2018/19 Philadelphia 76ers Thread: The Process Continues

Eyyyyy!!! I was sweatin for a second, so Jerry was the reason it took so long. Either way, this is great news for the Sixers.

Thank you Bill Simmons for bringing this out there. Now we will have a competent GM who will be able to assemble a team to beat Boston.

Brown will take on an interim GM role until they hire a real GM. I don't mind this at all, Brown is well respected and has an excellent assistant coach who is just as respected. They will do fine evaluating talent for the draft. What won't be happening though are draft day trades unfortunately.

Now let's just hope the Cavs get swept so that we can start the free agency talk with him.

Candidates who may take over as Sixers GM

David Griffin - Griffin spent seven years in the Cleveland Cavaliers front office, three as the general manager, before parting ways last summer after his contract was not renewed. Griffin was responsible for clearing the way for LeBron James’ return to the Cavaliers and orchestrated the building of the roster that led to Cleveland’s 2016 NBA championship. James was reportedly not happy with the decision to let Griffin walk. If the Sixers are hoping to land James in the offseason, having a familiar face could be a nice selling point.

Brian Wright
Wright is another person who could be a familiar face if the Sixers are looking to land a big fish. Wright worked his way from intern to assistant GM with the Detroit Pistons before joining the San Antonio Spurs as assistant GM in the 2016 offseason. He’s highly regarded in NBA circles and mentioned in nearly every conversation that surrounds a vacant front-office position. His connection with the Spurs organization not only connects him to Brett Brown, but also gives him familiarity with Kawhi Leonard, who could end up being a target for the Sixers in the offseason.

Mike Zarren
Zarren was already in the running for the 76ers’ general manager position before withdrawing from consideration; the job went to Sam Hinkie. Zarren has spent his entire life as a Boston Celtics fan and the entirety of his career with the Celtics, for whom he is assistant GM. His love for Boston might be the only thing keeping him from being GM of his own team. Zarren is incredibly respected around the league and known for being one of the forward-thinking and analytics-based minds, bringing praise from the likes of Hinkie and Daryl Morey.

Marc Eversley
Eversley is the most likely candidate for the Sixers to turn to internally. Currently the Sixers’ vice president of player personnel, Eversley is highly regarded by ownership and respected around the league. He will no doubt have a large role in the next few weeks with scouting draft prospects as the Sixers conduct their GM search. But, in the wake of Colangelo’s departure, the Sixers might be looking for an outside hire rather than promoting from within.

Who’s the dumb reporter asking about Sam hinkie. Like dude, let t go. The league ain’t gonna let Hinkie back in

Who’s the dumb reporter asking about Sam hinkie. Like dude, let t go. The league ain’t gonna let Hinkie back in

As much as I hate to admit it, there's no amount of second round picks that will bring Hinkie back.

76EED6DD-DE69-4AB5-ACB3-B896848D189D.thumb.jpeg.cc85fa5354e214187c315550e99c4502.jpeg

So....IF we miss out on LeBron, PG, and Leonard...should the Sixers inquire about Dame?

The jury is still out on Fultz, but one thing I question about him is his ceiling. It used to be Brandon Roy but I think it's been lowered quite a bit. Will he ever reach Dame level? I hope so, but I don't know.

Defensively, I think Fultz has been quite solid. Maybe it's something to ponder about mid season before the trade deadline to see the following:
  • Can Fultz really get his shot back? Did he ever have an NBA 3 point range to begin with? (his stats showed something like shooting only 2 NBA range 3s in college, can't remember where I saw it)
  • Is Dame's team still struggling to take a step forward which is most likely the case.
By no means am I giving up on Fultz, but with the way Noel and Jah worked out, I'd rather we sell high the way we did with our last rookie of the year...MCW. So I think we should at least keep our eyes open.

We’re a 50+ win team with the roster as it stands right now, and our young players should only keep getting better. We should definitely proceed with caution when it comes to trading any of them away. Lillard would help us a lot but I have to wonder if it would take Fultz, Dario, Covington and #10 just to get him.

We’re a 50+ win team with the roster as it stands right now, and our young players should only keep getting better. We should definitely proceed with caution when it comes to trading any of them away. Lillard would help us a lot but I have to wonder if it would take Fultz, Dario, Covington and #10 just to get him.

I think the core is a 50-win team (Embid, Simmons, Dario, and hopefully Fultz). To get over the hump tho, everyone else needs to be upgraded. I don't like Covington at all. Reddick is getting old as dirt and can't defend. Neither can Belineli or Ilyasova (sp.). TLC needs to spend all summer working on his game or ship him out too. They also need a young back-up center that can defend the post if BB isn't going to trust Holmes.

I think the core is a 50-win team (Embid, Simmons, Dario, and hopefully Fultz). To get over the hump tho, everyone else needs to be upgraded. I don't like Covington at all. Reddick is getting old as dirt and can't defend. Neither can Belineli or Ilyasova (sp.). TLC needs to spend all summer working on his game or ship him out too. They also need a young back-up center that can defend the post if BB isn't going to trust Holmes.

Redick isn’t terrible at defense, Brad Stevens just put an emphasis on exposing him and Belinelli on that end and it worked. None of the three of them looked “old as dirt” this past year and were a big reason we won the amount of games we did. We were extremely fortunate to be able to sign them and we better get some really good replacements or Fultz and Bolden better be ready to play at least at that level this year.

Ben-JJ-Covington-Dario-Embiid with TJ-Fultz-Bridges-Jonah-Holmes is still really good without us even making any additions, but I do feel like to make the next jump we need that go-to guy at the end of games. We basically need to come away with LeBron, PG, Kawhi, Lillard or CJ this offseason unless Fultz makes a tremendous leap into the player we thought we were drafting #1 overall and the player we draft at #10 has a huge immediate impact.

Proceeding with caution is the key here.

Obviously Leonard, LeBron and PG all have a certain amount of urgency.

But I don't think we make a move on Lillard unless he demands a trade or just wait until the trade deadline.

I wonder if there's any traction with any GMs so far. Haven't really heard much lately.

Back
Top Bottom