2017 NBA Playoffs Thread - CLE @ BOS Game 5 on TNT

Status
Not open for further replies.
the way lebron is playing the minutes the consecutive finals his knees are gonna explode in a couple years. im shocked he lasted this long without a serious injury guy is huge.

I mean if we're keeping it a buck Kobe and the midrange isn't someone you would bring up as an example

He was never that good in that area, just shot a ton of them, most of which were contested

I just brought up Kobe, because he had the same progression as MJ. Was he a great mid-range shooter? No, thats not what we're discussing. We're talking about the evolution of Kobe's game similar to MJ. You lose speed and strength, which will result you into taking more midrange shots.

MJ was a far better mid-range shooter than kobe ever was. Not sure why you think MJ was terrible at the mid-range.

the way lebron is playing the minutes the consecutive finals his knees are gonna explode in a couple years. im shocked he lasted this long without a serious injury guy is huge.

You know how the saying goes: The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

It's just a fact of life. No one or thing is exempt from this.

Last edited:
I just brought up Kobe, because he had the same progression as MJ. Was he a great mid-range shooter? No, thats not what we're discussing. We're talking about the evolution of Kobe's game similar to MJ. You lose speed and strength, which will result you into taking more midrange shots.

MJ was a far better mid-range shooter than kobe ever was. Not sure why you think MJ was terrible at the mid-range.

You said Jordan's twilight years I took that as him with the wizards

He wasn't terrible there but he was pretty awful. If you don't take any 3's (which he didn't, not even in Chicago) then I doubt even he with the bulls was a good enough shooter from the midrange to make that an efficient shot, especially since I assume he took a ton of them.

I forgot to mention, long twos, don't take them.
Anything from 18 footers and under are preferred.

Chris Paul has the right idea but he just needs to do more frequent.

If CP0 is so elite from mid range why doesn't he take more shots than he does from there? Seems with the way he does pick and roll it'd help his team more if he was even more aggressive, no [emoji]129300[/emoji]

You said Jordan's twilight years I took that as him with the wizards

He wasn't terrible there but he was pretty awful. If you don't take any 3's (which he didn't, not even in Chicago) then I doubt even he with the bulls was a good enough shooter from the midrange to make that an efficient shot, especially since I assume he took a ton of them.

I wish there was advanced stats for Jordan's last few years in Chicago. All I could find is his Adv. Stats for his years in Washington.

01-02

Avg distance: 13.7
FG% by Distance (0-3ft): 62%
FG% by Distance (10-16ft): 42%
FG% by Distance (16

LeBron's body, athleticism, durability, ect. is already an anomaly at this point though. I dont think anyone knows what LeBron's future holds.

I forgot to mention, long twos, don't take them.
Anything from 18 footers and under are preferred.

Chris Paul has the right idea but he just needs to do more frequent.

I dislike CP3 very much, but this is a great video supplementing your point.

I could see him aging like Karl Malone. Didn't he win an MVP at like age 35?

If CP0 is so elite from mid range why doesn't he take more shots than he does from there? Seems with the way he does pick and roll it'd help his team more if he was even more aggressive, no [emoji]129300[/emoji]

He put on a mid range exhibition for 6 games in the playoffs this year.

I wish there was advanced stats for Jordan's last few years in Chicago. All I could find is his Adv. Stats for his years in Washington.

01-02

Avg distance: 13.7
FG% by Distance (0-3ft): 62%
FG% by Distance (10-16ft): 42%
FG% by Distance (16

he's exceptionally good from the mid range but I don't know the reason why he doesn't take it more. 

**shrug**

CP3 have always been passive as a Clippers. #CheckMyStats 

The focus of the game back then wasn't on 3s at all it was post game and mid range. Shooting 41% on that volume has to be put in the context of the time.

he's exceptionally good from the mid range but I don't know the reason why he doesn't take it more. 
**shrug**

More focused on the 3-ball and aggressively scoring or assisting inside.

If CP3 goes to SAS, you better believe he'll take a lot more shots in the mid-range. Pop and Spurs damn near want the mid-range these days :lol:

The focus of the game back then wasn't on 3s at all it was post game and mid range. Shooting 41% on that volume has to be put in the context of the time.

Again, I don't have the full adv. stats to prove the point. It's simply more of an optics assessment.

But you're right. MJ shot way more in the mid-range and paint than he ever did from the 3. The number may presumably be skewed, but he was deadly in that department.

The footwork alone gave him the advantage.

If CP3 goes to SAS, you better believe he'll take a lot more shots in the mid-range. Pop and Spurs damn near want the mid-range these days :lol:

Yup it'd actually be too perfect of a fit if he could not dominate the ball so much. Maybe even bring LMA back to life with his pick n pop game.

**shrug**

And look at what catching the ball at 18 ft does for TP tonight when the defense collapses on him. He drives into the teeth with no explosion.

Too bad he only shoots catch and shoot corner 3s

Again, I don't have the full adv. stats to prove the point. It's simply more of an optics assessment.

But you're right. MJ shot way more in the mid-range and paint than he ever did from the 3. The number may presumably be skewed, but he was deadly in that department.

The footwork alone gave him the advantage.

His career high in 3 point attempts was 3.6 and only took 3 a game 3 outta his 10 years in Chicago. The rest of the time he was under 2 a game yet still averaged 31.5 ppg.

Yup it'd actually be too perfect of a fit if he could not dominate the ball so much. Maybe even bring LMA back to life with his pick n pop game.

CP3 pounds the rock way too much for a SAS offense. If he could ever shake that awful habit, he'd probably elevate his game a bit more under Pop. Look at what it did for Tony Parker. CP3 would've been incredible under Pop.

And look at what catching the ball at 18 ft does for TP tonight when the defense collapses on him. He drives into the teeth with no explosion.

Too bad he only shoots catch and shoot corner 3s

TP got caught up with age. He did his thing post-2004 when he came back with that jump shot.

His career high in 3 point attempts was 3.6 and only took 3 a game 3 outta his 10 years in Chicago. The rest of the time he was under 2 a game yet still averaged 31.5 ppg.

FTA must've been very then. Make sense, because the bulk of his FGA was from the free throw line down.

Last edited:
I mean Chris Paul when it comes to the midrange is an anomaly in itself

He shot 51% from the midrange this year while taking 5 3's a game and making over 40% of them.

Him with the spurs would be more or less like this so idk if him in sas is more of a "perfect" fit than him in lac now

Paul is basketball savvy enough with an IQ to fit with whatever Pop does if need be.

Not sure if CP3 would've been okay changing his game earlier in his career. But I do think he'd change it up now, if needed.

The real question is, would he still be flopping? Or controlling the team? Everywhere CP3 has gone, he's controlled the complexion of the team and left his fingerprint on the culture i.e. crying to refs, encouraging flops etc

It would be a stark change for him, to say the least by not having so much control with the team and players. Not sure if he's submissive or subservient enough to take on that role under Pop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom