2016 Official NBA Off-Season Thread: Former Greatness

This reminds me of when the Hawks maxed out Joe Johnson.

NBA Purgotory.

Not good enough to compete, not good enough to tank.

The casuel fan doesn't know any better.

Grizz aren't better then the Thunder / Spurs / Warriors and pretty much gonna float in that 5-8 mix.

Hawks of the west.

Until a few pieces get injured on those 3 teams and everyone is wow'ed at the fact Memphis has a shot at winning a title.

If it was that clear, cut and dry, I don't think anyone would've thought Dallas was winning a title in 2011, OKC would've been won a title, Golden State probably would've missed out last year if everyone was healthy and Golden State would've won this season. Its not that clear, cut and dry. Leave it at that.

I can't wait t see how long it takes for all of these rebuilding teams to get as good as the Thunder / Spurs and Warriors since that's the best way to go right now. Maybe the teams that's been rebuilding for like 5+ years will eventually get there. I also can't wait to see the other West playoff teams be better than those top 3 teams. Why focus on Memphis so much when you have other teams in the playoff picture that's in a bad spot? Talk about the Clippers or something :lol:

Last edited:
Until a few pieces get injured on those 3 teams and everyone is wow'ed at the fact Memphis has a shot at winning a title.

If it was that clear, cut and dry, I don't think anyone would've thought Dallas was winning a title in 2011, OKC would've been won a title, Golden State probably would've missed out last year if everyone was healthy and Golden State would've won this season. Its not that clear, cut and dry. Leave it at that.

I can't wait t see how long it takes for all of these rebuilding teams to get as good as the Thunder / Spurs and Warriors since that's the best way to go right now. Maybe the teams that's been rebuilding for like 5+ years will eventually get there. I also can't wait to see the other West playoff teams be better than those top 3 teams. Why focus on Memphis so much when you have other teams in the playoff picture that's in a bad spot? Talk about the Clippers or something :lol:

View media item 2088783

I mean having to rely on getting lucky with all the teams better suffering multiple injuries to at least 2 of their best players and your's all stay healthy seems a dubious limb to hang from given you just maxed 2 guys coming off of major injuries. You'd need 5 teams to lose their top 2 players at least. OKC minus KD and Russ vs Memphis as constituted now is still a series :lol:

Last edited:
Real talk though, to act like Memphis isn't a serious threat is reminiscent of how evreryone thought OKC had no chance at a WCF after missing one year in the Playoffs.

I fully expect that next year, most people will no longer think GSW is a lock for the Chip or Final or WCF or Semi's.

Mess up one year and you good as DEAD
roll.gif

I mean having to rely on getting lucky with all the teams better suffering multiple injuries to at least 2 of their best players and your's all stay healthy seems a dubious limb to hang from given you just maxed 2 guys coming off of major injuries. You'd need 5 teams to lose their top 2 players at least. OKC minus KD and Russ vs Memphis as constituted now is still a series :lol:

We beat OKC in 5 games without Russ. :lol:

The whole if "so and so gets hurt" we got a chance thing is dumb as hell for justification.

I

The whole "you're not better than 3 other teams in your conference so you're dead in the water " is extremely stupid. Might as well only have a 4 team league.

People think if you're not a top 3-4 team in the NBA that you have to be the Sixers basically.

I've seen poorly ran franchises over the last 10 years and what Memphis is doing is far form the worst. I just think people are overplaying what happened last season and completely ignoring how good a healthy Conley / Marc tandem is.

All I stated was the obvious. You have no idea how a NBA season will turn out. Trying to act like you do will make you look the average NBA fan without any sort of analysis. It doesn't take a genius to claim the Spurs, OKC, CLE and GSW have the best chances at winning a title. That doesn't mean it will always happen that way.

Last edited:
If you like we can back track and see over the last 10 years to see how many teams outside of the top 4 seeds on each side of NBA has won a chip?

If your not a top 4 seed in the NBA you pretty much don't have a chance.

If you don't have at the very least the best player at a certain position you don't have a chance.

Memphis has neither.

Neither do 26 other teams if that's the case.

You still go to work and work. 

You want 26 teams to stay home because they have no chance?

Reckless talk G

I cant wait to revisit this conversation next spring, and the spring after that, and the spring after that, and the spring after that, and the spring after that when the Grizz get knocked out the playoffs (assuming they make it) and fans are still telling us that they're a few key injuries away from winning a chip. Not even fans, fan.

Mosgov could have been had for 10 million less and 2 years less at the very least. It's a terrible deal.

If you like we can back track and see over the last 10 years to see how many teams outside of the top 4 seeds on each side of NBA has won a chip?

If your not a top 4 seed in the NBA you pretty much don't have a chance.

If you don't have at the very least the best player at a certain position you don't have a chance.

Memphis has neither.

What makes you think the Grizz cannot be a top 4 seed in the West next year? :lol:

You just named 3 teams that were better than Memphis in the West. Obviously, you don't think whoever that 4th team is heads and shoulders better than Memphis.

And I'm assuming Marc went from being the best center in the game after his 2015 campaign to being nowhere close to it after one season as well? I don't even remember you from last off-season, but most people knew Memphis had to keep Marc on board. There was no discussion about it. Now, since we are basically trying to do the same thing with Conley, people are acting like we just made a big mistake.

Man, folks get hurt one year and they drop off the face of the NBA surface. Gotta love it

Last edited:
Al Jefferson just signed a 3/30 year contract and they are Damm near the same age (30 and 31) and Jefferson actually provides something.

I love Marc but he's also a 31 year old center coming off a season ending foot injury.

Dudes been playing as well for over a decade, no one knows how he's going to return.

Back
Top Bottom