2021 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: Media Day...SHENANIGANS

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NBA is much more of a players league than the NFL in where guys can force their way out and have the leverage of guaranteed contracts. Out of all the leagues, NBA players probably have the most power in terms of players.

That said. Ben Simmons is not that guy. James Harden could hold an organization hostage because he’s still a top 5 to 10 player. That’s not Ben Simmons. And with him publicly saying it’s not his job to improve his trade value. I defenitely don’t see Philly going out their way to accommodate him . It’s one thing if they get the offers they want. They’ll put feelings aside, do business and trade him wherever I’m sure.

But if they’re only getting crap offers. I’m sure it makes more sense to let him miss camp and games and fine him as much you can under the collective bargaining agreement if the offers they’re getting don’t improve the team in the short or long run. If he’s going to go on F you mode, the organization can do the same.

And if this was the NFL. I would likely be on Ben Simmons side given the non guaranteed contracts and cutthroat nature. But it’s hard to feel sympathetic for him here.

As a philly fan how can you be happy with that petty scenario when your team is clearly in a win now place? How many more seasons do we expect Joel to stay healthy?

If I'm the other teams why would I improve my offer knowing Philly has no leverage? It just doesn't make any sense outside of just ego at this point for Philly NOT to trade him and get it over with.

No he didn’t. We not about to get bent over backwards because of -name redacted-

passed up a layup because he’s scared of FTs and now his feelings hurt when ppl called him out

let that BAN suffer

are you taking the Brogdon trade now ? One pick included

💯💯💯. We're 100% headed to a locked out if stuff like this keeps happening. People wonder why Bradley Beal hasn't requested a trade yet but we all know his plan. Once he signs his new supermax deal which will make him the highest paid player ever, I can almost guarantee he'll request a trade within a year unless the Wizards make a major turnaround

As as pro-player as the next guy but even I can see that this isn't sustainable for the league.

Screen-Shot-2021-09-10-at-9.11.38-PM-1568x949.jpg

💯💯💯. We're 100% headed to a locked out if stuff like this keeps happening. People wonder why Bradley Beal hasn't requested a trade yet but we all know his plan. Once he signs his new supermax deal which will make him the highest paid player ever, I can almost guarantee he'll request a trade within a year unless the Wizards make a major turnaround

As as pro-player as the next guy but even I can see that this isn't sustainable for the league.
The team is guaranteed at least 7 years with these guys. They have no problem getting rid of players after 3 years or so if they’re trash.

I definitely don’t see the problem with Beal asking for a trade after a decade of service.

The team is guaranteed at least 7 years with these guys. They have no problem getting rid of players after 3 years or so if they’re trash.

I definitely don’t see the problem with Beal asking for a trade after a decade of service.

If you really feels this way, why sign the supermax extension in the first place? Why sign the largest contract in NBA history only to turn around and request a trade 9 months later?

As a philly fan how can you be happy with that petty scenario when your team is clearly in a win now place? How many more seasons do we expect Joel to stay healthy?

If I'm the other teams why would I improve my offer knowing Philly has no leverage? It just doesn't make any sense outside of just ego at this point for Philly NOT to trade him and get it over with.

It all depends on the offer. It’s not necessarily petty either. As for the win now part. They’re a borderline contender to me. Second round is likely. But the gap between them and Brooklyn/Milwaukee is there. But unless the offer can improve them in the long run in the form of future first picks, or gives them something of use in the short term, be it cap space, players who can contribute on team friendly deals etc. Makes no sense to trade him just to trade him.

If you trade him to just get it over with and take whatever 20 cents on the dollar offer you get. All that does is embolden other lesser caliber players to do the same thing when they’re not happy. I don’t know if Ben Simmons cares either way. But the NBA collective bargaining agreement ends in 2024. Wouldn’t be surprised if the owners push for something to deter future players from pulling a Ben Simmons in those negotiations.

As for why would other teams improve their offer? Let’s say the trade deadline is nearing and they feel Ben Simmons could potentially put them over the top. There’s more incentive for them to make a more appealing deal to get their guy. The Pelicans had no leverage whatsoever in the Anthony Davis situation. He wanted out. He made it clear he wouldn’t stay long term with anyone except one team. And given those circumstances, the Pelicans got a great return from the Lakers.

I've made the Beal just wants the supermax joke, but he really seems invested in DC. No different than Dame in Portland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom