2016 Official NBA Off-Season Thread: Former Greatness

Ofcourse Melo just had his worst individual season. Who was suppose to help him out? Calderon? Afflalo? Sasha ***** Vujacic? Langston Galloway? No one mentions how his defense improved tremendously, how his 3pt% got better, or how his rebounding went up also right? When KP was hot we were a .500 team midway through the season. Then Melo tripped over that ref and everything went to ****.

He's not gonna need to carry a bunch of bums anymore. Rose is still very well respected around the league. He missed games last year because of small injuries and rest. Nothing major.

This team has a bunch of players that have great work ethic and are all out to prove something. Complete different make up than last year or years before.

We improved offensively and defensively. To say we're gonna win 45-50 games is not a stretch.

Last edited:
Of course a lot of things has to go right to get 55 wins. That's why the OP said that 55 wins was the ceiling.

From the reactions in here, you would think he had said that 55 wins was the floor :lol:

If by everything going right you mean signing LeBron, then I agree, 55 is a reasonable ceiling.

Are you for real?

Huh? Are you for real?

You said if EVERYTHING was to go right that they still wouldn't get 55 wins.

So you're saying if the whole team is completely healthy.. Rose plays 82 games. Noah plays 82 games. Rose plays like the former mvp he was, if not better. Noah plays exactly like he did during his best season. The team completely gels. Porzingis levels up like he's expected to.

You still think the Knicks wouldn't get 55 wins then?

You are buggin, good sir.

So you're saying if the whole team is completely healthy.. Rose plays 82 games. Noah plays 82 games. Rose plays like the former mvp he was, if not better. Noah plays exactly like he did during his best season. The team completely gels. Porzingis levels up like he's expected to.

Thats not a ceiling that you're describing that's fantasy :lol:

And if all of that were to happen they still wouldn't win 55 games. What you just described is too farfetched to be that team's ceiling. When we say "if everything goes right" we arent talking about unrealistic scenarios. A team's ceiling should be in tandem with what's realistic for that team. What you described isnt realistic at all man

Last edited:
"Rose plays like the former MVP he once was"

This isn't happening ever.

Also RIP Nate Thurmond.

Last edited:

Thats not a ceiling that you're describing that's fantasy :lol:

And if all of that were to happen they still wouldn't win 55 games. What you just described is too farfetched to be that team's ceiling. When we say "if everything goes right" we arent talking about unrealistic scenarios. A team's ceiling should be in tandem with what's realistic for that team. What you described isnt realistic at all man

I agree, it's an unrealistic scenario. But by the same token, you clearly don't understand the concept of the words 'if everything goes right'

You could've just said, a lot of things could go right but it still ain't gonna happen :lol:

Last edited:
I agree, it's an unrealistic scenario. But by the same token, you clearly don't understand the concept of the words 'if everything goes right'

Nah you have it wrong.

Everything goes right isn't everything goes perfect.

Again, a team's ceiling is in conjunction with what can happen if everything goes right for A team, not if every player on the team has career years and plays 82 games.

You saying player's ceilings are who they were six years ago and **** :lol:

Ofcourse Melo just had his worst individual season. Who was suppose to help him out? Calderon? Afflalo? Sasha ***** Vujacic? Langston Galloway? No one mentions how his defense improved tremendously, how his 3pt% got better, or how his rebounding went up also right? When KP was hot we were a .500 team midway through the season. Then Melo tripped over that ref and everything went to ****.

He's not gonna need to carry a bunch of bums anymore. Rose is still very well respected around the league. He missed games last year because of small injuries and rest. Nothing major.

This team has a bunch of players that have great work ethic and are all out to prove something. Complete different make up than last year or years before.

We improved offensively and defensively. To say we're gonna win 45-50 games is not a stretch.
individually He's never had issues getting 25+ & he's been on some injury ravaged, garbage teams. We're talking about one of most prolific scorers ever and you're giving me excuses as to why he individually was unable to get buckets.

His rebound rate was not a career high, nor was his 3 ball %. We've him seen him do better in both categories in years past, particularly in New York.

The only area where we saw a huge difference was his scoring, which fell off a cliff. Not even from an efficiency perspective, but from a VOLUME perspective.

Yea you improved but not enough to hit 55 which is what we were originally discussing.

Last edited:
I'm not going to say Ainge should've unloaded everything on draft night for Butler, but imagine Ainge walking into a meeting with Durant with Horford and Butler in hand...
Horford was in the bag right after that meeting ended and he immediately tried to recruit KD there too.

So assuming most reports of KD's thought process going into/out of those meetings were true, I doubt Jimmy Butler would've been the difference between Durant choosing GSW or Boston.

I don't know how anyone matches up with Dray recruiting KD hard during the season and right after they lose in the Finals. KD's known affinity for their coach, their camaraderie, their system. Then Steph/Klay/Iggy/Dray all show up together and say, "we need you here. let's become a dynasty." Well damn.
laugh.gif
And if that wasn't enough, here comes Jerry West wrapping it up in that phone call and being able to relate to him.

Having Jimmy there helps, but that's an awful lot to compete with. Hindsight is 20/20...I really don't think it ultimately changes his decision though.

On a related note, I saw this earlier in the morning from the Herald:
Chicago was looking at that option when it held serious talks with the Celts prior to the draft about Jimmy Butler. According to agents with interest in the matter, the asking price for the 26-year-old scorer was very high, and the C’s got protective at a certain point.

The initial key for the Bulls was the third overall pick from last month’s draft and the ability to select Providence guard Kris Dunn. The aforementioned sources added that the Celtics were willing to add one player from their rotation when Chicago wanted a second.

“Another sticking point in that and in other deals Boston is talking about is that pick from the Nets next year,” said one of these sources. “Danny will make it available in the right situation, but he’s not going to give it up with core players, too. That’s going to be a good draft, and that’s going to be a high pick.

“Everyone’s been talking about how Danny’s trying to make a killing out here, but when it comes to certain pieces you have, I get that you have to be careful. You can give up equal assets, but you don’t want to take away your best opportunities to keep things going down the line.”
I wish we knew which guys from the Celtics roster they haggled over. I think 2 players + #3 pick is a fair asking price. One of the league's best 2 way players in his prime (and under control for the next 2 years) SHOULD fetch you a high draft pick + 2 rotational players. I see what Ainge is trying to do, but the Bulls were very reasonable asking for that.

IMO the 2017 Nets pick is a different story though.
laugh.gif
I think that's their best asset and wouldn't include it in the Jimmy deal.

Last edited:
I'm not going to say Ainge should've unloaded everything on draft night for Butler, but imagine Ainge walking into a meeting with Durant with Horford and Butler in hand...

Horford was in the bag right after that meeting ended and he immediately tried to recruit KD there too.

So assuming most reports of KD's thought process going into/out of those meetings were true, I doubt Jimmy Butler would've been the difference between Durant choosing GSW or Boston.

I don't know how anyone matches up with Dray recruiting KD hard during the season and right after they lose in the Finals. KD's known affinity for their coach, their camaraderie, their system. Then Steph/Klay/Iggy/Dray all show up together and say, "we need you here. let's become a dynasty." Well damn. :lol: And if that wasn't enough, here comes Jerry West wrapping it up in that phone call and being able to relate to him.

Having Jimmy there helps, but that's an awful to compete with. Hindsight is 20/20...I really don't think it ultimately changes his decision though.

On a related note, I saw this earlier in the morning from the Herald:

Chicago was looking at that option when it held serious talks with the Celts prior to the draft about Jimmy Butler. According to agents with interest in the matter, the asking price for the 26-year-old scorer was very high, and the C’s got protective at a certain point.

The initial key for the Bulls was the third overall pick from last month’s draft and the ability to select Providence guard Kris Dunn. The aforementioned sources added that the Celtics were willing to add one player from their rotation when Chicago wanted a second.

“Another sticking point in that and in other deals Boston is talking about is that pick from the Nets next year,” said one of these sources. “Danny will make it available in the right situation, but he’s not going to give it up with core players, too. That’s going to be a good draft, and that’s going to be a high pick.

“Everyone’s been talking about how Danny’s trying to make a killing out here, but when it comes to certain pieces you have, I get that you have to be careful. You can give up equal assets, but you don’t want to take away your best opportunities to keep things going down the line.”

I wish we knew which guys from the Celtics roster they haggled over. I think 2 players + #3 pick is a fair asking price. One of the league's best 2 way players in his prime (and under control for the next 2 years) SHOULD fetch you a high draft pick + 2 rotational players. I see what Ainge is trying to do, but the Bulls were very reasonable asking for that.

IMO the 2017 Nets pick is a different story though. :lol: I think that's their best asset and wouldn't include that in the Jimmy deal.
Probably Bradley and Crowder,who Ainge love and have the best contracts in the league.

Melo back in the City, with the people :pimp:. ***** needs to stop fronting like he from NYC :lol:.

I was on his block not too long ago. Right next door to his old crib actually. It's cruddy round there :smh:

Last edited:
As somebody who enjoys watching the nba, I hope the Knicks get back into top form. I enjoyed rooting against them back in the day.

48 Wins for the Knicks...

I fully expect the Hawks to win 55-60 games, and another ECF appearance.

Dwight resurgence :smokin

Ainge is trying to finesse some teams out there and GMs are wary of being made fools of. Especially if Ainge is out there lowballing folks.

I think 2 of those guys and the pick would have been more than fair for both sides. Maybe  a bit too much for Butler because of his attitude issues.. but that's the price you pay.

I think they totally whiffed on their draft selection though. I'd much rather have taken Dunn and either moved him or Thomas or figured something out. It was a tough spot to be in, but I think he was the BPA. 

Holding onto the next year's pick from the Nets is smart on their behalf, of course.. but part of me would find it funny if after all these draft picks and assets and hype.. they don't get anyone.

I'm also a salty Knicks fan who is jealous of any team who can actually horde picks and players. Then again, we have a ceiling of 55 wins, so I'm not too worried right now.

Back
Top Bottom