2016 Official NBA Off-Season Thread: Former Greatness

What is the context of all these players talking about winning gold medals? They're probably just saying it so they don't **** all over the competition they're currently in. Every time the olympics roll around our stars speak very highly of the importance in winning a gold medal and what it means to them. Probably just easier to make fun of someone like Melo or DJ because of their situation in the NBA.

What situation is that? You can never count anyone out of a ring. This summer KD proved the whole don't be shocked if a superstar plays with 3 other superstars. Dj could very well end up getting a ring. Look at RJ right before we went out after being there before he got his ring. Jason kidd is another guy who had a shot didn't make it and towards the end got his shot. So you can make fun of them now but you don't know what their careers hold. They could really value being apart of a usa Olympic team.

Melo's résumé and DJ being a clipper. Easy for people to poke fun at them even though they're saying the same rehashed answers as every USA star with rings or not. That's all im saying. Who cares.

Hmm...so apparently Lebron made a similar comment back in 2007

I'm going to go with these guys wanting to come across patriotic over the idea that they really believe this.
it's like when people say they kids are the best thing to ever happen to them.

Or after a bad hangover that they never drinking again.

Or LeBron saying he didn't get David blatt fired

Or your baby is so cute.

People are full of ish . Don't nobody believe gold medal>NBA championship

Last edited:

I'm going to go with these guys wanting to come across patriotic over the idea that they really believe this.

Or your baby is so cute.
roll.gif

The 1st one I truly believe for people.... the last 2... I get your point

“This is bigger. Being a part of the game on Sunday is the biggest thing for me, ever.

“When I got to the Finals, I thought that was big. But winning an NBA championship would never compare to winning a gold medal for my country.”
Funny thing is in 2007 LeBron didn't have a ring..... 

Ask him that in 2012 in London fresh off his 1st ring.... that answer may be different 
laugh.gif

Or LeBron saying he didn't get David blatt fired

Or your baby is so cute.

People are full of ish . Don't nobody believe gold medal>NBA championship

My daughter is the best thing to happen to me tho. Lol

LeBrons answer would probably stay the same because he never felt that way to begin with.

I feel like Kobe also made a comment about the gold meaning more to him as well after having rings.

Last edited:
LeBrons answer would probably stay the same because he never felt that way to begin with.

I feel like Kobe also made a comment about the gold meaning more to him as well after having rings.

Kobe def didn't say that

yeah I definitely didn't say that in confidence. But still, who cares what these dudes are saying about comparing the olympics to the NBA. Especially when they're currently competing in the olympics.

Last edited:

Kobe def didn't say that
He def did.
"This has a greater significance than anything I've ever been part of," he said at the U.S. Olympic basketball team's practice Saturday, his voice strangely familiar.

Entering today's nutty Olympic opener against host China -- "It will be the highest-energy game I've ever been part of," he said -- Bryant has decided there's something bigger than Lakerland.

And to Lakers fans who are angry when he said bringing home a gold medal is bigger than winning an NBA championship, well, he has a message.

"So what?" he said. "If they don't understand this, they don't know what they're talking about. It's simple. You're playing for your country!"

"That's the first time I'd ever heard those 'USA' chants in person, and it was the most amazing thing ever," Bryant said. "Nobody in L.A. wants to win for the Lakers more than me, everybody knows it. But this is something totally different."

"I've never been part of something this big before," Bryant said.
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/aug/10/sports/sp-olyplaschke10

Last edited:

That was before he even had a chip

Of course bruh said that to hype up the gold medal achievement. He was still sweating the fact he may never get a chip 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I doubt LeBron said it cause he was sweating he would never get a ring at age 22 coming off a Finals appearance. He said it because they ALL say it.

I guess I was right, Kobe did say it after winning 3 rings. Good lookin JD617

Last edited:
I'll have to find the quotes after the 2009 chip but it was a decidedly different tune he sung after that ring. You have to remember the context of that summer, just got embarrassed by the Celtics in that game 6 abs still had yet to win a chip as the main guy.

Kobe def didn't say that

He def did.

"This has a greater significance than anything I've ever been part of," he said at the U.S. Olympic basketball team's practice Saturday, his voice strangely familiar.

Entering today's nutty Olympic opener against host China -- "It will be the highest-energy game I've ever been part of," he said -- Bryant has decided there's something bigger than Lakerland.

And to Lakers fans who are angry when he said bringing home a gold medal is bigger than winning an NBA championship, well, he has a message.

"So what?" he said. "If they don't understand this, they don't know what they're talking about. It's simple. You're playing for your country!"

"That's the first time I'd ever heard those 'USA' chants in person, and it was the most amazing thing ever," Bryant said. "Nobody in L.A. wants to win for the Lakers more than me, everybody knows it. But this is something totally different."

"I've never been part of something this big before," Bryant said.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/aug/10/sports/sp-olyplaschke10

Seeing these comments should tell you everything you need to know about Kobe's mentaility. No wonder he's never won anything.

They only saying that for the PR.. People only care about Olympic basketball if some team is able to upset the US

Did I really just read for the last couple pages that keyboard warriors are telling people they've never met or know personally, that their opinions on the Olympics are wrong? These guys on team USA are risking injury and will likely be more fatigued for next season because of the Olympics. Yet, they want to go play for the country in the Olympics. It is possible that the Olympics mean more then a nba championship. Why do you guys have to **** all over everybody?

Gold kinda is more of an accomplishment than NBA ring. To even make the team u gotta be one of the best players in the world. To get an NBA ring u just gotta be coachable. Being a top 15 NBA talent is harder than being coachable.

Gold kinda is more of an accomplishment than NBA ring. To even make the team u gotta be one of the best players in the world. To get an NBA ring u just gotta be coachable. Being a top 15 NBA talent is harder than being coachable.
Tell that to harrison barnes who wasn't even a top 5 player on his team last year.

Technically, i was the best thing to happen to my kids. Without me, they wouldn't be here

:stoneface:

I kid

Last edited:
Hyland Jordan needs to stop it along with every NBA member that peddles this nonsense.

FIBA basketball is the same place where NBA players at one point weren't even allowed to play because they knew what it was and rag tag teams of 19 year olds were still washing professional international players.

Since NBA players started playing America has lost once and who knows if they will lose again. The lack of parity alone makes FIBA basketball below the NBA.

That's if they believe it, which I hope none of them do. Hell even the Europeans don't consider the Olympics the pinnacle of basketball, they care WAY more about Eurobasket and the FIBA world championships.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom