2019 All Star Black Infrared Air Jordan 6

Where do you prefer the lace lock?

• Total voters
Missed out on the 2014s...definitely can’t wait for this release. As long as it’s a true retro of the original. None of that + nonsense.

I don't believe for a second that when Nike shows us images like that, that those images are a genuine capture of reality. Meaning, don't be so naive as to think those photos used for marketing purposes in stories on the SNKRS app or wherever were actually candid photos taken during real design/production meetings. I can almost guarantee you they were not. I work in print/digital media and I see images like this on a daily basis. They are called "press photos." They were staged for storytelling purposes. This is made obvious by your very observation: if they actually were putting them side by side with the OGs, they'd all be having company-mandated vision exams on the spot. There's no way you're actually "copying" the OGs and ending up with the mutated versions of retros that we see released again and again.

I hear you but they still have an ugly shoe next to the OG. Unless you are saying they made them already then just put the already made shoe by the OG and pretended to be in mid design process. Even then.. still crappy af.

I hear you but they still have an ugly shoe next to the OG. Unless you are saying they made them already then just put the already made shoe by the OG and pretended to be in mid design process. Even then.. still crappy af.

That's pretty much exactly what I'm saying. I of course don't KNOW this, but I see it all the time, and it isn't a big stretch to imagine that is what is happening here. Like I also said: the fact that the retro comes out looking like it does seems to confirm my suspicion. Otherwise, why would it come out that way if they were really seriously comparing the new shoe to the OG? If they're really doing that--building the retro off the original and are so committed to doing so--then these are some of the worst "copy" jobs of all time.

No, I'm pretty sure the reality is that Nike knows how to market, and it knows that putting the retro next to the OG in some great-looking (but no doubt scripted) images as it builds hype prior to a shoe's launch is a great way to capture attention and desire. Show us the OG, get us finding for it, and hey look, here's the new retro right next to it! See, it's the same shoe! Even though it clearly is not. At that point most people don't care, or they just overlook the differences and go with it. It happens over and over again with each releases, seems like.

The limited Air Max 1 remastered release proves Nike can ACTUALLY copy the OG when it wants to. Perhaps the same can be said for the recent Huarache 91 QS OG releases. Those Huaraches are much closer to the OGs than the other Huarache runners I have bought in the past four years. So yes, it can be done. Nike just usually chooses not to.

That's pretty much exactly what I'm saying. I of course don't KNOW this, but I see it all the time, and it isn't a big stretch to imagine that is what is happening here. Like I also said: the fact that the retro comes out looking like it does seems to confirm my suspicion. Otherwise, why would it come out that way if they were really seriously comparing the new shoe to the OG? If they're really doing that--building the retro off the original and are so committed to doing so--then these are some of the worst "copy" jobs of all time.

No, I'm pretty sure the reality is that Nike knows how to market, and it knows that putting the retro next to the OG in some great-looking (but no doubt scripted) images as it builds hype prior to a shoe's launch is a great way to capture attention and desire. Show us the OG, get us finding for it, and hey look, here's the new retro right next to it! See, it's the same shoe! Even though it clearly is not. At that point most people don't care, or they just overlook the differences and go with it. It happens over and over again with each releases, seems like.

The limited Air Max 1 remastered release proves Nike can ACTUALLY copy the OG when it wants to. Perhaps the same can be said for the recent Huarache 91 QS OG releases. Those Huaraches are much closer to the OGs than the other Huarache runners I have bought in the past four years. So yes, it can be done. Nike just usually chooses not to.
Idk. The grey on the cements is pretty identical to the Og. Not even the grey on the 1999, or 2012 is that close. They could have even used the grey on the Oreo 4 and no one would know that it’s different than the OG. I’m not sure what you’re trying to say, but they certainly do use the OGs for reference. Why else would they have lightened the black lines on the 3s EP? The 2015 Bordeaux 7 has details from the rare version of the 1992 pair like the purple Bordeaux and Olive 7 on the heel. If they didn’t have the OG right there, how would they have known to put it there.

They get shapes wrong for sure. But again, I don’t think they ever said they wanted to create 100% copies. As close as possible is very vague. It could mean anything, but what it doesn’t mean is 100% copy

D26C6C5C-E6FD-46F9-B547-7E34F69BD109.jpg

:rofl::rofl:

Honestly with that stiff pleather they are using , you will never get the same toebox as actual leather shoes.

I remember my Olympic 6 for 2000 had such buttery soft leather.

Last edited:
Idk. The grey on the cements is pretty identical to the Og. Not even the grey on the 1999, or 2012 is that close. They could have even used the grey on the Oreo 4 and no one would know that it’s different than the OG. I’m not sure what you’re trying to say, but they certainly do use the OGs for reference. Why else would they have lightened the black lines on the 3s EP? The 2015 Bordeaux 7 has details from the rare version of the 1992 pair like the purple Bordeaux and Olive 7 on the heel. If they didn’t have the OG right there, how would they have known to put it there.

They get shapes wrong for sure. But again, I don’t think they ever said they wanted to create 100% copies. As close as possible is very vague. It could mean anything, but what it doesn’t mean is 100% copy

I wasn't trying to say anything, I said it outright. Don't look at those pretty photos Nike puts out, showing the retro next to the OGs while implying the people there have made some big effort to replicate it, and take that as reality. Clearly they have not. If you read the comments prior to mine, I think it's pretty self evident why I made those comments. I have a hard time picturing the design team or whoever is involved with running these retro releases spending a lot of time in a room with the OGs and new retro prototypes. Otherwise, the results would be a lot different.

Yeah, they change a detail or two here and there to get closer to the OG, as you said. And then they put these photos out, acting like, see, we're really making these things more like the originals. Even though they barely are. It's just obvious to some of us. From a lot of your comments in various threads, I totally understand that you seem to generally be OK with most of the retros Jordan has put out lately. And that's totally fine. This stuff is all just personal preference. I'm not losing sleep over any of it, these are just shoes at the end of the day. I and some others do, however, wish they would do better, and we know they can. And yes, I roll my eyes when Nike/Jordan put out some of these images, trying to convince me (and everyone else) that they've really made something better this time around, when I can plainly see they haven't, or at best have barely made it better than the previous release(s).

In 1991 I was 10 and became a Air Jordan fan for life. The first J I wanted more than anything else, was the black infra 6. I had the calendar, the posters, the magazine clippings, the cards, the snobby rich cousin my age that had em and throw it in my face all the time, all the while being a genuine MJ/Bulls fan from the time I can remember understanding sports. My dads garage had 80s MJ posters along with Andre Dawson, Walter Payton, the Fridge, Jim Mcmahon, you get it. I grew up a Chicago sports fan and didn't even realize it. My dad was/is my true idol, so if he was into it, its legit.
So after mom telling me NO enough times and saying "too expensive its just a fad" I thought Ok I will eventually get them when I save enough money. Then I came upon the worst info I possibly could have at that time. This was just the 91 pair, and they will make a 92 pair soon. So the 91 pair is gone...forever. That was my thought. Remember, there was no retro line then so when you missed out, YOU MISSED OUT. It was devastating to think that at ten years old, when all you wanted so bad was the shoes you see your hero wearing all over TV and ads. I laugh at this now. But at that period of time it was serious.
My point in saying all this is, that memory makes me appreciate having what I do have now. Maybe that's why I don't have the scrutiny that several have in here. I want the true OG back just like everyone else, but I understand it will never be that way either. So that's why I enjoy what I do have.

Last edited:
As much as I study and analyze the OGs, I’ve bought the 2000, and I bought the 2014. I’ll buy these no matter what they look like. It’s kinda the price of being born too late lol. I either get the retro, or I spend money on a mantle piece that can’t even be worn. I’m a huge aesthetic guy. Outside of sneakers, I’m a photographer and cinema nerd. As long as the aesthetic is captured, I’m satisfied, even if it’s a little. When the Og is closely captured, I’m even more satisfied.

I wish Jordan brand operated differently, but it is what it is. Even if they hired a team of NTers, I doubt the big wigs would let you all give the public the exact OG.

My point in saying all this is, that memory makes me appreciate having what I do have now. Maybe that's why I don't have the scrutiny that several have in here. I want the true OG back just like everyone else, but I understand it will never be that way either. So that's why I enjoy what I do have.

I for one totally get that. For whatever reason, it's just manifested differently in me over the years. I'm a bit older than you, and the IVs (fire red) were my first Jordans. Then everything after that until the IX, plus loads of other Nikes. The shoes our hero wore are what I wanted to wear, too, and I was fortunate to have what I had back then and I cherished those things. I also liked the Jordans I liked, though, because of how they looked, how they were shaped, that sort of thing. So when I these days think how much I would enjoy wearing them again, it is extra-disappointing to me when certain retros come out and are just not right. I have a really, really hard time seeing past it. There was a period in the 2000s where just like you, I was just happy to have them again and bought loads of stuff and didn't care. For whatever reason, somewhere along the way I realized I do care. I can live with small changes, I'm not THAT much of a stickler for absolute perfection. But as I've said before, when I see what they've done to, say, the III in particular, it bums me out because I've NEVER had a true pair of white/cement IIIs, one of my favorite shoes of all time. And I want them bad. But the version they've been pumping out for years isn't really even the same shoe to me. So I don't buy them. And it really does bum me out.

Remastered in Hollywood= Crisper picture, better color correction, revised aspect ratio, clearer audio.
Basically, the original but better.

Remastered at Jordan means something completely different. I wish they chose another word.

I wish they would just make the goddang shoes better. If they did that, I couldn't care less what they called it, if they called it anything at all LOL

My true prediction is these will not have 3m. Good nubuck uppers. Super high tongue. Clear ice soles with max orange color accents. Nike Air obviously. PE retro from 91 finals. The ankle bump detail will stay the same as it has been. Same as heel.

My true prediction is these will not have 3m. Good nubuck uppers. Super high tongue. Clear ice soles with max orange color accents. Nike Air obviously. PE retro from 91 finals. The ankle bump detail will stay the same as it has been. Same as heel.
They’ve already fixed that on last year’s 6s. Especially the White Gatorade 6. The 2014 was literally flat compared to the 2014 white Infrared, which is flat compared to 2010 and prior 6s

And they will not fix the shape.

What PE retro from 91?

Please stop thinking that they use molds they dont ! materials are cut from patterns supplied by Nike to factories think blueprints not molds shoes are not poured into molds and made from liquid materials except the soles and midsoles which are the one part of shoes that are normally damn near like OGs.. also Og Durabuck is no longer produced so unless the original manufacture goes back into business this will never happen again. we will only get Nubuck moving forward! back in the day rumors stated that Nike destroyed the original patterns after a shoe was retired way before retros were even thought of, not only that the factories that produced OGs are no longer the same factories making our current retros. so if you keep these things in mind its easy to believe that we will never again have shoes 100 percent same as OGs!

We could though. adidas has done it in the past, and if they aren’t 100 percent they can get it Atleast 95% there. Also you say these sneakers are not created via molds but they do indeed use lasts and usually sneaker companies use lasts from other shoes to make new retros to save on money which is why you’ll have several models with the same crappy shape.

Back
Top Bottom