2020-21 NBA Offseason thread: Officially a wrap

So you think they'll trade Ben after a few months?
If they don't look much different from last year, why not? Especially if you're getting a top 10 player in the league in return that your GM loves.

Teams being spiteful has just never worked. 2020 ain't going to change that. What's the end goal for the Rockets here. Sounds from the beginning they dug in their heels foolishly thinking the relationship could be saved. Harden wants a divorce, time ain't changing that.

Why would Ben and Embiid be on a short leash when everybody was saying coaching was the main problem? They’re only going to give Doc a few months or a year to work it out? What if he actually gets it to work with them? Then it's definitely off the table.
And the thing with Philly is that they were top 3 two years straight and had a down year last year because of the roster. Now that the roster is more aligned with those top 3 seasons, it really doesn't make any sense to gamble that they're not going to be solid

Reactions: MVP
And the thing with Philly is that they were top 3 two years straight and had a down year last year because of the roster. Now that the roster is more aligned with those top 3 seasons, it really doesn't make any sense to gamble that they're not going to be solid

Exactly. When they had the shooters and spacing they were really formidable. Don't see why that wouldn't be the case now. Wishing on a Sixers implosion seems like fool's gold.

Reasonable minds can disagree, but EYE wouldn’t call a team not being in a hurry to trade a guy who’s still under contract with them for three more years and set to make $100M, “spiteful.” Especially when they’ve bent over backwards for that same player for the last 6 years.

Philly still has a massive Jimmy Butler sized playmaking hole on their roster. This current roster isn't comparable to the one that played against the Raptors.

I'm holding out and saying I think I can get someone comparable to Tobias Harris or Caris Levert at literally any point in time strictly based off the fact you're gonna have to for salary matching to work.

It's not like Philly or BKN have ancillary parts that excite anyone that won't be available later in the season.
But that's not how it works tho. Just like you're saying the offers could get better, which there's no real precedent for afaik, they could easily get worse. As mid as you think a package including harris or levert is, even that could be off the table if they wanna drag this out. Harden has a lot of control over that depending on how he handles the situation whereas Houston can't do anything to actively improve the offers they're getting other than hope and wish

If they trade him for any of the packages currently on the table the Rockets are basically committing to years of the NBA limbo of mediocrity. Where they’ll be just good enough to ensure themselves of a draft pick outside of the top 10.

Rather take the risk that Jimbo has a chance of heart and decides he wants to hoop. And if he doesn’t, shift to full blow-it-up and tank mode and move him for the best package of expiring contracts and draft picks they can get.
Cant really tank since they have no pics. They gonna have to get creative and try to be a treadmill team like pre Harden and collect enough assets again

Reasonable minds can disagree, but EYE wouldn’t call a team not being in a hurry to trade a guy who’s still under contract with them for three more years and set to make $100M, “spiteful.” Especially when they’ve bent over backwards for that same player for the last 6 years.

He's really under contract for 2 more seasons including this one. And if they wait like they're other guys are suggesting then you got him for a year and a couple months.

It's not a gamble if they actually come out and play like 20-30 games of a 2019-2020 Sixers brand of basketball. That's the whole point.
When Philly had the kind of shooting around Ben and Jo that they do this year, they finished top 3. So there's no real logic in thinking they'll be the worst version of themselves in the past 4 seasons including this one

When Philly had the kind of shooting around Ben and Jo that they do this year, they finished top 3. So there's no real logic in thinking they'll be the worst version of themselves in the past 4 seasons including this one

Hence Philly "waiting and seeing" and proceeding from there.

Any team that gives up a kings ransom for a SG on the wrong side of 30 is would not be making the right choice. 2 ready players and drafts picks. I’m not gutting my team for James Harden.

Philly still has a massive Jimmy Butler sized playmaking hole on their roster. This current roster isn't comparable to the one that played against the Raptors.

What about the year before when Jimmy wasn't there? Still were 3rd in the East. I'd say this team is better than that one.

Screenshot_20201210-093327_Chrome.jpg

But that's not how it works tho. Just like you're saying the offers could get better, which there's no real precedent for afaik, they could easily get worse. As mid as you think a package including harris or levert is, even that could be off the table if they wanna drag this out. Harden has a lot of control over that depending on how he handles the situation whereas Houston can't do anything to actively improve the offers they're getting other than hope and wish
A package with a significantly lesser player than Harris or Levert seems extremely unlikely given the complications of matching Harden's dollars.

I'm just not jumping at the immediate opportunity to trade Harden for guys that are OK starters in their late 20s with no real upside left in the deal. Neither Philly or BKN has any decent assets I could look at and say "that's a lottery ticket worth taking".

This isn't a situation where they're looking at even what the Lakers were willing to give up for New Orleans to build around for a decade maybe.

They're looking at two guys that are already pretty much what they are - and it's not really very good.

Cant really tank since they have no pics. They gonna have to get creative and try to be a treadmill team like pre Harden and collect enough assets again
Houston has Portland's 2021 first rounder (assuming the Blazers make the playoffs) and then their own firsts in both 2022 and 2023. They are actually protected pretty nicely in case they did try to blow it up next year.

I think people are still missing the "IF" they aren't as good part of the sequence :lol:

I'm not projecting that Philly is going to be cheeks. I personally have them as the #2 seed in the east.

IF it doesn't work. A couple months is a lot of games to gauge that.

I think people are still missing the "IF" they aren't as good part of the sequence :lol:

I'm not projecting that Philly is going to be cheeks. I personally have them as the #2 seed in the east.

IF it doesn't work. A couple months is a lot of games to gauge that.

So you arguing for a scenario that you don't even believe is going to happen?

The East is wide open and regular season really hasn't mattered. Don't see why they'd panic even if the Sixers get off to a slow start. 3 months with a revamped roster and entirely new coach and scheme isn't a lot of time to gauge.

Last edited:
What about the year before when Jimmy wasn't there? Still were 3rd in the East. I'd say this team is better than that one.

Screenshot_20201210-093327_Chrome.jpg
When they got waxed by a Celtics team with no Kyrie and no Hayward?

:lol:

When they got waxed by a Celtics team with no Kyrie and no Hayward?

:lol:

That was in the playoffs, but Y'ALL debating if they struggle. If Ben and Joel won 52 games with THAT roster, what you think they doing with this one?

So you arguing for a scenario that you don't even believe is going to happen?

Philly is a little bit of a wild card in my opinion. So I do think there's a possibility that they come out looking similar and fans start getting loud, but I also think there's a chance they could turn the tides with all the changes they've made. Who knows? The Nets are similar. They have the talent, but will it mesh. I could see them being a 2 or a 6 seed. There are a lot of variables involved.

I'm not digging my feet in and putting bread up, I'm just saying the possibility isn't really that unrealistic that Philly is still Philly and they've had it with the pairing.

Back
Top Bottom