2016 Official NBA Off-Season Thread: Former Greatness

roll.gif
 I just randomly re watched the Arenas and Nick Young snap chat thing again and oh man it is still funny as hell to me 

I must have missed this media hate on Westbrook. Because in the past couple of years I've seen the exact opposite of what could be considered "hate". They voted the 4th in mvp voting during a lottery year and ESPN has been driving the "is Westbrook better than KD" narrative sine last year too.

Hell, if there was one winner in this KD debacle it was Westbrook. I've seen several articles and listened to several podcasts and the "Russ being the hero to KD's new Villian" train has already left the station. The dynamic was already a Kobe/Shaq type (without the drama) and just like in that situation, fans of one have already rallied against the "other guy" in that dynamic.

And nvm the media, my statement still stands...everyone roots for the underdog until he's the top dog or puts himself in position to be the top dog. Then they can't wait to get him up outta there

Can't wait til everyone turns on Westbrook soon.

Had this discussion the other day...every player that occupied that top 5 list in the past decade have had polarizing shifts in public opinion. Kobe and Lebron. And now Steph and KD. It's inevitable that Westbrook has his day. He's everyone's hero and the anti KD right now, but just wait until the media decides to put him on the chopping block for whatever reason. It really is amazing the way everyone rallies behind an athlete for the sole purpose of removing him from the throne they placed him on one day.

Westbrook was getting slandered throughout Durant's "nice guy" phase. It wasn't really until KD's injury and was out for awhile that people started looking at Westbrook in a positive light

If mvp voting is how we're measuring hate then LeBron, KD, Steph will never be hated. They'll continue to finish in the top 4 for MVP.

The last several years have been all about Westbrook killing the Thunder offense late in games by forcing shots instead of looking for KD. I can't remember a time when westbrook wasn't blamed for OKC's shortcomings. Even when KD got hurt, a lot of people used that as an example to prove Russ can't lead a team to the playoffs. His best season was still hated on.

But yes, people love to build up a person but not as much as the love tearing them down. Westbrook just isn't a good example of that. LeBron, KD, Steph have all gone through it.

Last edited:
Russy always took the hate for OKCs struggles even when Player #35 was equally if not more so at fault.

****, russy been getting hated on. Hell, the media couldn't wait to drop the story that kd left because he wasnt feeling russ's style. I believe the general thought was, 'Rus is a cool guy off the court, and him and KD are bud, but nobody can control Russell on the court, not even Russell'

****, russy been getting hated on. Hell, the media couldn't wait to drop the story that kd left because he wasnt feeling russ's style. I believe the general thought was, 'Rus is a cool guy off the court, and him and KD are bud, but nobody can control Russell on the court, not even Russell'
kinda true though. i cant imagine many stars wanting to play with westbrook with the way he plays. 

its true though. Do yall watch him? Dont let his numbers fool you buddy is all over the court doing a lot of stupid stuff.

More like 50/50 with him and KD

you think its 50/50? whoa. Thats crazy. I see that youre a thunder fan can you explain to me why you think its 50/50? I just want a real fans point of view. I am not a fan of them but I watch their games and alot of the choices WB makes I scratch my head all the time.

Last edited:
I don't know how Russ could be torn down by the media when dude has gotten more than his fair share of criticism from the media and has lowkey acted like a shield for KD over the yearD :lol:

Dude has gotten most of the blame when things haven't gone well for OKC.

Russ gets KD the ball in the 4th and went KD can't get open with like 5 seconds left on the clock Russ had to shoot it. IE when CP3 somehow locked up KD and he couldn't get the ball against him in the post when OKC played the clips in the west semi's. Or when KD gets passive because he is worried about his FG%. Or when Tony Allen was giving him hell when OKC played the grizz in the playoffs twice.

More like 50/50 with him and KD
if we talking just wcf , i would agree. they both played horrible. if we talking bout regular season , its not even close. westbrook is a low iq player and always does the dumbest things in crunch time. dude is the epitome of outta control. 

KD was lucky that Russ didn't care about being the meat shield of criticism for him because when the OKC media called KD unreliable you could tell that bothered him. 

if we talking just wcf , i would agree. they both played horrible. if we talking bout regular season , its not even close. westbrook is a low iq player and always does the dumbest things in crunch time. dude is the epitome of outta control. 

this, this, and this.

If you re-watch game 7 of the WCF. They had a livelook-in on the Thunder lockerroom during pregame. Tucked away in KD's locker? Those same shoes in the GS colorway.

Jk

If you play KD's MVP speech backwards you can hear "I'm going to join the **** boys in GS"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom