2019-20 NFL thread: Thread's dead. Move into spacedoodoo's

Mack's last half of season wasn't that nice tbh
Regardless Khalil Mack is still the 1B to Aaron Donald's 1A on the defensive side of the football. Nobody else is in that supreme tier. Von Miller and J.J. Watt are close, but still, you can see a noticeable difference.

That trade Ryan Pace pulled off with Oakland changed the entire complexion of Chicago's defense and actually, the whole complexion of their season.

I know for damn sure Gruden wants his own guy at QB to mold.

Wonder if he opens the vault of picks for Murray or takes Haskins.

You dont think they couldnt build around his talent on defense moving forward?

No.

He was on the team for years and they drafted terribly on defense. ( Conly (who they didn’t even play) Eddie, Obi (see Conly), Karl (see Obi), and two DEs. Nothing built in that window, they regressed and couldn’t coach their assets and didn’t know what they had.

I think Mack is scheme dependent, he started off last year on fire and it was fun to watch. After what... the 6th game I didn’t hear his name mentioned again. It wouldn’t have been a good investment for the Raiders.

Raiders currently have few assets... QB, Majority of an OLine built... not much else.

Giving only a 3rd and 5th is a damn steal. Cowboys gave up a 1st round pick for an inconsistent middle of the pack WR.
You have to figure the reworked contract scared some teams off from paying higher pick compensation. Like GB and whoever else was rumored to be linked with AB.

But you're right, I'm still surprised the Raiders kept all four of their selections within the top 35. That's nasty, as long as Oakland drafts well.

Regardless Khalil Mack is still the 1B to Aaron Donald's 1A on the defensive side of the football. Nobody else is in that supreme tier. Von Miller and J.J. Watt are close, but still, you can see a noticeable difference.

That trade Ryan Pace pulled off with Oakland changed the entire complexion of Chicago's defense and actually, the whole complexion of their season.

As a Raider fan who has Mack as his favorite player since we got C Wood, Mack disappears for more games than people recognize. He's an all time talent and I'd rather have him than not, just was making that observation.

Good thing he's never done that before

Let's be real, they gave up a third rounder for a guy who has been in the top 5 in production for the last three or four years.

It's still **** the raiders forever, but I think this is a solid low risk move for them

I think Mack is scheme dependent, he started off last year on fire and it was fun to watch. After what... the 6th game I didn’t hear his name mentioned again. It wouldn’t have been a good investment for the Raiders.
Whoa, Khalil Mack is not scheme dependent, man. Nobody in the NFL performs like he did in that first SNF game vs. GB every single week. That's unrealistic to expect. You don't think all the attention Mack draws in pass protection significantly benefits Akiem Hicks, Leonard Floyd, Roquan Smith, etc. getting to the QB?

If you argument is that Oakland at the time didn't know how to build properly around Mack defensively, then that's another story. Like I said, Mack and Donald are in a defensive tier of their own.

Literally worst case scenario here the raiders are out of a 5th rounder. If they let AB walk they are likely going to get a third back in compensatory picks

Wanna get this off my chest too. For all the people that criticize Antonio Brown for being a 'diva,' also recognize he's a smart businessman. I said this long ago, when I was posting infrequently, every time a star signs a new deal at a particular position, it resets the market. AB saw what Mikey Evans got. AB, who I gather is close with OBJ, saw what Beckham got. He ran to his agents, the Rosenhaus brothers, and told them to get him more money even though he just signed an extension with Pittsburgh in '17. 31 years old before the season starts, that man ain't getting another 'red panty' contract before his career ends. Cash out now. AB just added $11M to his bank account by forcing the trade to Oakland. How many players do you know in pro sports that force a trade and act like a FA by getting more money than a deal they signed two years ago? Please take notes, young kings. Get your money.

Literally worst case scenario here the raiders are out of a 5th rounder. If they let AB walk they are likely going to get a third back in compensatory picks
Pittsburgh couldn't let him walk, he's not a FA. If the Steelers didn't trade AB before March 17, he'd be due a $2.5M roster bonus. If they flat out cut him, I believe Pittsburgh would be on the hook for $21M+ in dead money against their cap.

Pittsburgh couldn't let him walk, he's not a FA. If the Steelers didn't trade AB before March 17, he'd be due a $2.5M roster bonus. If they flat out cut him, I believe Pittsburgh would be on the hook for $21M+ in dead money against their cap.

I'm talking about from the raiders perspective. Worst case here is this doesnt work out and in 3 years they let him walk and get their third rounder back in 2021

Yeah they gave up a third and fifth today, but at some point they probably get that third rounder back

I'm talking about from the raiders perspective. Worst case here is this doesnt work out and in 3 years they let him walk and get their third rounder back in 2021

Yeah they gave up a third and fifth today, but at some point they probably get that third rounder back
Gotcha, man. In terms of pure assets, there's no other perspective besides the Raiders winning the trade. Again, keeping four of their top-35 selections is huge. I thought they would part with #35, if not #27. I guess the AB market wasn't what I thought it would be given his demand for a new contract. The football side of it is another story. It's up to Gruden and Carr to get AB the football early and often if they wanna win football games.

Gotcha, man. In terms of pure assets, there's no other perspective besides the Raiders winning the trade. Again, keeping four of their top-35 selections is huge. I thought they would part with #35, if not #27. I guess the AB market wasn't what I thought it would be given his demand for a new contract. The football side of it is another story. It's up to Gruden and Carr to get AB the football early and often if they wanna win football games.

It’s not that simple. They still have the worst defense in the league.

Also weren't the initial reports that the Raiders offered a 2nd and 4th around the time the Bills deal apparently went through. If so I wonder just how many teams were actually in on Brown at that point.

It’s not that simple. They still have the worst defense in the league.
Fair enough. It's up to Mayock to fix that. Y'all have like $72M in cap space to play with and address the defensive holes. Mayock definitely needs to acquire pass-rushers and patch up the secondary. I don't think it made any sense to tender Worley at a second-round level. If the Cards really scoop Kyler at #1 like many of us suspect, it's possible Bosa or more likely Quinnen Williams falls to you guys. And those two are tops on my board regardless of position. Sweat flew up the boards so he probably won't be available at #24 or #27, but a sneaky pick would be Jeff Simmons. Tore his ACL but be patient with him, it's not like Gruden and Mayock are expecting to contend for a SB next season.

I wonder if the Steelers are picking up a portion of ABs contract from the raiders this year too. I'd be interested to see if the cap hit is reduced for them

Back
Top Bottom