers can't beat in the zone, so he should maintain his OBP skills for much of the contract, but by ages 37 and 38, he'll likely have dropped off there as well. In fact, ESPN colleague Dan Szymborski's projections have Zobrist at OBPs in those years of .333 and .322, respectively -- he was at .359 in 2015 -- and overall, he rates as a below-average regular at 37 and bench player at best at 38. The Cubs have to hope Zobrist is so good the next two years that they're willing to live with what will probably be $14 million of dead money in 2019.

The move could work out in their favor, anyway. Few teams can look at a contract that way, but the Cubs are in the right position for it: contenders right now with a specific hole to fill. Zobrist makes them two to three wins better right now, and they get a little boost from Warren as well. It's conceivable Zobrist delivers enough production this year and next to justify the fourth year, because the Cubs are in the position that an extra win or two translates to revenue and maybe a lot of revenue because they could play in October. I don't love the deal, but I can at least see a path for the Cubs to end up on top.[\spoiler]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom